...

it’s still cold outside (but the tip of my nose is tingling)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

this is a spinoff of a oneshot from the fic "ugh i like you" i wrote in 2017 (2017!!!)

if u wanna read it first, here it is or u can just read this in its own

 

Contrary to the common knowledge in the palace that Prince Jeonghan hated Prince Mingyu all his life, Tora knew that there was a time when the former simply adored the latter. She brought up the memory once during one of Prince Jeonghan’s nightly rant session with her but the prince quickly turned to her with an offended glare and a cheek glowing with a deep shade of red, before he made Tora swore to never, (Jeonghan has emphasized it firmly with a tilted chin and a hard flick of his finger), ever mention it again.

 

And of course, she honored the order. Kept shut as Jeonghan revised the history to every butlers, maids, and cooks that have accidentally wandered to the dining area while he was having his afternoon tea. Most of the new palace staff have never seen Prince Mingyu and has known him only through Jeonghan’s stories. His reputation in the palace is as good as a stale tea left alone in the warm humid afternoon air, that it came as a huge issue when it was revealed that he was Jeonghan’s soulmate.

 

But Tora has been with Jeonghan since his first breath. She was a witness to every event, every milestone, every little thing that has happened in his life. There is no one other than her that is well-versed on the true history of their meeting. She knew that there’s a deeper story beneath what the prince has let on.

 

Here’s what Tora can remember:

 

Prince Jeonghan was five when Tora witnessed his first encounter with Prince Mingyu. It was the king’s birthday and the great hall was b with guests from far and wide. It was a great opportunity to finally meet the famous royalty from other kingdoms whom she only knew from snippets of gossip when she goes to the market. But Tora found herself stuck in one corner, placed on the task of watching over Prince Jeonghan.  The prince has always hated the crowd, not so fond on how too many strange faces would come up to him to offer greetings. He clutched her skirt like it was his most prized possession, his cheek resting on the side of her thigh as he hid the rest of his body behind her legs.

 

“There’s a lot of playmates available for you. Go on, join them…” she urged as a hoard of running children passed by them.  

 

Tora felt the boy’s hold on her slacken. He looked up at her, lips pursed and eyes filled with hesitation.

 

“Can I?”

 

The question sounded misplaced in the boy’s mouth for the Prince rarely asks for permission. His logic has always been “do whatever Jeonghan wants and see whether he get praised or scolded afterwards.”

 

“But they would not accept an intruder. See—“ he gestured petulantly. “They’ve already formed an army. I don’t want to play as the second dragon, Tora. I just can’t be!

 

Tora observed the kids, most of them holding a fork out into the air like makeshift swords. They were circling around the tallest of the bunch who has his hands extended like claws in front of his chest. He must be the dragon. She turned to the boy beside him, noticing the obvious shine in his eyes as he watched the scene play in front of them.

 

“But aren’t you fond of dragons, dear?”

 

“Well yeah,” the prince agreed. “But if I play the dragon, then I’d be the villain, and if I’m the villain, then I’d be going against the leader of the army. I don’t want to be against him, Tora. He is too powerful for me.”

 

Jeonghan seemed to have a good idea on the inner workings of the group and Tora suspected he must have been watching them for a long time.

 

“But how do you know that? I am a witness to how much strength your arms have. With how you cling to me every morning! You would fit greatly as a dragon.”

 

“Duh. It’s because the army’s leader would definitely the vampire. It would only only be foolish not to pick him. Vampires are powerful creatures. That’s what you told me the other night, remember? When you read me the book. You would have to read me more books about him Tora…. I need to be able to know their weaknesses. In that way--”

 

“Wait a minute, vampire?” she asked too loudly, confused at Jeonghan’s ramblings.

 

“Shhh,” he shushed Tora. “Talk more quietly!” he exclaimed pulling Tora down towards him so now their heads were on the same level. “Vampires are not fond of people talking about them.  So you better be careful about yourself,” he said leaning closer so he can whisper to her ear! “He might eat you!”

 

With the way Jeonghan talked, it seemed like he really believed that there was a real vampire in the room with them. Despite it, Tora was not suprised. It’s not really a new thing whenhe would talk about some imaginary friend. He’s a gifted child with a wild imagination.

 

“Very well. Can you tell me who he is so I can prepare myself?”

 

“Tora! How can you not know who he is? Look at your side, he’s the one--no, at your left! He’s the one wearing the yellow socks, the one with bananas. Yes, that one!”

 

At first Tora was confused for the “vampire” looked like any other normal boy out there. Well at least until the boy smiled widely. At that point, she got a good idea how Jeonghan arrived at his conclusion.

 

There was a lone tooth sticking out from his upper gum, the position at the side making it look like it was a fang.

 

“He’s got the golden skin Tora! The book said so. It's so beautiful! the prettiest shade!”

 

“Would you appreciate it if I talk to the vampire if you can join their army?”

 

“Really?” You would do that for me?” Prince Jeonghan’s face lit up, amazed at the suggestion.

 

When Tora talked to the little “vampire” prince, he wished that Jeonghan still play the dragon because we-just-killed-the dragon-we-need-a-new-one-please. Tora can’t say no to him so he looked at Jeonghan with apologetic eyes. Surprisingly, he agreed, showing not a hint of hesitation on the newly acquired role as he excitedly joined the other children,

 

When Tora asked him that night when he tuck him to bed why he agreed to be the dragon, Jeonghan just said,

 

“Well, he’s always smiling Tora. No vampire would smile brightly like that except for the good ones. Kind vampires are rare!” he gushed. “I want to see him again. I want to be his friend Tora!”

 

 

When Prince Jeonghan met Prince Mingyu again, it was chaotic — an encounter that almost broke the hundred years of alliance between two kingdoms.

 

Prince Jeonghan was six then, excited and jumpy at the prospect of seeing Prince Mingyu again. When the prince learned of the other’s planned visit, there was an immediate and obvious change in how the prince go on about his day. Beside the extra-skip on his step when he walked through the halls, she noticed that there was significantly less time spent on his of puzzles and books, and fewer moments when she’d caught him bothering the poor castle staff when he finished his morning classes and he has nothing to do. Instead Tora found him sneaking a lot of times into the kitchen, becoming chum with one of new cooks there. At night, he’d lock Tora out of his room, arguing that he’s just practicing his privacy a new concept he learned earlier in one of his lessons.

           

Normally, Tora would be bothered by the change in behavior but the prince has mentioned that he was only preparing a gift for the visiting prince. Tora can’t help but give out a fond smile, suspecting that Jeonghan might be brewing something which was involving food based on his new friendship with the kitchen staff. Delicious treats and beverages are always good choices for gift-giving.

 

The few days of going back and forth to the kitchen and sending maids to the market to buy whatever the prince has thought of including to the gift has culminated to a tall glass bottle with a wide neck and body covered with a multitude of little trinkets. The glass bottle was wrapped in a shining blue paper, dotted by beads and gems, and lined by little strings knotted into what seemed like ribbons. It was elaborate and something Tora has expected to see created by a pair of clumsy but passionate hands.

 

Tora felt his heart swell when Prince Mingyu gave out the brightest smile at the gift. But then the beautiful atmosphere immediately disappeared when prince opened the bottle--when the joyful look in his eyes was replaced with something akin to fear.

 

Prince Mingyu said nothing, his shocked eyes fixed to the contents of the glass bottle  before his bottom lip quivered and he gave out the loudest wail. He pushed the bottle towards his own assistant, a few drops landing on the floor with the force with which he handed the bottle. Tora found a drop of the mysterious content on her own arm, the same time numerous gasps resounded in the room.

 

She brought her arm closer to her eyes. It was dark red, thick and viscous, almost to the point of gelling.

 

There was no mistake.

           

It was blood.

                       

 

“I’ve checked, your majesty. They were right. It was blood.” She cringed from sound of the scandalized murmurs. “But it wasn’t from human, no,” she immediately added in an attempt to protect Jeonghan from the judgment. “It seemed to have come from a chicken.”

 

The queen looked like she was on the verge of fainting, the blood draining out of her face quicker than the time when she found out that Prince Jeonghan plucked a leg hair from an ill-tempered duke that paid a visit to the palace before. Beside him the king, Jeonghan’s father turned violet, his posture looking like he’s a second away from flinging out of his seat to find the prince if not for the tight hold of the queen on his arm.

 

It was the queen who first spoke, her eyes showing that familiar show of humility.

 

“King Namgyu, I am deeply sorry for what happened. You know him. You know he’s always had a creative mind,”

 

“Creative,” the King of Vayr scoffed. “I think you mean insane. I suggest you send him to a doctor. And I know you know what kind of doctor I’m talking about,” the King of Vayr said unforgivingly, a whoosh of air coming out of his nose. His eyes were focused at the distance like he’s ascended beyond the current situation.

 

"I know that you’re upset, but you have no right to insult my child like that.”

 

“You must know you’ve offended my son, the only inheritor of my house. This is a blatant attack to me and my family. Best believe that I would not let this simply pass.”

 

Tora stepped forward, bowing lowly. “If only you’d give me a chance to explain on his behalf your majesty… I have a full belief that the prince has prepared the gift with nothing but the purest intentions.”

 

The King of Vayr scoffed, his hands tightening around his golden cane. “He gave my son a bottle full of blood,” he stated matter-of-factly, jaw tightening.

 

Tora faltered but she braved through her explanation. “I am partly to blame, your majesty. I have tolerated his assumption that Prince Mingyu is a vampire. Prince Jeonghan has been very fond of the thought. His books—“

 

“A vampire?”

 

Tora cowered. The tone of the King of Vayr clearly sounded like she just made the situation worse.

 

“Prince Mingyu has very prominent canines, sir,” she explained, feeling like her heart was about to burst out of her chest. “And his skin is golden. The prettiest shade,” she repeated the childlike reason he heard from Jeonghan before in her panic. “You see, the prince has a great interest on fantasy books and he loves vampires the most. Prince Jeonghan has latched on to the thought that he is one. It was an innocent assumption, your majesty, one born out of nothing but admiration.

 

Tora watched the King’s face morph into pure disbelief at what she said. She almost feared for her life until a boisterous laugh resounded in the room. The King bent over, his chest hea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter