Flowers Don’t Last Forever

Hospital's Delight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2: Flowers Don't Last Forever

“Flowers for Ms. Minatozaki!”

A bouquet of a dozen red roses landed on the smooth white surface of the Nurses’ Counter at JYP Hospital.

“Again?” Wendy asked incredulously.

“That’s the fourth one today,” remarked Joy who was tidying up some files.

“Let’s guess who it’s from this time!” Eunha suggested.

“Something as romantic as a dozen red roses must be from Dr. Tuan!” Wendy said excitedly.

“Oh, you may be right! Just compare it to the other bouquets,” Joy pointed to the neglected flowers sitting forlornly at a corner. “This one clearly stands out.”

“Those are from Sattang’s former patients, right?” A smooth voice cut in. The trio instantly looked up and gasped when they saw a tall and lean man in a navy blue suit leaning against the counter.

“Dr. Yoo!”

“Hi, ladies,” Yoo Jeongyeon flashed a charming smile that sent the three nurses’ knees into a wobbly state. Wendy who was the first to recover, replied, “Yes, those flowers are from Sana’s ex-patients. That one is from Mr. Kim.”

“That balding old man who suffered a heart attack while watching AV?” Jeongyeon wrinkled his nose in disgust at the poorly arranged bunch of pink orchids and lavender lilacs. “No wonder those flowers look cheap.”

 

Jeongyeon grabbed the latest bouquet of roses and checked the card which came with it. With a knowing smile, he muttered, “I see Mark had made his move.”

“So it’s really from Dr. Tuan!” Joy exclaimed, jumping up from her seat. “Sana’s so lucky!

“Oh, she’s back!” Eunha spotted their colleague turning round the corner and walking towards them. Jeongyeon swiftly put down the bouquet and bade the nurses farewell, disappearing into his office down the corridor.

Minatozaki Sana plopped herself on her seat at the workstation and let out a weary sigh. She had just escaped from a male patient in his twenties who loudly proclaimed his undying love for her in his ward. The worse thing was that the other patients in the ward supported him by throwing toilet paper confetti all over the place and goaded her to accept his love. In the end, both she and the patients were chided by the head nurse for creating a ruckus.

“Hey Sana, cheer up. Look at this!” Wendy shoved Dr. Tuan’s flowers in Sana’s face.

“It’s from the tall, dark, handsome and suave Dr. Tuan!” Eunha added, her head popping up next to Wendy’s.

“You sure are popular around here. I wish I could get flowers from the doctors too,” Joy appeared on the other side of Wendy, wearing a dreamy look on her face.

Sana shot the roses an uninterested glance and went back to filling out a form for a patient. “If you like it so much, you can have it,” she offered in a bored tone.

“Really?” Joy’s eyes widened at the idea. Just then, Dr. Mark Tuan appeared before them.

“Hey, ladies!” he greeted cheerily with a wink. The gossiping trio found their legs turning into jelly the second time in less than fifteen minutes.

“Hi, Dr. Tuan!” they chorused with bright smiles. Mark craned his neck a little to peek at Sana who seemed busy at the back.

“Erm… Sana-ssi.”

Sana closed her eyes and gave an inward sigh before forcing a smile on her face and standing up. “Yes, Dr. Tuan? How can I help you?”

Mark winced a little at the formal tone but kept up his confident smile. “Just want to wish you happy birthday in person”

“Why, thank you.”

The gossiping trio traded looks and decided to make themselves scarce as the atmosphere was starting to turn awkward.

“Have you received my flowers?” Mark asked.

“Yes, they are very lovely. Thank you,” answered Sana. She was not lying. They did look gorgeous but she just could not be bothered with them. They were just flowers which would later wither in a matter of days. Mark mistakenly took that as a positive sign and leant forward, posing the next question.

“Your welcome. Would you like to have dinner with me after work tonight? My treat, of course.”

At that moment, Sana’s face lit up as she noticed a short, bespectacled young man walking past behind Mark. The man was wearing a blue surgeon’s outfit and had black hair that went a little past his ears. He seemed to be in a hurry as he quickly disappeared in the direction of the Operating Theater.

Mark waved his hand before Sana’s face. “Hey, you there?”

Snapping out of her daze, Sana bowed slightly, “I’m sorry but I have to work overtime today.”

“It’s okay. I can wait.”

“No, no. It’ll be very late.”

“We can do supper.”

“Ms. Minatozaki, I need you in the OT now,” a gentle voice called out, startling both Mark and Sana. Sana gasped when she noticed the same young man from before standing a distance away, beside the drinks vending machine.

“Yes, Dr. Myoui!” Sana hastily tidied up the documents on her desk. Before she left, she turned to Mark and said, “I’m sorry I’ve got work to do. Thanks for your invitation anyway.”

Without waiting for Mark’s reply, she half-ran after Dr. Myoui who was already walking away. Mark dropped his head on the counter after the straight rejection while the gossiping trio looked at him in pity.

“That stupid Sana! Why did she reject his offer?” Joy whispered in exasperation. “I would so die to go on a romantic dinner date with Dr. Tuan.”

“Actually girls, have you noticed? Sana only seems to respond to Dr. Myoui,” Eunha commented.

“Isn’t it only because he saved her life a few years back?” Joy asked.

“But he’s the only one who doesn’t give her special treatment. Most of the doctors here seems to be trying to score a date with her,” with a finger on her chin, Wendy noted thoughtfully.

“Maybe she likes younger men. They ignite her motherly instincts!”

Nodding in agreement, Joy remarked, “Dr. Myoui does have a very cute face. If only he was taller, I’d totally go after him!”

The other two poked her forehead simultaneously, “Stop being so man-crazy!”

--------------

Sana caught up with Dr. Myoui and was now walking slightly behind him.

“Kwon Sooyeon, nine years old. She was knocked down by a motorcycle while crossing the road and sustained multiple fractures t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter