Two

The Royal Affair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There was so much to do and so much to learn now that she was going to be a princess. She had to attend the royal etiquette lessons; she had to learn how to sit properly, how to enter and get out of the car, how to hold her clutch, how to stand and wave, even how to hold the prince’s arm when walking and when standing. Aside from that, Ahri had to attend the royal affair briefing. Although she was not yet part of the royal family, she had to be aware of all palace’s household, and also some of the nation's issues.

She had been going back and forth four times a week for those lessons, and the remaining three days she had spent with the prince. The prince liked to take her to outdoor activities. He had taught her archery, horse riding—which was probably the most daunting one, or sometimes he would take her to just lounge under the tree in a picnic with Brownie and Blondie playing around.

It had been two weeks now, and Ahri found herself getting more and more closer with the prince.

Jaehyun was so considerate towards her. It almost seemed like he was really trying his best to make this marriage work. She’d learned a couple of things about him—his likes and dislikes, and vice versa.

The engagement was finally made public. It was going to be the wedding of the year. Soon as the news that Lady Ahri was to marry Prince Jaehyun was spread, people were frenzied. Lady Ahri was well known for her charity works as she endorsed various humanitarian activities. She was the ambassador for the ‘Love-Heal Children’ campaign. People were sympathetic with the Lady, and they adored her—not only provisionally, but almost nationally. So, when people heard that the girl who was going to be the princess consort was Lady Ahri, they were overjoyed.

Loads of them supported, but not little of them were against political marriage. Not to mention all those romanticists out there that demanded the Prince and Lady to stand up for themselves and escape this arrangement.

The wedding was in two months—which shocked Ahri to no end. How could everyone arrange a huge wedding so quickly? Well, she supposed money had talked, so the bigger the payment, the better the results.

Ahri had to just practically sit down and be pretty—be the princess.

They were currently sitting inside the function room; the room where the royal members usually attend to their guests. The royal public relation team was currently laying out the plan for the royal engagement publication. The team leader, Son Wendy, was the long time trusted staff that had been handling the royal family’s public affair.

Steady exposure must be made to prevent misleading facts—such as unplanned pregnancy, and stuffs that the palace didn’t want to be heard. Political marriage was actually inevitable to be acknowledged by people, but it would be even merrier if Ahri and Jaehyun could show some true affection towards each other.

“This would be good for your integrity, Your Highness!” Miss Wendy said to Jaehyun. “You would gain support and sympathy from the people of Lucretia. People will see you as a true gentleman, treating your future consort,” she gestured to Ahri, “With passion and decorum, albeit having to know each other for a very short time. People will notice that you truly are willing to do what is best for your country!” Miss Wendy finished with a flail of her arms.

Miss Wendy was an animated person who loved to speak expressively with such engaging tone. Ahri was a bit overwhelmed at first, but she realized that Miss Wendy was actually a nice lady, and she grew accustomed to that.

“I am doing what is best for my country...” Jaehyun said unanimatedly.

“Of course, Your Highness,” Miss Wendy said in a more polite manner, clasping her hands down with a smile. “But people can’t see it—yet! And how do you let them see it if not by showing them? Showing them how into this marriage you are!” She flailed again.

Somebody needed to hand the people in the room some earplugs if she never stopped escalating her tone of voice by the end of her sentence.

“Now,” Miss Wendy started, calmer. “I understand that Lady Ahri is scheduled for an exclusive interview at the TV station tomorrow?” Miss Wendy said after briefly checking her papers.

“Yes?” Ahri answered a little hesitantly.

“I’ve made sure that I’ve cleared all Prince Jaehyun’s meetings and appointments for tomorrow too...” Miss Wendy trailed as she went back to her papers. "It would be amazing if people see the prince accompanying Lady Ahri to her first interview since the engagement news was publicized."

“Oh, now I know why my mother has been sulking—the prince has just abandoned his duty...” Jaehyun whispered to Ahri’s ear, his hand touching the small of her back.

Ahri couldn’t help the giggle that escaped .

“That!” Miss Wendy shouted, startling both the Prince and the Lady. “That is what we all wanted!” She flailed her arms again. And then she sighed, “I guess we need not to work hard after all...” she said with a dreamy look on her face.

Ahri raised her brows skeptically, a small smile on her face. She turned to Jaehyun, who was looking at her with the same amount of amusement. This was fun. Jaehyun was fun. The prince was actually a kind and caring person, very different from what Ahri had heard from gossips.

A knock sounded from the door, and Jinri entered the room swiftly. The aide sauntered towards Ahri briskly, “Excuse me for interrupting,” she announced to the others. She then bent down to where Ahri was sitting, “Milady, Mr. Taeyong is on the phone,” she whispered as she handed Ahri the phone.

Ahri froze and stared at Jinri, completely caught off guard. She hadn’t heard from Taeyong ever since he sent her that letter. Ahri hadn’t opened the damned letter yet, but she expected him to make contact whatsoever. Come to think of it, Ahri hadn’t thought of Taeyong once ever since she was bound to visit the palace everyday. She was apparently engrossed in the wedding commotion that she overlooked her future with Taeyong.

“Milady,” Jinri called in a whisper, offering the phone once again.

Ahri took the phone from her aide, mumbling an apology to everyone in the room before walking out of the room gracefully. Once outside, she rushed to a corner and put the phone on her ear. “Taeyong...” she whispered.

In the background, Jinri had ordered all the guards to empty the hallway, leaving the Lady the space she needed.

“I thought you wouldn’t accept my call,” Taeyong’s deep voice rumbled from the other line.

Ahri closed her eyes, savouring his voice. “Why wouldn’t I take a call from you?” She said with slight chuckle. “I miss you...” she whispered again.

Taeyong sighed heavily. “Don’t say that,” he said in a whisper, but the way he said it told Ahri that he was restraining himself.

“What?” Ahri said, confused. Taeyong obviously sounded like he detested her for saying that, and that hurt her.

“You’ll be marrying another man—a more powerful man. You shouldn’t be talking like that to me.”

“But—“

“Have you read my letter?” Taeyong asked, cutting her.

Ahri paused, guilt suddenly washing over her. She had actually brought the letter with her today, but she just couldn’t get the chance to open it no matter how many times she remembered. “No, I haven’t,” she said, looking out the window, while at the same time not looking at anything at all.

Taeyong chuckled, “Figures. I should’ve come instead of being a coward and write.”

“Why didn’t you come?”

“Because I can’t bear saying good bye to you and see your face the last time without wanting to whisk you away...”

“What?!” Ahri almost shouted and twirled around. She eyed Jinri with wide eyes. “Jinri will you get Taeyong’s letter from my purse, please?” she said in a rush, putting a hand on the phone. “You’re leaving?” she said to Taeyong.

“I left the day after I wrote to you. I’m at my cousin’s home now on the southeast...” Taeyong informed.

Ahri couldn’t seem to breathe properly, and her legs felt like they gave away. She looked around for a single bench and sauntered towards it. She sat down, holding her stomach, which felt like they might rebel as well.

She had been so occupied with the engagement thing that she had forgotten the letter that Jinri gave her the other day. The letter had been sitting inside her pruse for two weeks, and now, she felt an immense of guilt pouring down her body.

“You’ve left...” she whispered. “And you didn’t even say goodbye?” Tears started to prick her eyes.

Taeyong didn’t answer, and Ahri’s tears became too heavy to hold.

Jinri came back, Taeyong’s letter in her hand. Ahri quickly opened the envelope and pulled out the white crisp paper.

 

 

My dear, Ahri

Please know that whichever way you choose, and whichever way I choose, we choose what we think is lesser of two evils.

I went to talk to your father the other day, and begged for him to annul your marriage plan. Let’s just say that he practically swore me off. I know he hated me. But I was willing to do anything for you not to marry the wrong man.

But then it downed on me that this was all unstoppable, that it was all bound to happen. And I can’t be there when it actually happens, I can’t watch you exchange vows with another man. It is too hurtful.

So I decided to put my pride down and head away. My love, I don’t know if the Prince is a gentleman or not, but I am giving you to him with a heavy heart. I have no power over this. But know this, I promise you on my parents’ lives, if he ever makes tears out of you, I will personally hunt him down, and not even your father will stop me.

Good bye, Ahri.

Love, Taeyong.

 

 

“Good bye, Ahri” Taeyong whispered.

“No, wait!” Ahri wailed hoarsely. But Taeyong had hung up and Ahri could do nothing but stare at the phone.

She couldn’t believe that Taeyong had actually walked away—that Taeyong had actually gave up on them. And suddenly she felt angry at him. And the tears that came out was of rage. She was angry that she couldn’t see him the last time because he was such a coward. She was angry at herself that she didn’t open the letter the first time it arriv

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter