Finale

Heirs to the Thrones

Sooyoung was relieved that they didn’t stay longer than two days in Bali. She was afraid of what would happen, what she’d give if he asked.

As they landed in Incheon, they changed to fresh suits their secretaries brought for them. From the Sooyoung and Sungjae who stole a weekend to be together—for whatever reason—they changed back to CEOs Park and Yook, who prioritized work as their number one.

They said nothing as a goodbye. He gave her a kiss on the cheek and entered his car.

She was shocked because she felt a pang of loss when his car walked away.

“Miss Park? Is everything alright?” Irene asked, shocked by how her boss stared at Sungjae’s car that disappeared from view a few seconds ago.

Sooyoung stirred at the question, gave her secretary a small smile, and entered her own car.

It’s the start of another week. She’s Park Sooyoung, and life would resume as it should be.

*************************************************

The first thing Sooyoung noticed when she returned to the office was the painting she so badly wanted was placed right in front of her huge desk, properly lighted as if it’s placed on a high class gallery.

It was indeed beautiful. The ballerina was outstretching her hand passed the top of her head, the spotlight focusing on her, the audience’s expression full of awe staring at her.

Sooyoung noticed the personal touch from the sender, though.

The painting wasn’t hanged by the usual white rope to hang paintings. No. Three thick gold chains replaced the usual rope, with little gems of onyx filling the length.

A negotiation fulfilled?

She sighed, the painting’s frame, before moving away, sitting on her desk, and began her work.

*************************************************

Sungjae forced himself to pull away one step, wishing Sooyoung to contact him first.

If she still didn’t reach out for a week, he decided, he’d resume his chasing game.

Apparently, Sooyoung did contact him first, although not in the way he expected.

She appeared in his office that Saturday night—because of course he was working—unceremoniously entering his office at 8 pm.

She was wearing her sunglasses, and sat quietly in front of him.

He could sense something was wrong in how silent she was. Then, he noticed the tear stains on her usually impeccable face.

“.........something really wrong just happened, isn’t it?”

She wasn’t sure why after what just happened, she drove as fast as she could to his office. She just wanted to be with someone who understood—and though she tried to deny it, Yook Sungjae was someone who would completely understand how she felt.

She took off her sunglasses, and there, on her fair skin, was a cut right under her eye, as if someone scratched her with nails.

Sungjae cursed to oblivion and got up from his seat, reaching for her face and looking closely.

Only that close could he see her right cheek was red.

Someone slapped her.

“Who did this to you?” he hissed.

“Only my mother” she answered, obviously trying to sound nonchalant but failing, due to the tears streaming down her face.

“I’m here because I can’t talk about this to anyone else. And that you’d understand exactly how I feel.”

“What happened???”

“That bastard Taehyung—he told my parents what happened. Making his secretary pregnant and how angry I was. How he wanted to just compensate that woman and still marry me. But I refused. So I was called to our family home to “explain” everything. Like how selfish I was for wanting to break the engagement “just because he had one mistake.””

She got up and paced around in anxiety.

“They threaten to take FYO and my shares in our bank if I wouldn’t marry that jerk. And I—“

“I screamed at my mom for forcing me to do it—for still shoving him at me when it’s obvious that he’s a cheating bastard.......”

Her voice was cut by her own sob, and Sungjae reached for her, hands prying her own hands that were covering her face.

“After everything I’ve done—“ she choked, “After everything I’ve given up for my family—my parents could still force me to marry a jerk just because—“

“I’m so sorry, Sooyoung” he said, pulling her to his embrace.

“How could parents do this to their own child?”

“I’m so sorry” he repeated, because it was the only thing he could say at the moment. But it was enough for her. It was what she wanted, needed to her.

“I know how it feels. It’s crazy. They have no right. And I’m so sorry that you have to experience this.”

Her sobs dissolved to real cries, and she held on to him tight, burying her face in his.

She felt broken that night, and he was there to hold her together, before she shattered to pieces that couldn’t be repaired.

***************************************************

It’s the first time in her life she asked for comfort from a man, and Sungjae gave it to her, bringing her to his apartment and holding her to sleep in bed, her tears wetting his t-shirt.

When she woke up, they had breakfast together then she left him with a peck on his cheek. None of them spoke about what broke her the night before.

That afternoon, despite the hateful incident the previous night, Sooyoung was still present during her family’s weekly lunch.

In the middle of it though, she and the rest of the family were surprised by an announcement from the family’s butler.

“A Mr. Yook Sungjae is here to ask permission to speak to Mr. Park.”

“............the Yook Sungjae? The owner of Yuhyohan?” asked Sooyoung’s father.

“The very same, Sir” the butler confirmed.

“Ask him to wait until our lunch is over.”

The butler disappeared, as Sooyoung’s emotions went into overdrive.

That jerk, she cursed inside.

I knew it! He’s going to reveal our affair and humiliate me in front of my whole family! The nerve of that guy! I’m going to—

The butler reappeared, “Mr. Yook Sungjae said he has a very urgent matter to discuss, and that you—er......”

“What? What did he say?”

“It’s a bit rude, Sir.”

“Just say it, goddamn it! We all know how rude Yook family all are!”

“He said, you would be an idiot for not hearing what he’s going to say. It could be what will make this family richer.”

For one, Mr. Park refused to be called an idiot. And second, anything related to money could never be ignored, even if he’s a Yook, and rudely interrupting Park’s family weekly lunch.

Sungjae walked in as if he’s been walking to Park family’s mansion all his life, impeccably dressed as usual.

“Yook Sungjae-ssi” Mr. Park greeted.

“Good afternoon Mr. Park, Mrs. Park” he bowed.

It was the epitome of awkwardness. They had been hating each other since God knew when, and he was there all of a sudden, for God also knew whatever reason.

“Have you had lunch? Please have lunch with us” Mr. Park offered.

“I’m fine, Sir, thank you.”

“Please sit down.”

“I’d rather stand, thank you.”

“Then er—would you care to tell us why you’re here today? I confess I have no idea why we get the pleasure of your er—visit.”

“I’m here to propose for your eldest daughter, Park Sooyoung.”

Everyone in the dining room was aghast. From Sooyoung’s parents, her sisters, her grandparents, her two aunts and uncles......

Some even stared at him open-mouthed.

Sooyoung’s face looked as pale as a sheet by then.

“That’s er—flattering, I’m sure” Mr. Park replied, “But she’s engaged to another. As I’m sure you are as well.”

“I’ll cancel my engagement with Kim Sohyun publicly today.”

“Yook Sungjae, cut this insanity right now” Sooyoung exclaimed, standing up.

“It would be a wise decision to let your daughter marry me. After all, for all sense and purposes, I have more assets than Kim Taehyung-ssi. There’s also one very important fact, although you don’t seem to care. I’ll be one hundred percent loyal to your daughter if she’s promised to me.”

Mr. Park, who was usually savvy in communication, was speechless.

Sooyoung had enough.

Before anything worse could happen, she dragged Sungjae by the hand.

He willingly followed her, despite turning away and saying, “She can have fifty percent of everything I own.”

Sooyoung dragged him to the garden, so furious she was afraid she’d have a .

“So this is what you’ve been planning, huh? Taking over my company this way?”

Sungjae soothed the wrist she held so tight earlier when she dragged him. It’s reddening.

“You’ve missed the point entirely, CEO Park.”

“What the hell are you trying to do, Yook Sungjae? WHAT THE HELL???”

“I’m doing exactly what I said. I’m going to marry you.”

“So this is why you approached me? I knew it. I knew it from the start. You just want my company! Well, I’m going to tell you, Yook Sungjae, you literally have to go over my dead body, because I would never—“

“Park Sooyoung. I’m going to marry you. And this is not because I want your company or your parents’ bank.”

“THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DOING THIS???”

He stared at her.

Did she just cry herself to sleep in my arms last night? Hard to believe she’s the same woman.

And then he got witty.

“For the , obviously. It’s so great.”

“I’m going to kill you!” she screamed, before hitting him with her bare hands, “Appearing like this in front of my whole family and humiliating me! I’m just going to kill you!!!”

He expressed that her hits hurt, but she wouldn’t listen, and no matter how he tried to dodge, she was insistent.

“Yah, will you stop? Yah, Park Sooyoung! YAH, PARK SOOYOUNG!!!”

“WHAT, YOU JERK???”

“You really shouldn’t treat your knight in shining armour like this.”

“What knight bull? My parents are going to beat me up for this!”

“They won’t if you agree to marry me.”

“Why would I???”

“Because I’m Yook Sungjae. Come on, Sooyoung. Surely you can’t deny that it’s always either you or me on Forbes Korea number one in the top 10 list of richest people. Marrying me would be so much more profitable than marrying that scumbag Kim Taehyung, who couldn’t even put his in the right place.”

“Why would I marry you? I hate you!!!”

“..........are you sure you hate me, Park Sooyoung? Because I don’t hate you. I haven’t for a long time.”

“You’re a horrible liar!”

“I’m not lying, you stubborn woman. I love you. I have a long time.”

Sooyoung laughed at this.

“Sure. Sure, you love me. Between all those efforts to defeat me ever since high school, you fall for me. Yeah, right. Uh huh.”

But he just stood there, looking at her, and a chill ran down her spine.

“What the hell, Yook Sungjae? What the hell are you talking about?”

“Remember that night at the night club? The first time we slept together?”

Something close to horror was consuming her.

“It wasn’t a coincidence.”

She stared at him as if he spoke a language that she couldn’t understand.

“What do you mean?”

“I knew you’re going to hold a party there. I was there. You just didn’t know it. I followed you to that balcony.”

“No.”

“Yes, Sooyoung. I really did that.”

“No, you didn’t.”

“I did. Can’t you see? Nothing is coincidental in this life. Everything has a reason to happen. Can’t you see? I want us to happen.”

“No. You wouldn’t.”

“I heard what your ex did. I jumped at the chance.”

“Why the hell would you???”

“Because I’ve wanted you for a long time, Sooyoung-ah. Maybe since highschool.”

“No. You hate me.”

“That’s the problem. I don’t. I never did.”

“Why???”

“Because you’re me. Seeing you is like seeing a mirror.”

It was her turn to be speechless.

“Everytime you defeated me, I actually didn’t mind. The whole world can’t defeat me, Sooyoung-ah. But I don’t mind when it’s you. And everytime I defeated you, I wanted to comfort you. It wasn’t supposed to be like that, but I couldn’t stop the feeling.”

“This is not real.”

“This is real. Look at me” he asked, holding her by the shoulders. “Look at me. Can’t you see yourself in me?”

She did. And that terrified her even more.

“I know that look. That’s our poker face. We put that on when we don’t want our enemies to know what we feel. See? I know you like the back of my hand, because you are me, Sooyoung. And I am you.”

She dropped a tear, but her lips kept denying him.

“I don’t understand what you’re talking about."

“Oh yes, you do. You obviously do. We went through the same struggles, carry the same burdens. Wanting the same things. You’re mine and I’m yours, even before I know it, and definitely before you accept it.”

“What do you want from me, Yook Sungjae? What the hell do you want from me?”

“I want a partner for a lifetime. Someone who understands everything I say. And I want to be that one man you can depend on. I’ll support you. As I want you to support me as well. I want to tell you when I’m tired, or worried, or pessimistic, without ever fearing that I wouldn’t be understood.”

Tears dropped freely from her eyes.

“Take that one year gap and explore all the museums you want around the world. I’ll manage your company as you take the break.”

“See, you just want my company!”

Sungjae sighed, “Make the prenup contract you want. I’ll sign anything, as long as you’ll marry me.”

That latest statement succeeded in making her muted again.

“Take that history degree. Do whatever you want. I’ll take care of your company for you. You can manage it back anytime you want.”

She blinked.

Her vision blurred due to her own tears, and his hands were on her waist.

“So? You’ll marry me, right?”

“I’ll be the one who draft the prenup contract.”

“I've no problem with that. Be my guess. But we need to sit down and talk about what we really want from a marriage.”

“No tricks, Yook Sungjae?”

“No tricks, Park Sooyoung.”

“You won’t hurt my company, or my parents’ bank, or my whole family?”

“Never. Unless they hurt you first.”

“........would I lose myself if I marry you?”

“Of course not. You’ll still be you. The almighty Park Sooyoung. You’ll just have me, forever. Someone who will always back you up, no matter what. If you ever mess up, I’ll fix it. When you’re hurt, I’ll be there to hold you. When things get hard, I’ll be there to help you get through whatever it is. I want you to do the same for me.”

“How can this happen? This is out of my logic.”

“This happens because I want it to happen. I don’t want to let some other bastards have you. And I’ll definitely rather marry you than let you marry someone who knocked up another woman.”

She cried some more, grabbing at his suit.

“So? Is this a yes or not? I swear you’re the hardest negotiation I’ve ever made.”

“On my terms, Yook Sungjae?”

“On your terms, Park Sooyoung.”

“Fine.”

“Fine what?”

“Fine, I’ll marry you.”

“You said it already. You can’t take it back” he warned.

“I never back down from anything.”

“Awesome. That’s the CEO Park I like.”

“And while we’re on this,”

“Yes?”

“Can Ayodya resort be mine?”

He laughed at that, stealing a kiss from her, “Oh, God. Park Sooyoung, you!”

“Take it or leave it, Yook Sungjae.”

“Sure. I’ll change Ayodya to your name as soon as I can talk to my lawyer. That’s my proposal gift to you. As long as you give me one thing.”

“And what would that be?”

“Call me “Oppa”, Sooyoung-ah.”

She cringed at that.

“We really need to talk completely about what we expect from a marriage. We need to sit down and really talk.”

“I agree. Can the talk be on a bed? With no clothes on?”

She elbowed him, but he only laughed at that, and held her in one angle, kissing her hard.

Meanwhile, the whole Park family was looking at the two behind the glass doors.

“When did this all happen?” Mrs. Park wondered.

“I have no idea. Have they always been close?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Regardless, he’s right. It wouldn’t be a loss to tie our families together.”

Mrs. Park nodded at that, as they all walked away when the two began kissing again.

After the kiss, Sooyoung decided she should lie down her barricades and willingly let Yook Sungjae completely entered her world.

“How long do you think the preparation for our marriage would take?”

“Six months?”

“Too long” he argued.

“Three?”

“Fair enough. We have to live together since today, though.”

“Why is that?”

“I just want no more goodbyes.”

“You ask for too much, Yook Sungjae.”

“You can take whatever you want, Park Sooyoung” he promised, biting her ear, “I’m yours.”

She shivered, and he chuckled.

One thing she knew for sure, she’d never be bored with this guy.

With that realization fixed in her mind, she let Sungjae led her to the front porch, where his car was parked.

****************************************************

Author’s note:

Hope you’ll like this update.

I just bought a new phone today, after 4 years.

And I’m completely awed by Avengers: End Game. Have watched it twice.

I do love CEOs Sungjoy, but this is a mini-series, and I’m done writing them for now.

I might write more epilogues about them, or the rated chapter of their first time, but not now.

Thank you so much for reading.

See you around!

PS:  I just had my annual observation. The headmaster observed my class from the beginning to the end. I did my best but was so damn nervous omg sobs. He's so scary. Please wish me luck!

PPS: Happy birthday Yook Sungjae! I love you for your talent and handsome looks, but most of all, I love you for being the half of Sungjoy.