━☆⌒* CT04

Under The Lights 2 [DISCONTINUED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FOUR

Resetting

‘This can’t get any more boring, can it?’ A typical line quietly recited by Shinyoung in the middle of an immensely dull morning class. It is unlike her to daze off into nothing. This class is a special class. The subject is mostly on something she already knows from last semester and it is literally the same thing again. Why the professor bothered repeating? The numbness of her half-fried brain goes on every minute after the class ended.

“You don’t look good. Do you need anything for your research?” A librarian questioned her as soon as she steps into the silent sector in the faculty building. Apparently, Wonwoo conveniently has the morning shift and his hand is busy with the mouse in hold. He looks up to her briefly once he is done with whatever he was doing. “Well, I can use a short nap before this afternoon’s session, for the internship thing.”

“I see.” The male bobs his head understandingly. The library is a common choice to sleep but he does not encourage that as there are students that do come by to do actual studying. “What time will it start? We can have brunch together after I’m done.” He suggested kindly and she shrugs as an answer. Not the kind of response he likes but it is better than nothing.

“Academic Exercise huh? Yeah, that class can be very tiresome for smart people. I can tell that because I am one.” Shinyoung scoffs after telling Wonwoo her morning schedule. In their hands are the cheap coffee he used to drink alone but he is glad for once he is not looking like a complete loner. “Do you really have to brag it?”

“Hey, you’re included in the context so you should be thankful. I don’t do that often.”

“Sure, I can tell that, clearly, Jeon.” She rolls her eyes in a playful manner and catches him chuckling lightly. A smile appears on her face when she witnessed it. She does not recall seeing him genuinely happy for a while. A good character development, she notes.

“Anyway, how’s your internship went so far?” Wonwoo pauses his sip midway before lowering the paper cup to meet her eyes. This is proven to be a bad idea because Shinyoung is literally sitting across her with anticipation and her signature small smile whenever she is interested to listen. Something he learned by observation in high school.

High school. His mind suddenly goes on a trip down the memory lane. This is something he often does yet this time, his psychiatrist is not around. He cannot help himself. He wishes there is an off switch somewhere because he is not showing any sign of stopping. The train is moving fast and as further it goes on, the journey grows darker.

The tiny smile vanishes and she instantly notices the change. Worry washes upon her conscious and she sees his eyes waver once he glances elsewhere. Did she ask something personal? She internally panics. “Jeon? Hey, Wonwoo…” She called whilst tapping on the table with her knuckle, hoping it knocks on his senses.

“Sorry,” Wonwoo whispered after a moment which Shinyoung sighs in relief. “I got carried away. My internship?” The girl shakes his head and closes her distance as she leans forward. He moves back instinctively when she gets too close for comfort. “Was it something I said? That was a very random timing to be in a daze, Jeon.”

“You’ll need to get used to it. It might happen again. I was just thinking.” He admitted frankly as there is no real reason to lie. “Do I have to be worried that this is a common occurrence of yours? We might not be the best of friends but this is worrying to me since we’re actually close friends now. That is unless you still have a crush on me or something.”

Wonwoo almost chokes on his drink at the last line Shinyoung sprouted oh-so-casually. Of course, he might have let that known fact slipped between him and Soonyoung in the past yet the moving on phase is still on nonetheless. The girl keenly shoots one of her brows up and she wonders where this confidence comes from. It is not often that this side of her showing especially around this one particular fellow.

“Don’t tell me you still do. You’ll make it awkward.” She slowly said and throws in a low chuckle to mask the awkwardness that is beginning to creep on her. “I’m not making this awkward. You are.” He accused and a part of her is agreeing.

“Ah, look at the time. The registration is starting. Thanks for the caffeine boost, Jeon. See you later.” Shinyoung shoots up from her seat. Almost instantly, her figure disappears behind the opened cafeteria entrance. Shaking his head, Wonwoo immediately plops his head on the table as his body gradually feel drained and it is not even two yet.

It must have been that awkward for her.

 

 

The day she sees Jungkook roaming within the Performing Arts section of SIA is a couple of days after her slightly strange encounter with Wonwoo. The fact that there is a low chance for him to catch his feelings back, Shinyoung concludes it will be the best not to meet up often. Besides, he worked mostly at night in the faculty’s library and spent his day at his workplace which is his default location nowadays anyway.

“Good day to you, Shinyoung.” Jungkook greeted brightly with a wave tossed in as well to break the ice. Warmth seeps in their conversation seamlessly as she continues to do her assignment on the campus’ outdoor study. “Old habits die hard?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter