Chapter 3

A Cover's Only A Cover

Byulyi looked at the girls that surrounded her. After her sob-session, it was as if a little bit of the guilt she felt had been lifted.

 

Irene was kneeling in front of the guilt-stricken girl and softly patting her face with a tissue. She let out a small giggle. “I didn’t know you were such a crybaby.”

 

Byulyi sniffled and let out a pout. “How can I not? You guys are too nice to me!!” Another round of tears started welling up in her eyes again.

 

Yeri hugged the girl. “That’s because you make it easy, unnie.”

 

Byulyi looked at the girl with a small smile. She had her own real sisters, but Yeri had wormed her way into her heart and she came to love her and the other members of Red Velvet like her own sisters. “Thank you.” She said with all the sincerity her voice could carry.

 

“Sorry to change the subject…” Joy said hesitantly.

 

Byulyi nodded and smiled encouragingly, she wanted to be completely honest to these girls.

 

“Why exactly are you pretending to be a guy?” Joy continued.

 

Byulyi they were eventually going to ask, and it was only natural for the mind to immediately wonder that thought.

 

She chuckled. “I was with my two unnies…”

 

“Unnie, why are you taking so long?” Byulyi whined as she flopped on the couch.

 

It was the day after Byulyi’s high school graduation, and she met her unnies at their apartment. Byulyi’s parents had already gone back to her hometown, so she wanted to celebrate with her favorite unnies.

 

Chorong glared at the young Byulyi. “Why are you in such a hurry?”

 

Byulyi pouted. “Because I would like to get to the restaurant before they close.”

 

“Since we made a reservation already, I doubt they’ll close before they see their favorite customer.” Bomi said walking out of the bed room.

 

Byulyi just continued to pout. The restaurant they were heading to was Byulyi’s favorite, Food and A Stage, she came so often the servers knew the girl’s different orders by heart. But Bomi and Chorong knew it wasn’t just Byulyi’s consistent presence that made the servers memorize, the girls knew it was probably due to the fact that their younger friend wormed her way into all of the servers’ hearts. Granted, most servers were women, but that doesn’t change the fact that male or female, no one is a match for Moon Byulyi’s crinkling-nose-smile.

 

And although the food was also very delicious, it wasn’t what made Byulyi want to come often. Every night, a different kind of entertainer would come and perform on the stage while the customers dined. There were comedians, magicians, singers, dancers. Maybe it was Byulyi’s desire to become an idol that made her biased towards the singers who danced, but who could blame the young girl.

 

Once they finally got to the restaurant, any servers that noticed Byulyi’s presence would stop and say hi to the regular customer.

 

They were seated in a table near the center, where they had a perfect view of the stage. Byulyi stood up. “I have to go to the bathroom.”

 

Chorong rolled her eyes. “You had the whole hour to use the bathroom in our apartment, but you only go now?”

 

Byulyi stuck her tongue out. “I can’t control when my bladder tells me to go.”

 

She made her way to the bathroom. Unknown to the older girls, Byulyi had taken a spot in performing that night. Once she saw that the older girls weren’t looking she made her way to the back of the stage. The person in charge of entertainment smiled and waved at the young girl. “You’re here!”

 

Byulyi grinned and bowed. “Yeah, sorry, my unnies don’t know and I wanted to surprise them.”

 

The employee just waved it off, and handed her a bag, gesturing towards one of the dressing rooms. The day before, the young girl had gone to the mall to buy things for her performance, she really wanted to surprise the two girls.

 

After changing, she smiled, satisfied at her own looks in the mirror. Her long light brown hair was hidden in a wig that made her look like a guy. She didn’t have to buy men’s clothes since her clothes were pretty boyish. She had ripped skinny jeans and a baggy shirt, and a snapback on her head. She even binded her chest to complete the look.

 

“Next up, Moon Yul.” The mc announced.

 

Byulyi took a huge breath in and walked out onto the stage. She smiled charmingly as Henry’s ‘1-4-3(I Love You)’ played through the speakers.

 

seoro hamkkeil ttaemyeon

nunbitman bwado ara ara ara (Uh-Uh-)

jibeuro doraomyeon

mworago halji molla molla molla

ajigeun seotulleo naui modeun maldeuri

ajigeun eoryeowo neoui geu munjadeuri

sajeoneul pyeolchigo hanassik Want to know

Want to know I don’t know

 

She glanced at her unnies who were staring at her with mirrored shocked looks. Her smile turned into a grin.

 

I’m sending 1-4-3

geuljaron ajik jeondari an dwae Woah Oh Oh

Sending 1-4-3

dansunhan sutjanoriga anya Woah Oh Oh

I love you 1-4-3 neoneun 4-8-6

Sending 1-4-3 neomu dareuji

Sending 1-4-3 ajik eoryeopji

dansunhan sutjanoriga anya

1-4-3

 

She didn’t notice a man that was intently observing every move and vocal technique that was used. The man was thoroughly impressed. 

 

I’m sending 1-4-3

nae mameul jeondalhal suga eobseo Woah Oh Oh

Sending 1-4-3

dansunhan sutjanoriga anya Woah Oh Oh

I love you 1-4-3 neoneun 4-8-6

Sending 1-4-3 neomu dareuji

Sending 1-4-3 ajik eoryeopji

dansunhan sutjanoriga anya

1-4-3

 

Woah- 1-4-3

Woah- 1-4-3 Yey-Yey-Yeah

dansunhan sutjanoriga anya

1-4-3

 

Byulyi grinned once more as she sang the line to the audience. “Thank you!” She bowed as she left the stage. The employee in charge of entertainment had made conversation and praised her for her performance. Before she could change though, a man slipped backstage and made his presence known to the cross-dressed Byulyi.

 

“Excuse me.” The man said getting her attention.

 

Byulyi confusedly looked at the man, not knowing why he was there.

 

“You were really good out there.” He said.

 

Byulyi smiled and bowed, “Thank you sir. I appreciate that.”

 

“I’m starting my own company, I’d really like for you to be my first idol.” He said.

 

Byulyi’s eyes widened. She pinched her arm, and winced at how much it actually hurt. She wasn’t dreaming. She was getting casted!!

 

“R-Really?! O-Of course I would love that!” Byulyi stuttered out in excitement.

 

The man let out a grateful smile. “Great!” He took out his wallet and took out a business card. “My name is Lim DinDin, meet me at my company next week on Monday at noon.”

 

Byulyi accepted the card and bowed again.

 

The man left Byulyi to change. Byulyi looked at the card in her hands. It said, DD Company, Lim Din Din.

 

.

.

.

.

.

 

Byulyi smiled as she sat at the table where her unnies were smiling amusedly at the younger girl.

 

“Is that why you were in such a hurry earlier?” Chorong asked.

 

Byulyi’s signature grin made an appearance and she nodded. “I wanted to surprise you, but you guys were taking too long!”

 

The two older girls just laughed at the younger girl. “You were amazing!” Bomi said.

 

“When did you buy all that stuff?” Chorong asked.

 

Byulyi scratched the back of her neck. “I actually bought it all yesterday, but I’ve been practicing since two weeks ago.”

 

The older girls smiled proudly at their friend. “You’re so close to becoming an idol!”

 

“Ah! That reminds me, this CEO came by and told me to come by his company.” Byulyi exclaimed excitedly, showing them the business card.

 

Chorong took it first, examining it carefully. “Can we come with you?...I just want you to be safe.”

 

“Well maybe just one of us…we still have our café to take care of.” Bomi said, in which Chorong nodded to.

 

Byulyi smiled at her protective unnies and nodded excitedly. She knew that could be a possibility, because even though there idols that were casted just by walking down the street, but she knew not everyone was lucky like that.

 

A server finally came by and her eyes immediately drifted to the youngest on the table. “Byulyi-ssi! How have you been?”

 

Byulyi grinned cutely. “Unnie! I told you just call me Byulyi, no need to be so formal!”

 

The waitress blushed. “Byulyi.”

 

Byulyi nodded. “I’ve been great! But unnie, it seems that I’ve here more than you have.”

 

“I-I can’t believe you noticed, I went back to my hometown to visit my parents.”

 

Chorong and Bomi were looking at the scene with a very amused smile, but very used to the situation with Byulyi.

 

“Of course I would miss you! You’re one of my favorite servers! You always remember my order!” Byulyi exclaimed with the same charming smile.

 

Chorong pursed her lips from laughing out loud. Bomi just rolled her eyes at that. All of their servers have Byulyi’s order but the younger must not have realized that. “I don’t want to interrupt anything, but can we order now?” Bomi interrupted their conversation.

 

“O-Of course, What can I get you guys?” The waitress blushed turning to the older girls. Byulyi just looked at the older girls with a confused look.

.

.

.

.

.

 

“We’re here to see Lim Din Din.” Byulyi smiled at the receptionist. Chorong stood quietly next to the younger girl with the same polite smile.

 

The receptionist was immediately charmed by the younger girl’s smile, but the CEO was expecting a young man not this charming young girl. “I’m sorry…did you have an appointment?”

 

Byulyi looked confusedly back at Chorong and then back at the receptionist. “Y-Yeah, he told me to come see him today.” She took out the business card that was given to her.

 

The receptionist’s eyes widened. The CEO didn’t give his card unless he really wanted to cast them, so this girl must’ve been telling the truth. “Oh…I guess he must’ve forgotten to tell me, alright, he’s not seeing anyone right now so you may go…it’s the last floor.”

 

“Thank you.” Byulyi smiled politely once more before going into the elevator.

 

.

.

.

.

.

 

Byulyi cautiously knocked on the office door and patiently waited. She glanced at her unnie and received an encouraging smile.

 

The door opened and revealed the same short man that had visited her backstage the week before. He smiled politely. “Hello, you can come in and sit down.” He stepped aside.

 

Byulyi walked in and Chorong followed after her. They sat infront of the CEO’s desk. The CEO closed the door, and sat at his desk.

 

“You look oddly familiar…but I can’t seem to put a name to you…What can I do for you ladies?” Din Din said.

 

Byulyi was surprised at this. “U-Um you came backstage last week and you told me you wanted to cast me.”

 

Din Din’s eyebrows furrowed. “I’m sorry, I don’t remember that.”

 

Byulyi’s eyes met with Chorong, she was confused. It wasn’t that long ago that she saw this man, it’s literally only been two days since she saw him. Maybe he had short-term amnesia. “You were at Food and A Stage…I performed there, a-and you went backstage…”

 

Din Din’s suddenly widened in realization. “You’re Yul?”

 

Byulyi nodded confusedly.

 

Din Din facepalmed and rubbed his face.

 

Byulyi nervously looked at Chorong, more confused at the CEO’s reaction. She had assumed that he knew she was a girl. Chorong shrugged, not knowing how to answer her, but she reached out for her hand for comfort.

 

“S-Sir?”

 

Din Din sighed and looked at Byulyi. “Young lady…I’m sorry, I actually thought you were a guy…”

 

“I-Is me being a girl a problem?” Byulyi asked.

 

Din Din nodded. “I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with being a girl…It’s just all the songs that I’ve composed are all made for male idols.”

 

“Can’t you just modify the songs for a girl?” Chorong piped up.

 

Din Din bit his lip nervously. “I can…but I’ve already announced to the public that I won’t be taking any female trainees for now…only male trainees.”

 

“And taking it back would be bad for your company’s image…” Byulyi finished for him. She wasn’t in the showbiz industry yet, but she had a bit of knowledge of a few things.

 

Din Din nodded and sighed. “I really do want to take you in…but this company just started and I don’t want to make a problem right from the beginning.”

 

Byulyi nodded and stood up, knowing becoming a trainee at this company was not going to be possible. Chorong stood up but kept her hold on her younger friend.

 

They were at the door, but the voice behind them made them stop.

“Unless…you’re willing to pretend to be a male idol.” Din Din was known for being a little crazy, and if his friends found out about the idea they wouldn’t be surprised.

 

Byulyi and Chorong turned back to the CEO. Byulyi exchanged looks with Chorong, and the older girl looked worried. “I don’t know Byulyi…”

 

Byulyi looked back at the CEO. “Are you serious?”

 

Din Din stood up. “I am if you’re serious about being an idol.”

 

Byulyi looked back at the CEO with as much seriousness as she could. “I am.”

 

Din Din walked around his desk and stood in front of Byulyi. He extended his hand to her. “Then welcome to DD Company.”

 

Byulyi took his hand and gave it a firm handshake.

.

.

.

.

.

 

“That’s how it started…” Byulyi smiled as she looked at their reactions.

 

“You know, before I became a trainee, I promised myself that I would do anything and everything to become an idol…so I understand.” Irene said giving Byulyi a small smile.

 

Byulyi gave Irene a thankful smile. She also smiled at the other girls who were giving kind smiles, silently telling her that

 

“Sorry to change the subject…again…but what about Solar-ssi?” Joy asked.

 

Byulyi blushed at the mention of the name. “W-What about her?”

 

It definitely didn’t go unnoticed by the Red Velvet members. They exchanged teasing smiles and looked back at the solo artist. “You’re on We Got Married with her. What if she ends up liking Yul?” Wendy continued Joy’s question.

 

 “I mean…you did mention there were rumors about her.” Byulyi frowned. “If they’re true then she probably won’t fall for Yul.”

 

“But Yul is actually a girl.” Seulgi pointed out the secret.

 

“But she doesn’t know that.” Byulyi said.

 

Yeri let out a small chuckle. “Unnie, what about the chance that the rumors aren’t true.”

 

“Then I guess I’ll just have to ask.” Byulyi said.

 

“What if she lies to you?” Yeri asked curiously.

 

“I guess I’ll find that out when I talk to her…” Byulyi knew she wouldn’t be able to force the truth out of Yul’s TV wife.

 

“Good luck to you then~” Seulgi said with an encouraging smile.

.

.

.

.

.

 

“No it’s definitely not that.” Solar said slowly, trying to keep her annoyance out of her voice. She just finished recording Unexpected Q and Mino was currently hitting on her.

 

“You’re not intimidated by my company?” Mino asked.

 

Solar shook her head. “I’m just not interested in dating right now, especially because I just started We Got Married.”

 

Mino scoffed. “I heard you were partnered with the rookie.”

 

Solar internally winced at a certain word, immediately hating the smirking male idol in front of her. Before she could defend her fake husband, a call pulled her attention away. She smiled stiffly and bowed politely.

 

He just let out a bored sigh and left the pink haired idol on the phone.

 

“Wheein?” Solar asked.

 

Sorry to bother you unnie…” Wheein said through the phone.

 

“No don’t be sorry, you just saved me from making the front page on the news.” Solar said with relief in her voice.

 

Solar heard a giggle through the phone. “I just called to ask if you could bring food home?” Wheein said cutely.

 

Solar rolled her eyes and chuckled. “Yes, Wheein, I’ll make sure to buy food on the way.”

 

Solar heard Hwasa cheer in the background and it made her smile. She said her goodbye and hung up. She looked around, and relief flooded into her as she realized the YG male idol must have gotten bored and left.

 

.

.

.

.

.

After stopping by Hwasa’s recommended restaurant to pick up food, she got into the company van, and sat in the passenger seat next to the driver. Solar never thought We Got Married would benefit her, but the show was giving her a good excuse to reject male idols. She smiled thinking of the show, and her TV husband. She heard rumors about Yul. She heard that the reason why he hasn’t gotten into a scandal was that he was gay. She could see the other reasons why those rumors came to be, Yul was very pretty, but he was also very feminine at times. His movements were mostly manly and very rough, but Solar noticed times where Yul would be very feminine, but Solar assumed that was probably because his household was overtaken by females. But if he really was gay, Solar knew she wasn’t in any place to judge him, especially since she was currently harboring a secret crush on her husband’s twin sister. She would probably tell him about her preferences if the rumors were true.

 

“Solar!” Mamamoo’s manager screamed at the spaced out idol.

 

Solar got startled and turned to her manager who was smirking at her.

 

“We’re at the dorm.” Her manager said with a smile.

 

Solar glared playfully at her manager, but got off.

 

Her manager grinned at the idol. “I’ll pick you up tomorrow for another WGM shooting, but you can tell Hwasa and Wheein they get a free day.”

 

Solar deflated at that.

 

“Come on, Yul isn’t that bad.” Her manager said.

 

Solar instantly felt bad. “No he’s not…but I can still be jealous that the girls get an off day.”

 

The manager just chuckled. “Alright…Go ahead and head inside.”

 

Solar smiled and waved. “Drive safe, unnie.”

 

Mamamoo’s leader got into the dorms and called out for her members. “Wheein, Hwasa!”

 

She saw them grinning at her from the couch. Wheein got up and took the plastic bags from Solar, heading to the kitchen immediately to unload their food.
 

Hwasa was just staring at the oldest member. “Who was the one that almost caused you to make the news?”

 

Solar immediately felt a familiar annoyance seep into her. “Mino from Winner.”

 

Hwasa frowned in disgust. “He tried to ask Wheein out during one of the Music Awards.”

 

Solar rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I’m actually glad I’m in WGM, so I can use it as an excuse.”

 

“Was that all he did?” Hwasa asked confused, she knew their leader wasn’t easily angered by simple things.

 

The older girl shook her head. “He used to word ‘’ to describe Yul.”

 

“Ah~ That explains why.” Wheein said while moving plates in front of the tv. Hwasa nodded, she knew Solar was easily offended when people used degrading words to describe people like theirselves.

 

Hwasa clung onto the oldest member, “Come on unnie~ Let’s eat~”

 

Solar chuckled as Hwasa showed her rare aegyo. She nodded and handed Hwasa the remote. “Yeah yeah, Pick a show.”

 

Wheein took the remote from Hwasa. “Actually I’m picking the show tonight.”

 

Hwasa pouted when the remote was taken from her but immediately smiled when Wheein pecked her cheek. She happily sat on the floor in front of their coffee table to start eating the food.

 

“What are we watching?” Solar asked as she sat next to Wheein.

 

Wheein grinned. “It’s your first WGM episode.”

 

Solar blushed. “Do we really have to watch it?”

 

Wheein nodded. “I want to see what Yul thought of you.”

 

Solar blushed even deeper as she grabbed herself a plate.

 

.

.

.

.

.

 

Mamamoo smiled at Yul’s interaction with the Red Velvet members. The members laughed as a confused look surfaced on the male idol’s face as he read his WGM letter.

 

It also showed a clip of Solar being loud and energetic with Mamamoo.

 

Then it switched to Solar’s cut, the letter given to her calling Yul a hamster. It showed pictures of Yul grinning being compare to pictures of cute little hamsters.

 

Solar smiled at that, but was also reminded of Yul’s sister. She also had the similar grin, and it made her want to see her husband’s twin again.

 

.

.

.

.

.

 

“Is this too formal?” Yul asked as he looked at the camera.

 

Wheein giggled at the nervous idol. “Unnie, he’s adorable.”

 

Solar chuckled as she watched the scene.

 

She blushed at another scene where Yul drove and mentioned he liked Mamamoo. Without him knowing, the caption read ‘You’re going to like your wife.’

 

It cut to the interview part.

 

“What’s your favorite girl group?”

 

“Mamamoo.” Yul said hesitantly.

 

“What if your wife gets jealous?”

 

“Can you cut this part out?” Yul said smiling sheepishly.

Hwasa and Wheein laughed at that.

 

All in all, Yul was very entertaining, and they made him seem so nice. But Solar knew that wasn’t really the producer that made him look like that, it was because Yul was genuinely nice so it would be more hard for the producer to make him look otherwise.

 

Wheein turned the tv off and turned to their pink-haired leader. “Unnie, Yul looked very into you.”

 

“What if he actually falls for you?” Hwasa finished, knowing what her girlfriend was thinking.

 

Solar blushed, and bit her lip. “That’s trouble. He’s nice and all…but I think I’ll probably have to talk to him tomorrow.”