Chapter XX

The Old and The New

Chaeyoung was fidgeting nervously in her wheelchair while Jennie sat facing her on the bench. They didn't speak only when Jennie said she needed an explanation. So Jennie pushed the wheelchair out with Chaeyoung on it to the nearest garden just outside the hospital. Chaeyoung was feeling uneasy while Jennie just stared blankly at her.

 

There were a million questions running through the back of Jennie's mind.

 

What is she doing here?

 

Why is she on the wheelchair?

 

Is she sick?

 

How come I'm not aware of it?

 

Jennie wanted to ask but she couldn't find her voice to do so. Chaeyoung on the other hand didn't want Jennie to see her like this. She had tried so hard to avoid Jennie finding out but eventually when the truth wanted to be untold; it would just come without any warning.

 

Chaeyoung didn't even dare to look up; she couldn't even have the cheek to look into Jennie's eyes. She felt like she didn't deserve this. She straightened her back when Jennie touched her arm gently.

 

"Chaeyoung, can you explain this?"

 

Jennie's voice was almost alluring. Chaeyoung closed her eyes briefly before looking up slowly. Jennie was still staring at her.

 

"Jennie, I'm sorry."

 

"No, I don't need your apologies. I need to know what happened to you. Why are you here? And why are you on the wheelchair? I need answers, Chaeyoung."

 

"Jennie, I didn't mean to hide myself like this from you."

 

"Then why are you here, Chaeyoung?"

 

Jennie's hands were on Chaeyoung's arms; she shook them vigorously as tears trickled down her cheeks. Chaeyoung's heart was aching very badly as she wiped those tears away.

 

"Jennie, this is going to take some time."

 

"Fill me in. I have all the time for you."

 

Chaeyoung bit her lower lip.

 

-

 

"Jisoo!"

 

Lisa was running after Jisoo as she ran across the hallway. Jisoo didn't expect this. She was moving on into a greener pasture but Lisa had to destroy it.

 

"Jisoo! Wait up!"

 

"Leave me alone!"

 

"Jisoo, listen to me! Wait!"

 

Lisa was always the faster runner and she managed to catch up quickly. Jisoo was pushing her arms away but Lisa managed to hug her tightly.

 

"Get away!"

 

"I'll let go if you stop resisting me."

 

"Fine!"

 

Jisoo stopped trashing around and Lisa slowly let her go. Jisoo refused to look into Lisa's eyes but she missed Lisa's gentle touches.

 

"Jisoo.."

 

"What are you doing here? Why are you here?"

 

"I work here, remember?"

 

Jisoo cursed under her breath. She was slowly forgetting about Lisa that she had forgotten that Lisa is a therapist.

 

"I didn't know Old Lady Park knows you."

 

"She's my client."

 

Jisoo didn't turn around; she just focused on the floor. Lisa knew Jisoo hates her a lot. She could sense from Jisoo's reactions.

 

"Jisoo, I'm sorry."

 

"Why do you need to apologize to me for?"

 

"I know I broke your heart."

 

"Don't apologize when you don't have the least intention to love me in the first place."

 

"No, that's not true. I love you sincerely."

 

"Don't lie, Lisa! In your heart, there's only Chaeyoung!"

 

"Jisoo.."

 

"Don't say anymore. I've let you go for good."

 

Lisa smiled. It hurt to hear that from Jisoo but she knew it was for their good.

 

"I'm glad that you've moved on."

 

"I didn't. I just forget about you like as though you don't exist in my life at all."

 

Lisa closed her eyes. Tears were b in her eyes. She didn't realize how much it hurt so badly to hear those words from Jisoo. But she didn't have the right to say anything.

 

"You can do anything you want, Jisoo just as long as you're happy."

 

"You think I can do that?"

 

Lisa looked up. Jisoo finally looked at her.

 

"You think it's easy for me to forget you, Lisa Manoban?"

 

"If it hurts so badly, just forget me, Jisoo."

 

"I loved you sincerely!"

 

Lisa looked away. She couldn't let Jisoo witness her fallen tears but Jisoo turned her abruptly. She then pulled out Lisa's arms and crashed her body into Lisa's. The younger lady hugged Lisa tightly and Lisa's reflexes were automatic as well. She wrapped her arms around Jisoo protectively. Both ladies cried their hearts out. And Lisa really missed holding Jisoo like that.

 

The two ladies hugged and wept in silence; both still in each other's arms.

 

-

 

"What do you mean by that?!"

 

"Jennie, I'm sorry.."

 

"You're ill?!"

 

Chaeyoung turned away; she was telling Jennie everything.

 

"PARK CHAEYOUNG, LOOK AT ME!"

 

"Jennie, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hide my condition from you."

 

"But you already did!"

 

"Jennie, I cannot bear to watch you crying for me if you find out about my illness."

 

"Chaeyoung, are you crazy?! I'm your girlfriend and I love you, god dammit!"

 

"I know! But I love you too much to let you share this burden with me!"

 

"What?!"

 

"I know it doesn't make any sense but I don't want this to happen. Now, like what is happening now, you're freaking out!"

 

"I'm freaking out because you hide this from me; you broke up with me because of this damn illness! What do you think I am?! You think I'd leave you if you told me about your illness?!"

 

"I don't want to burden you with me."

 

Jennie was heartbroken. How could Chaeyoung belittle her this way? Was not her love for Chaeyoung sincere enough to overcome this together?

 

"You don't love me, don't you, Chaeyoung?"

 

Chaeyoung turned quickly.

 

"You don't love me as much as I love you that's why you lied to me about everything."

 

"It's not like that!"

 

"It is like that! And you've been on your own; living your life in pain; sitting on that wheelchair while I tried like crazy to get over you; get over us and me, the idiot, thought you hate me! I thought you're living your life happily with someone new, Chaeyoung!"

 

"I'll never hate you, Jennie. I love you. I love you so much. I think of you every day and night. I cannot forget you no matter how hard I tried."

 

"THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU COME BACK FOR ME?!"

 

Chaeyoung cried immediately.

 

"You stupid fool! Don't you have any idea how much my heart is aching; you tore me apart when you said goodbye, Chaeyoung! Why? Why must you do this to me?!?"

 

"Jennie, I'm sorry. I'm terribly sorry for what I've done to you but I love you. I love you so much that I couldn't let you suffer with me. I cannot walk anymore, Jennie. I'm losing senses at every limb of my body and I couldn't even sit up that long. It hurts so bad that I feel like dying. But I couldn't bear to let you witness me like this. You're too soft-hearted and I know you'll cry for me;   like what you're doing now."

 

Jennie's eyes were completely red and puffy. Her heart ached even more after hearing how much Chaeyoung had suffered and despite being in so much pain, the only person Chaeyoung could think of was her.

 

How could she not realize it?

 

How could she let Chaeyoung go just like that after knowing how much Chaeyoung's in love with her?

 

She should have guessed that Chaeyoung could have a valid reason like this to leave her like that.

 

Jennie dropped on her knees; right in front of Chaeyoung. She then rose on her knees; cupping Chaeyoung's cheeks with her palms; pulling the lady closer. She didn't say anything but just staring into Chaeyoung's eyes.

 

"Jennie.."

 

Chaeyoung was crying. Jennie could see the immense fear and the deepest pain; she could literally see Chaeyoung's fallen grace and she hated herself for not fighting for Chaeyoung; fighting for them.

 

"Chaeyoung.."

 

Jennie pulled her closer; pushing Chaeyoung's face into her chest. Chaeyoung quickly wrapped her arms around Jennie's waist while Jennie gave a soft peck on her forehead.

 

"I'm here, Chaeyoung. I'm not leaving anymore."

 

Jennie whispered softly.

 

-

 

Jisoo took out her phone and dialled for Seulgi's number. Seulgi answered almost immediately.

 

"Yo!"

 

"Seulgi.."

 

Jisoo's quivering voice was scaring Seulgi.

 

"What's wrong? Why do you sound like that? Are you crying? Did you do some stupid thing and Jennie left you?"

 

Jisoo burst into tears and Seulgi was panicking.

 

"Kim Jisoo, what's happening? Why are you crying?"

 

Jisoo could only cry on the phone; leaving Seulgi bewildered.

 

-

 

Jennie was staring into space as she drove with just one hand. She couldn't think; she couldn't even understand the whole that had happened. Why was she that dumb not to realize anything?

 

Jennie kept caressing Chaeyoung's back gently. They have stopped crying and Chaeyoung was holding her tightly in her arms; and Jennie returned with a protective grip. For some reasons, Jennie couldn't let Chaeyoung go again. Suddenly, Chaeyoung called out someone's name.

 

"Lisa..."

 

Jennie quickly turned to find Chaeyoung's first love was looking at them; her eyes were downcast. Jennie then turned to look at Chaeyoung; she was confused but soon realized what happened. She pulled herself away from Chaeyoung.

 

"You called her instead?"

 

"Jennie, please understand me."

 

"Jennie, it wasn't her. I was the one who took the initiative to look after Chaeyoung."

 

Lisa interrupted them; leaving Jennie a little baffled.

 

"You rather confide in your first love than me, Chaeyoung?"

 

"She knew about it. She's my doctor now."

 

How convenient that was. Lisa got to know about her condition first just because she's a doctor. Jennie isn't one.

 

"So Lisa came in my place and took you away from me?"

 

Jennie then turned to her Lisa; she glared at her.

 

"I thought you have a girlfriend?"

 

"I left her too so that I could be with Chaeyoung."

 

"What...?"

 

"Jennie-shi, Chaeyoung wanted to deal with this on her own. But I know she couldn't handle this by herself so I volunteered to stay by her side."

 

"What happened to your girlfriend? She agreed to let you go?"

 

"She's a fantastic lady. She knows about us."

 

Lisa was pointing to herself and Chaeyoung.

 

"Is she stupid or what?!"

 

Jennie raised her voice. She felt betrayed; she felt dumb. Why didn't the other girl fight for Lisa?!

 

"Jennie-shi, it's not my ex-girlfriend's fault. It's mine."

 

"Damn right, it is! How could you leave your girlfriend knowing how much that lady loves you?"

 

"Like I've said, she has a heart of gold."

 

Suddenly Jennie realized that sentence was too familiar. She turned to Chaeyoung; she was looking away but Jennie made her looked at her.

 

"You told me about Lisa before. You told me she was seeing someone. I know you mentioned her name before. Do you know her name?"

 

Chaeyoung nodded painfully. Lisa looked on.

 

"Can you tell me?"

 

Jennie was hoping she wouldn't hear the same name that she had in mine. But that someone appeared in front of them even before Chaeyoung could answer.

 

"Lisa.."

 

Jennie turned to find Jisoo walking up to Lisa. Jisoo didn't notice her at first but when she realized Lisa was staring intently at someone; she turned to look as well. She was horrified.

 

"Jennie!"

 

Jennie looked at each of them. She knew something wasn't right. Lisa told her that her ex was aware of her relationship with Chaeyoung.

 

"Jisoo, please be truthful with me."

 

Jennie's voice quivered.

 

"Do you know what happened between Chaeyoung and Lisa?"

 

Jisoo looked away as she bit her lip hard. It was bleeding but Jisoo's heart was bleeding even more.

 

"Jisoo, tell me you don't know about this. Tell me you're not aware that my girlfriend has been living with your girlfriend and left us because of some stupid reason!"

 

"I'm sorry, Jennie."

 

Jennie was bewildered. Jisoo knew!

 

"You knew...?"

 

Jisoo nodded her head.

 

Jennie was losing her mind. She wasn't thinking straight anymore.

 

-

 

Jennie's tears fell from the corner of her eyes as she recalled the incident earlier on. She felt betrayed; all the people she cared for had been lying to her. They took her for a ride and made her looked like a complete fool.

 

She just couldn't believe that Jisoo was involved as well. How could she lie to her? Did she win her way through Jennie's heart because she had an advantage over her? She knew about Chaeyoung and Lisa living together; hiding such heartbreaking truth from her.

 

"Jisoo, how could you lie to me like that?!"

 

"Jennie!"

 

Jennie ran off; after realizing she was the biggest fool among the four of them. She was the last person to know the truth and Jisoo was lying to her about everything.

 

"Jennie, hold on!"

 

Jisoo ran after her; that lady could anticipate what was going through in Jennie's mind. She regretted for not being truthful but she never knew that it would happen like this.

 

"Jennie, wait!"

 

Jisoo managed to catch up with Jennie and grabbed her by the arm. She pulled the angry lady in and tried to engulf her in her arms but Jennie managed to push her away.

 

"DON'T TOUCH ME!"

 

Jisoo struggled to hold on but Jennie was determined to break free. She managed but Jisoo held on tightly to her wrist.

 

"I said let me go."

 

"Jennie, please listen to me!"

 

"Why should I do that? You're the same like Chaeyoung! You lied to me!"

 

"I didn't mean to lie to you. I didn't expect this to happen."

 

"Is this why you tried to win your way into my heart?"

 

"No! I fell in love with you; sincerely. I never expected to fall in love with you. I swear, it wasn't my intention to hurt you like this."

 

"But you've already did! I thought you'd be different, Jisoo!"

 

"Jennie, trust me. I love you. My feelings for you are real. What ever happened earlier on was just a misunderstanding."

 

"You knew Lisa left you for Chaeyoung!"

 

"I know this is killing you. It's killing me as well."

 

"I don't think we can be together anymore."

 

"Jennie!"

 

"I cannot trust you anymore."

 

Jennie shook Jisoo's hand away before running back to her car; leaving Jisoo broken-hearted.

 

- - - - - - - - 

A/N: I'm sorry :(