Leg Up

Destiny's Endgame
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Isabella's POV]

*beep beep* *beep beep*

I groan at the beeping. God, I hate that alarm. I stand up and stretch, looking out the window. It was still dark out, but as usual we start our day at five in the morning.

It's been one hell of a week, but the training has been awesome so far. First few days were, of course, tough. Five of the trainees gave up after the first day, another five in the second, and ten in the third. 

Only eight of us left now. I made a couple of friends along the way, though, three to be exact. A pretty kooky, pink-haired girl named Ryujin, who sometimes shares totally random and unrelated facts whenever she gets nervous. She's one heck of a marksman though, and always slays during gun assault exercises. On her best days, she claims to be able to shoot from a distance of up to two miles and a half.

The next one is a raven known as Yeji, who is absolutely inseparable from Ryujin. I like her since she can keep up with me during close combat sessions. She doesn't talk much when Ryujin isn't around though, just nods or shakes her head. 

The third one is a blonde named Sabrina. We keep on teasing her that she's a witch, you know the teenage witch Sabrina, and like the good sport she is, just rolls with it. But she does fight like a witch. She really likes setting up bothersome and downright scary traps. 

All four of us just sort of stuck together and became friends. 

*knock knock*

I finish washing my face and wipe it with a towel. Who'd look for me this early? I quickly change into my training clothes.

*BANG BANG*

"Coming!" I yell. "That's what she said!" Sabrina yells back. I hear Ryujin and Yeji snicker. I roll my eyes and open the door. "Hey there slowpoke, let's go grab some grub before heading to the gates of hell." Sabrina teases. 

"Man, I could eat a horse right now." Ryujin muses, rubbing her stomach. We head down the dorm hallway to the cafeteria when two demons- I mean two of our fellow trainees block our path. "Morning, Kang. Ready to get your handed to you?" asks the redhead. I sigh, "Can you at least let us eat breakfast before you start -talking us, Chloe? Plus, you only won the last capture-the-flag game because you cheated."

The big, burly guy, Sharkan, snorts. "You ain't got the proof. And we won 'cos all of you are sissies. Period." This time Yeji steps up, looking Sharkan in the eye. "I could take you on any time, any where, just say the word. But if both of you don't move in the next three seconds, I will mop the floor with your blood." 

"Oh yeah, bring it, you ing chink, I swear to-" A sudden presence made itself known. An aura full of killing intent. "Mr. Roveau, please refrain from using ethnic slurs for the rest of your stay or I will personally cut your tongue out myself. All of you should be preparing for the team matches. Now, DISPERSE!" Miss Katarina yells. 

And we all dipped after that, since we aren't stupid enough to risk our necks. Miss Katarina was an ex-KGB agent, infamous for holding grudges against rude trainees. 

We finally get to the cafeteria. Ryujin pats Yeji's back, "Are you okay?" Yeji laughs. "Of course. didn't even use the right slur. But if he called me a kimchi, well, I might've lost it right then and there."

The cafeteria always served a buffet, so we could choose whatever we wanted, even request for food that isn't in the buffet. 

Sabrina got some sausage and cheese quesadillas. Ryujin opted for a bowl of fruity pebbles with strawberry milk. Yeji and I got a healthy serving of quinoa salad with shrimps and croutons. We were quietly enjoying each of our choices when Sabrina piped up.

"Oh by the way, I found something yesterday while snooping around the lockers of a condemned building." She says while unfolding a piece of paper. "And

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter