In My Dreams & In My Room

In My Dreams & In My Room
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byulyi walked quietly in the hallway, her footsteps softly echoing in the emptiness. She carried folders and textbooks in her arms, the pile nearly reaching up to her chin. She blew her growing blonde bangs away from her eyes, trying her best to keep her balance, 

Sunlight peaked in through the cracks of the windows, making parts of the polished floor shine. She could hear birds chirping still, meaning the students weren't on school grounds yet. She had purposefully arrived at school earlier in hopes of reorganising the classroom a bit and hopefully begin sorting out the papers for the mid-year examination.

Turning to her left, Byulyi walked into the dark classroom. Humming her favourite song, she carefully held all the books in one hand as she turned herself around to switch on the light. Slightly dazzled by the sudden brightness, Byulyi blinks for a few seconds before grabbing the stack with both hands once more. She shifted the books so that they were no longer covering her vision and let out a shriek. 

Loud successive thuds rang in the classroom as the books fell to the ground. Having dropped a few books, Byulyi clasped her chest with her hand as she felt her racing heartbeat. She quickly picked up the dropped books and before she could even say anything, the teacher sitting in her chair spoke up.

"My, Miss Moon. I didn't take you to be a screamer," said the voice in a laughing tone.

Byulyi looked almost sceptically at the woman in front of her, masking her confusion and shock.

"Well, it's not very polite to invite yourself over into another teacher's classroom, is it Yongsun?" Byulyi replied, walking over to place the heavy load off of her and onto the table beside her chair where Yongsun was sitting.

"It's Yongsun in the staff room and nowhere else, Miss Moon. Please remember that." 

Yongsun's giggles had disappeared and were replaced with a stern look on her face. 

Or as stern a someone with the most squishy cheeks Byulyi has ever seen physically could. 

Byulyi smiled at the girl, completely unfazed by her change in tone. She grabbed the stack of folders and shoved them into the drawer under her desk, well aware that Yongsun was following her every movement. She grabbed the remaining books and walked to the back of the table and began pushing them into empty slots. She continued to work her way through the stack, pretending as if Yongsun wasn't watching her from behind.

"So." Byulyi took the initiative as it seemed like Yongsun wouldn't. She didn't take her eyes off the books she was handling, neither did she turn to face her. "What brings you here into the science part of the building?"

"Why can't I just be checking on the work environment of my fellow staff?" came Yongsun's clear voice after a few seconds.  

Byulyi nearly scoffed at how she almost got away with it.

"That's sweet of you, Miss Kim but you seem to have forgotten that we're both in two different faculties, yours being pretty much in the other half of the school and that you've never had an interest in what I did."

Byulyi smirked to herself knowing she'd caught the other teacher. Yongsun wasn't one to make small talk, at least not with her. She seems really friendly with the other teachers so it isn't like Byulyi can easily brush off the distant expression she holds whenever she goes near her, or how she makes no effort to ever speak to her. 

When Byulyi had first seen Yongsun sitting in her seat, she was almost certain she was hallucinating, that it was just what happens sometimes when you spend too long looking and physic papers. However, this had been the first time Byulyi had interacted with Yongsun, let alone actually hear her address her name. It was weird and strange, Byulyi wasn't going to lie, but she was interested in whatever was so important that the girl who had never even held eye contact with her was suddenly sitting in her chair, early in the morning far away from her own faculty. Whatever game or whatnot Yongsun was playing right now, Byulyi wanted to join in. 

"Right, then."

Byulyi heard the clicking of heels as Yongsun stood up. Curious, she turned around from the shelf to see what Yongsun was up to. Now, instead of sitting on her seat, Yongsun had chosen to half lean, half sit on her table. Byulyi wrinkled her nose, slightly displeased on how slow the conversation was moving. She thought Yongsun of all people would understand that time is money. 

"Miss Moon, do yo-"

"Before you continue, Miss Kim." Byulyi interrupted, feeling rather bored and impatient. 

"This better be worth both our times, not something like you telling me you like how I look in this leather jacket today," Byulyi finished, the right side of her lip tugging up in a covered smirk. 

While Byulyi had said it with innocent intentions, or at least to just slightly lift the mood a bit, she did not expect the reaction she got. Yongsun opened to speak, before closing it again, biting her lower lip. For a second, Byulyi was a little worried she'd gone too far. Yongsun didn't become head of the music department for no reason and even if Byulyi wasn't in her faculty, she knew Yongsun could still get her into a lot of trouble.

"And why would I come to say something like that?" Yongsun says after a while much to Byulyi's relief as well as amusement.

"It was as good of a guess as another, maybe you just wanted to tell me so I'd wear it a bit more. Just like how I want to tell you that blouse looks good on you." 

Byulyi returned to conversation back to Yongsun right after.

"Sorry, what?" Yongsun had shot back quickly, obviously not having thought about what she was going to say beforehand.

"It's a compliment. Don't tell me someone has pretty as you have never heard one before?" Byulyi stared at her with faux innocence, pleased with the reaction she had gotten.

By now, Byulyi could just make out that cute tinge of pink on the cheeks of Yongsun who was trying her best to look unfazed. Byulyi didn't think she was doing a rather good job at it, but she didn't complain.

"Back to what I was going to say," Yongsun cleared . "How well do you know your dreams?"

Byulyi blinked daftly, having not expected a question like that. Perhaps something about the upcoming examinations or even possibly for a coffee or a meal, a question which Byulyi haven't received a short amount of, but frequently declined. Though, if Yongsun was going to look at her with such eyes as she was doing at the moment, Byulyi would accept if she was being perfectly honest with herself. 

"Dreams?"

"Did I stutter, Miss Moon?" 

"No, I just wasn't sure I heard right. This isn't something I get asked a lot."

Yongsun looked rather surprised at her honest answer, at the lack of a sharp or witty reply. She watched silently as Byulyi walked back to the front, the sudden change in topic seeming to have piqued her interest. She leaned against the wall next to the whiteboard, gazing somewhere towards the back as she thought.

"Depends, what do you want to know about them?"

"First off, your opinion."

Byulyi raised an eyebrow. This really wasn't the sort of conversation she thought she'd be having with Yongsun in the morning in her empty classroom. 

"As in what I think of them?"

Yongsun nodded back, Byulyi having her full attention.

"Well, many people believe they act and are represented upon the desires of the subconscious, or hidden feelings and fears. I for one, think there's a linkage but I never dwell on mine for too long. Good enough?"

She glanced back at Yongsun who seemed to be absorbing her every word. If it wasn't for how out of her comfort zone Byulyi was at the moment, she would have found the concentrated expression on Yongsun's face rather endearing. 

"What about the meaning of dreams?"

Byulyi looked at her, confused. Her mind was whirling, a mixture of confusion, satisfaction, surprise and other emotions she wasn't able to name. Still, she was holding her guard, not wanting to step too forward. 

"Why are you asking me of all people, Miss Kim. It's not like the two of us are the best of friends as you'd know."

Byulyi swore she saw a flicker of some sort of emotion in Yongsun's eyes before she had averted eye contact. 

"We'll get to that, just trust me," she said back after a while, gazing back at Byulyi's eyes with such intensity it almost scared her. 

"Well. Um. I think you need to go more specifically into that. What sort of dream are you thinking of?"

As soon as her question left Byulyi's mouth, Yongsun looked away. Byulyi furrowed her eyebrows, watching as Yongsun's gaze laid somewhere amongst the rows of desks on her right. It seemed that the spot she had chosen was doing her favours, as the light from the window seemed to shine just on her. The sun's rays brought out the brown of her hair more, making it appear lighter than normal. Light reflected from her eyes, bringing attention to their shade of brown. Furthermore, Byulyi could see how her glossed lips seemed to glisten, as if they were inviting her. It was a pretty pink, very subtle but attractive nonetheless. Byulyi bit her tongue softly.

"It was of someone," Yongsun said softly, still not looking at her. 

Byulyi hummed, urging her to continue. She watched her face carefully, scrutinising in hopes of finding any signs of what this was going to lead to.

"She took me out. For dinner," Yongsun hesitantly glanced back into Byulyi's eyes before averting them again. "Just us two. At a restaurant."

Byulyi put in all her effort to hide her surprise. She noticed the deepening pink on Yongsun's cheeks. Feeling rather perplexed about the situation, she decided to be straightforward. Byulyi was used to being the one who sent out mixed messages, not being on the receiving end.

"Look, Miss Kim. I'm gonna be upfront. Why are you telling me this, not Ms Bae or Ms Heo? Both of us don't need to pretend you come to me with these things, or at all. Don't tell me that this is your attempt to make fun of me?"

"No, I wouldn't do such a thing. Just, geez, wait. Just listen to me!" Yongsun turned her head to face Byulyi, her voice slightly raised and sounding a lot less calm and collected than before. 

Byulyi lifted an eyebrow, feeling rather mistreated. However, she convinced herself that whatever Yongsun had to say must have been important if she came to her of all people. Beside

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter