Everglow

Everglow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  A/N: TRIGGER WARNING ( mentions of alcohol, anxiety, and death) DISCLAIMER: I have tried to recreate some of the events, and conversations from my memories to keep the story’s originality. Other than that, everything else will be a work of fiction. I would also like to express a prior apology if ever I wrote something that might be offending for you, or if you think I didn’t express some serious topics properly. I would really appreciate if you will inform me about some words, or some parts of the story that might be offensive that I should change.     We meet many people in our lives, and some of them just happens to be more special than the others. They impact our lives in ways we never thought they would, and that special bond will give us the light and warmth that we need when the only thing that surrounds us is cold and darkness.  

 

 


1 year ago

 

 

Wendy  

Hey, I need to tell you something.

-

Mark

What is it?

-

Wendy

I know that it's been 2-3 years since we broke up, and everything's okay now, but I still feel like my mind's not really at peace. I just want to have a proper closure.

...

 

***

 

"Welcome back! So, how was your 1-year business + leisure trip, Wendy? It's been a while, and you did not even bother updating us through your social accounts." Mark asks the person on the other line as he works on his computer.
 

"Oh, you know, same old. I still try to survive the day, but this trip made me realize a lot of things. Being by myself, away from all the stress and the toxicity made me feel calm and confident, surprisingly. See different people living their lives, and how they face their problems also made me think about how I can handle my monsters better, and live a happier life, you know? So yeah, I think it's all good."

 

"That sounds great. I'm really happy for you."

 

"Thanks, you should try it some other time too. So how about you? How was your year?"

 

"Did your brother not tell you? I finally opened up my art gallery."

 

"Really? That's great! We really haven't talked during the trip because we have different schedules, but he did say that he'll take me to this new art gallery in town when we get back. He did not say that it's yours, so I'll take it as his surprise. "

 

"But looks like it's a surprise no more, huh?"

 

"Well, yeah ..." Both of them let out a soft laugh. "... wait, I almost forgot, he did spill something else though."

 

"What is it?"

 

"I heard you have a girlfriend now!"

 

"Yep. She's great, we love the same things, she's easy going, she's really understanding. I really like her."

 

"That's great then!"

 

"It is, but ..."

 

"But what?"

 

"I'm not sure."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I just feel like I do not deserve her."

 

"Because?"

 

"To be honest, I do not know. I mean, she's really amazing, and I'm just ... this." He said with a low voice.

 

"Hey, do not say that.You're great in your own way, you're just having a hard time seeing it, and she did like you for who you are."

 

"I guess. Maybe it's just the stress talking, it's been a bit problematic at home these past few days."

 

"Oh, I see. Wanna talk about it?"

 

"It's okay, I think I can handle it. Thanks."

 

"Always welcome."

 

"Let's talk about your lovelife though. Met anyone new?"

 

"Well, I meet new people, of course, but not in that kind of way."

 

"Yeah, sure. You can't fool me."

 

"'Coz I'm not fooling you."

 

"Oh, for real? Why?"

 

"I do not know. I'm not really thinking about that right now, and no one's showing interest as well, so it's a win-win?"

 

"I'm pretty sure there's someone interested."

 

"Wow, you seem confident. If you're "pretty sure", name one then."

 

"Me."

 

"What?"

 

"I still like you." Wendy went silent, but a few seconds later, she heard a laugh on the other line,

 

"Not a good joke, Mark." She said when she realized what he did.

 

"I'm just kidding, I'm sorry. That was a really bad joke.”

 

”YOU THINK?!”/”It's Brian though." They said at the same time.

 

"It's not funny, and what?"

 

"I'm sorry!" He still finds it amusing. "And come on, do not act like you don't notice that." He added.

 

"Whatever."

 

"But jokes aside tho, if it's true, do we still have a chance?"

 

"If you really still have something for me, then why'd you court another woman?! Do you know how stupid that is?!”

 

"It was supposed to be a hypothetical question."

 

"And that's my answer. We've talked about this so many times now."

 

"I know."

 

"Keep your actions straight, Mark. We're not in high school, or college anymore. Do not be unfair to your girlfriend. She doesn't deserve this. "

 

"I know, I'm just joking. I love that woman to bits, sorry again, you're just too serious."

 

"It's okay. Just don't do anything stupid, you're better than that. I know some things are messing your mind right now, but do not let your other problems start another one."

 

"Yeah, thanks, it will not happen again. Why did this turn out to be a life lesson all of a sudden?"

 

"You started it."

 

"It was just a joke, Wendy." He's trying not to laugh because of what just happened. She's been like that since they were young, serious about almost everything and trying to turn things into a life lessons.

 

"Anyways, what if Brian asks you out? " He then added.

 

"What about it?"

 

"You know he has a thing for you for years now. Even before we got together. Are you not going to consider it?"

 

"We'll see. Like I said, I'm not really thinking about that right now. Okay, I'll hang up first, I'm kinda tired from the trip, Goodnight."

 

"Alright, take a good rest. Goodnight."

 

"You too, I know you're still working on your computer. Bye."

 

They both let out a heavy sigh as the phone call ended.

 

Mark aggressively brushed his hair with his hand in disbelief of what he just did, he was just supposed to ask her about her trip, know how she's recovering from her anxiety, but instead he decided to ask that. Going back, he knew that everything she did for the past years to end their relationship was for the best, but he still did not expect this would happen, especially now that he's already in a relationship. He knew that he was just joking, but sometimes jokes turn out to be half meant.

 

Meanwhile Wendy, already in her bed, remained staring at the ceiling, trying to comprehend what just happened. "Why do you have to make this harder for me?" She whispered to herself.

 

***

 

4 years ago

 

"Let's end this relationship. I'm mentally, and physically exhausted with everything, but I do not want to lose our friendship just because of a bad breakup. We both knew that this should not have started in the first place, but we still took the risk, and now look, everything is falling apart. "

 

"I am so sorry for all the pain and stress that I've caused you, Wendy. I promised that I would help you get trough your tough times, but here I am being one of the causes."

 

"That's why I'm doing this. This is the only way to save everything, Mark. To save you, myself, and everything we have."

 

"I understand."

 

"Thank you for understanding, remember that we can still both be happy, and sometimes it's to save us from even greater pain."

 

"You're right. I don't think I can even imagine a life without my best friend. Who would keep me grounded whenever I do something stupid, right?"

 

"You will always have a special place in my life, Mark, and please do not think that it's your fault. You helped me get up every time I'm feeling down. It's just that we all make mistakes, that's how we learn."

 

"Yes ma'am."

 

***

 

Weeks have passed since that phone call, and everything went back to how it's supposed to be.

 

"Hey Mark, where are you? Your parents, and your girlfriend just called me asking if I know where you are." Wendy said as soon as her call got picked up.

 

"Oh, hey Wen Yeah, I texted them already. We just finished with our basketball game, we're now here at Brian's house for a 'lil de-stressing. The other guys that we played with were all so aggravating."

 

"Let me guess, you're all drinking again, huh?"

 

"You know it." He let out a chuckle as he answers the question.

 

"Okay, I know you're all stressed now, but can you guys tone down a bit with the drinking?"

 

"Come on, you're making it sound like we've been drinking 24/7 ."

 

"Maybe not 24/7 , but let me remind you that you were all wasted just the other day ... and the day before that. I know you all missed Jackson, but this is not the way to do it."

 

"Okay, I'm not gonna deny that, but we're not drinking much tonight though. We do have to work tomorrow."

 

"Like I could do anything about it, you're already there. Just drink moderately, or you'll be complaining again about your stupid hang over after."

 

"You got that right again. Hahaha."

 

"Gahd, you're all so frustrating. When will you all learn to take care of your bodies? Many people are fighting for their lives, while you guys just waste it on that."

 

"Okay, you can chill now."

 

"Also, please tell Bri to just let my brother sleep there because I'm not going to wake up in the middle of the night just to open the door for him again."

 

"Yes ma'am." / "YO, B! Your brother-in-law's sleeping here tonight. Chief's orders." Mark teasingly told his friend.

 

"Got it! Hi Wendy!" Brian shouted back. Wendy just rolled her eyes.

 

"'Okay, I'm gonna sleep now. It's been a really exhausting day."

 

"Okay, goodnight, Wendy."

 

——

 

Wendy is currently on her way home from an appointment when her phone rang,

 

"Heyyy Wendyyy~" She rolled her eyes the moment she heard his voice.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Can you pick me up? Heeehh. I'm here at the pub."

 

"Let me guess, you're all wasted drunk again? Mark, you guys literally just got home last from a long weekend of drinking!" She said sarcastically.

 

"Come on, Wendy, Spare me the lecture, just this once. I'm just really tired of all these problems." Wendy noticed how the tone of his voice changed. She paused for a few seconds before answering back,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter