F I N A L

Finally

“I get that it’s 3AM, but I’m his older sister. He should have his phone on if I call in an emergency…” the young woman said to herself.

 

I’m sorry but the number that you are trying to call is currently switched off. Please try again later.” Yoon Seo sighed at the voice and decided that if Yugyeom didn’t pick up the first five times she called, he wasn’t going to pick up the sixth. Hopefully he couldn’t ignore her at his door - that would just be cruel to his beautiful and precious older sister. She arrived at his apartment complex 20 minutes later, giving the taxi driver an enormous tip for helping her take out her suitcase from the trunk and made her way into the elevator, pressing the button for the sixth floor. She had been traveling for about 20 hours now and just wanted to take a nice hot shower and sleep.

 

The last six months of her life had been a mess. It all started when she discovered her boyfriend was sleeping with the young college girl that lived next door to them. She didn’t think he was the one, and they had never said ‘I love you’, but the man should've had the decency to at least break up with her before doing the deed. After moving out in a rush into a much smaller and not as nice apartment, she had to move out again after there was mold found in her apartment, causing her to move in with her best friend’s family. Jackson and his wife had been so understanding about the situation, but Yoon Seo couldn’t impose on the couple when they were expecting a baby that would arrive any day. She had stayed there for a week before deciding to move into a motel room. It wouldn’t take her that long to find another apartment, right?

 

Wrong.

 

Not only was she was unable to find a new apartment, she was also fired from her job, the final factor leading to a breakdown. She was thankful she had her savings to fall back onto because living in a motel was not cheap and she couldn’t find an apartment that she could afford on her own nor did anyone need a roommate. It was after one month in that motel room that she decided that there was nothing left in New York for her. She had no job, no home, and no one other than Jackson’s adorable little girl that would keep her. It was an impulse decision but it was time to go back to South Korea.

 

Time to go back home.

 

Jackson and his wife were sad to see her go, they had always treated her as family, but they knew that she needed a change. Nothing was going right no matter how hard she tried, and despite the fact that she didn’t show it, it was taking a toll on her.

 

It was one week later that Yoon Seo was at JFK Airport, ready to leave the last 5 years of her life. She had managed to transfer her savings to a bank in Seoul, and dealt with any legal issues before permanently going back. She was to stay with her little brother Yugyeom for a few weeks while she found a job and apartment.

 

“You can do this, Kim Yoon Seo. You came to New York 5 years ago, and it’s fine that you’re going back. This isn’t a failure for you. It’s just one little bump in the road. You’re only 24, you’re still young,” she said to herself in the bathroom mirror, fixing her hair and adjusting her backpack. She heard the announcement that her flight was ready to board, and she nodded once more at her reflection before walking away.

 

‘You’re going to be okay,’ she thought to herself.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

Yoon Seo stood in front of the apartment door for about 10 minutes, suddenly nervous. She didn’t tell Yugyeom about her arrival and now she was worried. The kid had enough of his worries and his older sister moving in suddenly wasn’t probably ideal for him. He had his own life. What if he had a secret girlfriend that came over often? What if she lived with him? Shaking her head, she quickly pushed the doorbell, hoping she was just being paranoid.

 

It was quiet, but a few moments later she heard a shuffle and the sound of the lock turning. She sighed in relief and threw her arms around the man in front of her the second the door opened. “I’m so sorry for showing up unexpectedly without a warning but can I please stay here, I have nowhere to go, and oh my god, I missed you so much,” she exclaimed. She frowned slightly when Yugyeom didn’t answer or even hug her back, they hadn’t seen each other in person since she moved to New York and this was his reaction. “Yah, you can’t even hug - ” she said pulling back to question her brother when she was left speechless.

 

“You’re not Yugyeom,” she said, her face turning red.

 

“No, I’m not,” the man answered.

 

“Oh my god! I am so - oh my god. Um! I’m so sorry, I thought this was my brother’s apartment and I just - I. I’m so sorry!” Yoon Seo bowed in apology, quickly grabbing the handle of her bag and turning to leave.

 

“I know we haven't seen each other in 10 years, but I thought you would remember my face Kim Yoon Seo,” the man called behind her, leaning against the door frame, chuckling, causing the girl to turn back. She blinked at the man in confusion before it hit her. She rubbed her eyes to make sure, but the man was still there, smiling at her.

 

“Im Jaebum?”

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

You hear of those cliche stories about the boy and girl who lived next door to each other that fell in love, spending their entire life together. They grew up together and didn’t even realise when their friendship turned into love.

 

That wasn’t Yoon Seo and Jaebum. She wanted it to be them, she wanted that cliche with him, but alas, she wasn’t a very lucky person.

 

When Yoon Seo and Yugyeom moved to his neighborhood, they were only 6 and 4 years old. Jaebum was introduced to them early on, and they spent every day playing with him in their front yard. As they got older, this turned into walking to school together, frequent dinners, and despite the , Yugyeom was very close to Jaebum. They spent many late nights playing basketball and often sleepovers.

 

Yoon Seo wasn’t sure when she fell in love with Jaebum. Was it when she was 8 and he spent the entire summer indoors with her because she broke her leg? Or when she was 10 and he taught her how to ride a skateboard? 12, when he got into a fight with the boy that had been bullying her? Or 14, when she was heartbroken over the fact that Jaebum was moving. She knew that his parents didn’t have a good relationship, and when they finally got divorced, it resulted in him moving away with his mom.

 

The two shared a tearful goodbye, promising to keep in touch, but Yoon Seo couldn’t bring herself to. She knew that Yugyeom kept in touch, as she heard his voice whenever her brother was on the phone with him, managing to avoid having to speak to him other than a brief hello.

 

She thought she was over him. He was 15 the last time she saw him. Scrawny, messy hair, and eyes that could pierce one’s soul.

 

At 25 years old, he stood with broad shoulders and neat black hair, but his eyes.

 

They could still pierce one’s soul.

 

Yoon Seo’s soul.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

“Not quite the reunion I was expecting,” Jaebum said once he led her into the apartment. She was now sitting on the couch, her suitcase by the doorway as Jaebum went to get her a glass of water. Yoon Seo didn't want to seem awkward but she couldn’t help it. The feelings that she hid the last ten years years, the feelings that she that she downplayed regarding the man in front of her, they all came rushing back at once.

 

“Uh, yeah, I wasn’t expecting to see you either. I didn’t know that Yugyeom was living with you,” she said, downing the entire contents of the glass. “I’m sorry, but can I get more water? I didn’t realize how thirsty I was,” she let out an embarrassed chuckle.

 

“Sure,” he said, walking towards the kitchen. “And we don’t live together. Yugyeom left for a weeklong retreat last night with his college friends and he asked me to house sit for him as he had some important packages coming in and wanted someone to water his plants for him,” Jaebum explained.

 

“Oh, I thought he was going next week, explains why his phone is switched off,” she said quietly to herself, nodding as she drank the water slower. “Well I won’t be here for long, I’m so sorry for intruding on you this late - well early in the morning. It was nice seeing you Jaebum,” she gave a slight smile before making her way to grab her suitcase.

 

“Where are you going?” Jaebum asked.

 

“A hotel. I was already a little hesitant coming here and staying with Yugyeom, I definitely cannot stay here if he’s not here and impose on you,”

 

“And do you think Yugyeom would be happy knowing that I let his Noona leave his apartment and stay at some hotel almost 4 in the morning?”

 

“Well, I don’t feel comfortable intruding on you, Jaebum,”

 

“Oppa,” he said quietly.

 

“Huh?” she said, finally looking at his face since she entered the apartment.

 

“You used to call me Oppa when we were younger,” he explained. The two of them stood there in silence, just looking at each other before he finally spoke up again. “We’re meeting each other after 10 years ago. Even if we haven’t spoken all this time, you’re still the sister of my best friend, and someone that is special to me, I’m not gonna let you go stay at a random hotel when you a place to stay right here,” he extended one arm towards her, pulling her by the waist, the other arm grabbing her suitcase before guiding her to the bedroom. “Why don’t you freshen up, take a shower? I’ll make you something to eat and then you can sleep, you must be exhausted,” he gave you a soft smile.

 

“Thank you,” she whispered.

 

“Anything for you Yoon Seo,” he patted her head before leaving the room. She opened her suitcase, taking out her towel as well of a change of comfortable clothes, and grabbing the hoodie that was lying on the bed. She always loved wearing Yugyeom’s hoodies as he was much taller than her, causing the hoodies to be oversized for her. She entered the bathroom, turning on the shower and stood there, letting the hot water hit her body. The longer she stood there, the more her emotions were overpowering her before finally letting out the first sob she had been holding in the last six months, her tears blending in with the water droplets.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

Jaebum smiled at the pot of ramen he made. It wasn’t much but he had fond memories of eating a hot bowl of ramen with Yoon Seo as children, and he knew that it would help the girl feel better.

 

Yoon Seo was a special person in his life. He remembers the day when her family first moved in. She was only 6 years old but she was a ball of energy. Even at a young age, she was very close to her little brother, and that piqued his interest. Growing up as an only child, Jaebum was always jealous of his classmates that had siblings. However, that envy went away as he spent more time with the Kim Siblings. The three were almost inseparable despite the fact that they weren’t the same age.

 

Jaebum wasn’t sure when Yoon Seo seemed different in his eyes. Maybe it was when she was11 years old, and he saw her in that pink dress at her birthday party, smiling brightly at him when he gave her a gift. Maybe it was when he was 13 years old and Yugyeom confessed to him that he saw someone bullying his older sister. He couldn’t control his anger when he saw it for himself, and got into a fist fight with the kid to teach him a lesson. Or maybe it was when he was 15 and had to say goodbye to her. He promised to stay in touch, but he doesn't know what happened that caused that goodbye to truly become a goodbye. He stayed in touch with Yugyeom all these years which allowed him to stay up to date about her whereabouts.

 

When Yugyeom told him 5 years ago that Yoon Seo was moving to NewYork for an internship, Jaebum was upset. What was supposed to be a one year stay turned much longer after the company offered her a job, so he wasn’t sure what brought her back to Seoul. Jaebum was so sure that he would never get to see her again that he didn’t know what to do when she showed up at the door. He wanted to wrap his arms tightly around her, never let her go, but Yoon Seo pulled away before he could do anything.

 

He lost his chance 10 years ago, but one doesn’t easily forget about their first love. Especially not when the feelings are still there.

 

He poured the ramen into two bowls, placing them on the table before looking down the hall at the bathroom door. The shower had been running for awhile now, and Jaebum was getting a little worried about the girl. He walked towards the door and was about to knock when he heard a noise.

 

Sobs.

 

His heart instantly hurt hearing her cry. He always had a soft spot for crying people, and couldn’t help but hurt when his people hurt. He cleared his throat and kept his voice in control before knocking. “Just wanted to let you know that the food is ready. Yoon Seo. No rush, take your time,”

 

“I’ll be out in a minute,” he heard a stuffy voice reply, and Jaebum sighed, walking away from the door slightly, back to the table. Yoon Seo walked into the kitchen five minutes later, her wet hair combed, clad in the hoodie that covered the shorts that she was wearing underneath.

 

“Nice hoodie,” he commented, realizing that she was wearing his black hoodie that he left lying on the bed.

 

“Oh, I thought this was Yugyeom’s,” she blushed, reaching for the hem to take it off.

 

“No, keep it on,” he said, reaching for her hand to stop her. “It looks better on you than it does on me. You look cute,” he smiled. Yoon Seo felt her cheeks warm up, and she quickly sat down, reaching for the bowl of ramen to eat it, and Jaebum copied her, smiling to himself how 10 years later, she was still the same girl. The two continued their meal in silence until Jaebum took their empty bowls and cups to the sink.

 

“You can go into the room and sleep now,” he nodded in the direction of the room.

 

“What about you?” she asked. “I feel bad for waking you up so early when you probably have work,” she said, playing with her fingers. Jaebum smiled at seeing her still having the habit of playing with her fingers.

 

“It’s technically Saturday, I don’t work on weekends. I’m a music teacher at an elementary school,” he explained, washing the dishes. “I’ll probably take a small nap on the couch before going out for groceries later in the afternoon, so you don’t worry and just focus on resting,” he smiled.

 

“I’ll sleep on the couch, I’m the uninvited guest,” she said.

 

“It’s your brother’s home, which makes it your home, and I’m the guest. Don’t worry it’s fine, Yoon Seo,” he reasoned, wiping his wet hands on the apron before taking it off.

 

“The bed is big enough for the both of us,” she said quietly a few moments later. “There’s no need for someone to sleep on the couch when the bed is perfectly fine for the both of us. Plus, we used to share a bed all the time when we were younger,” she smiled.

 

“If you’re comfortable with it,” Jaebum said slowly.

 

“Don’t worry,” Yoon Seo’s smile got bigger and she turned towards the room and started walking away.

 

Nothing could go wrong...right?

 

Jaebum shook his head. Of course nothing would go wrong. She was just his first love that he had been in love with for the last 10 years. She was just his best friend’s sister. He could feel his heart beat increasing and hoped that only he was able to hear it as he walked towards the room. Yoon Seo was already in bed, looking straight up at the ceiling, her fingers playing with each other, and Jaebum copied her position as he got into the bed. He knew that she was still awake 20 minutes later and decided to break the silence.

 

“So what brings you back to Seoul?” he to his side so he could properly see her face. “I was for sure that you were never coming back home,” Yoon Seo didn’t say anything, and Jaebum thought he said something wrong and was about to apologize before she spoke up.

 

“My life was a mess,” she let out a dry chuckle. “My boyfriend cheated on me. To be honest, I don’t even know if I can call him my boyfriend. We never said I love you and he just didn’t make me feel special. I only agreed to go out with him because he was a friend of a co-worker, and then we moved in together really fast because living in the city is expensive. I found out he was sleeping with the college student next door - in our bed - and then I moved into a smaller apartment. Which I had to leave 2 weeks later, because there was a mold problem. I then moved into my best friend’s house, but I couldn’t stay there long, his wife was about to have a baby any minute, I couldn’t be a burden on them. I then moved into a motel while looking for a new apartment. Great, right?” her voice was getting strained and he could she was about to cry again. “NOPE. I then got fired, and forget looking for another apartment, I couldn’t stay in the motel. I realized that I had nothing left in New York. Everything about New York that made me want to be there made me hate it instead, and so I packed up everything and came back home. You must think I’m a failure,” she laughed, her insecurities getting the best of her.

 

Yoon Seo had built a facade around her for the last 6 months. Everything that could go wrong was going wrong, but she didn’t let anyone know how that was impacting her. And she was doing a pretty good job until she saw Im Jaebum open the door to her brother’s apartment at 3:30 AM.

 

She was doing pretty good until Im Jaebum welcomed her in without a single complaint and made her a bowl of ramen.

 

Pretty great until he let her wear his hoodie, allowing her to truly feel warm for the first time in a long time.

 

Pretty great until she remembered that she was still in love with Im Jaebum.

 

Her emotions were overpowering her, and she couldn’t stop her sobs as tears were falling down. She crouched into a ball under the warm comfy blanket as she sobbed over how her life was a mess. She truly was a failure.

 

“Hey, hey, hey,” she could hear Jaebum saying. She tried to stop crying, but she couldn’t. She tried saying she was okay, but she wasn’t. There was no hiding anymore. She felt Jaebum move, sitting up, before he held her shoulders to brought her to sit in his lap before wrapping one arm around her waist, the other leading her head into the nook of his shoulders, and all of a sudden it was like they were little kids again. Yoon Seo’s arms wrapped around Jaebum’s neck as her tears were falling onto his neck but she couldn’t help herself.

 

It was like when she was 10 years old when she fell off the monkey bars at the park, scraping her knees. Jaebum instantly rand towards her, piggybacking her back home.

 

It was like when she was 12 years old and Jaebum had comforted her after hitting the bully that made been making her feel horrible for a month.

 

She felt safe in his arms then, and she felt safe now.

 

“You are not a failure,” she heard his deep voice whisper into her ears, his hands her back to calm her down. “The man was trash to not realize how amazing you were, if anything you did him a favor by even going out with him. You deserve to be with someone that will love you like there was no tomorrow, someone who makes you feel like you’re the only person in the world for them. And who cares that you lost your job? You were too good be there anyways, they never promoted you, and any idiot would know that your skills weren’t being fully used,” the two stayed there in that position until Yoon Seo’s tears had finally subdued, but her arms didn’t loosen.

 

“I’m sorry,” she whispered.

 

“You have nothing - ”

 

“I’m sorry that I broke my promise. I promised you that we would stay in touch, but I never even tried. I’m sorry that I came and ruined your sleep. You were doing my brother a favor and I just barged in and - ”

 

“Hey,” Jaebum said, causing Yoon Seo to stop speaking. She turned her head, still leaning on his shoulder, to see him looking back at her. “Never be sorry. You say sorry too much. You have nothing to say sorry for,”

 

“But I broke my promise to you,” she said.

 

“No you didn’t. You’re here now, aren't you?” he smiled softly at her, his hand wiping the tear remeniants on her cheeks. “Let’s go to sleep now, okay?” his voice dropped to a whisper, and Yoon Seo found herself nodding. Jaebum guided her body to lie back down, turning her onto her side to face him as he wrapped his arms around her. Yoon Seo couldn’t help herself from scooching closer to him so that her head was leaning against his chest. She felt his arms tighten around her and she couldn’t help but smile softly.

 

Im Jaebum had the incredible ability to make her feel so safe in his arms.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

When Yoon Seo woke up hours later, it took her a minute to remember where she was. No longer was she in the dark motel room all alone, but rather in the arms of her little brother’s best friend, her first love, in an apartment that belonged to neither of them. Yoon Seo was now lying in his chest, one of his arms wrapped around her shoulder, the other around her waist, as his face was leaning towards her, his soft snores being the only sound in the room. Yoon Seo couldn’t help but snuggle closer to the man, her finger slowly tracing his facial features.

 

“How is possible that you got even more handsome?” she whispered softly, her fingers stopping at the beauty marks above his eye, remembering how jealous she used to be of them to the point that she would draw fake ones every morning. His skin was soft under her fingers, and she couldn’t help but think what it would feel like to wake up every morning in the arms of the one you loved.

 

In Jaebum’s arms.

 

Yeon Seo was studying his face, her fingers combing through his hair, when Jaebum’s eyes opened, his dark chocolate orbs staring directly at her, causing her to immediately stop what she was doing.

 

“Your eyes could pierce someone’s soul,” she whispered.

 

Jaebum let out a chuckle, his voice slightly husky. “Could they now?” he raised an eyebrow, smirking ever so slightly. Yoon Seo could feel her cheeks warming again and she turned her body, getting out of bed. She instantly regretted it, the apartment was warm and Jaebum was just so warm, but nonetheless, she stood up.

 

“I’ll go make some breakfast,” she said grabbing her phone. “Or dinner. It’s 6PM. Oh man, I slept for more than 12 hours, I can’t remember the last time I slept this long,” she said, tying her hair into a bun as she shuffled out the room, talking more to herself than the man that was still in bed, smiling at her.

 

“I’ll go shower and then I’ll help you,” he called out before heading to the bathroom, taking a quick shower before changing into a pair of grey sweatpants and a white t-shirt. He walked into the kitchen to see Yoon Seo at the counter, chopping vegetables, softly humming to herself.

 

Yoon Seo was lost in her little world, humming to herself, when she felt a drop of water on her arm. ‘Is the roof leaking?’ she thought, looking turning her head to see Jaebum’s face right next to her. “OH MY GOD!” she screamed, dropping the knife and taking a step backwards. “What the hell?” she exclaimed, her hand on her chest to feel her heart that was beating too fast.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you,” he apologized, bending down to pick up the fallen knife. “I didn’t know you’re still a scardy cat, Yoon Seo,” he smiled, rinsing the knife before taking over to cut the vegetables. Yoon Seo’s brows scrunched together, ready to tell off the older man when her phone rang and she saw the caller ID.

 

Jackson The Bestest Friend In The Whole World.

 

“I HAVE BEEN CALLING YOU ALL DAY, INTERNATIONAL CALLS ARE NOT FREE YOUNG LADY!” she heard a loud voice, and was sure that Jaebum did too based off the look that he gave her.

 

“You’re calling me on KakaoTalk. Those calls are free,” she replied.

 

“That is beside the point, young lady. Aish, you are the reason I am going to get grey hair early. I raised you with my all my love - ”

 

“Jackson, you’re only a year older than me. You did not raise me,” Yoon Seo said, a smile playing at her lips. She had only been away from her best friend for a day and she already missed him so much.

 

“I can’t believe your attitude. Talk to Julie instead,” he said before Yoon Seo could say anything.

 

“Hi Yoonie,” a feminine voice spoke. “Turn on your camera and you can see little baby Amy,” Yoon Seo’s smile got bigger, turning her camera on to see the face of the little girl that won her heart moments after her birth.

 

“Hi Ames,” Yoon Seo said in her baby voice, immediately attracting the attention of Jaebum, who couldn’t help but put the knife down as he got closer to Yoon Seo. He took a peek at the screen to see a woman moving the tiny arms of a laughing baby in her lap while Yoon Seo spoke to her.

 

Who’s that?” the woman on the other line asked Yoon Seo, seeing Jaebum in the background.

 

Ah, he’s my little brother’s best friend who is apartment sitting while he’s on a college retreat trip,” Yoon Seo replied back in Chinese. She didn’t like speaking in another language to keep Jaebum out of the loop, but she didn’t want him to accidentally hear something he wasn’t supposed to know. Jaebum’s face was covered in confusion as the conversation kept going in the foreign language.

 

Jackson! Get in here! Yoon Seo is currently staying with a boy that isn’t her little brother!” the woman exclaimed, bringing shock to Yoon Seo.

 

“Why would you tell him? He’s going to freak out!” she shouted back in Korean.

 

“WHAT?!” Jaebum was even more confused about everything that was happening, and slowly started to turn away and into the kitchen when he was stopped.

 

“Hey you white shirt man, stop right there,” a deep voice spoke in Korean.

 

“He’s older than you Jackson,” Yoon Seo whispered softly, but Jaebum heard her.

 

“It’s not like you call me Oppa anymore either,” he muttered back.

 

“Oppa?” the deep voice spoke up again. “This girl is going to give me a heart attack, oh my god,”

 

“Jackson, calm down,” Yoon Seo rolled her eyes. “Jaebum, this is Jackson, I told you about him last night. That’s his wife Julie, and their daughter Amy,” she explained to Jaebum in Korean, who was slowly starting to understand what was happening. “And Jackson,” she started in Korean, giving him a too sweet to be real smile, “this is Jaebum, and I swear to God if you say anything, I will make sure that I will fly back to New York and hurt you myself,

 

Jackson’s face immediately changed, but rather a look of fear, it was a look of fondness. “By Jaebum, you mean…” he didn’t need to finish his question, nor did Yoon Seo need to answer his question for him to know. “It’s nice to meet you Jaebum-ssi,” Jackson smiled, replying in Korean. “Please take care of our Yoon Seo, she’s our little flower,” he smiled, causing Jaebum to smile and Yoon Seo to frown.

 

“Don’t worry, I would never intentionally hurt her,” Jaebum said, causing Yoon Seo’s heart to beat a little faster.

 

“We’ll let you two be now. Yoonie, make sure to eat properly and call us often. We miss you! Say bye bye to Auntie Yoonie, Amy,” Jackson’s wife spoke, once again moving the little girl’s arms. Yoon Seo smiled, waving at the phone screen until the little baby giggles were gone, replaced with the emptiness of the apartment.

 

“I’ll get back to the cooking,” Yoon Seo said, getting off the couch, Jaeum following her.

 

“What can I help with?” he asked.

 

“I already seasoned the meat, you can start grilling it while I finish cutting the vegetables and fry those,” she replied. The two worked in silence but it wasn’t awkward. Comforting rather. Yoon Seo had always dreamed of evenings when she would be cooking with her husband after a long day of work. They would tease each other, give little pecks here and there -

 

“Aah!” Yoon Seo turned to see Jaebum holding on his finger, away from the meat. “Don’t worry, the oil was hot when I put the meat on, just a little splash, nothing much,” he said, walking towards the sink to run it under cold water. Yoon Seo walked towards him, and she could see a small bump already forming on his finger.

 

“Dumbo,” she said under her breathe, walking towards the bathroom where she saw the first aid kit earlier. When she came back to the kitchen, she guided Jaebum towards the table, taking out a small ointment tube and applied a little on the bump.

 

“Remember when you were 10 and you fell off the monkey bars?” Jaebum spoke up. “You were crying so much and didn’t stop until I took you home and gave you some ice cream,”

 

“Hey, come on stop crying!” 11 year old Jaebum said. The little girl in front of him kept crying.

 

“Everyone saw me fall, they’re going to make fun of me, and then no one will want to be my friend!” she shoved her face into her arms on top of her knees that were covered in Hello Kitty bandaids.

 

“Don’t worry, Noona!” 8 year old Yugyeom exclaimed. “I’ll fight them for you!” he jumped up into a fighter stance. Jaebum smiled at the two siblings and the love they had for each other.

 

“Yugyeom, stay here with Yoonie, I’ll be right back,” he said to the younger boy before running into his house. He returned 5 minutes later with 4 ice pops in his hands, Yoon Seo’s favorite. “One for Yugyeom,” he smiled, handing the little boy the treat.

 

“Thank you Hyung!”

 

“One for me,” he said before turning to the little girl whose tears had quieted down as she eyed the older boy, “and two for Yoonie!”

 

“Really?” her face brightened. “I can have two?”

 

“Because you got hurt on both your knees, you need double the treats to feel better,” he said, extending the treats towards her.

 

“Oh, thank you Oppa!” she exclaimed, throwing her hands around his waist before grabbing the ice pops.

 

“How could I? I was wearing Hello Kitty bandaids for days,” she chuckled, closing the ointment tube before standing up. “You go watch TV, I’ll call you when the food is ready. I can’t have you getting hurt again,” she giggled, going back to grill the meat and fry the vegetables. Jaebum was about to go to the living room, but there was something about Yoon Seo that wouldn’t let him leave the table. He sat there, looking at the girl quietly working, once again humming.

 

“I’ll set the table,” he spoke up a few minutes and Yoon Seo nodded. He took out the plates and was taking two cups out when Yoon Seo stopped him.

 

“Yugyeom has a bottle of wine that I’m sure he won’t miss,” she smiled, handing him two wine glasses, and Jaebum smiled back. Yoon Seo plated the food and the two sat in front of each other, clinking their cups together before eating. “So, I’m going to start apartment hunting tomorrow. It would be best that I find a place to live before Yugyeom comes back, it’ll help him worry less. I’ll also have to look for a job soon, I can’t afford an apartment without a job for too long,” she said.

 

“Do you know where you wanna live?” Jaebum asked.

 

“I want to stay in Seoul. I’ve spent five years away from my little brother in a foreign country, I don’t think I can stay that far from him now. I think he’s the older one sometimes, you know?” she chuckled. Jaebum’s heart hurt a little when she said that Yugyeom was the reason I wanted to stay in Seoul, but he smiled back at her nonetheless.

 

“He’s a good kid. Your parents did a really good job. Have you met with them recently?” he asked.

 

“I met with them almost a year ago when they were visiting the States. They always mentioned that they were going to retire early and travel the world, and they’re doing it,” she chuckled. “I haven’t told them that I was moving back to Seoul, they would drop everything, but they mentioned that they were coming home next month for Yugyeom’s birthday, so I figure I’ll surprise them then,”

 

“And does Yugyeom know that you’re here?”

 

“Nope,” she laughed, but it seemed somewhat forced. “I only decided to come back last week. I called him when I landed, but since he’s on the retreat, I couldn’t get through to him. I knew that if I told him, he would drop everything, but I can’t ask him to do that, he has his own life,” she explained, taking a huge gulp of the wine.

 

“But you needed help,” Jaebum said.

 

“I survived,” she shrugged, playing with her food. “Plus, a knight in shining arm helped me,” she said, winking at him.

 

“Yoon Seo,” Jaebum said, extending his arm so his hand lay on top of her. “I don’t care what time it is, whenever you need help, I want you to know that you can call me. I don't care where I am, who I’m with, I will be there. And I’m not doing this because I feel bad for you. I care for you,” his hand was holding hers, hoping that she would take his words seriously. “It’s okay to ask for help. You have so many people that love you and want to help you,” he added, squeezing her hand.

 

“Okay,” she whispered, nodding softly. The two finished their food in silence, Jaebum speaking up once to thank her for the delicious food.

 

“I’ll do the dishes if you wanna go shower, and we can watch a movie together or something afterwards,” Jaebum offered, and Yoon Seo nodded, making her way to the room to grab a change of clothes. She grabbed another pair of shorts and was about to open her brother’s closet to take one of his hoodies when she noticed a pile of clothes neatly folded on top of a small suitcase. Realizing that they belonged to the man sitting on the living room couch rather than her brother, she couldn’t help but pick up the grey hoodie and smelling it. Sandalwood. Before realizing what she was doing, she took it with her into the bathroom, changing into it after her shower.

 

When she walked back into the living room, Jaebum was on the couch, two glasses of fresh wine on the table in front of him. “Are you going to steal all my hoodies?” he questioned her attire.

 

“You smell nice and they’re comfy,” she said quietly, hoping he wouldn’t ask her to repeat her words as she took a long sip of the wine.

 

“You can keep them,” he chuckled. “They’re a little too small for me anyways, I only wear them to bed,” he explained, using the remote to find something to watch on Netflix. Yoon Seo couldn’t help but blush at his words, and leaned back into the couch, into the warmth of his sweatshirt. The two decided that there was nothing good to watch so they opted to just sit in silence.

 

“So what have you been doing for the last 10 years?” she spoke up.

 

“Well, after I moved away, nothing much. Went to the Seoul Institute of Arts and I just got a job as a music teacher last year at an elementary school near by,”

 

“You must love it,” Yoon Seo said, seeing the smile on his face when he talked about his job.

 

“I really do. The kids are just so young and innocent, but they’re so eager to learn,” he said, looking at her. She gave him a smile, leaning her head against the couch. “Is the wine making you sleepy?”

 

“No,” she said, despite the fact that yes, she was sleepy, but she wanted to keep talking to him.

 

“You know,” Jaebum started. “I only live ten minutes away from here. I have a spare bedroom, and I have been looking for a roommate, but I haven’t been able to find someone that I like. If you would like, it’s yours,” he offered.

 

“I’m not going to live with you for free,” she said.

 

“Then pay rent. My rent is 1400000₩, and believe it or not, a teacher’s salary isn’t super high. I could really use a roommate, and you could move in whenever,” he said.

 

“I think I’ll take you up on that offer. Thank you so much,” she said, leaning forward to wrap her arms around the man in front of her.

 

“Anything for you Yoon Seo,” he said, wrapping his arms around her, before giving her the address and security code to her new home. ‘You’re going to be okay, I’ll make sure of it,’ he thought to himself. “Let’s get to bed now,” he said, patting her arms. She stood up, shuffling to the bedroom while Jaebum took their wine glasses to the sink, quickly rinsing them, before making his way to the bedroom. Yoon Seo was already sound asleep, and he couldn’t help but smile at her. He got into bed, turning so that they were back to back. He wanted to hold her like the night before, but knew that he couldn’t. “Sleep well, Yoonie,” he whispered before closing his eyes and falling into deep slumber himself.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

Jaebum was sure that they fell asleep turned away from each other, so he was surprised when he woke up with Yoon Seo’s back pressed against his chest, one of his arms under her sweatshirt placed on her stomach, the other arm wrapped around her upper body, their legs tangled together. He smiled softly, studying her features. He always thought that she was adorable growing up with her chubby cheeks and light freckles sprinkled across her face.

 

But now, in his arms as a young adult, she was just gorgeous. Her short black hair from their childhood were now long light brown locks. She had a small scar on her left cheek, but it didn’t take anything away from her beauty. Her lips were a light pink, and Jaebum wondered how soft they would be against his own, unable to stop his fingers from lightly feeling them.

 

“Am I that breathe taking that you can’t stop staring at me, Im Jaebum?” she whispered, her eyes still closed.

 

“Yeah, you are, Kim Yoon Seo,” he said, ever so softly, but loud enough for her to hear. Time seemed to stop for them both. “You’re beautiful, so don’t anyone let you think otherwise,” he added.

 

“You need to stop saying things like that,” she said. “They make my heart do things I can’t control, and I don’t want to hurt anymore,” she whispered, trying to escape his arms, his warmth.

 

“I would never hurt you,” he whispered, tightening his arms to bring her closer to him. “You’re too precious to hurt,” Before the girl could answer, the bedroom door burst open.

 

“Noona!” a male voice spoke, jumping into the bed.

 

“Yugyeom, you’re on top of me!” Yoon Seo exclaimed, finding herself no longer wrapped in Jaebum’s arms, but rather squished by her not so little brother.

 

“I missed you so much Noona, I’m never letting you go!” he exclaimed, tightening his hold around her. “You have to stay here forever,” his eyes tearing at the fact that after five long years, he was finally talking to his sister in person, hugging her. Jaebum saw the two siblings and quietly left the room, closing the door behind him.

 

“I can’t breathe, Gyeommie,” she laughed, but tightly hugged the younger male back. She missed the giant dork she called her brother and his snuggly hugs. “What are you doing here, you’re supposed to be on the retreat for school?” she asked.

 

“Jaebum Hyung called Jinyoung Sunbae last night to tell me that you were here, and I couldn’t wait until the end of the week to see you again,” he explained, pulling back. “But what are you doing here?” he asked. “You never said that you were going to visit,”

 

“Ah,” she chuckled. “About that. I’m not visiting Seoul,” she started. “I’m...moving back, but don’t worry because I already found an apartment to move into, and then I’m going to get a job soon, but don’t tell Mom and Dad because they’re going to freak out!”

 

“Moving?” the younger boy sat up, staring at his sister. “When did you decide this?”

 

“Last week,” she answered, softly. She was never one to make an impulse decision like that, and her brother knew that better than anyone in the world.

 

“Noona...what’s going on?” Yugyeom asked, his voice much gentler than before.

 

“Nothing. I just really missed you,” she said, wrapping her arms around the boy. She felt his arms come around her.

 

“I won’t force you to tell me if you don’t want to, Noona, but I’m here to listen,” he said.

 

“How did I end up with such a nice little brother?” she said, patting his arms.

 

“Because I’m an amazing and perfect person,” he replied, earning a smack from the older woman.

 

“You brat!”

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

Yoon Seo walked into the kitchen after washing up where she saw Yugyeom telling a story about something that happened at the retreat, Jaebum listening to the boy as he was cooking omelette rice. She remembered how close the two boys were growing up, despite their , and was happy that this stayed the same even when they were older. ‘My favorite boys,’ she thought to herself as she got closer and sat across Yugyeom.

 

“It’s just like old times, right Hyung?” Yugyeom said, his smile from the minute he saw his sister still on his face. Jaebum nodded, looking at the girl across the table, smiling at her. The three of them settled at the table, Yugyeom and Jaebum sitting on one side, Yoon Seo on the other.

 

“So I’ll need a few days to clear out the spare room, so good thing that Yugyeom is back so you can stay here until I’m done,” Jaebum spoke up mid-bite.

 

“Huh?” Yugyeom looked at them both. “You’re moving in with Hyung?” he asked.

 

“I have a spare room and you know I have been trying to find a roommate ever since you moved out,” Jaebum explained.

 

“You two used to live together?” Yoon Seo asked.

 

“Yeah, you didn’t know?” Jaebum asked.

 

“It seemed like you two weren’t talking so I never told her. It wasn’t like she ever wanted to come visit,” Yugyeom muttered to himself, but the girl still heard him. She knew that her brother was close to Jaebum, but she didn’t know that he would be hurt over the fact that she didn’t stay in touch with him.

 

“Well,” Yoon Seo started, “I’m going to move into the spare room in his apartment, but only until I can get a job and save up some money. It could be a couple months, maybe a year, but we’ll see. For now, I’m gonna be here until the end of the week to smother you with my love and attention until Jaebum is ready for me to move in,” she smiled. Maybe things would work out for her.

 

“I don’t know if I feel comfortable letting you two live together. You guys last saw each other as babies - ” Yugyeom started.

 

“Early teenagers,” Jaebum interrupted.

 

“And now you guys are adults. Who knows what’ll happen!” Yugyeom turned towards his sister, protectively wrapping his arms around her. “All men are dogs, Noona, and I can’t let you live with a dog,”

 

“Yugyeom, first of all, don’t insult dogs like that. Also, you’re a male so by that logic I shouldn’t stay with you either,” she looked amused. “Also, like you said, Jaebum and I are adults. If anything ever happens between us, it’s involving me and him. Also, you know that I spent the last 5 years in New York doing God knows what, right?”

 

“Gah, too much information, I don’t want to hear you!” he exclaimed, covering his ears.

 

“Don’t act so innocent, Yugyeom,” Jaebum spoke up, “we both know why you moved out and got your own place,” he said, giving the younger male a knowing look.

 

“You bring girls home young man?” it was Yoon Seo’s turn to act shocked. Her brother’s face turned red, unable to verbally answer. “Anyways, maybe it’s time that Jaebum gathers his things and heads home so I can move in soon. Who knows what my brother’s social life consists of?” she said, causing Jaebum to laugh while Yugyeom’s face turned a darker shade of red.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

The day had passed with Yoon Seo and Yugyeom catching up on the last five years, with the exception of the last six months of her life, only giving him a few broad details. She then FaceTimed with Jackson, introducing his family to Yugyeom who instantly fell in love with Amy. After promising to call again in a few days, the two siblings went out for dinner at a local pizza joint before going to the grocery store. They returned home and Yugyeom retired to his room to unpack his bag. He came out an hour later, after showering, letting Yoon Seo know that she could have the bed while she was here, and he would sleep on the pull out sofa couch.

 

“Good night Noona,” the young boy bent down to kiss her on the crown of her head before she went into the bedroom. She felt happy after spending the day with her brother, but was still slightly anxious about what the future would hold. She looked online for places that were hiring, but knew that being a fashion journalist was not exactly a job that was high in demand. She managed to find two company listings, posted three weeks ago and instantly filled out the application and attached her resume to send it in. She looked at the clock and it was now 11 PM, but she didn’t want to lose the chance of getting a job just because she went to sleep. After putting her laptop away, she settled under the blankets, wearing Jaebum’s hoodie from her first night in the apartment.

 

2 hours had passed and she was still awake. She could feel her body was tired, exhausted, but sleep was nowhere close. She remembered the last two nights when she easily fell asleep in Jaebum’s arms. ‘Two nights in the arms of a man at night and now you can’t sleep on your own, Kim Yoon Seo?’ she thought to herself. She shook her head, pulling the hood over her head, hoping that the scent of Jaebum would be able to help her fall asleep.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

One week had passed in the blink of an eye. Yoon Seo didn’t have Jaebum’s number and she was too shy to ask her brother, so the only contact she had with the man was through Yugyeom. She spent most of the week at home, only going out to get dinner with Yugyeom in the evening. She had also heard back from the companies, and was luckily hired at one of them. Life was finally looking up.

 

“Hyung said you can move into tomorrow morning,” Yugyeom said to his sister one afternoon. It was a rare day that the younger male was home all day and he spent it playing video games.

 

“Let’s go out today,” Yoon Seo said.

 

“We went out last night,” he said.

 

“To the bank and the grocery store. Come on, let’s go to the mall, Noona will buy you something nice,” she said, begging the boy. She had been cooped up in the apartment all week, and she wanted to spend her last day with her brother. Once she moved in with Jaebum and started working, she knew she wouldn't be able to see Yugyeom frequently.

 

“Okay, okay,” he said, turning his game off. “But we have to be back relatively early so you can pack your stuff. You’re a slob,” he commented.

 

“Yah, I’m your older sister, show me respect!” she exclaimed. “And I am not a slob, I’m a very neat person!” she added, but knew it was futile against the brat she grew up with.

 

Two hours later, Yoon Seo regretted her promise to her brother as she had been standing in front of the fitting room for 30 minutes, watching Yugyeom go in and out trying clothes on. “I’m only paying for three articles of clothing, including accessories,” she reminded him. “I’m not made of money, kid,”

 

“Don’t worry,” she heard his voice from behind the door. “Why don’t you get something for yourself?”

 

“I’m just going to look around, send a text when you’re done trying everything and decide what you want,” she said, turning to walk towards the women’s department. She was about to turn the corner to wear she saw some dresses when a red piece of clothing caught her eye. She walked closer to a clothing rack where there were red hoodies. Her mind instantly thought of Jaebum and she looked down at herself where she was wearing one of his hoodies. ‘I took two of his hoodies because he said they were too small for him. Maybe I should buy him a new one,’ she thought to herself. She quickly checked the tag of the hoodie that she was wearing and bought the next size up, walking to the cash register when she felt her phone buzz.

 

From: Unknown Number

 

‘Can’t wait to see you tomorrow’

 

Yoon Seo smiled, saving the number as Jaebum’s, and replied back to him.

 

Likewise. See you tomorrow!

 

She paid for the hoodie, and with the bag in her hand, she walked towards the fitting room where Yugyeom was studying himself in the mirror. “You have plenty of black shirts, you don’t need another one,” she commented. Yugyeom nodded, turning to go back into the fitting room when he saw the bag in her hand.

 

“You bought something for yourself?” he asked, pointing at it.

 

“Ah, this? It’s for a friend,” she smiled.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

One hour later, Yoon Seo managed to drag Yugyeom out of the fitting room with five new shirts. The two were sitting in front of each other in the food court, munching on McDonald’s when he spoke up.

 

“Are you dating Jaebum Hyung?” he said so casually, as if he was asking what time it was.

 

“Excuse me?” Yoon Seo questioned, choking on her food.

 

“You two were sleeping together when I came home, and you’re even wearing his hoodie right now,” he said, pointing at her. “You don’t like people touching you when you sleep, and he hates it when other people wear his clothes. Even I’m not allowed to wear his clothes, even if they don’t fit him anymore,” he explained. Yoon Seo’s cheeks grew warmer, remember that Jaebum said she could keep his hoodie because it was too small for him, and now knew it was a lie. Yugyeom was his best friend with no reason to lie about this.

 

“I just got back last week, Yugyeom. Last week was the first time in 10 years that I even saw or spoke to him. How could I be dating him?”

 

“Well, you’re moving in with him,” Yugyeom replied. “Do you like him?” Yoon Seo grew quiet. “I know that you liked him when you were younger. You cried after he moved and even though you never spoke to him, you would always hear him talking to me and listened,”

 

“Those are feelings of the past,” she said.

 

“He was in love with you, Noona,” Yugyeom spoke up softly, causing his sister to look up at him, her eyes widened. “, I wasn’t supposed to - oh man, he’s going to be so pissed,” he muttered, grabbing his drink and taking a huge gulp.

 

“He was what? I swear to God, I don’t care that you’re my brother, if you don’t tell me what you know, I will kill you, Kim Yugyeom,” she glared at him.

 

“Jaebum Hyung was in love with you. I didn’t know until you left for New York, but he was crying so much when you left. He thought that you never coming back, and since you never contacted him after he moved, you would never get in touch with him in New York. but you can’t tell him that I told you this Noona, please,” the younger male begged, and Yoon Seo nodded, lost in her thoughts.

 

Jaebum was in love with her.

 

Was.

 

Meaning his feelings were in the past.

 

Her feelings hadn’t changed all these years, but Jaebum had moved on.

 

And she had no one else to blame but herself.

 

Yoon Seo did not fall asleep that night. Sleeping was hard for her ever since she slept in Jaebum’s arms, but even his scent on his clothes were no help to her as Yugyeom’s words ran through her head over and over again.

 

“Hyung was in love with you,”

 

Yoon Seo closed her eyes, shaking her head. Jaebum moved on, so could she. Who cares that in 8 hours, she would be living with the very man that was stuck in her head. She didn't need a man by her side. She never had a boyfriend longer than 3 months, but it never hurt her when it ended.

 

So why did this hurt so much?

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

“I have to go meet with my advisor so Jaebum Hyung should be here in a few minutes to pick you up, and then I’m starting my part time job this week, so I’ll come visit you this weekend, Noona,” Yugyeom explained, giving a quick hug to the girl. “I’ll see you soon, love you!” he called before jogging out the door. Yoon Seo shouted her goodbyes before closing the door, walking towards the couch. The apartment was small but it was cozy. She was thankful that Yugyeom was so understanding and let her stay here. She was looking out the balcony doors when she heard someone knocking at the door. Realizing it was Jaebum, she opened the door and let him in.

 

“I’m just going to quickly check that I got everything,” she said, pointing down the hall.

 

“I’ll take these down to the car, I’m parked right in front of the building,” he said, slinging her backpack over his shoulder, grabbing her suitcase handle. “This is all the stuff that you brought?” he asked.

 

“I was in a rush to come back, so I gave most of it away, only bringing the essential things that I needed,” she explained. Jaebum nodded, walking out the door while Yoon Seo walked into the bedroom. Without her suitcase and clothes thrown around, the room seemed a little bigger, and she felt so little standing there alone. “This is just a new chapter in your life, Yoon Seo. You’re going to be just fine,” she whispered to herself. “Just fine,”

 

She quickly turned towards the door, leaving a little note for her brother on the kitchen counter, thanking him for everything that he has done for her, as well as an envelope with some money. He may be a young adult, but he was always going to be her baby brother.

 

She walked out the apartment complex to see Jaebum sitting in the car, his head leaned back as his fingers were tapping along the steering wheel. “I’m ready,” she said, opening the door as she sat down, pulling the seat buckle over herself.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

The car ride had been silent, and Jaebum wasn’t home for long. He helped her carry her stuff into the apartment, telling her the passcode to the apartment and showed her around the apartment and then her bedroom. “I have to go to work now, but I’ll be back in the evening, so you can take this time to unpack, relax, do whatever you want. I’ll see you later, Yoon Seo,” he smiled, patting her head before leaving once again.

 

Yoon Seo looked around the bedroom. It was slightly bigger than Yugyeom’s room, but she didn’t feel so small. There was a queen size bed, two bedside tables next to it. The wall behind the bed had large windows that would probably allow bright light to come in if it weren’t for the dark grey curtains in front of them. To the side of the room, there was a closet and vanity table, a small work table on the other side of the room. She knew that if she didn’t unpack now, she would never unpack, and so Yoon Seo placed her suitcase on top of the bed, opening it to unpack her belongings.

 

It only took her two hours to put everything she had and she was content with the way the room looked now. It didn’t look exactly lived in, but it wasn’t as bare and empty as before. There were still five hours until Jaebum came home and since Yoon Seo didn’t have to start her new job until later in the week, the least she could do was clean the apartment and cook dinner for them. She remembered the door that Jaebum had mentioned was the laundry room and she was happy to see that his clothes were organized into a light and dark pile, making her job easier. She made a note to come back after she was done cleaning, and grabbed the broom and mop and got to work.

 

The fridge was luckily stocked up, meaning she did not have to make a trip to the grocery store, and got to cooking. She finished cooking, satisfied with how her food was, and covered the food. With another two hours before Jaebum would come home, she quickly shed her clothes, starting the laundry as she went to take a shower. She came out 30 minutes, feeling refreshed and energized. She went to put the wet clothes into the dryer and start the second load of laundry before heading into her room, pulling out a pair of leggings and Jaebum’s hoodie. She found herself wearing it every evening to bed, unable to part from his scent and warmth the hoodie provided.

 

She was just walking out of Jaebum’s room after placing his clean folded clothes, along with the shopping bag from the night before, on his bed when she heard him come home. “Welcome back!” she said, smiling at the man. “Why don’t you go wash up, I’ll heat up dinner,” she said, walking towards the kitchen. Jaebum walked into his room. ‘Is it just me or do the halls smell clean?’ he thought to himself, closing the door behind him. He noticed the pile of clothes neatly folded next to a blue shopping bag and he smiled. He put his clothes away before sitting on the bed to open the bag, taking out a red hoodie. He knew that Yugyeom wasn’t the type to buy presents for him, so it must have been Yoon Seo. He got up, taking a pair of black sweatpants from his closet and taking it to the bathroom along with the red hoodie.

 

“You clean the apartment and cooked dinner. Already better than my last roommate,” Jaebum joked walking to the table where Yoon Seo had dinner ready.

 

“Yeah, I heard he was a real brat,” she joked along.

 

“His sister was a bad influence on him, scarred the kid,” he added.

 

“Hey!” she laughed, throwing her napkin at the man, causing him to break into laughter. “You look good in red,” she said, pointing at the red hoodie that he was wearing, blushing at the realization that he truly looked good in anything.

 

“I look good in everything,” he smirked, looking up from his plate, food in his mouth.

 

“Not like that,” she gave him look. “Chew your food properly,” she shook her head.

 

“Yes ma’am,” he smiled, munching his food. The rest of their dinner was spent with them joking, talking about their schedules, and everything in between. The two sat there for another hour even after they were done eating, remembering their childhood. “Oh hey, it’s pretty late, we should go to bed now. I’ll do the dishes since you did everything else,” Jaebum offered, already picking up their plates.

 

“Thanks,” she said, walking towards the bathroom to brush her teeth and wash her face. She exited ten minutes later to bump into Jaebum.

 

“Good night, Yoonie,” he smiled, patting the top of her head.

 

“Good night, Bummie,” she smiled back, walking faster towards her room knowing that he absolutely detested that nickname.

 

“Yah, you should be calling me Oppa!” she heard his shouts from behind the door and couldn’t help but giggle to herself. She got settled into the bed, it was softer than the one that she slept in the last week and it was lulling her to dream land. She was on the verge of falling asleep, but she couldn’t get there. She checked her phone.

 

3AM.

 

Yoon Seo groaned, feeling her body was tired but it was annoying how long it was taking her to fall asleep. Those two nights with Jaebum really messed her up, and his scent on the hoodies were slowly fading. She sat up, looking at her bedroom door, sighing. “Man, I hate how he makes me feel like this,” she said, getting up. She quietly opened the door, hoping the creaking sound wouldn’t wake up the man sleeping one door away. She shuffled towards the glass doors, opening them so she can stand on the balcony. The sky was dark, but the stars were shining brightly, the wind crisp. Summer was coming soon, and she knew it wasn’t long until the sun would rise.

 

She lost track of time staring at the city lights and the few cars that pass by that she didn’t realize the doors behind her open. “Yoon Seo?” she heard the voice, causing her to jump slightly in her place. “Why are you awake?”

 

“I’ve been having trouble falling sleeping,” she said, turning away to look out towards the city once again.

 

“Glad to know I’m not the only one,” Jaebum said, walking so he was standing right next to her, leaning on the balcony bars.

 

“I had no trouble falling asleep before,” Yoon Seo started. “I was able to fall asleep when I was tired, but I share a bed with you for two nights, and for the first time in 24 years, I can’t sleep on my own anymore. I don’t even like being touched in my sleep, but there’s just something about you that - ugh!” she exclaimed. “I’ve had the worst six months of life and decided to move across the Earth, and things were finally starting to seem right, but how can they when I can’t even fall asleep on my own anymore! That’s how dependent - ” her words were cut short as Jaebum grabbed her waist, bringing her closer to him until her cheek was leaning against his chest, one arm around her waist, the other cradling the back of her head.

 

“Shut up,” he said quietly. “You talk too much and I am tired. Exhausted,” he said, placing his own cheek against the top of her head.

 

“Jaebum,” she whispered, her arms slowly wrapping around his waist. “Can I spend the night in your room?”

 

“Please,” he said softly.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

Yoon Seo had been living with Jaebum for a month now. They had fallen into a routine. They would leave for work every day at 8AM together, Jaebum would drop her off at her company before driving off to the school he worked out. They would send each a few text messages each day, usually making sure that the other ate or if they needed something from the store. Jaebum would return the apartment by 5PM where he would usually start cooking dinner until he went to pick up Yoon Seo from work at 6 PM. There would be the days when Yoon Seo went out with coworkers, taking a taxi home, or the days that Jaebum stayed behind to help out with a school event and those days, Yoon Seo would take the bus home. Once in awhile, their evenings alone with be accompanied by Yugyeom, and sometimes, they would go out for a movie and dinner.

 

Every night, the two would get into Jaebum’s bed together, her back pressed against his chest as his arms wrapped around her frame. Some nights, they would unwind and talk about the most random things, some nights they fell asleep immediately.

 

“So, now that you’ve been living with Hyung for about three months, how has it been?” Yugyeom asked one night. Jaebum was at the school for the school musical and Yoon Seo was spending the evening at Yugyeom’s apartment. The two siblings were sprawled on the couch, a pizza pie on the table with a random moving playing, but they weren’t paying attention.

 

“He’s been good,” she said, smiling at the thought of him. Jaebum was more than good. He was everything that she dreamed of as children, and she couldn’t blush thinking of how nice it would be if they stayed like this forever.

 

“You like him,” the younger boy stated rather than asked.

 

“I wouldn’t say I like him,” Yoon Seo blushed. As close as she was to her brother, they never discussed their romantic relationships.

 

“You’re right. You’re in love with him,” he rolled his eyes.

 

“I - ” Yoon Seo sat up, about to defend herself.

 

“Noona,” he said, his tone softer than before. “I see the way you guys treat each other. You guys are always holding hands, at the apartment, when we go out. You guys are always flirting with each other, it’s a little painful and awkward to watch. You guys can’t fall asleep unless you’re with the other,” he explained.


“How do you know that?” she asked, her face turning red from embarrassment.

 

“I saw some of your things in his room a few weeks ago an I figured it out, I’m not dumb, Noona,” he said.

 

“Even if I like - ”

 

“Love,” Yugyeom interrupted, earning a dirty look from his older sister.

 

“He doesn’t feel the same way about me,” she said in a soft voice.

 

“Have you confessed to him?”

 

“I don’t need to,” she sighed. “I just know,”

 

“You guys are so dumb,” Yugyeom muttered under his breathe. “Just talk to him about it in person instead of assuming his feelings,” he said louder.

 

“Life isn’t a fairytale, Gyeommie,” Yoon Seo gave him a sad smile. “Sometimes, the princess doesn’t get a happy ending,”

 

‘You’re no princess, Noona,’ Yugyeom thought to himself, ‘you’re Hyung’s everything,’

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

 

It was three nights later when Yoon Seo decided to talk to Jaebum. It was a Friday night and she just came up from the bar after drinks with her co-workers and she was surprised to see Jaebum still awake. He was sitting on the couch, the T.V. was on, but he didn’t seem like he was paying attention.

 

“Where were you?” he said, taking quick strides towards her. “It’s almost midnight, I was getting worried about you,”

 

“Why do you care so much about me?” Yoon Seo asked. It must have been the alcohol that gave her all this courage because she wasn’t going to stop until she got answers. “Why do you do all these nice things for me like it’s nothing?”

 

“Well, you’re someone special to me,” Jaebum answered. “Are you okay? Come on, let’s go to bed,” he said, trying to guide her, but she wouldn’t budge.

 

“See, friends don’t sleep in the same bed and cuddle together to sleep,” she said. “You do all these things and they just make me feel so…”

 

“Do I make you uncomfortable?” Jaebum asked, pulling away from her. The last thing he wanted was to make her feel like he was caging her in. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know you felt that way, I - ”

 

Loved!” she exclaimed. “You make me feel loved like no one else has ever loved me. You do things that make me smile and you hold me in a way that I feel warm and safe, and it makes my heart do things that I can’t control and I just know that you can’t ever be mine, but I’m just hopelessly in love with you, Jaebum!” she continued, her voice getting softer and softer, knowing that once he knew how she felt, she would definitely be heart broken, tears escaping her eyes.

 

Jaebum stood there in shock. Good things happened to him. He had managed to never get a speeding or parking ticket. He had great friends. He got along with his family for the most part. He loved his job and all his students. So yeah, good things did happen to him.

 

Amazing things?

 

Never.

 

“You...love me?”

 

“I never kept in touch with you after you moved because the distance just confirmed that you could never be with me. It was just a crush then. But the feelings never went away. And then when I went to New York, I was sure that I would find someone to take your place. No one,” she scoffed. “And yet, here I am once again, still in love with a man that doesn’t feel the same for me,” she said, wiping her cheeks.

 

Yoon Seo wasn’t sure what happened, it all moved too fast. One minute, she was standing in the dimly lit kitchen, wiping her tears as Jaebum stood 10 feet away from her.

 

The next minute, she was pressed up in between the wall and Jaebum’s body, his lips locked with hers while one of his hands was around her waist, the other cupping her cheek.

 

“Never,” he whispered, pulling away so that his forehead was leaning against hers, “for a minute think that I don’t love you. I have loved you before I even knew what it meant to truly love someone, and believe me when I say that I will love you until I take my last breathe. I will repeat these words to you everyday if I have to, but I’m never leaving you, Kim Yoon Seo,” he pressed his lips against hers once again, and this time, Yoon Seo kissed him back, going on her tiptoes so she could wrap her arms around his neck to bring him closer.

 

“I’m such a mess,” she said, leaning her head on his chest. She could feel his heart beating, and she was glad to know that she wasn’t the only one whose heart beat was speeding.

 

“Everyone needs a little mess in their life,” Jaebum answered, pulling the girl tighter in his embrace. “I didn’t think the day would finally come where I would tell you how I feel,” he laughed.

 

“You have Yugyeom to thank,” Yoon Seo smiled. “He’s the one that pushed me to tell you,”

 

“Thank God for that kid. He was raised well,” he said. The two had sat down on the floor against the wall, Jaebum’s arm around Yoon Seo’s shoulder, her head on his shoulder as he leaned against her.

 

“I heard his older sister was a pretty good influence on him,” Yoon Seo added. “She’s really pretty, you should meet her,” she joked.

 

“Is she single?” Jaebum joked back.

 

“Nope,” the girl giggled. “She’s in love with someone else, won’t look at anyone else,”

 

“Tragic,” Jaebum said, leaning in towards her.

 

“Truly,” she said, pressing her lips against his.“I’ve waited like ten years to do this,” she whispered, pulling back.

 

“Your 14-year-old self thought about kissing me?” he smirked. “Should’ve told me, I could’ve arranged something,”

 

“Oh, shut up,” Yoon Seo hit his chest, but giggled again anyways before wrapped her arms around his neck to kiss Jaebum once more. “Finally,”

 

Finally.