February 13th, 2012

Love Is In The Air: A Valentine's Day Special

Taemin is the one who kindly informs Soojung that she's gawking. Again.

"It's not my fault that he's so, so handsome," she sighs dreamily as she shifts her gaze back to the tall, lanky guy with the toothy smile and perfect hair across the hallway.

Taemin scoffs. "I don't know what so special about Choi Minho. He's not even that cute! And look at those frog eyes!"

"Whatever, Taemin," she completely ignores him and he just kinds of wants to puke. When he's just about to discard his empty soda can, Soojung grabs on his sleeves. "But! Tomorrow's Valentine's Day, and guess who am I going to ask to be my Valentine?"

"Uh.. Minho?" he makes an attempt to make it sound sarcastic – as if I needed to think about it first. Psh.

"Yes!"

"Okay.. sure, but, doesn't he get like, a plethora of gifts and letters every year?"

"Then, I'm going to give him the most special and unique one!" Soojung claps her hand in delight, excited about her plan. "And you have to help me, okay?"

"Why should I?" he tosses the can into a nearby trash bin they happen to be passing by, draws his hands inside his pockets and walks ahead from her. "It's your Valentine, not mine, and besides, it's not much of a big deal for me anyway."

Soojung catches up to Taemin and grabs him by the collar, pulling his face closer to hers as she smiled her signature aegyo smile. "Please, Taem? Pretty pleeeease with cherry on top?"

He rolls his eyes, but sighs in defeat anyway. You can never say no to Jung Soojung.

"Fine."

Soojung squeals and drags Taemin by the arm towards their homeroom class, jabbering about what's on her mind for the special gift she'll give to her crush along the way.

And from behind her locker, Jinri sees it all.

The pencil she's holding snaps in half.


Myungsoo screams the last note of the song along with the hit of the drums, and the song ends. Infinite's practice is finished for the day and he probably has to go now, since a certain somebody has been waiting for him outside the school's practice room.

"Great job," Woohyun pats his shoulder and smiles at him. He returns the gesture. "Just be ready for tomorrow, okay?"

"Ah, don't worry."

Tomorrow, on February 14, Woosang High School, will be holding a concert with a Valentine's Day theme, titled Love Is In The Air. It's nothing much, Myungsoo thinks, just musical performances playing lovey-dovey songs, and the rest of the school area will be transformed into strips of booths of games and street vendors.

He usually doesn't care, but, this year Valentine's Day could be different.

"Hyung, I think you should go now, Suji noona is waiting!" Sungjong shouts from behind the keyboard, and the other band members whoops at his statement.

Myungsoo just smirks. "Okay. I'll see you guys tomorrow for practice," he says as he picks up his guitar case and his backpack, and rushes out of the room.

"Oh, Myungsoo!"

He smiles upon the sight of the cute girl with a lollipop in , standing in front of him. "Suji-ah," he says. "Did you wait long?"

"I don't mind, I like hearing you sing," smiles Suji.

"Come inside the practice room next time, then."

"Maybe I will."

They walk together towards the school gate, and she talks about her day and friend dramas, and he just nods, gesturing that he is listening. To her surprise, Myungsoo suddenly takes her hand into his. She stops talking, and looks at him, puzzled.

"What?" he asks innocently.

A smile spreads on Suji's face as she tightens her hold. "Nothing."


Cheolyong sits next to Jinah under the tree in front of her house, reading his manga while she texts her boyfriend. It's only until she harshly flips the device close that he realizes something is odd.

"Hey, you okay?"

"No, I'm not," Jinah replies, frowning. "I'm having a fight with Seungho right now."

He knows to not ask why, because in less than three seconds, she will start explaining to him herself.

One.. two..

"I don't know what's with him, really. He spends more time in band club than with me right now. Lizzy said to me that he's pretty close with a girl named Soyeon, one of the club members. Do you know her, Cheolyong?"

"I think I've hea–"

"So, anyway! I asked him about it but he got mad at me because he thinks I'm too possessive! Excuse me, but I'm his girlfriend. I'm just worried about him. I'm not possessive, right? Am I?"

Cheolyong shakes his head. He thinks his best friend is much too chic to be possessive over a guy, anyway. "Maybe he's just tired, or has something going on in his head, Jinah," he says, putting a hand on her shoulder. "And maybe that Soyeon girl is just a friend to talk to."

"But he has me! He can talk to me about anything!"

"Guys aren't girls. We don't want to show our weakness in front of a girl we really like, because we don't want to her to worry about us."

Jinah falls silent. "Oh, so he just don't want me to worry about him?" her thoughts fly to her boyfriend. "Wow. I kind of feel guilty, you know, for being angry with him and all. Should I apologize?"

"Well, tomorrow's Valentine's Day, maybe you can make some chocolates or write a card, or something," Cheolyong suggests, before going back to his manga, only to be interrupted by a painful hit on the shoulder from his friend. "Ow! What was that for?!"

"Bang Cheolyong, you are a genius!"


Jinki lifts his head up from the flowers with an autopilot smile, when he hears the bell of the shop door ring, signaling that new customers just came in.

"Hello, welcome to Iris Flowers and Gift Shop, how may I–oh," he stops when he sees the three high school students stumbling inside. "It's you guys. Here to help out?"

Soojung shakes her head. "Of course not, we're here to buy gifts, duh," she says.

"We could use some help you know, tomorrow's Valentine's Day.."

"Well, then, Jinki oppa, fighting!" and after she says that, she skips her way towards the bouquet section.

Jinki sighs, then looks over at the rest of the teenagers. "So, what are you guys doing here?"

"I was dragged here," Taemin replies with no interest.

"And I'm here to see Yoona," says Kai as he looks around the shop. "Is she here?"

"Jongin-ah, hey!" 

Before Jinki could answer, the said girl shows up from the door to the bakery – another shop that Jinki owns – carrying two box of tarts, and another girl following behind her.

"Yoong! And Sooyeon noona, hi," Kai waves to the both of them.

"Hey, Kai. Is my sister here?" asks Sooyeon.

"Yeah, she's by the, uh–" he looks around looking for his friend. "gifts section."

"Oh, she's finally going to make a move on that Minho guy?" asks Jinki as he takes the tart boxes from Yoona and Sooyeon and hands one of them to a costumer that has been waiting in front of the counter – "thank you, happy early valentine's!" – before putting the money inside the cash register. Every time they meet, Soojung always has something to tell about her crush. "What's she up to?"

Taemin scratches his head, annoyed for no apparent reason. "I don't know, something about getting him some special gift crap and stuffs.."

"I think somebody's jea~lous," Yoona sing-songs as she pokes Taemin's upper arm and laughs.

"I don't see any point why I should."

"Dude, you're totally into her," Kai agrees. "No need to hide it or anything, you're kind of obvious, honestly."

Taemin rolls his eyes.

Sooyeon laughs. "Go for it, Taemin," she winks at him. "Although, I've seen that Minho guy once or twice, and I have to admit he's really handsome.."

"I know right, I have too and he's totally hot!" Yoona squeals along with her.

"Hey!" Kai nudges his older girlfriend, and she giggles.

"Don't worry, you're still the hottest."

While Taemin is off helping Soojung with choosing a nice gift for her crush, and Kai and Yoona have just left for the bakery acting all lovey-dovey, Sooyeon picks up a big bouquet of white, red and pink roses from the counter that she realizes has been there for quite a while and nobody claimed it.

"Hey, Jinki, whose flowers are these?"

"What flo–oh! That's mine!" Jinki is about to snatch the flowers from Sooyeon when he accidentally trips on his own foot and tumbles forward, landing on the floor. "..Ouch."

"It's yours? Are you planning on giving them to a special person?"

"No! No – I was just thinking on, uh, taking it home as a reminder of Valentine's Day.. yeah, yeah like that.."

Sooyeon laughs and Jinki realizes how stupid his reason must've sounded. She holds out a hand to help him up, and he takes it. Once he's on his feet, Sooyeon hands him the flowers with a sweet smile, and turns away to help a customer.

Later, the shout of the young lady in front of the counter is the one that snaps him out of his beautiful trance.


Taeyeon stares proudly at the four perfect, yummy-looking pieces of chocolate that she's been making for the past three hours. Actually, she had made almost twenty pieces, but only the three result to her liking. She's just about to melt another chocolate bar when the phone rings.

She races to the living room while wiping off her chocolate-covered fingers on her apron, and picks up the phone.

"Hello, this is Taeyeon."

"Taeng! It's me, Yoona."

"Hey! What's up?"

"Nothing much. I was just wondering, are you busy tomorrow night?"

"Tomorrow's Valentine, right? I don't think so, why?"

"Kai's school is holding this concert with a Valentine's Day theme, with music performances and games and foods and all. Me, and Kai, and Taemin and Soojung is going, But Sooyeon wants to help Jinki at the shop so, god, I feel old between those high school kids! Can you please, please come?"

Taeyeon giggles. "Sure, I can. But I have something to do before that, so.. I'll meet you at Woosang, when?"

"Six pm?"

"Deal."

"Okay, thank you, Taeng! I love you!" and Yoona hangs up.

Taeyeon chuckles to herself. It's been a while since she visited her old high school, where lots of memories were made, the good and the bad.

Her gaze shifts to the framed photograph on the table across the room. A sad smile spreads upon her face.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Jungsu," she whispers, and skips away to the kitchen.


Jinri closes her Math book and turns off her desk lamp. She's just finished her homework and is about to leave her desk, when her brother, Heechul comes into the room after two quick knocks on the door.

"Hey, you're not making chocolates?" he asks, standing by the door frame. "Normal girls throughout the world are probably making big boxes of them right now."

"I don't have anyone to give," she takes off her red-rimmed glasses. "And besides, I don't understand why we celebrate Valentine's  Day, the history doesn't even make sense."

Heechul scoffs. "God, you're such a stiff little brat. If you don't have anyone to give, you can always give your beloved oppa a gift, can't you?" he says. "Oh, and what about that Taemin guy?"

Jinri's heart skips a beat at the very mention of his name, but she makes an attempt to seem indifferent. "What about him?"

"Didn't you like, stalked him, since eleventh grade?"

"I do not stalk him, okay? I'm just curious about him as to we're not close anymore."

"Have you ever even been close with him?"

"I have. In a way or another that only and him understand."

Heechul shakes his head in amusement. "Okay, whatever you say, sis," he closes the door, and a murmur of 'good night' is heard from the other side.

Jinri sighs, but then turns on her desk lamp again. She grabs a big, red book from her bookshelf. It's her kindergarten graduation booklet, and she flips open the pages one by one. She stops at a page titled 'trip to Little Farmer', where there is a photo of a strawberry-blonde boy holding a sunflower with a bunny in his lap. He's not smiling, but his eyes lets out a feeling of content. They are big and deep and brown and innocent – and it hasn't changed at all, she can still see it every time she looks into his eyes.

Oh, how she hates his eyes.

Jinri leaves the book open and turns her desk lamp back off, before lying awake in her bed for the next three hours to midnight, a thousand thoughts filling her head, all of them about what should she do.

Tomorrow's Valentine's Day.


© hellopsr stories, 2012

 

...this is honestly a total fail, OMG.

But don't worry! It's only the day before February 14th, and it's only the beginning. And here, I've revealed some(?) of the pairings: TaeStal, MinStal, TaeLli, MyungZy, MirNa, SeungNa, OnSica, YoonKai, TaeTeuk. And they have different relationships. Confusing? Hahaaaa.

Wait for the second chapter of Love Is In The Air: A Valentine's Day Special, on February 14, 2012.