A Beautiful Heartbreak

A Beautiful Heartbreak

Mami stayed silent. She stood facing the wall as the words Tomomi had spoken were sinking in. Tomomi had finally said it and Mami knew exactly what she meant when Tomomi said those three words. 

 

I love you.

 

Slowly, Mami turned to face her while giving her a small smile. "I love you too Tomo....you know you're my sister..."

 

As soon as Mami said that, she looked away. She knew she had just broken her best friend's heart by saying that. She loves Tomomi as a sister and that's all. Nothing more. That's how Mami views her.

 

Tomomi gave Mami a big bright smile after hearing that. "Right. My silly baka sister that I love so much," she said. 

 

Tomomi's heart was aching so much. She knew that this would happen yet she took the risk of allowing herself to fall more for Mami. She knew deep down that her love was one sided but she always wanted to believe that there was hope for Mami feeling the same way for her. However, she felt like an idiot as she just got slapped in the face with the words she already knew would be told to her. That's the risk she took for listening to her foolish heart instead of her reasonable and logical mind. 

 

"Sooo....it's late isn't it? You must be tired so I'll let you sleep now." Tomomi got up from sitting on Mami's bed and walked out to "watch tv on the sofa", but really, she just wanted to sleep there. "Good night Mami," and with that, she quietly shut the door of Mami's room.

 

Both girls sighed while frowning as the door shut. Tomomi went to lay on the sofa while Mami went to lay on her bed. Mami turned to face the side of the bed that her best friend usually slept on for sleepovers and touched that side of the bed.

 

"Gomen Tomo...Gomen..." 

 

The younger girl looked up at the ceiling as she laid still. Tears were finally swelling up and out of her eyes. She cried silently feeling she was never going to stop crying from her heartaching so much, yet she smiled as she thought of memories with Mami. Mami, her beautiful and kindhearted friend. The one who was always willing to understand Tomomi with any issue she had and help pick her up on her down days. As she closed her eyes, she imagined Mami. Mami's eyes. Mami's smile. Mami's adorable and dorky laughs and giggles. Mami. Her tears were slowly coming to a halt as sleep took over.

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning Mami woken up worried. She didn't see her younger friend on her bed. She thought Tomomi would come back as soon as she slept. That's usually what would happen whenever they got into an argument when Tomomi was over. They would sleep on it and fix their problem or misunderstanding the next morning.

 

Mami got out of bed to search for Tomomi. There was no sign of her little friend in the living room so she decided to check her kitchen in case Tomomi was cooking, but there was also no sign of her there.

 

"Did she really leave without saying goodbye?" Mami thought.

 

The older girl hurried looking around the house for her best friend. She ran from room to room until she passed a window with a view of her balcony. There, sitting on a bench, she found her younger friend drinking tea. Tomomi had awoken earlier than usual and had decided to hear the birds chirping in the morning while looking at the sunrise. Nature always was a great therapy for her, and although this was Tokyo, doing that was one of the closest things Tomomi could listen to and watch to remind herself of nature and relax in a busy noisy city.

 

Mami slid the door open catching Tomomi's attention to Mami's face instead of the morning scenery.

 

"Good morning Mamitasu." Tomomi said happily.

 

Mami was surprised to see her friend behaving her usual and casual ways. As if Tomomi had never confessed how she felt about Mami last night.

 

"There's more tea in the kettle if you want some. I made a lot to drink a lot." Tomomi said and giggled.

 

Mami smiled and nodded her head. She went to pour herself some tea and came back out to sit next to Tomomi. They both stayed silent as they enjoyed the warmth of the morning sun rising. Slowly, they could hear the city getting busier and nosier as time passed by. 

 

"Mami." Tomomi said looking at her friend.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Let's go to the arcade again! I looked up videos of that one game you like! I think I understand it better now and want to play it! Maybe I can catch up to your score..." Tomomi said looking at Mami with wide sparkling eyes.

 

Mami stared for awhile at her friend's hopeful expression before giving Tomomi a playful shove. "Yeah right, in your dreams." Mami chuckled. "You have a long way to go if you want to catch up to me."

 

"Well then, let's go so I can practice and catch up!"

 

Mami smiled as she got up to stretched her arms. "Sure, why not? Let's go get ready then."