Chapter 1

Let Them Know

It is already past midnight but it's hard to comprehend with the forming crowd in the arrival area of the airport. Tonight, NCT's Chinese subgroup is scheduled to attend an awards show. All groups are invited to attend it and WayV is no exception for they are under SM Entertainment.

 

To say that Lucas is excited is far from the truth. Yes, he is excited but he was more nervous than anything. As they get to one of the vans that's headed to their hotel, he can't think of anything else but the fact that he would see his friends - from SM, and some international friends. 

 

Rehearsals came and Lucas is reunited with some of his friends. He met Bambam by the cafeteria, Jackson by the dressing rooms but he hadn't seen that one person he spent more time with than anyone.

 

The awarding night began. He looks around and can't help but be excited, his past nervousness gone. 

 

It's time. He did audition for fun but it's finally happening. Happiness creeps in his skin as he indulge himself in the shouts of the people, as he indulge himself with the adrenaline.

 

That was their cue, all artists ascended on the stage for one special performance. Everyone is singing. Everyone is greeting and congratulating whoever they can. It is a great moment. 

 

Suddenly, a high-pitched scream breaks through the crowd. Everyone heard it against the music and the singing. Lucas looks back. It was hard to spot against the heads of people but he was lucky enough to be a little taller than them. His eyes scan the sorrounding. He found five girls all crouched down against the floor. One girl has tears in her eyes.

 

"Help us please." The short one said as she stood up.

 

Lucas knows her. His friend introduced him to her members during a TV show they did together. Sure enough, Lucas remembers her as Soyeon, the leader of (G)-Idle.

 

His body moves and he found himself kneeling with the other girls. His heart beats fast as he looked at the girls one by one. No cute face, no curly hair. No. That means. Realization hit him like being drenched by cold water. 

 

Slowly, he looked at the broken floor. He lowers himself down and whispered. "Yuqi?"

 

It took a moment before her arms came from below the platform. "Lucas."

 

His heart hammered against his chest and he didn't care whether his palm is sweating as he held her hand. 

 

By this time everyone has been barking orders to and fro. It infuriated him. Did they not know that it wasn't helping? None of what they're doing mattered. He can hear her other members talking to her but Yuqi-

 

Yuqi. He can hear the pain in her voice. Her usual low voice, now painted with gruffness. Her hands. When they were filming together, it was always firm and confident but now it limps against his hands. He looks at the arm sitcking out. There are bruises and cuts. Where did the blood came from?

 

Swallowing the lump on his throat, he try finding his voice. "Yuqi?"

 

"Lucas." Her voice came a little clearer this time.

 

"Are you alright?"

 

"I guess."

 

Good. That's good. From behind him, he heard someone yell along the lines of help coming.

 

"Yuqi, listen to me. Help is coming. Someone's going to get you out of there. You feel my hand? Don't let go, okay?"

 

Although he cannot see her, he knows she's listening to him and only his voice. Not a moment too soon, her grip at his hand tightened almost dragging his body inside the open space of the broken platform as a scream from her filled the air.

 

"The floor... The floor... It's... It's breaking."

 

Panic wash Lucas's soul but he dares not to show it. Not when Yuqi is down there. Not when she is in a difficult situation.

 

"It's alright. It's okay. I got you, okay. Yuqi, you're strong. Remember that time on Keep Running. Remember how you won those challenges? Yeah? Think of it as-" when he thought he couldn't hold her any tighter, he did. No, he won't let go.

 

"It's still breaking."  

 

"Okay, okay." Lucas looks around. Everyone is gathered around them. Good thing they kept a little distance. 

 

"I found somewhere I can stay. I hope it's strong enough." She put his hand in to the crevice, making him lay on his stomach, and pushes his arms towards his body.

 

Lucas changes how he holds her hand and supports her weight as he feels her move. As soon as her whole body was gone from where she was. A loud crash is heard through the floor.

 

"Yuqi! Yuqi! Are you alright? Yuqi!"

 

Her hand begins to tremble. Lucas tries soothing her with his thumb. He can hear her clearly now. Her breath loud against the cramp space she's trapped in. 

 

With her voice breaking and her panic rising she was able to let out words that snapped Lucas out of his situation. Lucas looked for Soyeon and with his broken korean, asked her to hold Yuqi's hand.

 

He runs backstage, even if s stop him. His heart threatening to fly from his chest. He rounded from corridor to corridor ignoring the burning pain of his legs, his sweating body, and the shout of staffs telling him to go back. He pushed through and finally found himself standing under the stage. Bars of metal spread out from everywhere he look. Where was the stupid platform?

 

Ducking from any stray metals, he found a series of broken rods and circuits. It's a miracle only a small part of the stage got destroyed. 

 

But where was Yuqi? Is she okay? Is her leader still holding her hand? Her voice repeating themselves in his head.

 

Lucas, I'm scared.

 

"Yuqi!" 

 

His voice now dispalys the rushness he feels. The impatience and the worry. His feet keep tapping the floor. Where is she?

 

"Yuqi!" 

 

Her name echoes wrapping him with worry as he thread through the bars.

 

"Lucas."

 

Finally her voice reaches him. Without any lost breathing, he runs faster. He's nearing her. After a few steps, there she is.

 

Yuqi. She's crouched on to a bar of metal, balancing herself. The skirt of her dressed is teared, her arms and legs are decorated with bruises and a few drops of blood. Somehow she lost her other boot as she fell. She's still holding on to someone's hand and from where he can see her, she's shaking. 

 

Lucas is starting to lose his cool. They said that help is on the way. How long was Yuqi in there? There was nothing wrong about the platform during rehearsals, and why did she has to be the one to fall?

 

Stupid. It's bad enough that the floor was weak enough that someone fell through it. He didn't have to wish it upon anyone else. 

 

He once again shouts her name and with this she turns towards him. What happened to her? Her skin sports deep cuts as blood run through the side of her face.

 

"Lucas, no. The supports are wobbly. If you come near, the whole stage might collapse." 

 

Lucas grits his teeth, trying to think of a way to get her without anyone getting hurt. 

 

"They said that help is on their way. I can wait a little longer."

 

In the state that she's in, Lucas knew that he wouldn't leave her alone and she couldn't wait any longer. So he tries one more, he walks toward her careful not to touch any metal supporters. He can hear the noise from above as they shuffle in frantic steps. It's true. All supporters are wobbly, one wrong move and they'd be squished by the LED floors. 

 

"Yes, Soyeon." Lucas hears Yuqi says as the hand she's holding retreated from above. 

 

Yuqi is still up at the broken platform and Lucas will not ask her to just walk out from there. Lucas forms a plan and within minutes he is already in front of her, coaxing her to take cautious steps. Even if the plan is too risky - the platform will collapse and then the floor will fall that will inevitably crush them - anything is better than to wait for the help that feels like it's not going to arrive. 

 

He reaches across for her to hold his hand. Then, she begun to crouch her way towards him. All seems well until one of the supports fell. Luckily, with his quick reflex, Lucas was able to hold the floor with his back and Yuqi was able to hang on the supporter he was using.

 

 His part of the area was sturdy enough to support them and they both know it. 

 

Lucas continues to grit his teeth as he shakes from the weight of the floor. With bloodied and bruised body, Yuqi spends too long to heave herself up beside him. Both of them are feeling light headed but they know they have push through. As soon as Yuqi was kneeling beside him, he removes himself from carrying the floor, quickly wrapping her in a protective embrace. 

 

Then it happened.

 

The audience saw it. Every artists saw it. The floor gave up and fell down, destroying half of the stage. Debris flies everywhere taking every inch of the space.