1. Meeting your - not yet - heroes

Crystal Chrysalis

VIOLET 

 

Yeri jumped out of her bed, her heart was at a thousand, it was the same nightmare, always. The cold sweat was descending from her forehead, she put her hand on the scar of her throbbing neck. She looked at the alarm clock that rested on her bedside table - 6:30 - how good, the nightmare helped her not to be late. 

The same nightmare always, Yeri wondered how her mind possessed so much creativity in having such well elaborated nightmares, with the same script, and always with her schoolmates who didn't even talked to her. That is to say, she would run into Wendy from time to time, who smiled sweetly at her, but ran from Seulgi and Joy. And Irene, well, Irene didn't even look at her, it was like she was invisible. 

 

 

- How was the evening, dear? Did you sleep well? - Yeri's mother asked her daughter who was facing the pancakes on her plate. She remained silent for a thoughtful time, never telling anyone about the same nightmares, or the bad sensations that she always felt. Her mother was not the most renowned person to listen. 
-

Answer your mother, dear - Her father spoke without taking his eyes off the newspaper, yeah, even Yeri's father was not plausible to hear yer. She went with the lie

- Yeah, I slept like a baby - Yeri smiled falsely - Yeah, Mom, about school. A painting club is opening, I thought I'd sign up... 

- Honey - Your father intruded before her mother could answer - It's your first year in high school, and you have to focus on your studies, you know this art business is not for you, your father here already has great plans for you. - Her father gave Yeri a crooked smile that made his mustache move, Yeri hated that mustache. 

- But I don't know if...yeah, it's not...what I want, I- Before Yeri could finish her father looked at her with dark eyes. 

- You know that's what you want, yes, now finish your food. - And he got back to his newspaper again, Yeri sighed heavily, asking permission to leave the table, she had really lost her hunger. 


 

ROSE 


The smile never left her face, she was where she wanted to be, at the top. Irene had woken up at 5 a.m. that fateful Monday morning for cheerleading practice. She was right in the middle of the huge field, where she was loved, everything she wanted most. Everything was so shallow, it didn't even seem like she had cried until she fell asleep last night, for what reason? Even she couldn't explain it. 

Everything was so empty, everything so liquid, artificial... 

- All right, girls - The coach blew her whistle indicating that the training was over, the pyramid was safely falling apart and Irene could touch her feet again on the ground, in reality. 

- How is Bogum? - Sana asked. Irene felt a small pain in her chest from the mention of his name, they had been finished for weeks, the little fling only lasted 1 month, and it was even long. Like many of her affairs, everything was always like this, nothing lasted. 

- Ah, Bogum? - Irene tried to break up - I broke up with him yesterday - she lied - I was feeling suffocated - she lied again. 

Actually, he didn't want it anymore, she "suffocated" him and also he couldn't share her attention with so many people, that she insisted on being friends. It was always like this, always someone would end up leaving her. 

 

- It's okay, - Sana smiled - There's a line of boys wanting for you, Rene. 
 

- I know - Irene smiled, deep down, she wanted it to be a sincere smile. 

 

 

BLEU 

 


Quiet. It was all that Wendy longed for, and she found at the bottom of the pool, safe and sound from the noisy outside world that haunted her so much. "Son Wendy, this world doesn't deserve you" That's what she always heard from her parents, maybe the world didn't really deserve her, but Wendy didn't think so. She always felt that she shouldn't be a part of this world, a world she didn't fit into and wasn't welcome in. The lack of breath was present, and she swam to the surface wishing she didn't have to breathe. 
 

- A minute and ten seconds - The coach shouted from the edge of the pool, he gave a towel to Wendy, who smiled - It's a new record, Wendy, I think we can say that you're almost a fish. 
 

- T-Thank you, coach - Wendy sat on the edge of the pool and dried her neck. 


 

- The swimming tests start next week, you should try. - The teacher smiled. 
 

- I didn't k-know - Wendy said putting on her glasses. 
 

- Come on, Wendy, get out of the comfort zone and explore your horizons. 
 

Leave the comfort zone? Wendy faced leaving her comfort zone every day when she set her foot in that corridor. She tried her best not to be noticed, but always... 
 

- Get out of the way, nerd. - Her back ran into the locker, a loud noise echoed through the corridor full of students, but no one stopped. 
 

The pain she felt in her muscles couldn't even compare to the pain in her heart. 

 

JAUNE

 

 
She looked at the man, who carefully read a piece of paper, he had features similar to hers. and eyes were what she inherited from his characteristics, but the rest of her mother reigned, maybe if her mother was here everything would be easier. 

 

- Seul - That nickname was always present when he wanted to affectionately offend her - These grades are not admissible, even for an athlete, you know that your future in basketball is non-existent. This only lasts in high school, dear. 


- But Dad...- Seulgi intervened with a soft voice, she didn't sound like the great Kang Seulgi who would beat the out of anyone who got in the middle of her in the hallway. 


- Principal - Mr. Kang cursed - on the school grounds I am the principal and not your father. 
- Principal - Seulgi said with a certain irony - The coach said that I have potential, and I can get an athlete's scholarship. 

 

- You're not going to mess with this sports - the director raised his voice and Seulgi shrunk in her seat - Now get out of here, go to your class, and Kang Seulgi if you get into a fight again I'm not going to measure the limits of your punishment. 


Seulgi swallowed the lump that stubbornly formed in , and felt the anger rise all over her body, she closed the zipper on her jacket, and stood up, with heavy steps to the door. She walked down the hallway, when she reached a safe distance, she dropped a painful scream from the bottom of her throat, and punched a locker, which sank a little with the strength of her fist. 
 

- I hate you, - she said to no one, Seulgi felt the warm tears finally come out, but she recovered fast, crying is for the weak. Kang Seulgi is not weak. 
 

She went down the hallway that was full of students 
 

- Get out of the way, you nerd - she pushed someone who didn't even bother to check who it was. 

 

VERT 
 

 

Joy came out of the bathroom wearing her uniform - the flanel white shirt was a little crumpled, but it didn't matter - with a white towel she dried her hair, and walked to her room that wasn't so far away, the house was a little small. Considering that, only she and her mother lived there, it wasn't so small. The living room and the kitchen were practically a single room, a hallway gave way to two bedrooms and the bathroom, that's what they had left after their father has left.


Joy has no memories of her other house, where everything was bigger, perfect, and she had everything she wanted. She doesn't have memories, not for a long time, but because she chose to erase those memories from her head, erase everything related to him, so her anger could be diminished. Some nights the memories came back with everything, she lied in her bed remembering how he put her on his shoulders and ran around the house, how he took her to eat ice cream sticks, remembering how much easier laughter was at that time. 
 

"Dad, when I grow up, I want to marry you." 
 

"But, honey, you can't marry Dad" 
 

"But you're the love of my life, Dad" 
 

Innocence is a pathetic thing, Joy thought. 
 

- I made your coffee, honey - Joy's mother announced, Joy put the towel on her shoulders and walked to the kitchen. A bowl of rice and kimchi rested on the table, Joy smiled and ate slowly, in silence.

 
- Honey, I'm sorry, but you know things are a little rough - Joy's mother wiped her hands on her apron, she wore a waitress' blue uniform, and sat down in front of her
daughter - When I get my paycheck, I'm going to buy your favorite food. 
 

- Mom, it's okay - Joy smiled - this is the best kimchi I've ever had, did you cook Grandma's recipe? 
 

- Yes - Joy's mother smiled, but in a few seconds her smile fell apart - Joy, your school called again. - Joy sighed heavily and continued to eat with her head down. - Joy, are you fighting again? Honey, you know I don't approve violence. 


- I know, Mom - Joy seemed so sensitive in front of her mom - I'm sorry. 
 

- I'm going to work late today- Her mother got up and took off her apron. 
 

- Mom, you don't have to work overtime - Joy grumbled - I took the night shift at convenience, you can come home and rest, I don't want your pain to get worse. 
- I don't want you working alone at night - Joy's mother turned with a hard expression - you shouldn't even work. 

 

- Mom, I can help you, I'm no longer a child- Joy got up, putting the towel on the dryer, she took her uniform jacket
 

- You will always be my child - her mother squeezed her cheek and Joy smiled sincerely - you can work tonight, but only this once will you escape. Here's your lunch, and please don't fight anymore. - Joy's mother gave her a little lunch box, and on her toes she kissed her daughter's forehead. 
 

Always, she couldn't leave the house without receiving her mother's kiss. In a world of pain and sadness, her mother was the only thing that made her feel better. 


⸙