Someone New

Someone New

You were way too drunk and you knew it. You had gone out with your friends for your birthday and per tradition, everything had spiraled out of control, but in a fun way. SO now you were walking from the bar to the club, trying to sober up enough to be let in to the club.

But for some reason your friends had decided that for your birthday, they just had to embarrass you as much as possible, so they started telling everyone around you that “It’s her birthday!” and now strangers were congratulating you.

Hiding behind your best friend for a little refuge from the weirded out looks, you suddenly hear an angelic voice drifting across the street. You turn to look and see one of the most beautiful men you’ve ever seen. He’s got his eyes closed and is swaying to the music while a crowd gathers around him, both drunk and sober people absolutely enamored by his singing. As the last notes of the song ring out, a few guys in the front of the crowd erupt with cheers and laughter. The young man steps away from the buskers, bowing slightly and joining his friends, immediately enveloped in a group hug.

“Oh, He’s cute! And that voice. I’m gonna ask him to sing for you.”

“Hannah! No!”

But she’s already gone, heading straight for the guys who are still cheering for their friend.

You wish the ground would open up and swallow you whole as you see her tap the singer’s shoulder and chat to him while pointing at you. He seems confused at first, but then he laughs and waves at you, encouraging you to come over and join the conversation.

Making your way across the street, you feel your face heat up as your best friend is now talking to the whole group, all of them turning to look at you as you arrive.

“... I just heard his voice and he’s so good so I thought why not ask if he’s sing something for my friend here, or join us to go dancing!”

“This is Jungkook and his friends, Jin, Yoongi, Namjoon, Hobi, Jimin and Tae. Don’t be shy, they’re super nice!” Each of the men wave at you as your friend goes through the names, all of them smiling brightly. With a smile, you introduce yourself. Your friend quickly manages to pull the boys into a lively conversation about … anything it seems.

“Hey y/n! Happy Birthday!” The singer, Jungkook, says, shaking your hand with a big smile. “I don’t think I can ask the band to let me use them for another round of busking but thank you for the compliment, where are you girls headed? We were also planning to go out but we don’t really know which places are fun to go here.”

“Don’t worry, I loved your singing before... but I did not want you to sing for me…. I mean… It’s embarrassing for my friend to ask that from a stranger…. Your singing was beautiful though …. Are you a singer?”

He throws his head back with laughter at your stammering and you swear your heart stops at the beauty in front of you.

“I am a singer, yea. All of us are in a band together actually. But right now we are on vacation, for my birthday we managed to take a few days off, but they still wanted me to sing. I guess both of our friends like embarrassing us, huh?”

“Oh, when is your birthday?”

“Today.” He responds with another breathtaking grin.

“Oh my god! Happy Birthday! That’s so cool! I don’t know anyone else with the same birthday as me…” You laugh, shaking his hand and congratulating him. Somehow, you’re comfortable around this guy who you Just met.

“Oh, wow you two seem to have cozied up a little, huh? The boys and I have decided to head to the bigger club, but all together. You two wanna come? Let’s get smashed for your birthday, y/n.”

Exchanging a look with your birthday buddy, both of you nod in unison, thus earning you a cheer and hug from your best friend. She turns around, grabbing Namjoon’s and Hobi’s arms to have a guy on either side before she starts leading the way to the club.

Meeting the eyes of Jungkook, both of you break out laughing at Namjoon’s slightly panicked face. You start following your friend, and as the man beside you quietly grabs your hand, you can’t help but smile. This might just turn out to be the best birthday.