Same and Different

Always Love You

"Here we are," Minho says, as they pull up in front of the Kim household. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah... Thanks for picking me up," he replies, doing a poor job of hiding the uneasiness in his voice.

He couldn't help but stare at his childhood home. Everything was exactly the same as Kibum remembered it--a little worse for wear, but still the same.  

Taemin quickly jumped out to take the older man's luggage inside, while Minho stayed with Kibum as he slowly alighted from the car. He approached the house with caution, almost ashamed that he had gone this long without showing his face. He was excited to see his family but scared to find out how things have really changed.

He and Minho walk up the path and Kibum pushes the low wooden gate open. As expected, it was weakly latched and opened as quickly as it did in his youth. It was surreal being back here, standing in the small garden that he used to tend to with his grandmother. The reason for his return suddenly hits him as he looks around. Weeds had overgrown most of the space and the entire place looked generally unkempt. The most alarming thing was, her prized roses were wilted. His Halmeoni would have never let this happen. She was sick, he remembered. She really was sick.

The door to the home was wide open and he struggles to take his shoes off before going in. But all his nerves melted away when he feels a warm hand caressing his cheek.

"Eomma," Kibum says, looking up, immediately shooting up to wrap her in an embrace. "Eomma..."

He breathes in her scent, filling his senses with her presence. There were so many times through the years that he thought about her, and he could hardly believe that they were finally together. "I'm sorry, Eomma..." he says, trying to keep his tears from falling. "I've missed you so much."

His mother clutches him close, the back of his head as she had always done when she wanted to comfort him. "My Kibum... I've missed you too. I'm so glad you're here..."

Mother and son were wrapped in a long embrace, the two friends looking on with tears in their eyes. "Thank you for bringing him home, boys," she says, smiling at Minho and Taemin through her own tears.

Kibum takes a deep breath as they pull away from each other and he finally is able to enter the home. He looks around to see that everything was the same... Exactly the same. The marks on the doorway chronicling his growth spurts were untouched. The piano on the opposite side of the living room was draped in the same checkered cloth that he remembers from his youth. The only difference was the pictures hanging on the wall. All his achievements through the years were displayed proudly for all the world to see. Although it seemed like they were worlds apart, Kibum was assured that his family was watching over him. It was overwhelming, to say the least. 

"We'll come back later, Kibum," Minho says. "We'll leave you to catch up with your family, and we kind of need to get back to the farm."

"Of course," Kibum replies, snapping out of his emotional haze. "I'll see you guys later, please? I still need to give you your presents. Thank you for taking me home."

"Please tell your Eommas that you're having dinner here, boys," Mrs. Kim says. "I'll have your favorites ready."

"Sure, Mrs. Kim," Taemin says, gleefully. The two proceed to let themselves out, waving goodbye. "See you later, Kibum Hyung."

"Thanks, guys. See you later."

His mother smiles softly as she looks at him with so much love. "Your Appa will be home soon. He just needed to get some things from the farm, but he knows you're here. It won't be long."

Kibum smiles weakly. He really would love to see his Appa again but there was only one thing on his mind. "How is she, Eomma? Tell me the truth," Kibum says, bracing himself for the worst news.

"Her cancer is back," she replies with a heavy heart. "It's been a few months now. We thought she was strong enough to beat it again but the cancer is stronger this time. The treatments didn't work as we had hoped. She just wanted to come home."

For the first time since coming back, Kibum lets the tears fall from his eyes. The young man buries his face in his hands and sobs. "Why didn't you tell me? I should have been here."

"Sweetheart, we know how busy you get... She was the one who wanted to keep it from you. She didn't want to distract you in any way. She's so proud of you, Kibum. We all are." His mother comforts him as he slowly is able to regain his composure. "She knows you're arriving today. Are you ready to see her?" 

"Of course I am..."

*****

"Kibum! Come in before this gets cold!" 

This had been his daily routine. After coming home from school, he would water the plants in the garden while his Halmeoni would cook him an afternoon snack. He had been out there for a few minutes now and as usual, she called him just as he was about to finish his chores.

"Coming, Halmeoni!" he hurries to take his shoes off and runs into the kitchen to give her a kiss on her cheek. He peeks at the dish being served and his eyes widen in excitement. "Mmm, jajjangmyeon! It smells so good," he says, beaming. "I'm famished!"

"Well, you better eat up. I made enough for three people. I'm not about to let this go to waste," the older woman says, hand on her hip. 

"Why did you make so much, anyway? Not that I'm complaining," he says, as both of them take a seat at the table. 

"I thought Jinki would be here."

The mention of Jinki made him tense up. No one in his family knew that they were dating. Kibum was always nervous to bring this up with his family, especially because his Appa had specifically threatened him that he was too young to date, no matter how upstanding or impressive the person was. It was clear, and it was final: Kibum. Could. Not. Date. Anyone. 

"Ah... Well, he had to back to help his Appa at the farm, so..." the young man replies, filling his mouth with noodles and hoping that his grandmother would just drop it. He ate a huge helping of noodles and did his best to change the subject. "This is really good. You've outdone yourself, Halmeoni."

The only thing was, she was the one person who could see right through him. 

"He's been spending a lot of time here, that Jinki. He's a good kid. Helpful, respectful, kind... And he's grown to be so handsome, too. Don't you think so, Kibum? Isn't he handsome nowadays?" she asks, with a smirk on her face. 

Kibum's heart races as he makes the fatal decision to shrug his shoulders. "I don't know. I guess." He regrets it immediately. Shrugging was THE tell-tale sign that he was keeping something--or in this case, trying to. 

"Kim Kibum," she says sternly. "Have you forgotten? You and I, we don't have secrets. We are the ones who keep secrets from other people." 

"I know, Halmeoni," he says, as a bead of sweat slowly drops down the side of his face. 

"So... Since when?"

A wave of despair comes over him. There was no other way around it now. She had caught him. There was absolutely no point in denying it to her. Kibum puts his chopsticks down and heaves a deep breath. "It's just been three weeks, Halmeoni."

His grandmother throws her head back and lets out a hearty laugh--the kind that comes from one's belly and shakes the entire house. 

"Please don't tell Appa... He'll kill Jinki's Appa, and then Jinki, and then me," he says, his eyes pleading. 

"Of course I won't say anything, you silly boy. He would kill me, too. My son thinks I encourage you too much," she says. "I knew it, though. It's in your eyes. The way you and Jinki look at each other has changed."

"Has it, Halmeoni? Oh no... What do I do?" 

"Don't worry, Kibum. I'm the only one that can tell, that I'm sure of," she says, his arm for comfort. She had a smile on her that took away all of Kibum's fears. There really was no one else he could rely on more than his sweet Halmeoni. "Don't be scared. I think this is wonderful. I've always thought you two would make a good match. Now, tell me about him."

*****

"Halmeoni...?" 

Kibum carefully opens the door to the dark bedroom. The blackout curtains were drawn so that she could sleep comfortably at any time of day. He takes light steps into the room, hoping not to disturb her as she slept. It was difficult to make out in the dark, but the figure on the bed was frail and thin--not at all the woman that Kibum had so fondly remembered. He takes a chair and sits beside her bed, not wanting to believe his eyes. 

"Oh, Halmeoni," he says, gently her forehead. She looked so tiny like this. It broke his heart into a million pieces. 

She rouses from her slumber and weakly opens her eyes to see who was beside her. 

"It's me, Halmeoni... I'm home," he says, unable to stop the tears falling from his eyes. 

"Kibum," she slowly clasps his hand in hers and smiles.

The young man instantly recognized that smile. It really was his Halmeoni who was this sickly, small lady laid down on that bed. He throws arms over her and weeps on her shoulder. "Halmeoni," he says in between sobs. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..."

It was all that he could say. The deep shame that came from years of neglect and taking her presence for granted almost drowned him. He would give anything to turn back time.

"No, my darling... There is nothing to apologize for... You're here now... Just seeing your face gives me strength... I'm fine, now that you're here."

*****

It felt like the air had shifted. 

It's foolish to even think that one person's presence was enough to change everything about the town, but it sure felt like it did. Jinki felt a buzz in the air, like everything had suddenly sprung to life again. Or maybe it was all in his head.

"Jinki," his Eomma says, coming into the barn with his morning snack. "I thought you wouldn't be in today."

"I'm right here, Eomma," he says, laying down the last of the wooden crates at the back of the barn. "I'm right here, where I've always been and always will be."

His mother's face crinkles a bit. "Isn't Kibum coming back today? Why didn't you go down to the station to meet him?" 

He takes a seat beside his mother on one of the benches and shakes his head. "Not today."

"Well, are you going to go see him later? His Eomma called to ask if you wanted to join them for dinner. Minho and Taemin will be there," she says, patting her son on the arm. "I think it would be nice for you boys to all be together again, especially now."

Why was everyone on his back about seeing Kibum today? Jinki couldn't really vent his frustrations out on his mother, so he tries to calm himself down before responding. A sip from her original coffee blend always helped. 

"Maybe not right now, Eomma. He might not want to see me... It's not worth putting him under that stress. He's here for his Halmeoni."

The pair sits in silence as Jinki eats his snack. There was tension in the air as both of them were trying to feel the other, wondering about the right thing to say. 

"Are you alright, Son?" his mother asks, a deep concern in her eyes. 

"I don't know, Eomma..." he says, his eyes b with tears. "I thought I would be. But I really don't know."

*****

"Don't tell my Eomma, but your galbichim is the best, Mrs. Kim," Taemin says, as he prepares to take quite a spoonful into his mouth. 

"What high praise," she smiles warmly. "Thank you so much, Taemin. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. We've missed you boys coming over."

"Having a lively house is a breath of fresh air," Mr. Kim says. "That's the magic of having Kibum back. It finally feels like home again." 

Kibum smiles at his Appa. The young man never remembered him being so openly proud of him in this way. It was a new but certainly welcome feeling. 

"Someone's missing though," he continues. "Where's Jinki?"

Everyone at the table hangs their head at the question, allowing Kibum to answer the question as he pleased. But he catches Minho's eye and pleads for help. 

"Ah, he sends his regards," Minho says, flustered. "He really wanted to make it tonight but it's the end of the month, so he's really busy with processing orders and shipment, and all that."

"That's a great problem to have," Mr. Kim replies. "Their farm seems to be doing well. Jinki did a good job pivoting the business. I'm glad."

"Pivoting?" Kibum asks, letting his curiosity get the best of him. 

"Cheese, Kibum Hyung," Taemin says. "They sell cheese now. There was a time when grains didn't do so well, and some of the farmers kept losing crops because of the weather. So Jinki Hyung decided to invest in something different. He makes his own cheese, and they're becoming quite famous, too."

"Famous for cheese?"

Minho enthusiastically nods his head. "Jinki Hyung was so smart in getting ahead of that farm-to-table trend. He's hooked up with a lot of restaurants and artisan shops in the city, not to mention his online business. He's so busy. He employs almost a fourth of the town now."

"I'm surprised you don't know about this, Kibum," his Appa says. "Apart from you, Jinki is the town's biggest success story."

The young man just looks down at his plate and continues eating. His father never caught wind of them being together, not even after all these years. And Kibum wasn't keen on letting him know just yet. 

"That's great," he mutters. "Good for him."

He didn't want to let on that he was relieved to finally hear something about Jinki--anything. He had always felt a sense of responsibility for leaving him behind. But to know that Jinki had done well without him... Somehow it was a huge weight of off Kibum's chest. Maybe there was hope for this visit yet.