Sunflower

Sunflower
Please log in to read the full chapter

Haneul was casually sitting and talking at a table on campus grounds with her three friends, Haeyoon, Yuju, and Mirae. The quartet were hanging out once their classes were done for the day. Haneul suddenly heard her name being called from behind her by a male school mate. She's seen him before, but she couldn't recall ever having a class with him.

"Yong Haneul, correct?" The younger male asked while holding a sunflower in his right hand.

"Yes." Haneul confirmed with a curious gaze. "And you are?"

"Kang Chani and I'm here to deliver this to you."

Chani smiled at her while extending his arm forward to present the sunflower.

"Um, thank you."

Haneul took the flower although she was wondering why this random person was handing her the yellow plant. Before she could ask what she was thinking, the male scurry away to his group of friends. Haneul's eyes trail after the male and realized that in Chani's group of friends was a familiar face. Her childhood friend, Yoo Taeyang. Once their eyes connected did Taeyang smiled warmly at her while lifting an arm to wave at her. Out of habit, Haneul did the same with her free hand as a small smile graced her face before turning her attention back onto her friends. She caught their teasing gazes.

"What?" She asked like nothing just happened.

"What do you mean what?" Haeyoon asked with a pointed look. "Who was that and why did he give you that?"

"Please tell me it's an admirer. That would be so cute." Yuju cooed playfully while leaning closer to Haneul. "Do you think he's cute?"

"Girls," Mirae interjected, "She doesn't know him since she asked for his name."

Haneul shot her friend a relieved look.

"Thank you, Mirae."

"You're welcome, but who's the guy that you waved at and smiled at you? He looked familiar, but I couldn't really see him since one of his friend blocked my view."

Haneul scrunched up her face in hopes that she wouldn't have to answer that.

"Do you have a boyfriend and never told us about him?!" Yuju exclaimed before making a pouty face. "Haneul, you're so cruel."

"I don't have a boyfriend, Yuju. He's just a friend."

"Define 'friend', Haneul." Haeyoon clarified. "I would like for you to elaborate since it's Yellow and Rose Day today and only couples do such a thing and you just claimed that you don't have a boyfriend. Hmm?"

"Yeah. Explain that." The other two chimed.

Haneul rolled her eyes while tucking the sunflower gently into her book-bag.

"There's nothing really to explain. Also, I forgot today was Yellow Day and or Rose Day since he also gives me sunflowers when it's my birthday. Anyways, he's just a childhood friend and has always given me a sunflower on the fourteenth of May and the first of March."

Yuju let out a loud gasped causing the other three to look at her questioningly.

"He's the one that's been giving you sunflowers since high school!"

"No. He's been giving me them since primary school. It's just he attended a different high school than I did."

"But I first met you in high school, Haneul, so it's been high school since for me. I couldn't figure out which guy it was that was giving you the flowers and now it's because he didn't even go to high school with us." Yuju explained.

Mirae interjected with her own curiosity. "Why aren't you guys dating since he likes you a lot and are now in your final year of university?"

"Um, well there's a few reasons for that."

Mirae interrupted her before Haneul could actually explain those reasons.

"Which are?"

"Well, I was gonna tell you, but since you interrupted me, I don't feel like saying anything now."

"Oh, c'mon, Haneul. Don't be mean. I'm sorry." Mirae apologized with a big pout. "Please continue speaking."

Haneul cast each of them a look before sighing in defeat.

"Fine."

"Yay!" The trio cheered happily as Haneul rolled her eyes, but continued with her reasoning.

"Well, first of all, it's because he already has a girlfriend."

The girls let out a loud gasp, but didn't interrupt their friend. Haneul continued giving them an amused look.

"Anyways, second of all, we're not as close as we used to be since we don't hang out as often as we used to like we did in middle school. And I don't really see him like that so I never thought about dating him."

"But have you dated anyone though?" Haeyoon questioned nonchalantly.

"She has." Yuju answered for Haneul.

"Okay, but how about an actual boyfriend then?" Haeyoon prodded.

"Oh yeah. Her first and last boyfriend was in our second year of high school." Yuju confirmed. "But they broke up some time in our first year of university."

"Oh why?!" Mirae exclaimed with widened eyes. "How come I didn't know?"

"Because we weren't openly affectionate about our relationship and also the fact that he cheated on me while we attended different colleges." Haneul explained with a shrug. "It's nothing now since I don't have to bother with him ever again and there was no need to bring up my past relationship."

"Alright then. Let's talk about your current relationship status." Mirae grinned.

"Single as ." Haeyoon inputted with a laugh before side-eyeing her mischievously. "Or so she tells us."

"I am single, Haeyoon." Haneul stated firmly. "I'm not hiding anything."

"Yeah you are." Yuju disagreed with a shake of her head while indiscreetly pointing in the direction of where Taeyang and his group of friends were some distance away. "That guy who's been giving you sunflowers since y'all were kids."

"Don't point. It's not nice."

Haneul swatted at her friend's hand.

"Ugh. Fine."

Yuju crossed her arms over her chest in a sulking manner.

"You're such a child." Mirae commented, but Yuju stuck her tongue out at her in a playful manner.

"Then can you at least give us a name?"

Yuju then turned to shoot Haneul her puppy eyes.

"Eww. Stop doing that."

"If I stop, then will you give us a name?"

"No."

Haneul shot them an amused look.

"Why are y'all so curious about my love life and even about who I was childhood friends with?"

"Because the meaning of a sunflower is quite deep, Haneul." Haeyoon reasoned while reading something off of her phone. "Do you even know what the sunflower symbolizes and mean?"

"Not really. I never thought about looking it up."

"Okay, well then let me informed you about them."

Haeyoon grinned at her before casting her eyes back onto her mobile device.

"Sunflowers symbolizes adoration, loyalty, and longevity."

Haeyoon began with a giddy smile as the other two girls let out contented sighs with a dreamy expression upon hearing the meaning. Haneul rolled her eyes at their behavior, but let Haeyoon continued.

"They are also known for being 'happy' flowers. They're the perfect gift to bring joy to someone's or your day."

Haeyoon finished with an even giddier smile as she directed it at Haneul.

"Are you sure you still think of him as a friend, Haneul? Because I think he thinks of you as more than that."

Haneul scoffed. "Please. No one's like that nowadays. Hardly anyone makes romantic or sweet subtle hints like those."

Haneul then stood up while gathering up her things. Her friends noticed how delicate she was when she put her things into her bag as to not crush the sunflower and when she settled the bag onto her shoulder in a gentle manner.

"Anyways, ladies, I have other things to do so I'll see you three tomorrow."

"Fine. If you won't tell us, then we'll just ask him when he gets here." Yuju remarked with a smug look.

Haneul's eyes furrowed in confusion.

"What do you mean when he ge-"

"Neul."

Haneul quickly turned around upon hearing the familiar nickname she hasn't heard since childhood from her childhood friend while her facial expression turned to one of puzzlement.

"Taeyang?"

"THE Yoo Taeyang?!" The trio chorused at once upon recognizing the male.

"Haneul. You know The Yoo Taeyang of Sigma Phi Nu?" Mirae questioned with an awe tone followed by Haeyoon who was also in awe.

"And the main dancer of the school's dance team, Knights of the Sun."

"He's also like the Fashionista King of Neoz University." Yuju exclaimed excitedly. "Omo, Yoo Taeyang, I'm such a huge fan of yours!"

Taeyang smiled at Haneul's friends in a calm manner while nodding his head at them.

"Thank you." He thanked them before gesturing towards Haneul. "Wo

Please log in to read the full chapter