Fireworks

Fireworks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Fireworks
It's summer, it's you.

 

 

 

      It began when a summer exchange program was held in my college. I decided to join it since I wasn't a part of any club. I never considered it before, but just for one time, I thought it'd be a great idea to spend my summer with a new experience. Well, it should be better rather than playing a video game for a whole season.

 

      It was one of the best choice I've decided on my whole life. Why? The reason is simple. Because thanks to it, I was able to meet you... Kang Hyewon.

 

      At first, we were seldom talking to each other since I sat in front of you and I thought that you weren't the type that talk much. The funny thing was, every time the students drew a lottery to decide a group of two during class, we always ended up together. I think we conserved much energy during that time, since all I need to do was to turned the chair to the back. Even so, I didn't think we talked much during the group discussion.

 

      So, when was we started to get along with each other? Was it the time when I saw you didn't eat the fish that was served in the lunch set? Simply triggered by curiosity, I asked why you didn't eat the fish. You didn't say anything, but a friend of yours answered it for you.

 

“Hyewon doesn't like fish,” she said. At that time, you just let out a nod.

 

      Since I asked you that simple question, I noticed that you started talking more to me. Your Japanese was surprisingly better than another exchange students in our class. Also, you even greeted me! It was something that you never did to me before, even though we were in the same class.

 

      I was happy when you called me with your soft voice, really happy.

 

      I don't really remember, but it seems our relationship escalated quickly. One day, you asked me about my username in messaging application. Of course, I gladly gave it to you. We started to chat with each other about so many things. I couldn't even count about how frequent we chatted with each other.

 

      My mind would start picturing you whenever we chat with each other. It was getting worse, I even think about you although we don't chat with each other.

 

      I know it, I'm attracted to you.

 

 

 

 

      Here I am, standing in one corner of the station, waiting for you. You said that you want to watch fireworks festival to me. Oh yeah, summer in Japan is always about fireworks, and many girls would wear yukata, hoping that they'll catch the attention of someone they like. I'm not one of them, though. I never had any interest to come to a noisy festival like this, not even once. If you were not the one who kept asking me to come, I wouldn't be here.

 

      Well, you're the only one who could make me come to a festival. You should praise yourself for doing a pretty good job. Even people I considered as friends was not able to do that.

 

      The station is no longer appeared like a station, it's a sea of people. I could hear a girl near to me talking in a high-pitched voice, trying to act cute while holding her boyfriend's arm. If only I have a same courage to hold your arm like that...

 

      You know, that time when we playfully compared the size of our hands, my heart was beating really fast. The moment when your palm touched mine, I thought I would explode.

 

      From afar, I finally spot your goddess-like figure. You wave your hand at me with a wide smile plastered on your face. Wearing a plain white T-shirt and blue ripped jeans, you're approaching me. Gosh, my heart skipped for a beat just by meeting you.

 

      You're so beautiful, as usual. I wonder how long God took the time when He created you?

 

      Still, I can't hide a little disappointment from you. Honestly, I'm expecting you to wear a light blue yukata like the one I saw when riding the train.

 

“Sakura, is there something wrong?” You ask, staring at my sulking face.

 

“N-no, I'm just not used to be in a place with so many people like this,” I'm lying to you, slightly hoping that you won't ever realize the true reason.

 

“I see... You know, I'm kinda disappointed,” You say with a smirk on your lips.

 

      I'm tilting my head, confused with your words.

 

“I was hoping that you would wear yukata. I'm sure that you'd look pretty on it,” you lightly say it, while your beautiful eyes turned into crescents.

 

      Shoot, I'm going to explode. I can feel my ears getting hotter with your words. You must notice how red my ears are already. Oh, so embarrassing!

 

      Instead of mocking me over my reddened ears, your hand reaches for mine. My fingers desperately intertwines with yours a second after our skins came in contact.

 

“Let's go. We should reserve the best spot quickly,” You slightly pull my hand, forcing me to start walking side by side with you.

 

      I don't say anything, I can't. Looking down to see our intertwined hands, I wish you don't hear the loud sound coming from my thumping heart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

      I can feel your soft hand holding mine tightly. Truthfully, having a physical contact with another people is not unusual for me, but with you... it's different.

 

      At first, I was afraid that I acted too bold by reaching for your hand. What if you didn't like it? What should I say if you pull your hand off from me? Instead, you locked my fingers with yours, and that very moment, I know that you like it too.

 

      I try my best to not turn my gaze to you, because I don't really know what to speak. Well, I should have known that it's impossible to do.

 

      In the end, I keep glancing on you, examining your beautiful side profile. You're looking down, don't even bother to see what is in front of you. It's like I'm guiding you, and I can't help to not let out a chuckle.

 

“W-why?” You're stuttering with your word, still looking down.

 

      Your ear is supposed to hide beneath your hair. Maybe caused by the strong wind that is often found on the riverbed, I can spot the tip of your ear.

 

      It's red.

 

      Worry suddenly creeps into my skin. Are you embarrassed to be seen holding hands with me? I think I was hoping too much when you accepted my hand.

 

      Slowly, I'm loosing our intertwined fingers, freeing your hand from mine. You don't seem to be against it.

 

      We finally arrived at the food area. My tension is going up when I spot a takoyaki stand.

 

“Want some takoyaki?” No longer looking down, you ask me with your sweet voice. I nodded as a response. Before I take another step, you suddenly grab my wrist and pull it, guiding me to the stand.

 

      The middle-aged man on the takoyaki stand greet us cheerfully. He is suspecting us to be a really good friend since we're holding hands... or to be more precise, you're holding my wrist.

 

      Abruptly, you released your grip from my wrist. Laughing awkwardly, you tell the uncle that I'm a foreign exchange student from South Korea. His smile is growing wider, happy that there's a foreigner stopping by to try his takoyaki.

 

“My takoyaki got so many fans from Korean students, you know!” He said proudly. Both of us laughed at his remark. He might be exaggerating, but I should admit that I'm fond of his cheerful personality.

 

“I'm giving the two ladies extras, but please don't tell my wife!” He says while adding two more takoyaki inside the box.

 

“I can hear you!” A middle-aged woman behind him shouted. She turns to us with a smile on her face.

 

“He always gives extras whenever he finds beautiful girls!” She hit her husband's shoulder playfully.

 

“You're exaggerating. I'm giving them extras hoping that my takoyaki will strengthen their friendship!” He complains to his wife while handing two boxes of takoyaki to me.

 

“It'll be 700-yen each,” the wife says, and both of us hand the exact amount of money to her, then we leave the stand while saying thank you to the couple.

 

      We're heading to the spectating area. It's packed with people already, and we're struggling to find an empty spot for us. I'm already giving up when you're pointing your finger below and call for my name.

 

“Hyewon! Here!”

 

      We spread a vinyl sheet that you bring. Sitting on it, you open your bag, trying to find something inside. You let out a sigh, failed to find the thing you searching for.

 

“I'm sure I already put my drinking bottle inside...” You're pouting, your lips puckered and your cheeks puffed.

 

      Cute.

 

“I'll buy some drinks. What do you want?” I'm standing up, offering myself to buy her a drink.

 

“Really? I want a cola, then,” your sulking face disappeared immediately, changed to a wide smile.

 

      My lips curved, forming a smile. Your face is similar to an animation, able to change to a different expression real quick.

 

“Okay,” I say, then leaving you alone to purchase our drinks.

 

 

 

 

 

      I'm locking my stare at you as you leave to buy drinks. Your beautiful figure is standing out in the crowds, and there's so many people who is staring at you. I'm slightly worried, not wanting anyone to try their luck and hit on you.

 

      I'm upset at myself for letting you to buy the drinks. Why did not I volunteer myself? Sequentially, I take a look around, hoping that you'll back here quickly.

 

      As I look around, I spot a couple behind me. In my eyes, they're just too lovey-dovey. Their voices are loud, so I can hear what are they talking about clearly. I don't care about their topic though, it's not really me to overhear someone's conversation.

 

      You finally come back, bringing two bottles of cola on your hand. You hand me one of the bottle be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter