Chapter 1

Impending Bloom

    Augh, where’s my next class?! I’m so late already! Sojin thought frantically as he pulled up a map of the college campus on his phone. A week had already flown by since he started as a freshman at the prestigious Yonsei University, but his complete hopelessness with directions meant he still had to check his map after every class. His honey-brown eyes lit up as they finally caught sight of the historical studies building, where he was supposed to have been five minutes earlier, on the map.

    Please let me get there without walking in circles for another ten minutes, he thought, sending a silent prayer to the directional gods as he broke into a jog. As he ran past the fancy buildings that graced Yonsei’s campus, he checked his appearance in the reflection of the windows. He had a strong belief that first impressions are everything, so he strived to make sure he looked his best at all times. Scanning his appearance now, he could see that his dyed, light brown hair--normally in bangs on his forehead--was flying wildly in the wind, but that couldn’t be helped. His clothes, the black sweater vest with the golden Yonsei logo that he had proudly purchased, and his white dress shirt beneath it, fortunately looked fine. As he continued jogging and attempted to brush his bangs back into place with his fingers, he collided with something, or someone, hard. 

    “Wah!” was all Sojin could get out before toppling over. Rather than landing on the pavement, though, he felt something soft cushion his fall. Groaning he lifted his head to find himself sprawled out over another boy, who seemingly took the brunt of the fall. Sojin let out a gasp, pulling himself off of the other student as if he had touched a hot oven, then pushing himself back to his feet. Getting a better look at the other boy, he could see that he had short black hair with huge eyes and a kind-looking face--although it now had a grimace upon it. 

    “Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry!” Sojin exclaimed, extending his hand towards the downed boy. The other student grabbed it and Sojin helped pull him back to his feet, before bowing multiple times in apology. After the third bow, he looked the other student all over with concern, checking for any injuries. The other boy stood about the same height as him, but was a bit more brawny, which must have helped cushion the fall for Sojin.

    “Er, it’s okay, I’m fine,” the other boy finally stated, waving his hand in front of him to assure Sojin that it was okay, a slight smile on his face. “Thanks for all the concern, though. Are you okay?”

    Sojin let out a nervous chuckle of embarrassment, relieved that the stranger seemed to be rather kind. “I’m fine! I’m sorry! I’m so late for class--I was trying to get to the history building, but I’m a first year. And really directionally challenged! But that’s no reason for not looking where I was going!”

    This time the other boy let out a laugh, seemingly amused by Sojin’s frantic energy level. He glanced in the direction behind him, then pointed a finger towards a small building across the street.

    “Aww, you’re a first year? Well, that’s the building you’re looking for. You should just ask someone if you’re lost! Most people here are pretty nice.”

    “Ah, thank you so much! And next time I’ll be sure to ask!” Sojin replied, nodding his understanding. He glanced at his phone to check the time and his eyes widened in horror as he realized he was now ten minutes late. Not a good first impression! He bowed one more time to the other boy and began to head towards the building, but before he could get more than a few steps away, the black-haired boy called after him.

    “What’s your name?! I should at least know that after this whole drama, right?” 

    Sojin wheeled around, his honey eyes gleaming with excitement at the chance to make a new friend. “I’m Chae Sojin! And you are?”

    “Park Sungjin. I’m a third year, so if you’re ever confused about anything, just ask me! My Kakaotalk ID is just Sungjin333.”

    Sojin felt another wave of embarrassment rush over him for having bulldozed over a third year, but he was relieved the boy was so nice. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and pointed to it. “I’ll add you right now! But I’m super late for this class so I have to go! Let’s talk later!”

    Sungjin nodded his understanding, the same friendly smile from earlier gracing his face as he waved goodbye to the first year. Sojin made a mad dash for the building, typing Sungjin’s ID into Kakaotalk and adding him as a friend while running forwards, seemingly having learned nothing about looking where he was going. Fortunately, this time he made it to the door of the classroom without injury. Pausing outside of the door, he tapped Sungjin’s name on his phone, opening a chat with the other boy.

    “Hi! It’s Sojin! Sorry about earlier and thanks for helping me find my class! I made it thanks to you ^^,” he typed out, reading it over once before pushing send. He placed the phone back in his pocket and brushed his bangs back into place, steadying his breathing and putting on his best apologetic look. Taking a deep breathe he quietly opened the door and attempted to sneak into the room unnoticed. Unfortunately, it seemed like the lecture had already started, and the professor pulled his marker from the board to look at the late newcomer.

    “Ah, Chae Sojin, right? So nice of you to join us. I’ll let it slide since it’s only the second week--just don’t make it a habit,” the man stated, signaling to an empty desk next to the window in the third row. Sojin bowed apologetically. The class was made up of first and second years and he could feel all of their eyes on him as he walked across the room, his face flushing. As he finally reached the empty desk, he let out a quiet sigh of relief as he dropped his backpack to the floor and plopped down in the seat. He glanced to his right to see who was sitting at the desk next to him and he felt his heart skip a beat.

    Sojin had to admit he tended to fall in love quite easily, but the boy that sat before him now was truly his type. A sharp jawline, perfect nose, puppy dog eyes, and dark brown bangs falling just to his eyebrows...he was perfect. The boy seemed to notice he was being stared at and glanced over at Sojin, who immediately averted his eyes, looking back at the professor in front of the class. Fortunately, his face was already red from his earlier embarrassment, so the handsome boy wouldn’t see it flush yet again. 

    Who is that?! Sojin thought to himself, fidgeting with the pen in his hands. It’s only the second week of school. I shouldn’t have any crushes yet, but…

    The freshman was pulled from his thoughts as his professor asked the class a question about the reading they were supposed to have done for this class. Sojin was by no means dumb, but he lacked the confidence to try to answer the question in front of so many new people. He glanced around at the brave students who had raised their hands and was surprised to find that one of them was the handsome boy sitting next to him. The teacher pointed at the boy, nodding.

    “Yes, Wonpil, go ahead.”

    Sojin flicked the cap off of his pen and instantly scribbled the name into his notebook. Wonpil. What a of luck that the professor had identified his crush for him! He had made a rule with himself that he wouldn’t even think about dating until the second semester, but rules were meant to be broken, right? It had been a long while since he’d felt his heart beat with excitement like this and he wasn’t about to let this beautiful opportunity pass him by.