The Ice Queen I

Snow Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Students flocked around the bulletin boards as they arrived for the first day of classes. They looked not only for their names but also for that of their friends and of those that they wanted to avoid. There was one student in particular that most of the student body would rather not have in their class. Well, it was a good thing that she wasn’t yet present. 

Sakura sighed as she waited for the light to turn so that she could get out of the stuffy limousine. Her chauffeur gave an apologetic smile as the light finally switched. It didn’t really matter to her what class she was in or who was in her class. It wasn’t it would affect her grades. They never did. She adjusted the ribbon on her blazer and checked the contents of her backpack once more. Her books were in place, her writing utensils all sharpened and her schedule neatly front and center on her binder. Despite Nako urging her to switch to a laptop, Sakura found that writing manually worked better for her.

Her limousine rolled to a stop in front of the school gates. With one more nod, Sakura’s driver bid her farewell as she put one foot out of the car. First-year students had their eyes fixated on her vehicle as they murmured to themselves. Amid the sea of new and returning students, Sakura’s eyes spotted the various club leaders and their sub-leader mingling with the new students, trying to convince them to join. Standing by the bulletin board just outside the academy lobby was the student body president, the ever dutiful Kim Chaewon. 

The student council president’s angelic face beamed as she spoke to what Sakura presumed was a new student. Out of the corner of her eye, Sakura spotted an arm waving at her. Lost amongst the sea of students was the short-statured Yabuki Nako. Sakura’s only friend. Several students looked on in amusement as Sakura approached the short Japanese girl. Nako’s uniquely wrapped ribbon stood out among the plethora of bland and standard ribbons that belonged to the first-year students. Sakura’s own stark white ribbon was like a beacon in a dark night. A symbol of a third-year student. The peculiar knot was something that only a nationally ranked student was able to display on their person.

“You’re early,” Sakura said to her friend as they began to make their way through to the class lists. “Or maybe I’m just late?” Nako rolled her eyes as she pushed her way to the front of the crowd. Sakura waited for her to finish finding her name. 

“You’re not going to look for yours?”

“It doesn’t matter to me either way.” Nako hummed. “You don’t believe me?”

“No, I do. It’s just,  maybe it should matter to you.” Sakura tilted her head, brows furrowed. “I mean, it’s your last year here at Produce Academy. You haven’t joined a club and you haven’t any friends! Don’t you think that you should change that?”

“Is there a need to though?” Sakura responded as the two of them sat underneath one of the trees in the courtyard, waiting for the morning classes to begin. “Once I’m done, I’ll be officially joining my father’s company. I won’t have the time to devote to such things. And besides, I have all the friends I need in you.”

“How are you going to do well in your job as a businesswoman if you don’t know how to build connections with people? And don’t tell me that you’re going to get other people to do that for you.”

“Well it is their job is it not?” Sakura said, hands on her knees. “My job to make sure that the company is running well, theirs is to make sure that the company has connections.”

“That’s also part of your job, you know that right?” Nako leaned against Sakura as they watched students continue to stream in. A loud laugh reached their ears. Sakura turned her head to see the captain of the basketball team speaking to a first-year that towered over her. “Doesn’t that girl kind of remind you of a puppy?” Now it was Sakura’s turn to give Nako a questioning look. “I’m kidding. Now we should start heading to class. Wouldn’t want the academy’s star student to be late for her first day.”

Sakura rolled her eyes. 

Nako disappeared into the crowd of students and began chatting away with another girl. Lightly colored with very distinct cheeks. Very cute, Sakura thought. Sakura didn’t dwell for too long on it as the first of two bells rang. This one was the warning bell. Sort of like an amber light for drivers. A signal for students to finish their preparations for the day. As students, old and new rushed to their classes, Sakura made her way back out to the bulletin board. 

“Class 3-B huh?” Sakura adjusted the straps of her bag as she quickly scanned the class list. Several names stood out. There was the school’s superstar dancer, Lee Chaeyeon. Sakura remembered how the girl had been one of the few people who tried to befriend her. Of course, Sakura didn’t give her the time of day. Not out of anything the other girl did, but rather Sakura couldn’t focus on anything other than her studies. 

The student council president was always someone that stood out to Sakura. Aside from Nako, Kim Chaewon was the only other person who interacted with Sakura regularly. If only to pester her into joining the debate team. Sakura had always turned her down. She didn’t have the time for such things. But then Nako’s words to her earlier came back. Perhaps she should humor Chaewon. Sakura would have to mull on that later.

Upon seeing the last name on the list Sakura stifled a groan. 

CRASH!

Someone crashed into the gate. At this point in the morning, the gate guards would have begun to close it. Sakura, along with the few stragglers remaining in the lobby looked out at the academy entrance. A girl was on her and groaning. The gate was ajar and the guard beside it shook his head at the girl. She quickly popped up as if nothing had happened and ran past Sakura. For a moment their eyes met. 

“Choi Yena. What will you be doing this year I wonder?” 

Infamous throughout the academy would’ve been an understatement. A student who should’ve been one of the few at the top nationally and yet was consistently at the bottom of the rankings. How such a girl could even make to the third at a prestigious academy like this was a wonder. 

Sakura pondered upon her now classmate as she made her way up the stairs to her class. Her watch glinted in the morning sunlight as she rolled her sleeves up. It was two minutes until the bell rang. Upon entering the room, Sakura noticed that most of the students quieted upon seeing her. At least, for a moment before they resumed chatting amongst each other in what little time they had left. 

Ever a model student, Kim Chaewon sat front and center, notebook open and a pencil in hand. She gave Sakura a passing nod as the school’s top student sat at a chair by the window. As cliche as it was, Sakura liked to sit near the windows. Staring out at the blue skies during moments of boredom gave her a sense of peace, even if the incessant droning of her teachers were enough to put her to sleep.

Students flocked around the social butterfly that was Lee Chaeyeon. Apparently, she posted a short video the night before dancing to a song. It had also gone somewhat viral. Sakura sighed and opened up her backpack. Her eyes then drifted up to the clock just above the doorframe. The bell would surely ring at any moment now. There were two shadows outside the door. Sakura assumed that the larger of the two figures would be their new homeroom instructor for the year.

The door opened and a man with glasses entered the room. His face was scrunched up into a look irritation. He motioned for the other figure to get in as well. Once again the class grew quiet as Choi Yena walked in. A wrinkled bandaid had been hastily applied on her cheeks. Her blazer was wrinkled and covered in dirt from the fall she took and her ribbon simply just wrapped around her neck. Yena shot a glare towards their teacher before sitting behind Sakura.

“Due to some technical issues, there will not be a bell today. And maybe tomorrow as well. Make sure you remember that so that you don't arrive late.” Their teacher stood at the center of the room. He removed his suit jacket and placed on the back of the swivel by the computer in the corner of the room. “Some of you may know me from the Academy’s choir, but I am also a normal teacher here as well. I am Lee Hong-Ki.” 

Whatever words came out of his mouth next, Sakura completely forgot. Not that it mattered. It was the first day of classes after all. Nothing ever happens on introductory days. Especially if you’re a senior. He walked around the class at one point, handing each student a piece of paper. Seconds later, a paper airplane flew through the air and landed on the teacher’s desk. 

Once class was over, Sakura checked what she had next on her schedule. A sigh passed through her lips. More introductory classes. At least until after lunch. Math classes usually get to the point right away. Sakura checked her watch. Her next class would begin in a few minutes. It would be unsightly for the top student to arrive late. 

As Sakura walked through the halls, she spotted something out of the corner of her eye. 

The entrance to the school’s central courtyard was closed for construction. Along with renovations to the walkways, a new garden was being added as well. There was someone at the barred off door. The barricades and pylons pushed aside. Once the door was unlocked, Choi Yena took a quick look around before slipping in and closing the door behind her. 

No one paid her any attention. Well, almost everyone. Sakura could see Kim Chaewon staring at their classmate break the rules. She merely sighed, shook her head and muttered something under her breath. 

Something in Sakura clicked.

 She walked to the windows looking into the central courtyard. Amid the construction, several trees remained untouched. Yena had made her way underneath one of them and had her eyes closed. Her bag laying on the ground next to her. She sat there without a care in the world. Not the construction. Not the school. Just herself. 

For a moment, Sakura felt herself enter that same state. Peaceful. Alone. Tranquil. What once was a grey world had a semblance of color in it once more. 

“Hey, you’re gonna be late to class if you keep staring at her.” 

Sakura turned her head and met Kim Chaewon’s gaze. The student council president looked out at Yena sleeping underneath the tree with disapproval. With a shrug of her shoulders, Sakura began to make her way to the next class. 

“It’s just an introductory class. It isn’t like we’re going to be learning anything just yet.” Chaewon rolled her eyes and bade her come. “Shouldn’t you be heading to your class? The school president should be setting a good example for the student body. Skipping class to make sure that the top-ranked student gets to class is a little suspicious wouldn’t you think?”

“You’re overthinking things. Besides, we’re in the same class. Again. And a couple of minutes to get there. Now let’s go.” 

For a moment, Sakura thought that Chaewon would bring up joining the debate team once more. And when she didn’t, Sakura was suspicious. “You aren’t going to pester into joining your debate club again?” 

“Nope.” Chaewon shook her head as they entered the classroom. Unlike the last class, no one paid them any attention as they entered. Sakura once again took the window seat on the second row while Chaewon sat in the one in front. “Why would I waste my time with a fruitless endeavor? Doesn’t make much sense. I could be doing something more productive.”

“Like continue pestering the other top-ranked students into joining?” Chaewon stiffened and shot Sakura a glare. Her hair shone in the light. Sakura wasn’t sure if her hair was blonde or some other more extravagant color like pink. Regardless, it was different from her midnight black hair the year previous. “Did you dye your hair?”

“Oh so now you want to talk about something other than school,” Chaewon said snidely. “But to answer your question. Yes. I did. Though this shade of pink is rather extra I’d say.”

“So it’s pink.” 

Chaewon gave her the side-eye. “Yeah. It is. What did you think it was?” Before Sakura could respond, their instructor came in and class began. As soon as she entered, Chaewon swiveled on a dime to face the front. In an instant, she had a completely different notebook and pencil out. Sakura didn’t even bother to take her bag off. 

Once class was over, Sakura sighed. She had almost fallen asleep again, but the teacher had made them play an icebreaker. Thankfully some of the people in her class loved to talk about themselves and so Sakura was spared from having to speak in front of the class. Until the next day. 

A look of irritation formed on Sakura’s face as a horde of female students crowded around the door, muttering to themselves about the prince. She gave them a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter