A Leader's Heart (Nam Joon x Ji Hyo)

Shot Thru the Heart

When he opened his phone that morning, he thought it’s going to be a typical, boring day. He checked their schedule, answered a couple of text from their manager, and check their group chat. All is peaceful. He logged on his personal Twitter account, and scrolled on tags on their group, and then on mentions on his name. Nothing sort of the extraordinary, fans were still hyped about their last performance, concert, and their impending rest. Namjoon smiled. He is looking forward in their much deserved break, after touring the world, he had been wanting to have time for himself. He decided to have breakfast while scrolling the internet. Then all of the sudden, Twitter suddenly went a buzzed about a news from Dispatch. Dispatch notification is always bad news. He almost choke on his coffee.

“Hyung, have you seen this?”

“Oh, no. Is this true?”

“Maybe it’s just fake news.”

“Nah, maybe just a cover up or something.”

“I wonder how is she taking it.”

“I wonder how HE is taking it.”

 Namjoon just stared disbelievingly on his cellphone. He had been admiring the girl for years now, as he was also seeing himself with how she handles her own group. He knew how hard she worked in keeping her band together, through all ups and down in the music industry, and when she cried in MAMA, he felt that. It was as if she was saying the things in his heart. And through the years, she had earned his respect over and over again and would silently root for her and her group in award—even if they are up against each other.

He watched as his timeline went on fire in just a matter of minutes and he was suddenly worried on how the girl was taking the news. So he did what his heart had told him to do—he sent her a text.

---

Ji Hyo’s phone was ringing non-stop, as she had expected it to be. She sighed, and tried to filter out the messages that are not from his family or closest friend until she stumbled on a name that she knows would text her ONLY if his band and her band had a problem with each other—the last time was that issue between Jeongyeon and Ji Min. Not that she needed another stress, but she hoped nothing is wrong between their bands’ members. She took a deep breath and opened it.

“Are you ok? Hoping that this will pass quickly and the fans will react to it positively. Congratulations, Ji Hyo-ssi. Fighting!”

 Tears fell from eyes and she smiled. It was a kind gesture, and she was grateful to that person whose work ethics she admires most. She texted him back.

“Thank you Namjoon-ssi for the confidence. I definitely needed it now. I really appreciate your thoughts.”

And for some reason, both of their hearts hurt for the short text that they sent and received, of the unspoken words, missed opportunities and mixed signals that they both didn’t receive.