Searching

Holding On For 15 Years

Solji felt tears streaming down her face as she read the diary. When the girls had called her in a frenzy and frantically told her that LE had ran away, her phone turned off, she had rushed over instantly. LE running away just reminded her so much of that night, 6 years ago, when LE had ran away too, and she just couldn’t help but fear what would happen to her this time, especially since she was without her memories.

Without her memories, huh? And who’s to blame for that, but me? She thought to herself bitterly as a memory from the past resurfaced in her mind.

FLASHACK

“What did you say?” It was as if the world had stopped for a moment as she took in the news. The 3 girls looked down. They hadn’t intended to drop the news to Solji so soon, but as soon as the older girl had woken up from the surgery, she’d asked for LE, so they had no choice but to tell her why her girlfriend wasn’t around.

“LE unnie was in an accident 2 nights ago, while you were in surgery.” Hani said.

“The paramedics told us that eyewitnesses recounted that she ran out onto the road outside the hospital and a car rammed into her.” Hyelin said.

“She apparently hit her head hard. She woke up earlier today, unnie, but…” Jeonghwa fought back tears as she spoke. “...LE unnie doesn’t remember anything, Solji unnie.” Solji could feel all the gears in her head turning. Hyojin lost her memories... She was in an accident because she ran out onto the road… Was it intentional? But why would she attempt sui- A loud gasp drew the girls’ attention to her.

“Solji unnie?”

“I don’t need you to take care of me! I have Hyperthyroidism, but that doesn’t render me completely helpless! I don’t need you at my every beck and call! I can still take care of myself, even without you!”

“I...It’s…It’s because of me…” Tears welled up in her eyes as she covered with both hands.

“I can still take care of myself, even without you!”

“It’s because...I said that to her…”

“...even without you!”

“She tried to commit suicide because of me!” With that realisation, Solji broke down in tears, deaf to the other girls’ words of comfort and assurance that she wasn’t at fault.

NEXT FLASHBACK

“Do you really have to go, Solji unnie?” Hani asked sadly.

“Don’t you have to stay with LE unnie?” Jeonghwa asked.

“Especially since she doesn’t have her memories now.” Hyelin added.

“No. She doesn’t need me around. She’s only in there because of me. It’s better if I’m not around her.” Solji casted a sad glance to the hospital. “It’s for the best that she doesn’t remember me.” She looked back to the girls. “You’ll keep your promise that you won’t mention me to her, right?”

“Yes, unnie, but-” Solji cut them off with a shake of her head as she loaded her bags into the taxi.

“That’s all I need.” She climbed into the taxi and paused before closing the door. “Thanks, girls, and I’m sorry for doing this to you.” Just before the taxi drove off, she turned to them one more time. “Please...take care of her for me.”

END OF FLASHBACK

“Solji unnie?” The timid voice of Jeonghwa snapped her out of her thoughts as she opened her eyes and turned to the girls.

“We need to find her.” She said firmly. “Any ideas where she could’ve gone?” They shrugged.

“She hopped into a taxi, so she could be anywhere by now.” Hyelin said. Everyone frowned. She was right. LE really could be anywhere.

“Maybe she got into the taxi and recalled something? I mean, she did recall certain things sometimes when we did familiar stuff.” Hani suggested.

“Oh, that’s right! She did call me Maebori once when I !” Jeonghwa lit up, feeling a bit more optimistic about the situation.

“That’s a start.” Solji nodded. “Where did she often go in a taxi before her memory loss? It doesn’t have to be a taxi, a car would do too.”

“We went to a lot of places for concerts and whatnot while we were popular.” Hyelin said with a frown.

“Yes, but similar things might trigger a memory. A taxi meant the driver is not her, so we can cut out places she often drove to herself.” Hani said.

“True.” Solji nodded. “What else?” She frowned, deep in thought. Even though some places were now out of the question, the list of possible places LE could’ve gone to was still long. A small book caught her attention as she looked over to the desk. “Her diary.”

“Solji unnie?” The 3 other girls looked to Solji as she spoke. Solji stared at the book.

“Her diary. The most recent entry she wrote was that she felt suffocated, and she just wanted to get away from it all.”

“She also stated that she wanted to find you, but your house is out of the question. She always drove there herself, or you’d drive her. And then you two started living together in this house, so that’s out too.” Jeonghwa said.

“But we do have a clue now.” Solji said as she turned to them. “Think about it. Where did we all used to go whenever we felt troubled or just wanted to get away from everything? A place where Manager Oppa used to drive us to?” They looked to one another for a while before their eyes widened.

“Our home ground…” Hyelin muttered.

“Hongdae…” Hani added in a murmur as Solji smiled.

Now they’re getting somewhere.

 


"We'll split up from here! Call if you find her!" Solji called out as they hopped out of Solji's car.

"Ok, unnie!" They nodded as they all rushed off in different directions. Solji took off down the bustling streets, through the lively crowd, weaving in and out of every shop. Still no signs of LE. She soon came to a stop at a somewhat isolated place, just a short distance away from the crowd, catching her breath. The sound of running water reached her ears, prompting her to look to the source. Her breath hitched as her eyes fell upon the familiar sight of a fountain, which held a significant memory for her.

For the both of them.