Empathy

Guess we have to live together

A/n: Thank you for still taking interest in this fanfic. I have been busy with graphics design the past days especially since it’s renjun’s birthday and I wanted to design a cupsleeve for him.

 

Also to clarify, Mark is currently 3 years old, going to four by summer and its currently spring in the timeline.

 

 

-----

 

Minseok and Sehun personally delivered the bed and Mark was happy as the adults assembled the bed.

 

‘hello.” A child hybrid waved at Mark and Mark was unsure if he should talk to him or not.

 

 

“Luhan won’t bite Mark, he’s our son.” Minseok said as he saw the two and Mark smiled and waved back.

 

 

“Iwm Mwork!” Mark said and Luhan giggled.

 

 

“You’re cute!” Luhan remarked and Mark’s cheeks heated up.

 

 

“Twank you!” Mark chirped.

 

 

“Your son is quite the charmer huh?” Johnny said from the door and it made both Minseok and Sehun laugh.

 

 

“He really is. Luhan, tone it down baby.’ Minseok reminded the boy who nodded and led Mark into the living room for them play with the toys.

 

 

“Really cute.” Johnny chuckled.

 

 

“He started like Mark too. But we took really good care of him and look at him charm his way with words.” Sehun said and Johnny sighed.

 

 

“Do you know a good therapist?” Johnny asked and Sehun nodded.

 

 

“Dr. Taeil.” Sehun replied. “He’s a kind doctor and very good with kids.” Sehun added.

 

 

“I’ll give you his contacts later.” Minseok said and Johnny smiled and thanked them.

 

 

After the bed was assembled, Taeyogn insisted that the three joined them for lunch and they all chatted with vigor; Taeyong and yuta were both interested in how marriages work while Ten and Johnny asked them about child rearing seeing that Luhan, now 6 years old, had been raised well. Both Minseok and Sehun indulged them, eager to tell them how they do things.

 

 

“You know, I am taking care of two babies, Sehun is pretty much a baby too.” Minseok remarked and that made Sehun pout.

 

 

“I hate that I can’t refute that.” Sehun said and everyone laughed.

 

 

“You’ll get used to it.”  Minseok added.

 

After the Kim’s left with promises to arrange play dates for Mar to improve his intra-personal skills, Johnny and Ten went to get Mark’s collar. Mark was tired with playing so Yuta and Taeyong volunteered to take care of Mark in the meantime. Yuta cuddled Mark to sleep and sang him a Japanese lullaby while Taeyong watched protectively.

 

Minhyuk was happy to show them the collar and gave them a small toy that Jooheon picked up to help with Mark’s teething.

 

 

“Jooheon said that it will help to lessen the urge for big cats to bite, you know how they are.” Minhyuk said and both Johnny and Ten were glad that they were given such information and help.

 

 

“How’s the rings though?” Ten asked and Minhyuk took out his phone to show them the snaps of the ring, now being polished before fitting the stones.

 

 

“Wow, they look really pretty.” Johnny remarked.

 

 

‘Thank you, we did our best.” Minhyuk beamed with pride.

 

 

They took a detour to the florist to take care of the flower arrangements. They met with Junhui, and apparently he is Kun’s relative, a close cousin but both hooman noticed the cat ears from the man.

 

 

“How do we put it, I am one of the adoptees of Kun’s uncle.” Junhui said and they both understood, “but Kun is so kind he considers me as a cousin. You know people are judgemental.” Junhui shrugged.

 

 

‘Ah yes, I consider Taeyong as my brother.” Ten offered.

 

“So they chose hydrangeas?” Jun beamed them a smile and Ten nodded. “Hmm, it will be a bit tricky but they are definitely beautiful. Wonwoo!” Junhui shouted and out came a handsome man wearing an apron and holding a mock centerpiece arrangement.

 

 

Both johnny and Ten gasped when they saw the masterpiece and it made Junhui chuckle. ‘Pretty isn’t it?” Junhui asked and both hooman nodded.

 

 

“Who made this?” Johnny asked and Junhui pointed to Wonwoo.

 

 

“He’s amazing right? But he doesn’t want to acknowledge it, sadly.” Junhui pouted.

 

 

“Your work is amazing.” Johnny praised him.

 

“Oh thank you.” Wonwoo flushed.

 

 

“See, I told you you are amazing.” Junhui said and Wonwoo broke into a smile.

 

 

“Why aren’t you used to compliments?” Ten asked and Wonwoo sighed.

 

 

“Not a lot really understand the profession, thinks it is girly or something.” Wonwoo shrugged.

 

 

“He has a green thumb though.” Junhui said and kissed his cheek.

 

“Junhui!” Wonwoo gasped.

 

 

“Oh, sorry.” Junhui immediately bowed his head.

 

 

“Oh don’t worry about it. I am friends with Kun and the amount of skinship I have to endure, well that was mild.” Ten reminded them and it made Junhui and Wonwoo smile wide.

 

 

“Thank you for understanding.” Wonwoo replied.

 

 

“So we like this already and do you have any ideas for the bouquet?” Johnny asked and Wonwoo nodded.

 

“A simple bunch with angel’s breath and crystals. The colors would be blue to purple with white. It will fit the theme.” Wonwoo said and Johnny nodded.

 

 

“Can I take pictures of this so I can show it to Taeyong and Yuta?” Johnny asked and Wonwoo nodded.

 

 

“Oh, we are going to send pictures to a magazine for publication, can we send your floral arrangements? We’ll give credit of course.” Ten said eagerly.

 

 

“It’s not yeet decided but we are trying to submit our work.” Johnny quickly added and Junhui smiled.

 

 

“It’s a free promotion.” Junhui nudged Wonwoo who smiled and nodded.

 

 

“That would be appreciated.” He replied and they all shook hands to seal the deal.

 

 

---

 

Mark was still napping when they arrived home so they showed Taeyong and Yuta the flowers and rings. The two was beyond happy with it and were almost in tears when a sleepy Mark trotted to them and Johnny picked him up sit on his lap.

 

 

“Hey baby boy, had a good nap?” Johnny asked and Mark nodded, holding Haechan tighter to himself.

 

“Bwed ish shoft.” Mark replied.

 

“Hey baby, we have something for you.” Ten handed him the box and when Mark opened it and saw the collar he squealed in delight.

 

“It’sh pwettwy.” Mark exclaimed and Johnny put it on him. “Awm I pweetwy” Mark asked and the four nodded.

 

 

“Always baby.” Johnny said and Mark gave him a kiss on his cheek.

 

 

“And what about me?” Ten pouted and so Mark also gave him a kiss.

 

 

“Oh so you only know your hoomans huh?” yuta feigned a hurt tone and Taeyong pouted next to him so Mark giggled and wen down from johnny to kiss both the cats who smiled immediately at the affection.

 

 

“Jooheon wanted to give you this Mark.” Johnny remembered the toy and Mark happily accepted the toy, recognizing it as a chew toy.

 

 

“Cwan I ushe it?” Mark asked and Johnny nodded.

 

 

“Let’s sanitize it first okay?” Taaeyong said and Mark handed the tooy to the big cat who chuckled and got to work.

 

 

“We called Dr. Taeil while you were gone.” Yuta said as he picked up Mark to gush over the collar. “We set an appointment tomorrow and he was willing to accommodate us.” Yuta beamed a smile and both Johnny and Ten were grateful to have such responsible brothers.

 

---

 

Dr. Taeil was funny, Mark was already laughing two minutes into the appointment. The doctor was kind and very sweet to the cub although his nurse was a little bit intimidating.

 

 

“Oh hush Hansol, stop scaring them.” Taeil glared at the nurse and Mark noticed the ears and tail.

 

“cwat?” He asked Taeil who smiled at him.

 

 

“A big cat. Hmm do you know what a Cheetah is?” Taeil asked and Mark shook his head.”It’s a big cat like you!” Taeil remarked and motioned for Hansol to sit next to him and scratched his head. “He is tame, unless you hurt me but I am sure you won’t do that right?” Taeil asked and they all nodded, looking at the hybrid that was about to growl.

 

 

But they were all surprised when he took out a cookie from his pocket and gave it to Mark. “It’s good for weight gain.” Hansol shrugged and stood on his full height and left the room.

 

“He is a softie.” Yuta giggled and Taeyong glared at him, “Oh come on, he’s mated!” Yuta remarked and Taeil smiled.

 

 

“Perceptive cat.” Taeil replied and they all gasped. Taeil showed his ring finger and they all understood. “So I hope you don’t have a problem with that?” Taeil asked and they all shook their heads. “Good.” Taeil smiled and asked Johnny to place Mark on the bed on the corner for examination.

 

Taeil did the routine checks, noting that Mark is generally okay but malnourished. He then noted the speech and smiled at Mark. “We need speech therapy honey.” He said and Mark scrunched his nose making Taeil coo at him. “You’re a bit behind with your words and letters, a good deal of exercises, and a lot of practice will get you on track.” Taeil assured him and then turned to Johnny and Ten,

 

 

“Can I talk to you privately?” He asked and the two nodded. With that Taeyong and Yuta took Mark with them to get some multivitamins in the pharmacy,

 

 

“He’s really behind with his speech, and I can tell that there was some abuse.” Taeil chose his words and Johnny sighed.

 

 

“He was abandoned.” Johnny confessed.

 

“We found hi and decided to foster him, and eventually adopt him.” Ten added.

 

“I see. I didn’t want to talk about this with Mark here, I don’t want to trigger him or anything.” Taeil smiled at them. “Hansol was also abandoned and my parents took him in when we were young.” Taeil said and the two looked at him with awe. “The whole reason I pursued this career to be honest.” He shrugged. “So we will schedule Mark with speech therapy, There is a partner institution that deals with children as patients so Mark won’t be forced to go to the hospital. It’s like a day care.” Taeil said and handed them a brochure of the institution. “I will give you a medical abstract and recommendation to get a slot for Mark. Please look for Soonyoung or Seokmin.” Taeil said and the two thanked him and went out to find their hybrids.