Chapter 4

Let Them Know

A couple of weeks later, Lucas stands in front of a crowd of blinding lights. Flashes fill his view as he sits down behind a clothed table that is set up in a stage.

 

As promised, Lucas appears to the public in the soonest possible time to mainly tell them the story behind the accident and assure the public that he is okay. Although he knows that these companies want more than just what happened. Heartless as it may sound, but some truths are cruel. His company had told him over and over again to think about his answers - to be careful with how he will use his words.

 

A lot of people told him to just write a letter and post it on his fan cafe instead, but he stands by his decision to answer with what he knows and what he feels. Yes, he was scolded and was almost refrained from attending the conference. Luckily, they let him but not without telling him how each of his words will affect him. No, the press wants his answer so he will give him his answer.

 

And so it starts.

 

The first questions are fairly easy, some are just checking up on him and are almost genuinely concerned. He returns the gesture with his usual charming smile but the tension in his bones, the loud beats of his heart, and the creeping anxiety under his skin can be felt inside the whole room. It feels like they’re delaying the inevitable.

 

Then, as if the press took pity on him, the question he was restless about was finally asked. Here it comes. Days of rehearsing his lines and answers all come to this anyway. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.

 

“To be honest, I have no answer on that question. Why did I help? All I could think of was because someone needed help. Why go as far as to risk my life? I seriously don’t know no matter how hard I think.” He takes another deep breath heard by everyone through the speakers. “I know you want to know if I feel anything for her and honestly, before the comeback and the awards show I know I didn’t have it. The times during Keep Running, I know I didn’t have it. But, lately, as I visit her at her room every after visiting hours up until I saw her all woken up, I knew there was a difference.”

 

Lucas pauses for a while, biting his lips to control his smile.

 

“Before I got discharged, I got the chance to talk to her and that’s when I knew that I am in love with Song Yuqi.”

 

The room falls silent, waiting for Lucas to continue.

 

“Why am I telling you this? Because, from now on, I want to be able to be with her without the worry of what image will it bring to us or speculation, theories and doubts following us. I want to protect her in all situations, even in front of the public eye. I love her. I love Yuqi. That’s all. I won’t be taking anymore questions. Thank you.”

 

Lucas stands up and heads backstage and into the car to wait for his manager, leaving with more questions from the press. He recklessly rests his head back staring at the car ceiling. There it was. He said it. None of what he practiced was said either. He also had a hard time forming his words but he can’t deny his relief now that he had said it - now that he had let them know.


 

“What a twist of faith.” Minnie said, breaking the silence that fell upon the girls during the live press conference of a certain WayV member. “And we were just talking about your feelings towards him last night.”

 

The mention of the group’s previous conversation makes Yuqi blush. She blows the tension that built up during the time of Lucas’ declaration as she lays her back on her inclined hospital bed. For now, she just wants to be alone with her own thoughts but her members can’t get over the fact that Lucas just confessed on a live conference watched by almost all the people of Korea and probably of China as well.

 

They spend the next minute teasing Yuqi, coming up with unique names and ways to get her to redden her ears. A few moments later, visiting hours are over so her members had to go home. She is finally alone in her own thoughts. She recalls what had happened - Lucas’ confession, her conversation with her members, and the time when they were first able to converse before he got discharged.

 

That was a great night even if his broken shoulder took her by surprise. It was after that she realized how he feels about him. She didn’t know why but she feels it in her heart. With the thought bugging her, Yuqi lies down knowing that it will be another sleepless night.

 

I love Wong Yukhei.