Chapter 1

Before Us, the Sea [yoonmin]

It was raining when Yoongi stormed out of the BigHit building.

He couldn't see much because of the rain, but it wouldn't have made a difference either way - his sight was already blurred by his tears. Briskly, he stormed off into the evening, not really knowing where he was going. As if he ever knew.

 

His body drunk on tears, he stumbled onwards. He kept walking and walking. He didn't want to stop. Didn't want to think. Thinking meant understanding and understanding meant desperation and desperation meant dead end. He didn't have a plan anymore. That was his plan. And it was gone. 251 songs. He wrote 251 songs for 19 companies in 3 years. Not one got accepted. Not one earned praise, admiration. They were good for nothing. Wastes of paper and ink. Worthless, just like him.

The sudden smell of salt unfurled in his nose. Bewildered, he lifted his head and, to his surprise, looked at infinite blue.

He was standing in front of the ocean.

He stared for a little while longer, still taken aback. Had he really gone that far? Wondrously, he sat down and looked at the soft peach colored sunset merge into the endless blue. The sky wasn't getting lost in the ocean, he pondered. It seemed as if they were two lovers, touching each other for the only time of day they could, before having to say goodbye.

Suddenly feeling the heaviness of his rejection again, he lowered his head. 

"No matter how hard I want to have the sea, I always end up with a blue desert". Looking at the ocean, he started to hum. "I just started walking and ended up at the sea/ I'm looking at the coast from here /There's endless sand and the rough wind/ But I'm looking at a desert" 

Until he heard a voice behind him.

"What's the name of that song?" the voice asked. Stumped, Yoongi turned around and saw a short, rose-haired boy standing a few feet behind him. After a short pause, Yoongi shook off the shock and responded skeptically, "Why? Do you like it?" The stranger smiled at that. He seemed like a person who generally smiled a lot.

He walked to the front of the pier and sat down next to Yoongi, leaving a bit of space between them. "I do" he replied. "It sounds like there's a lot of history and pain behind it. It makes me joyous and melancholic at the same time." Yoongi broke the eye contact to look at the setting sun, suddenly feeling embarrassed, but not really knowing why. The stranger turned his head to look at Yoongi and smiled again "So? Whats the name of the song?"

 

Taking a deep breath, Yoongi answered "It doesn't have a name. Leave it." He didn't feel like talking music with a stranger when he just got rejected for his goddamn music.

They sat in silence for a while. With every second that passed, Yoongi started to feel more anxious and confused. Why wasn't the boy leaving? God, this was awkward. Finally, he looked up from the pier to tell him off. But when Yoongi looked up and saw this boy's face, he found him smiling. Why the hell was he smiling? 

 

He was smiling that smile that Yoongi saw earlier. It seemed to come so easily, but it still felt so sincere. What an extraordinary smile that was.

 "Come on", the boy said suddenly, "Let's take a walk" Frowning, Yoongi looked up at him. "Why?"

"Because you look like you need a friend right now. Come on, let's walk for a bit. I can take you out for soju later too, if you want to."

Free soju? Maybe this boy was nosy as hell, but Yoongi didn't have had soju in a long time. Too long, if you asked him. " it. I'm dying for a glass of soju." Yoongi stood up abruptly, ignoring the hand the boy offered. 

The boy smiled at him sympathetically. "I'm Jimin, by the way." Yoongi looked at him, expressionless. "So?" he retorted. He didn't feel like making friends with this guy, so there wasn't really a need for formalities, or a name, for that matter.

 

But "Jimin"... Why did the name sound so familiar, even though he was sure that this was the first time they had met?

Yoongi shook off the thought. It was probably just his mind being too excited for the outlook of soju. "I don't want to get to know you, man. You don't need to know my name. You're an one night drinking bud for me, alright?" For the first time, the boy's - Jimin's - smile fell.