Final

Oblivious


Jinki knew for a fact that Kibum was in love with Jonghyun. The amount of skinship and the time they spent together alone explained a lot. Jinki was convinced when the fans also shipped Jonghyun and Key together because he knew that the fans always knew. So for the past 5 years, he hid away his feelings for Key, safely in a little compartment inside his heart. He knew that his feelings would never be reciprocated because out of all the members, Kibum always spent the least time around him- almost as if he was avoiding him. Jinki wished that he could be Jonghyun, to have that privilege to be right next to Kibum all the time, to listen to his worries, to hold him close.  But he was just Lee Jinki, the not so charismatic leader of SHINee, he thought. 

It was mid year when they finally wrapped up promotions for their latest album and they were finally getting a break. But instead of going home, Jinki preferred to stay at the dorm where he could spend his time freely and perhaps do some reading. He expected an empty dorm for himself because the boys would always spend their holidays with their family. But he was wrong. Apparently Kibum too was spending his holiday at the dorm because his parents were away. Jinki was nervous to be around Kibum for a whole week and he was already thinking of a million excuses to find a way to get out of this awkward situation he didn't ask for. But in the end, he still ended up sticking to his earlier plan knowing that Kibum will probably just avoid him anyway. 

All the three boys left the dorm on the following day. Taemin was sad to leave and he clung on to Jinki tearing up. " Taemin ahh, it's just a week and we are going to meet again soon. Go home and have lots of fun with your family okay? " Jinki hugged Taemin tight before waving him goodbye. Taemin was like the brother that Jinki never had, they were close and Jinki always took good care of him. Jinki was a little sad to see Taemin go, but he was also looking forward to spending his time all by himself. But he turned around and saw Kibum staring at him coldly. Jinki thought that Kibum didn't even bother to hide the dislike he had towards him anymore. With a heavy sigh and without saying anything ,he passed by Kibum and walked to his room.

They spent the evening quietly in their rooms and Jinki could hear noises outside the room. Kibum must be cooking dinner, he thought sadly. He wanted to help but Kibum once made it clear that he didn't want Jinki in the kitchen after he broke his favourite mug ( the one Jinki bought for his birthday) . Jinki bought him a mug the next day and pasted a small sticky note saying sorry and  he also made it a habit to stay out of the Kitchen whenever Kibum was in there. He always watched him cooking longingly , keeping his distance. Sometimes it hurt him a little when Jjong gave Kibum back hugs and he also got to taste Kibum's food before anyone else. How he wished that he could be Jjong, but he sadly was just Lee Jinki.

After spending almost the entire day cooped inside the room, Jinki went to watch TV in the living room. He was happily watching a show on Netflix about war crimes when he noticed that Kibum sat next to him on the couch. Knowing that Kibum would probably prefer watching TV without him, he quietly stood up and walked towards his room when he heard Kibum say something softly.
" I'm sorry that I'm not Taemin, hyung" . Jinki stopped on his tracks thinking that he heard it all wrong. " Bummie, what do you mean, I was just .." Jinki was stopped mid sentence with Kibum's outburst. " I am sorry that I am not Taemin, but you don't have to act like I have some contagious disease hyung??. why do you always do that, do you know how much it hurts??". Jinki saw that Kibum was holding his tears. Jinki was beyond confused and didn't know how to react. " Bummie what does me going to my room has anything to do with Taemin and I.. I am not ignoring you". Jinki looked clearly flustered as what was unfolding in front of him was a scenario he had never thought of. " You want me to believe that hyung??when you literally just stood up and walked away?? Really? I am not stupid  Lee Jinki !! I have eyes and I can see what is going around me !!" Kibum's sobs were louder he looked angry and frustrated. " Do.. do you know that I lied to everyone about my parents being away so that maybe I could finally spend some time with you?? and you just brush me away just like that. I know I am not Taemin hyung, but just treat me like the other members at least. You are so cruel". Jinki was just too shocked to react . His heart told him to go to the younger and hold him tight but his body didn't seem to move.
All he could muster to say was a soft " I'm sorry" while closing the door behind him as he walked in to his room.

Jinki could still hear Kibum's soft sobs from his room. His heart broke to see the younger boy he loved so much in tears. He then remembered what Kibum said about staying in the dorm for him. Jinki reasoned with himself that Kibum probably wanted to mend the broken friendship between them. He knew that he should probably get out there and talk with Kibum but he was afraid that he would end up confessing his feelings to him and scaring the younger boy. But his Kibum was crying and he just couldn't take it anymore. Jinki walked out of the room and saw Kibum curled on the sofa and his heart just sank at how vulnerable and small the boy looked. He walked over to the sofa and scooped up the boy in to his arms. Kibum visibly stiffened from Jinki's action but soon relaxed himself in Jinki's arms, his hands grabbing on to the front of Jinki's shirt. " Bummie, I'm sorry for making you cry. I .. just always thought that it was better to be out of your way because I am not like the other boys. I am boring, clumsy and there's nothing likable about me"  Kibum couldn't believe what he was hearing right now but he held it in and listened to what else Jinki had to say. " And I am not sure why you keep mentioning Taemin, Bummie. I wish that you knew how much you mean to me" Kibum reached out to touch Jinki's cheek. " I also wish that you knew how much you mean to me hyung" . Jinki looked at Kibum's tear filled eyes and they were filled with love. Jinki smiled at Kibum and instinctively placed a gentle kiss on the younger boy's crown and hugged him tight as he fell asleep in Jinki's arms. Later that night, he carried Kibum over to his bed and laid the sleeping boy on his sheets. He then gently flushed himself against Kibum's curled frame and fell asleep next to the one person he loved with his entire being.

Jinki woke up the next day feeling like everything that happened last night was a dream. But when he felt the warm presence curled in his arms, in deep sleep, he realised that it wasn't. 
He smiled to himself. Even if Kibum could not be his, he could live with this. 

The week flew by quickly and everything was just too good to true. For starters, Jinki took the risk to offer his help to Kibum in the kitchen and Kibum let him help. He shrugged it off with a smile whenever the older did something wrong or was being clumsy. Sometimes when Jinki felt a little extra brave, he would back hug Kibum too and Kibum would just hum in response and let him hold him. Jinki  felt like his heart was about to burst from the love he had for the smaller boy. Kibum would also snuggle next to Jinki when he watched his TV shows like it was the most normal thing to do. They would go grocery shopping together, and Kibum let Jinki pick what he wanted to cook. They would also sneak out at night for a late night stroll and Kibum would reach out for his hand and he would hold it, entwining their fingers together. At night, Kibum made it a habit to sleep next to Jinki, cradled in his arms. It almost felt like they were a newly married couple.

Jinkis heart broke when their time together was coming to an end because he knew that things would not be the same anymore once Jonghyun returns. That night he held Kibum a little more closer and a little more tighter in his arms, afraid to let go.

The bed next to him was already cold when he woke up the next day and he heard the boys being loud outside the room. Everyone was back. He was happy to hear the usual hustle and  bustle in the dorm with the boys but his heart sank a little when he realised that everything will go back to how it used to be. He walked out of his room and Taemin immediately launched himself on him " Hyungggg !! I missed youu" . Jinki ruffled his hair and smiled at him warmly. " I missed you too Taeminah " . His eyes then looked for Kibum and he saw him sadly looking away. Sighing, the older joined the boys as they took turns sharing about their trip. Jinki didn't follow Kibum to the kitchen because Jonghyun offered to help and he watched them being playful together with a heavy heart. Jinki remembered how things were just a day before and it broke him to watch it fall apart. He quietly had dinner with the boys and excused himself to go to bed because honestly, he wasn't feeling good. 

It was late night when Jinki was already in deep sleep when he was woken by a sudden familiar warmth next to him. "Bummie?" his voice was raspy from sleep. Kibum didn't say anything but flushed himself closer to his chest. Kibum was crying. Jinki pulled him close with his arms protectively around his smaller frame. " shh shh Bummie, what happened?"  Kibum raised his head to look in to his eyes and Jinki his cheeks wiping away his tears. " Hyung, I missed you today, I missed you so much". It was Jinki's turn to tear up. " Me too, Bummie, me too..but I ..I thought that things were supposed to get back to how they used to be. You and Jonghyun together and all .." Kibum looked at Jinki with a confused expression. " Hyung,  did you seriously think that I was dating Jjong or something? Jjong is my best friend, we are both just comfortable like that.. but I don't know about you and Taemin, because you both seem awfully close " Kibum was now biting his lip nervously and looking and Jinki with sad but hopeful eyes. 

It took Jinki a while to realise what was actually happening. " Bummie, we are both idiots" he was now smiling with his crescent eyes. " Taemin is like a younger dongsaeng to me, he has always been the little brother I never had. I thought I already made it clear to you." Jinki felt like his heart was finally at peace. Kibum was smiling through his tears while looking at Jinki with so much love that Jinki didn't hesitate to capture his lips with his own. Their first kiss was everything he ever dreamed of, it was slow , sweet and filled with all the emotions that he just couldn't put in to words.   
 " Hyung, I have loved you for the longest time, you were the only one in my heart. I was so happy the past week and I want to continue to be happy" He gently reached to cup Jinki's face kissing him once more." Let's be happy together, for a long long time. I love you to Bummie, I love you so much.. you don't know how long I've waited to kiss those cherry lips of yours". Kibum blushed and they ended up kissing once again. That night both of them slept peacefully, arms and limbs entangled ,bodies molded and hearts beating  as one.