Episode 3

The Girl He Did Not Know He Needed

They rode the elevator in relative silence until Joong Ki asked, “Amber, is this your first acting job?”

 

“Uhm, no. I was in the drama Entourage before. It was just a small role and frankly I do not think I did a good job at it. I was just not actress material, and to be honest I really thought that that was going to be my last acting job. So imagine my surprise when my agency told me that I was going to have another acting job, and the lead actress at that. Lead actress! Amber wrote at the sketch pad frantically, she got so carried away that there were spelling mistakes when she wrote it, Amber thankfully spotted it before she could show it. Although unfortunately the page where she wrote was now a mess. Argh!

 

Joong Ki just chuckled and said, “Maybe Min Hee writer-nim saw something in you that’s why she casted you?”

 

Amber made a self deprecating laugh and wrote, “I wonder. I haven’t even met Writer-nim before, and if my manager hadn’t told me the projects that she was in I wouldn’t even know how big she was in the industry.”

 

Joong Ki hummed in agreement and said, “No one in our industry will fault you for that, we’re in a totally different industry after all. Even if we’re both in the entertainment business there are vast differences in how they run and all. After all, if you told me a name of a famous composer or producer right now I wouldn’t know who they were unless I know them personally. So it’s not really a surprise that you’re not familiar with Min Hee Writer-nim’s works.” He then turned to Amber and winked.

 

Amber just looked at him and just nodded in agreement, at lost to what to say when Song Joong Ki just winked at her. Winked!

 

Amber was thanking the heavens that she was not the type to blush that easily. Although the tips of her ears are a different matter… thankfully the weather is still quite cold so if all else fails she could just say it was the cold weather.

 

Ding!

 

That was when the elevator announced that they had arrived at their destination – first level basement parking.

 

Tae Jun guided them to the black van that was parked just a little ways off the entrance. Joong Ki then opened the door for Amber after his manager opened the van, he waited for her to get seated and be comfortable before he closed the van's door before he ran to the other side of the van and entered himself.

 

They buckled themselves and they just got out of the parking area when Amber’s phone suddenly came to life.

 

Neorul mannan geu ihuro
Sasohan byeonhwadeure haengbokhaejyeo
Nuni bushige bit naneun achim
Neorul tteoolimyeo nun tteuneun

 

Amber just fidgeted with her phone and looked like she was contemplating if she was going to answer the call. Joong Ki glanced at her and decided to help.

 

“Amber, how about I answer that call?”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

He nodded and accepted the phone Amber gave him. And saw that it was a guy named Hyun Joon.

 

“Yeoboseyo? Who's this?” he then put the phone to loud speaker mode so that Amber could hear the conversation even though she won’t be able to audibly respond.

 

Joong Ki listened to the person on the other side of the phone call and got to know that it was her manager calling her. “Yeoboseyo? This is Amber's phone right? I am her manager, Hyung Joon.”

 

“Annyeonghaseyo Hyung Joon-ssi, Yes, it is Amber’s phone but unfortunately she cannot answer right now because the doctor told her not to strain her voice.”

 

“The doctor?! Why? What happened? Is she okay?” he asked worriedly.

 

“Amber is not hurt or anything, it’s just her voice that she needs to take care and be careful of. It’s just there had been an incident… two of them if you want to be specific – it happened when I unintentionally surprised her.” He trailed off sheepishly.

 

There was an audible relief on Hyun Joon's voice when he answered, “Oh, it that so?” but he suddenly remembered that he didn’t even know who he was talking to, so he asked “But I don’t think I’ve caught your name yet, Mr?”

 

“Sorry about that. I’m the actor Song Joong Ki, nice to meet you.”

 

They heard an audible gasp before the person on the other line stuttered out, “Li-likewise Song Joong Ki-ssi, it’s nice to meet you.”

 

Amber chuckled, which he smiled at.

 

“Also, me and my manager are going to drop Amber at her agency.” At that he glanced at her and found out that she wrote something.

 

“Tell Hyun Joon-oppa that I need to talk to Young Mi-unnie about the project.”

 

Joong Ki told the message that Amber wanted to pass.

 

“Young Mi?” he asked confused, not sure as to who she was talking about until it registered in his mind as to whom she was pertaining to, “Oh. Yeah, I’ll contact the department and tell them that you need to talk to her…” he trailed off not sure as to when she wanted to do that.

 

Knowing what he was confused of, Joong Ki glanced at Amber and true enough she wrote something.

 

“I want to talk to her when I arrive at the agency, tell her it’s urgent.”

 

Joong Ki passed the message as it was.

 

“Today?” he asked incredulous. “What time are you even arriving?”

 

“Hyung, what time are we going to arrive?” he asked his own manager. Who replied: “In five to ten minutes, because there’s a bit of traffic.”

 

So, he informed Amber’s manager “We’ll arrive in five to ten minutes, there’s been a bit of build up that’s why were taking a little bit longer than usual.”

 

As he was already watching Amber, Joong Ki didn’t even need to look at her to know that she was already writing her reply to the question. When she was done, she showed it to him.

 

“Yes, today. Tell her it’s an emergency. She knows about this project, tell her I need to discuss it with her.”

 

Again, Joong Ki passed the message.

 

“Arrasseo, but who’s going to sit and attend with you at the meeting? I’m still at Sunyoung’s practice and I think this will go until night time. And the other managers are also not available.” He asked worriedly.

 

“Don’t worry because I’ll ask Jin Myung-oppa to sit with us in the meeting.”

 

Joong Ki passed the message without comment.

 

“Okay, I’ll call the department and tell them. I’ll see you tomorrow. I guess Jin Myung-sunbaenim will be the one to brief me of the meeting. Again, thank you for dropping Amber off Joong Ki-ssi. Good bye.”

 

Joong Ki just nodded and said, “It’s not a big deal, bye.” He then disconnected the phone and gave it back to her.

 

Silence reigned for a few seconds before he remembered something; He didn’t know Amber’s number, so he immediately went to work on solving that problem.

 

“Amber?”

 

She looked at him with question in her eyes.

 

“I don’t have your number, can I have it so that I know how to contact you?”

 

Amber just nodded and wordlessly opened her phone before giving it to Joong Ki so that he would enter his own number in it.

 

Done with entering his number, he asked Amber for permission, “Amber, can I call my cell so that I know your number?”

 

Amber just smiled and nodded.

 

Joong Ki did as he said, and let it ring once before cutting off the call. He then gave back the phone to it’s owner.

 

As if on cue, Tae Jun informed them that they are already arrived at their destination.

 

“Tae Jun-ssi, you can go to the basement parking. Tell them you’re going to drop me off. Just open the window so that the guard can see me.”

 

Knowing that his manager won’t be able to read what Amber wrote, Joong Ki passed the message.

 

Tae Jun just nodded and turned to enter the basement parking. He opened his window, and sure enough the guard asked them what their business were.

 

“Anyeonghaseyo, sorry but I don’t recognize your plate number. Can I ask you what is your business here?”

 

Tae Jun greeted back “Anyeonghaseyo, me and my charge are just going to drop Amber-ssi.” Knowing she needed to do, she moved forward so that the guard will see her and showed what she wrote.

 

“Good morning! Sorry, I can’t talk right now so you just have to make due with this. They’re just going to drop me off so can you please let us pass?”

 

“Oh, Amber! Good morning! Okay, I’ll let you pass. But please just drop her off and don’t stay too long. I’ll get in trouble if you do, because you don’t have the pass and is not on our list of vehicles that can enter.” With that he opened the barrier and waved them in.

 

Tae Jun nodded as thanks. While Amber showed her sketch pad “Thank you!”

 

The guard just smiled and nodded.

 

They were going down the ramp to enter the basement parking when Joong Ki commented:

 

“The security is tight isn’t it?”

 

“Oh, that’s because there were quite a lot of sasaengs that would enter the building and the parking area before so they tightened the security.”

 

The van slowed into a stop a little ways off of the entrance. Amber hurriedly picked up her bag and shouldered it.

 

“See you soon, Amber. I’ll contact you later.”

 

“Yes, oppa. Thank you again for dropping me off. See you soon.” Amber smiled and waved goodbye just in time to Tae Jun opening her side of the door.

 

Amber got out of the van and bowed in thanks to both Joon Ki and his manager before once more waving goodbye to him and then his manager.

 

Tae Jun closed the van door and went to go back to the driver’s seat whilst Joong Ki continued to watch Amber walk to the entrance until he couldn’t see her anymore.

 

Tae Jun wordlessly started the van and exited the basement parking but not before nodding his thanks to the guard that let them in.

 



Amber entered the building both relieved and still nervous. Riding the car with Joong Ki is both nerve wracking and comfortable. On one hand she really does have a big crush on the actor but on the other hand while he did have that aura of an A-List actor at the same time he had a humble and kind vibe to him that made Amber’s emotions fluctuate from nervous to calm. It was frankly weird.

 

Her phone pinged so she looked at it and saw that Hyun Joon messaged her to inform her that he already arranged a meeting with the people she wanted to talk to and told them about her current situation (which is she couldn’t use her voice for the time being). He also informed her that they were already waiting for her at Young Mi’s office. She replied with an ‘Okay’ before she hurried to the elevators so that she could go to the third floor where Young Mi’s office was located.

 


 

Two weeks later...


Amber was both nervous and excited when she arrived at the location. It was a tiring and exhausting two weeks. She didn’t even know that she could get that many things done in that short amount of time.

 

In accordance to what Amber, Young Mi and Jin Myung had talked about weeks ago… where Amber wanted acting lessons as to not embarrass herself in front of the experienced actors when the filming starts. They got the agency to agree to get her a teacher for that particular dilemma. Although a bit unexpected, she started her acting lessons just a day after they talked about it.

 

While she did not know if those two weeks were going to be enough for her to be at least be able to follow through the lead of her co-actors and not just stand there star struck and in awe of their acting prowess… it made her feel less guilty than when she first accepted the job. After all it would make her feel better she did something to make up for her shortcomings in that area than not do anything but just wing it. After all, it’s a well known fact that you don’t go to war empty handed.


Her acting instructor was brutal, it was well known that she – Park Sun Min – was strict teacher. Because even her, who was not an actress, knew because she heard from her friends that were her students. But nobody told her that she was not just strict, she was Spartan. Adding to that, she couldn’t speak so she just had to act all of her scenarios and instructions that Sun Min-seonsaengnim gives her with just using her facial expressions and body language. Those lessons were gruelingly tough.

 

Also, she did not know whether she should thank Young Mi-unnie for being thorough or curse her. As if her acting instructor was not enough, she also had to take classes from a former model – Lee Mi Ryeong – that taught her about the right posture, different walks and mannerisms that she said will help her in the long run. But whether it was true or not remains to be seen.

 

True to their words, both her instructors had to sign NDA’s before they were allowed to teach her. As if proof of their reputation, the Writer and the Director only needed to hear their names before they gave the go signal, the next thing she knew she was already having one on one lessons with them. Acting class in the morning and Modeling class in the afternoon, everyday. I repeat, everyday. Yes, even on Sundays.

 

In those two weeks, her best friends were pain reliever patches and a lot of vitamins that her doctor prescribed her when she told him about her hectic schedule. She only went home to sleep, it was almost as if she lived in the practice studio with how much time she spent there. It was even more tiring and hectic than when f(x) has a comeback.

 

She could only sigh at the memory. And she knew even if she wished not to do it anymore she couldn’t, because she can’t be at ease with the progress (she thinks she’s had some, even just a little bit) she’s made because she herself knows that your don’t learn a craft in mere two weeks.

 

Another sigh. She slapped her cheeks lightly to perk and wake herself up more. It’s not the time to think about that here, there was a photoshoot that she needs to do.

Amber entered the location where they were going to have their photoshoot. She greeted the people that she saw on her way. With her manager who was in front of her, they approached the photographer and greeted him and then introduced themselves. He greeted back and told them they were a bit early and that there’s still a lot left to do before they could start. That and the fact that her turn was a bit more later if they follow the schedule. He also told them that Kim Min Hee, the writer, was here and was waiting for her at the dressing room. Perplexed, Amber still nodded and thanked the photographer before going to the direction he pointed at, which she supposed will lead to the dressing rooms.

 



Joong Ki and his manager arrived at the photoshoot location a bit more early than was scheduled. Which suited him just fine because he’d rather be early than late. They greeted the staff members that they met along the way and was wondering if his co-stars had already arrived when he saw the photographer.

 

“Good morning, Jin Young-ssi.” Joong Ki greeted him.

 

“Joong Ki, Good morning! You’re early as usual. Your turn is not until later… I never thought I’d see another one who goes to their schedules as early as you but I was wrong.” Lee Jin Young – the photograper – said with a chuckle.

 

Joong Ki tilted his head confused, “What do you mean?"

 

"Your co-star, Amber, she’s been here since this 7 am I think?

 

“Really? Our call time is 9 am right hyung?” he asked his manager.

 

“Yes, and it’s just quarter to 8 right now. According to Min Hee-writernim even that is a bit early because your photoshoot is actually on 11 am or so. The only reason why they asked us to go early is because you’re going to have your own script reading.” Tae Joon informed his charge.

 

Jin Young chuckled, “She’s really something too, it’s a bit refreshing to see an actress, let alone a girl in our industry to come to work completely bare faced.” He laughed when he noticed Joong Ki, “look at you, even you’re not completely bare faced. I would notice, I’ve been a photographer for so long.”

 

He let out an awkward laugh but said nothing.

 

“Anyways she’s in the dressing room named after her, Min Hee-writernim is also in there.”

 

Joong Ki nodded before he bowed and went to the directions of the dressing rooms.

 

He arrived at the cluster of dressing rooms and saw the first one was Amber’s and the next one was his. So he knocked:

 

“Amber? Are you inside? Can I come in?”

 

There was a muffled voice saying, “Yes oppa, the door's not locked."

 

Joong Ki opened the door and true to what the photographer said, Min Hee-writernim was there with someone who someone Joong Ki figures to be either the stylist or the make up artist.

 

“Good morning.” Joon Ki greeted with a bow.

 

The people in the room stood up and reciprocated the greeting with a bow. And Min Hee introduced the woman beside her as the stylist, Park Eun Ji. Doing the same, Joong Ki and his manager introduced themselves too.

 

“Joong Ki-ssi, you come as early as I heard from the rumors,” Min Hee commented with a laugh “sit down, sit down.” She said after noticing Joong Ki and his manager stayed standing by the door.

 

“Thank you.” He said before going inside the room and going to the corner where the table and chairs are located. Seeing as there were only four chairs available and the other three were already occupied, leaving only one vacated which was beside Amber’s. Joong Ki sat on the only available chair and his manager chose to stand near them, his back leaning against the wall.

 

“Amber, you’re early. Where’s your manager? Is he with another member of yours again?”

 

“No, no. He came with me, he’s just getting us breakfast. The breakfast here are limited for the staff after all. It’s because I came too early, that’s why we’re not yet included.”

 

“You haven’t had breakfast yet?” he asked worriedly.

 

“Not yet. I can’t eat too early, I’m not used to it. How about you oppa?”

 

“Oh, yeah I already ate.”

 

“Do you want coffee? My manager should still be at the coffee shop. He just left.”

 

“If it’s not too much trouble. Hyung do you want some?” Tae Jun who was listening just nodded.

 

“Then two Iced Americano’s please.”

 

Amber smiled and then took her phone from the top of the table to contact her manager.

 

“Hello, oppa? Yes, are you still at the coffee shop?” she listened for a while before she answered, “There’s nothing wrong, can you add two more cups of Iced Americano in the order? Thanks oppa. Bye”

 

Joong Ki waited for Amber to her to put back her phone at the table before he asked the one thing that he’s been curious of since he yesterday, “By the way I forgot to ask you yesterday, what did the doctor say? You said you were going to one yesterday right?”

 

“Oh, he said it was back to normal already, he just told me to take care of it and not to strain it much.”

 

“That’s good. And how was your classes?” He smiled.

 

Amber sighed, “Still merciless.” she said simply.

 

Joon Ki chuckled, “She still haven’t changed, I guess.”

 

“Uhm, do you guys know each other?” Eun Ji asked, not able to take it anymore. Amber and Joong Ki practically ignored the other people in the room the moment they sat with each other and made a conversation that the only two of them are privy to.

 

It was almost comical how Amber and Joong Ki turned to her direction at the same time.

 

“No, not really. We first met at the script reading two weeks ago.” Joong Ki answered and Amber just nodded in agreement.

 

“Oh.” She said speechless. Then looked at Min Hee who has her left elbow at the table with her palm supporting her chin watching the two talking with something like glee in her eyes.

 

They have been friends for a while, that was why Eun Ji knew that she should leave Min Hee be when she was like this. This happens when she saw something interesting or whenever she is planning her script and drama. It was rare that it was both at the same time but in this case Eun Ji can safely say that it was both this time.

 

She sighed, and decided to leave her friend with whatever she was doing. It'll be the best that she goes back to her work. “Excuse me, it was nice meeting you but I need to prepare the outfits that the cast are going to use for the photoshoot.”

 

The people at the table turned to her direction (except for Min Hee who continued to watch the two like a hawk) and stood up before they bowed. Eun Ji nodded and left the room with a wave of her hand.

 


 

Author's note:

 

In the midst of the crisis right now, I wish my story will offer you guys some sort of comfort or a way to pass time. Here in my country, Philippines, lock downs are being enforced and it will still be a big question mark whether it will work or not...

 

Please stay safe everyone. Don't go out unless it's absolutely necessary, always wash your hands and always carry alcohol. Use face masks. If you feel sick - cough, colds, fever and or is vomiting please go to the hospital and get checked.

 

Praying is one of the things we can do, it doesn't take much... just a few minutes is fine. 

 

Anyways, thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it. Please review. I'l probably upload the next one next week.