Four

Bird of Paradise

Jin’s home has always smelled old to him, like yellowed books and clothes forgotten in the attic. Of course, Jungkook would never dare uttering the thought out loud. 

 

It’s simple, a small bungalow nestled amongst trees north of town, about half an hour walk from the surf shop at a good pace. Past the porch with potted plants and a rocking chair collecting dust and dried leaves, through the front door that’s perpetually open, and they are in the living room. Jungkook wiggles his feet to adjust to the rattan guest slippers that are always a tad too narrow, and surveys around him. 

 

The furnishing is basic and in neutral colors - oversized beige couch, long wooden dining table, a long row of bookshelves with books from a wide range of subjects (Le Petit Prince nestling next to Volcanic Sediments of the Hawaiian Archipelago). A few abstract paintings hang on the way, reminiscent of some ancient talisman with symbols scribbled all over them. According to Jin, the last time Yoonji knocked one off the wall, the roof leaked for a whole week. There’s no point scrambling his brain to understand the perplexing logic behind that statement. 

 

Jin is in the open kitchen fussing over an open crock pot, and Namjoon is hunched over the counter, talking to him softly.  

 

“...should’ve grabbed more bread, one loaf is never enough for everyone.”

 

Namjoon murmurs, “It’s fine, I can always run out if we’re short…” 

 

“But hospitality! More food than necessary! You know, years ago I would’ve done a welcoming ceremony for every new guest, the incantation, the offerings, whole nine yard.” 

 

“Love, it’s just us, you know Jungkook and I would eat anything you cook.”

 

Jin looks up and waves his hand at Taehyung, “Not for you, for the guest. It’s Taehyung’s first time here.” 

 

Taehyung sets the potted plant in hand on the dining table, and smiles, “I’m sure whatever you cook is delicious. Smells good in the house.”

 

Jungkook shoots him a look that says wow up much, Taehyung ignores him.

 

Namjoon eyes the plant curiously, “What a pretty looking thing.” 

 

Jungkook agrees. Taehyung was adamant that they brought a gift for the meal, so they walked around Main Street for a while until stopping at Uki Florist. And of all the plants clamouring for attention in the tiny shop, he could tell Taehyung was fascinated about this one right when he stepped in. It’s a dwarf schefflera, according to the shop owner, with thin wisps of roots drifting down from the branches, reminiscent of the banyan tree near the town hall. 

 

“Supposedly these bonsai trees live for decades.” Taehyung says with a gleam in his eyes.

 

“What a nice thought, think of all the stories the trees can tell if you listen.” Jin comments as he lifts the lid off a crock pot on the kitchen counter. 

 

“You know I’ve always wanted a bonsai tree.” Namjoon murmurs, practically cooing over the plant.

 

“Hands off my tree, you only get visitation rights if you behave. And - ow ow OW ow!” Jin suddenly helps and shakes his fingers violently. 

 

“Use a fork, don’t use your hand.” Jungkook eyes him wearily.

 

“Don’t tell me how to make my own dish.” Jin clicks his tongue, but after grabbing on the piping hot folded leaves cautiously a few more times, ends up pulling open the utensil drawer reluctantly. 

 

“If you keep bugging him, he’s gonna start on the whole food-should be cooked in the soil spew again.” Namjoon comments gravely.

 

Jin glares at him, “It’s true! Remember how tutu use to make everything buried under an open flame, and it would come out all smokey and flavorful? I miss those days so much, these - these-“ he flails his hands at the crockpot hopelessly, “-electronics are nothing compared to the old ways.”

 

“Right, love. You’re absolutely right, and I love your cooking so much, it’s always so so amazing.” Namjoon speaks sweetly, earning a small smile from Jin. 

 

Taehyung catches his cue perfectly, “I agree, we smelt all the food from the other block. What is this dish called, anyways?” 

 

Jin unwraps the large leaves with a tong, letting the fragrant steam fill the kitchen, “Chicken laulau. Well, I added some salted butterfish also, it’s just not laulau without it, you know? But I also included some chili flakes for Joonie, because he likes spicy food, so you all have to admit I can indeed ‘get with the times’.”

 

Namjoon’s smile is unfaltered, “Most progressive, love.” His hand reaches towards the leaves but gets a tap by the tong in Jin’s hand.

 

“Don’t even think about it. Last time you touched taro leaves, you were itchy the whole night. Let Gukkie do it.” 

 

Jungkook nods and walks over to the kitchen sink to wash his hands. 

 

Jin pulls out plates and lineu them up on the counter, “The poi is in the steamer, it’ll only take me a minute to mash. Joonie also got the pineapple loaf from auntie Alana’s bakery, in case Tae you don’t like poi.” 

 

Taehyung responds, “I don’t mind it, although the pineapple loaf sounds amazing too.”

 

“You don’t have to be polite. Poi can be quite starchy and bland.” Jungkook peels back the leaves with a fork, then scoops the meat onto a plate, taking care to nudge it into a neat pile, “Also I recommend you claim some of the pineapple loaf before Yoonji eats all of it, she loves sweet carb.” 

 

“Ah, we have similar taste then, me and an eight year old.” Taehyung glances around, “Where is she anyways? Out with friends?”

 

“I wish.” Jin sighs, “In her room. She caught a bit of flu, I think. Low fever since yesterday.”

 

“It might also be stress induced.” Namjoon adds.

 

Jin rolls his eyes, “What stress? All she has to do is go to school and stay alive.” 

 

“Yeah but I'm sure kids get stressed out also, you know, with friend stuff, a school crush maybe.”

 

Jin narrows his eyes, “She’s eight, there is no crush at eight, just school. Her attendance at school was 65% last year, 65%! You know how embarrassing it is to go to PTA and get asked why your kid doesn’t even show up at school, when I literally drop her off every single day?”

 

Namjoon is about to say something but Jungkook’s spoon hits the plate with a clank, “I can talk to her again.”

 

“It’s not your fault she’s skipping.” Jin comments, gesturing for Namjoon to start moving the plates to the dining table, “I know I always sound harsh when I’m over, but it’s not your fault. That kid’s just always been a handful.”

 

Jungkook’s fork pauses on the leaves, he murmurs, quiet but determined, “Her heart is at the right place though - she has passions, the teachers just don’t take the time to understand her.”

 

Namjoon’s glance trembles away from Jin at the words, but Jin is silent for a beat. When he finally responds, his voice is resigned, “We all know you’re right. But there are responsibilities in life, you know? She needs to go to school, and I need to ensure she gets an education. I know her life is wide open when she grows up, I know that better than anyone. But until then…” he sighs again and eyes the steamer on the stove, “I’m making the poi a bit runnier today, everyone likes it runnier.” 

 

Namjoon breaths out of relief, “Yes, poi, let’s talk about dinner instead! Lovely meal, Taehyung’s first with us! We need some music, we need - “ he eyes Jin hesitantly, “- what music is happy dinner music, love?” 

 

Jin shrugs, “Keola, Kaapana, whatever you like. Just no punk rock please.” 

 

“Aww but it reminds me of our high school days.” 

 

Jin's eyes soften, “I know, me too, it’s just not happy dinner music.” 

 

“You’re probably right.” 

 

They have that look again, the one that melts away the rest of the world and leaves the two of them in an intimate little bubble. The one that makes Jungkook feel simultaneously awkward yet happy for them. He looks away right before Namjoon steps towards Jin, and meets Taehyung’s gaze instead, “Let’s go check on Yoonji then, I think that’s about all I know how to do in the kitchen.” 

 

Yoonji’s bedroom is the second one at the back of the house, with a crooked banner spelling out her name in small seashells. Jungkook knocks gently, and only opens the door after the tiny voice hollering out a weak yes.

 

“I think it’s almost dinner time.” Jungkook approaches carefully. 

 

The room is messy as he remembers: posters and photos and cutouts on every part of every wall, string lights meandering through them like vines, and an explosion of clothes and books on the floor. 

 

A tiny figure is curled up on the single bed, under a thin oversized blue blanket. A Surfer magazine is in her petite hands. The head dips lower as they enter.

 

“Are you coming out?” Jungkook adds.

 

“Not hungry.” A grumble. 

 

Jungkook walks over and tries to place a hand on her forehead, only to be swatted away aggressively, “Stop.”

 

“Oh, maybe you’re not that sick.”

 

“I’m fine, just hot.” Her eyes stay glued onto the magazine.

 

“Do you at least want to say hi to Taehyung?”

 

“Hi.” The voice is monotone.

 

Taehyung gives Jungkook a playful look before speaking up, “Hmm, I guess since you’re sick, then maybe no surfing for a week?” 

 

The magazine slaps onto the bedsheet, and Yoonji’s head snaps up, “Says who? I’m going tomorrow, I don’t care what my dad says.” 

 

Taehyung pulls up the chair next to the desk by the window, “If that’s the case, then you should definitely eat more. Need all the strength you can get.”

 

A huff, and Yoonji rolls away and pulls the blanket up more, “Just go, you guys go eat with them. Leave me alone.”

 

Taehyung shoots Jungkook another look, and pauses for a beat. He looks up and scans the posters on the walls, “Wow you have so many nice posters. Is this - is this kpop?”

 

Yoonji’s curled up figure shifts under the blanket, “Yeah.”

 

“Cool. I don’t know much about kpop, I’ve heard of this group BTS though.”

 

Yoonji’s eyes peek out from under messy black curls, “Really? Which song?”

 

Taehyung thinks and looks at one of the posters, “Hmm there was one on the radio that I liked, very upbeat and had this theme about trophies and winning.” 

 

“Mic Drop.” The blanket is pulled down and Yoonji pulls herself up a little, “Have you seen the music video? They dance really well too.” 

 

Taehyung leans in and responds attentively, “Maybe you can show me later?”

 

“You want to watch? Daddy never watches with me, he says I should watch less and study more…” a scrunch of the nose. 

 

“I’ll watch with you any time I’m around, how’s that? You can show me all your favorite songs, I love listening to new music.” He watches as Yoonji’s lips curl, and adds, “Dinner first though. I’m super hungry, do you think we can share the yummy pineapple bread?”

 

A pause, but eventually Yoonji pipes up, “No poi though.”

 

“No poi.” Jungkook nods. 



 

——


 

Yoonji turns out to do much better once she’s out of the room, ends up eating two portions of the laulau, and graciously saves most of the bread for Taehyung. They all linger around long after dinner, over espresso and music. Jin and Namjoon talk about what transpired at the town hall (“These developers, think they can buy the whole town with money!”), and with Taehyung’s encouragement, Yoonji even gets to talk about the latest songs she’s been listening to, and a new surfboard she’s read about that’s made of carbon fibre and sustainable bamboo (Jin is in a good enough mood to murmur maybe for Christmas). 

 

Family meals - messy, dramatic, awkward and a little overwhelming at times - but by the time they walk out of Jin’s house against a backdrop of darkened sky, Jungkook is filled to the brim with relaxed contentment. 

 

The streets smell of overgrown bushes and lingered over dinners from the open windows of all the residential houses. Taehyung is a few steps ahead of him, humming a nameless tune, face coming in and out of the dark as they stroll past sparsely placed street lamps. There’s a soft pink glow on his slightly tanned cheeks. Jungkook decides that it suits him far more than the sickly paleness from before.

 

“Sorry that took so long, they all talk a lot.” 

 

Taehyung turns to face him, “Why are you apologizing, I had a good time.”

 

“You don’t have to put up with them so much, you know. You can always leave early. I know you prefer to be alone.”

 

“Not all the time. This was nice, I haven’t had a home made meal in a long time.”

 

Jungkook decides that the chattiness suits him also. So does the smile, the gleaming eyes, and the relaxed slouched shoulders. 

 

A hedgehog turning into a mellow cat. 

 

“You don’t have to walk me home all the time either, Uno would’ve been fun, I bet Yoonji is good at it.”

 

“Very. You have no idea, she can remember practically every card that’s been played, it’s actually kinda scary. How is she not good at math in school…”

 

“Oh my god, you sound just like Jin now. You’re supposed to be his cool surfing friend, not another annoyed parent.”

 

“Do I? I try not to.”

 

“I know you try, it’s pretty obvious. But you honestly should cut her some slack. It’s Jin’s job to worry, you should just be her friend. She values your opinion so much.”

 

“You think? I don’t know, I’m not good with kids.” Jungkook sighs, and sticks his hands in the pockets of his boardshort, “Yoonji is like the first kid I’ve ever had to take care of, sort of. Most of the time, when she skips school and pops by our place, I can’t tell if I should be yelling at her or just spend time with her.” 

 

Taehyung pauses to look into his eyes, “You’re already doing all the right things, just need to watch for the tone a bit. I think she’s a bit of an overachiever, so school must be frustrating when she’s not getting perfect marks. I mean, 65% attendance and her grades are fine? She’s obviously very smart. Just need someone to listen, someone to be friends with.”

 

“I guess.”

 

“Does she have friends from school?”

 

“Some, I think, not many. The thing is, the thing is-“ Jungkook tries to find the right words for it, “- she’s actually not from around here either.”

 

“Oh.” Taehyung’s profile is a little blurred in the darkness, but he steps closer with dipped head, “what do you mean?”

 

“Well, we don’t talk about this much, but I’m sure you will notice sooner or later. Yoonji is not related to Jin by blood.”

 

“Oh.” The steps slow down.

 

“She came to Halaina about four years ago. It was a very strange situation. One day, Jin had a sit down with us, and told us he had to go to mainland US, to track down this kid that desperately needed his help.”

 

“I see. So he knew Yoonji’s mom?”

 

“Not quite.” Jungkook gulps. 

 

Taehyung eyes him with concern, “It’s ok, you don’t have to tell me if it’s personal.”

 

“It’s not that, Jin’s situation is just a bit-“ he his lips and tries again, “-a bit unusual. But you hang out with us so much, you deserve to know a bit more about this strange and dysfunctional family…”

 

Taehyung chuckles, “Trust me, everyone has stories of dysfunctional families and secret pasts, one day I promise to share. But do go on.” 

 

Jungkook scratches his head, “Most Hawaiians are actually transplants like me. These islands have always been a sanctuary for people seeking peace of mind. But Jin is one of the few that are direct descents from pure Hawaiian bloodlines. His family, for as far as we can trace back, have all been shamans.”

 

“Shamans. Wow, that’s a word you don’t hear everyday.” 

 

Taehyung nods, “Yes. Back when there were kings and queens, and gods were believed to have walked alongside men. I’m no expert at the subject, but according to Jin, each town had different types of shamans that protected people and performed certain ceremonies. It was all just a part of life back then.”

 

“I see.”

 

“I mean, the world is very different now. He owns the souvenir shop and lives a normal life, but he’s always told us that he can sense things others cannot.”

 

“Like?”

 

“Like the past and future. He says each shaman is born with a different power, and his power is time.”

 

“Wow.” 

 

“Yeah.” Jungkook gives Taehyung a moment to absorb the words. The darkness shrouds them in a comforting blanket, making the conversation surprisingly easy to continue. Jungkook adds after a pause, “He can’t manipulate time, I don’t think. But it’s all together on his mind, the past and the future, and he can gleam into all these moments.” 

 

“And that’s how he knew about Yoonji.”

 

Jungkook nods, “Yes. Jin said he could tell Yoonji was in trouble, and that she belonged here, with us, before even meeting her. I still remember the somberness in his eyes that night. And it took him another three days to fly to Soux falls and find her, three days she went missing from her foster home. He never told us the details, but I think she was in really bad shape, took a long time to recover and be healthy again.”

 

Taehyung grimaces and whispers, “I’m sorry to hear that.” 

 

“Yeah. It’s a very strange tale, and most of the locals know about it, to various degrees, but the whole thing is still hard to explain to new people. But it’s all ok now. Yoonji is here, and Jin is right, she belongs in this family just like the rest of us. Somehow, it’s all meant to be.”

 

They stay silent for a beat, just walking in sync in the dark, past all the houses with pretty front yards, until the street widens and the lights of shops glimmer ahead of them. 

 

“Thanks for telling me. It’s - wow - a lot to absorb, but also sort of makes sense?” Taehyung comments, “You’re right, it's all meant to be.”

 

They’re at the Morgan Street intersection now, Taehyung ruffles his hair and adds, “So how many times have you guys asked Jin for the winning lottery numbers yet?”

 

“It’s not like that!” Jungkook grins sheepishly, “He said it doesn’t work like that.” 

 

“How does it work then, I’m curious now. Does he know what my future would be? What would happen to me, hmm say, next year this time?” 

 

“You can ask him but I doubt he will say anything. He always tells us that fate can not be changed, the best you can do is to follow your heart, and meet it head on.”

 

“Hmm, that’s a nice way of putting it.” Taehyung speaks thoughtfully, glancing down the street towards town. 

 

“Not heading home yet?”

 

“It’s only 8, I’m not that boring, am I?”

 

Jungkook scoffs, “I definitely wouldn’t say you’re boring. But it’s fine if you just want to chill.” 

 

“I think I’ve chilled enough for the past few weeks.” Taehyung scrunches his nose, “You said I should explore more, right?” 

 

Right. And they have for the past few days, nothing crazy, just hikes and strolls when Jungkook has time. To his favorite coffee shop, or to surf spots close by to watch the other surfers in action and talk about nothing in particular. 

 

It’s nice, almost a little surreal. 

 

Taehyung adds, “I’d go to Jimin’s bar, but he’s a little too much for tonight. Maybe we grab beer at the convenience store and hmm, is there any beach spot that’s more secluded?”

 

“Well, Kahekili is west of town. Small but away from the crowds.” Jungkook eyes him uncertainly, “any further then I have to grab the truck.”

 

“Perfect, Kahekili it is.” 


 

———


 

It’s nothing too unusual, they’ve all done it before when they were younger, but it’s still odd to Jungkook when he spots Taehyung stabbing a hole near the bottom of the Kona IPA beer can, flicking open the tab and shotgunning the beer dry in seconds. 

 

Especially standing on the pristine sandy beach of Kahekili, with silvery moonlight dusting Taehyung’s dark wavy hair. 

 

Taehyung eyes the other can in Jungkook’s hand, “You gonna drink yours? Because I can chug that one also.”

 

“Why are you and Jimin always on a mission when you drink? Why not just sip and enjoy?”

 

A shrug, “Because, I don’t drink for pleasure, I drink to get drunk and forget about the world.” Taehyung pulls his shirt off with one swiff move.

 

Jungkook’s eyes widen, “What you doing?”

 

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m gonna go skinny dipping. Bucket list item.”

 

“What.. right now? Here?”

 

“Yeah, where else? You said this is secluded, right?”

 

Not that secluded! Jungkook chokes back the words. 

 

Taehyung wiggles out of his jeans, but hands pause on his boxers, “Hmm, fine, I’ll keep these on for now.” A wink before he heads towards the ocean, “Can’t make it too easy for you now, can I.”

 

Jungkook blushes when his twitches at the word, and he snaps open the beer in his hand. 

 

Maybe he does need a few sips after all. 

 

The water is cold and refreshing on his skin when he dives in, and a crescent moon hangs over the horizon, shedding millions of pale specks over the whispering waves. 

 

Taehyung isn’t far, frantically doggie paddling and splattering up water everywhere. 

 

Jungkook chuckles and grabs him from behind, ignoring his yelp, “Put your legs on me.”

 

“What?”

 

“Put your legs on my waist-“ he lifts his legs and positions them, “-like that. I was getting tired just watching you swim.”

 

“Hey, be nice.” Taehyung punches his shoulder, but legs straddle on tighter. Like a long twiggy koala. 

 

Light as a feather. A damn pretty feather with bright eyes peeking under wet black bangs, cheeks dusted soft pink, and puckered lips made for kissing under the moonlight. 

 

Jungkook gulps and curbs the urge to lean in and claim him.

 

“So easy to float in the ocean. So nice.” Taehyung whispers contently, and Jungkook likes the way his arms are looped around his neck. 

 

“Well, easy for you, I’m still paddling.”

 

Taehyung’s one hand trails down his tricep, “You’re strong, you can handle it.” 

 

Jungkook’s lips curl at the words. It is nice to feel useful. 

 

Taehyung breathes out a long exhale, torso leans back languidly, “Ah, this is so nice. Like having my own little island, and I can just chill and float to wherever I want.”

 

Jungkook loops an arm around his back, making sure he doesn’t fall out of the embrace, “Are you drunk already?” 

 

A giggle, “Maybe. I’m an economical lightweight, remember? A cheap date.”

 

“No .” 

 

“My own personal little island,” Taehyung’s words slur a little, and the waves splash around his torso in the darkness, “so I can just drift away from this cruel world for forever, drifting… I should name my island… my Gukkie island?” 

 

“Don’t call me that. Only Namjoon does it, it’s weird coming from you.”

 

“Why? Does it turn you off when I sound like your relative?” Taehyung giggles into his neck, faint warm puffs that tickle teasingly. 

 

“What do you think, brat.” 

 

“Gukkie… Gukkie…” Taehyung’s whole body is trembling as he suppresses the giggles. Jungkook tries to rip his legs off him, and earns a gasp, “Ok Ok, I’ll stop. Just let me float a bit longer.” 

 

Taehyung leans into the embrace, and Jungkook can almost feel his heart thrumming against his chest. He soaks in the warmth, letting the words slip out before he can stop them, “Why are you always trying to run away from the world anyways, hmm? What are you running away from?” 

 

Silence, the waves splatter and curl against their skins, the pale moon hides behind a wisp of cloud. Jungkook can make out the dull glint in Taehyung’s brown eyes, and he holds onto Taehyung a little tighter, grounding him in the weightless drift. 

 

He doesn’t expect an answer, but it does come, murmured into his skin wistfully, “The world so much, you have no idea.” 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Ugh, if I tell you, I’d have to kill you, Jungkook.”

 

“So what are you, a serial killer? An international spy?” 

 

A sigh, “If only it’s that simple.” 

 

A pause, Taehyung shifts his balance, and adds, “Let’s just say I made a really big mistake when I was younger, and now I have to repent and pay up, for a long time.”

 

“Hmm.” Jungkook mulls over the words carefully, “And it’s not pleasant, I’m guessing. Is it illegal?”

 

“Legal, illegal, patriotic or heinous… it’s honestly all relative, all depends on who you ask.” Taehyung sighs, voice low and barely audible, “But I won’t be arrested or anything if I keep paying for my mistake, if that’s what you’re asking. No, quite the contrary, I’m only safe if I keep going.”

 

“How long do you have to do this for?” Jungkook pulls back to look at him carefully.

 

Taehyung tries to smile, but his lips quiver, and his face scrunches up before giving up. Instead, he leans in again, slumping into Jungkook’s embrace wordlessly. 

 

Jungkook’s throat dries. His hands reach for Taehyung’s back, him in gentle and absentminded circles, letting the waves carry both their thoughts. 

 

His heart clenches when he hears a long sigh, “It’s ok. You’re on vacation, remember? Relax, you’ll be ok as long as you’re here.”

 

A scoff, “Will I? Or I’ll bring you guys trouble also.” Taehyung wipes his face roughly, “You’re right. Vacation. I’ll have a good time, the best time, then I’ll be gone. And you’ll never have to listen to me mope about all this again...” 

 

Jungkook tries to ignore the words, to make a joke and laugh it off, but he can’t. There’s a bitterness in his mouth, and an unnamed frustration wrangling against his chest, making him grimace.

 

Taehyung keeps mumbling, oblivious, grating his ears, “Feelings are so useless, anyways, you know? It’s much easier to just shut it all out, kill it on the spot and move on. Just keep moving on, don’t think, don’t linger-“

 

“Ugh, why are you always so-“ Jungkook grumbles and tugs on Taehyung’s hair, pulling him in so he can snuff out all the words with his lips. 

 

No more words, he’s never liked them anyways, always much preferred to let actions speak for themselves. 

 

Smear those pretty parted lips with his own, suffocate all of Taehyung’s damn thoughts. 

 

Taehyung’s torso stiffens, but slowly, to Jungkook’s relief, he sinks into the kiss. 

 

Warm and timidly soft, just like he remembers. Jungkook chases after it, hands tracing Taehyung’s curved back, willing to push out the little moans he suddenly misses. 

 

Wet curls, long limbs, the way his back dips in prettily at the waist, asking to be held, Jungkook searches with his hands, committing them to memory. 

 

His lips travel down the side of Taehyung’s face, lingers on his neck and above his collarbone. He smiles when he finally hears Taehyung’s mindless gasps. 

 

“We should probably move…” Jungkook murmurs when he feels Taehyung’s legs begin to shift restlessly on his waist. 

 

“Hmm...what for…” Taehyung’s fingers are tangled in his hair, and his hip s mindlessly, spreading little jolts through Jungkook’s body. 

 

“Because, in public…” 

 

A giggle, “You kissed me, remember? I thought you wanted this.”

 

“I do. But…”

 

“But what…” 

 

A nibble on his lip, and Jungkook has no choice but to slap his under the water, “Stop wiggling.”

 

“Why? You don’t like it?” Long fingers dance on his arm, drawing out goosebumps. Taehyung’s is sliding lower towards his groin, hip rubbing against his in small erratic movements. 

 

Jungkook tightens his embrace and swims towards shore. The second his feet touch the sand ocean bed underneath, he strides out of the water, all the way up onto the beach and slams Taehyung into the wet sand, “You sure about this?”

 

Taehyung looks up wordlessly with a small grin. There are flushed blotches on his pale torso in the faint moonlight, and his boxers are wet and sticking to his thighs. 

 

Jungkook grumbles and kneels on top of him carefully, trying to ignore his own hard-on under the boardshort.

 

“What’s wrong?” 

 

The sand is gritty on his knees, and a gust of wind blows in the darkness, drawing a shiver. 

 

Taehyung’s hand reaches up to cup his jaw, “What is it?”

 

“Why are you always drunk when we do this?” A resigned sigh. 

 

Taehyung laughs, a musical sound mixed into the echoing waves, “It’s less awkward, no? Kissing is weird sober.” 

 

“Is it?” Jungkook leans in and traces his lips, careful not to throw his whole weight onto the slender frame underneath. 

 

Like tending to a small flickering flame, pouring his unspoken words into it, willing for it to grow. 

 

Taehyung’s lips are soft and parted, answering to him, submitting. For a moment, the world finally drifts to the back of his mind, the incessant chatterers cease, and all that’s left is the warmth radiating off Taehyung, and the sound of the crashing waves echoing on his mind. 

 

Jungkook suddenly wishes for the moment to stretch on for forever. 

 

When they finally part, Taehyung stares at him for a moment, and finally breaks the silence, “Wow - that was-“ 

 

“Nice, I hope?” 

 

“Yeah...” Taehyung’s hands trace the curve of his torso, down and down until they land on the top seam of his boardshort. His fingers reach under, “Wanna take it off?” 

 

Jungkook pauses for a beat but relents, pulling off the wet shorts awkwardly, then reaches in to help with Taehyung’s wet boxe that seems to be stuck onto his thighs. 

 

They struggle for a while, Taehyung wiggles his hips as Jungkook practically peels the wet fabric off his skin, trying not to scratch him. 

 

Taehyung looks down and stares at his own blindingly pale skin, “There’s sand all over me.”

 

“It’s a beach.” Jungkook deadpans, and scoots back on top of him carefully. 

 

“Gritty.” 

 

Jungkook moves and Taehyung winces, “It feels so odd, all the sand and wetness.” 

 

With a sigh, Jungkook rolls over to lay next to Taehyung. 

 

“Sorry for ruining the mood.” Taehyung murmurs. 

 

“It’s fine. Better this way anyways.” 

 

“How so?” Taehyung turns to look at him, brown eyes gentle. 

 

“I’d much prefer not doing it when you’re drunk.” The breeze blows again, and Jungkook‘s eyes flicker to the pile of clothes they left not far away. 

 

“I’m not drunk! That was one beer.” 

 

“Sure.” Jungkook retorts, but there’s no bite to his word. The sky is dark velvet above them, in muddled gradients of grey from where the crescent moon hangs. Taehyung’s arm is touching his, the tiny bit of warmth lingers in his mind, like the taste of the sea that’s forever on the tip of his tongue. 

 

Jungkook slacks his torso, and sinks into the sand, wandering absently if their breaths sync in the balmy night air. 


 

——



 

They take their time getting back to the house, clothes damp and limbs relaxed. The conversation is meandering, as always, sometimes about the history of the town (Jungkook tells as much as he knows), sometimes regarding which shop sells the best poke (apparently Taehyung already has an elaborate rating system figured out based on fish freshness, veggie ratio, and whether the seaweed is fresh or prepackaged). 

 

By the time they get back home, it’s nearly midnight. They climb up the rusted metal stairs together, close but not touching. Taehyung pauses in front of the door to his suite, “Well, thanks for dinner, and all the extra adventures afterwards.” 

 

Jungkook’s cheeks flush, but he keeps his voice casual, “You don’t have to thank me, I didn’t make dinner.”

 

“Yeah but it was nice to have company. Namjoon and Jin get way too sappy when you’re not around.”

 

“Oh you have no idea, I’ve had to live with it for years.” Jungkook rolls his eyes in pretend mockery, but then adds, “What’s your plan for tomorrow?”

 

A shrug, “I don’t know. I prefer not having a plan, you know, total slacker style, just waste the days away.”

 

Jungkook chuckles, because it’s such a lie. Namjoon has told him already, Taehyung comes over almost everyday now, organizing all the bills and receipts into neat little piles, then entering everything carefully into a giant spreadsheet that gives Namjoon “a terrible headache just standing close to it”. The white plastic chairs and table in the front are always wiped and neatly arranged now, and even the storage area seems more organized. Taehyung is careful about it, never moving things from where they belong, but just lines up the boards and flappers based on size as Jungkook does when he has time, and puts all the goggles in plastic bins. 

 

No, these are not slacker behaviors, Taehyung is something else entirely. Something gentle and funny yet reticent at the same time, retracting into the shadows when the day becomes a little too much. Like right now, standing under the one dim light bulb by the door, Taehyung’s lanky torso is swimming in the damp grey t-shirt, and his eyes are glazed over again, thoughts drifting away, to a place locked and hidden from others. 

 

Jungkook frowns and steps closer, “Hey, grab a dry shirt when you get back inside. Also have some hot tea. There’s an old electric kettle downstairs that we never use, take it, ask Joon about it tomorrow.” 

 

“Dude, does it look like I’m making tea tonight? The second I get in I’m probably gonna pass out on the bed.” 

 

Jungkook narrows his eyes, “Don’t make me come over to make you do it.” 

 

Taehyung blinks at the words, hands tucked into the jean pockets, “Well… if you insist…” 

 

Jungkook pauses, tries to scan Taehyung’s eyes but Taehyung’s looking down, averting his gaze. He leans in closer and is about to speak when the other door creaks open from behind them. 

 

Jungkook turns around to face Namjoon in his cartoon koala pajama, with an awkward grin by his lips, “Sorry, I um - I thought it was you, Gukkie. Sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt - lemme just get back inside - you guys keep talking - lemme just -“ he’s backing into the open door clumsily, Jungkook can’t help but feel concerned that Namjoon might trip over himself or bang into the door frame. 

 

Or both. 

 

The luck. Tonight is definitely not his night. Jungkook purses his lips, and eyes Taehyung apologetically, “I should probably go.” 

 

Taehyung nods, and smiles at Namjoon, “It’s ok, we were done anyways. Goodnight, I’ll come over in the afternoon, Jimin dropped off more receipts yesterday for this week’s tours.” 

 

Namjoon responds sheepishly, “You don’t have to, really. I usually just guess the total, it turns out to be about right most of the time, anyways.” Jungkook gives him a judging look at the words, and Namjoon quickly looks away before retracting back through the door, “Night!”

 

It takes Jungkook another ten minutes to get a quick hot shower and a chance of clothes, by the time he steps out of the bathroom into the tiny living room, Namjoon is hunched over the dining table, with his trusty little sketch book and black pen in hand. 

 

“You didn’t have to wait for me, it’s late.” Jungkook wipes his wet hair with a towel.

 

“It’s ok, you know how it is. The place is so small, I can’t sleep when you shower anyways.” 

 

That’s not true, Namjoon can literally sleep through a tropical typhoon, as they found out last summer. 

 

Jungkook rubs his hair with the towel vigorously, and sits down at the dining table also, “You stayed at Jin’s all night?” 

 

Namjoon nods, “I was going to sleep over, just in case Yoonji’s fever got worse. But Jin said it was ok, that Yoonji was cranky anyways and I didn’t have to suffer with him.” 

 

Jungkook chuckles, “That’s one way to put it.”

 

“How about you guys? You went swimming somewhere?” 

 

“Kahekili.”

 

“Nice, that’s quite the walk.” 

 

There’s a gleam of tenderness in Namjoon’s eyes, “You guys have been hanging out more lately.” 

 

Jungkook dips his head to wipe his hair again, and stays quiet.

 

“It’s good. You seem happier around him.” 

 

Jungkook responds, not looking at him, “I guess.”

 

“No? You don’t sound convinced.” 

 

“Well…” 

 

Namjoon doesn’t rush him, he never does. The black pen stays still between his fingers, waiting patiently. 

 

Jungkook shifts in the chair, “I don’t know, it feels weird.”

 

“What’s weird?”

 

“The whole thing I guess. He’s hard to read.” 

 

“Hmm.”

 

“Sometimes he’s chatty, sometimes he’s closed off. Some days I think he’s really enjoying himself here, but other days I feel like he’d rather run far far away.” 

 

“And that concerns you?”

 

Jungkook’s thumb rubs on the towel absently, “Maybe it shouldn’t. He’s only here for a bit, right? What does it matter anyways…” 

 

Namjoon speaks gently, “I think it does seem to matter to you. I think for whatever reason, you care about Taehyung.” 

 

Jungkook bites his lip and turns silent for a beat. When he speaks again, his voice is quiet, “How did you know when you liked Jin?”

 

Namjoon mulls over the question and responds, “Hmm, it just was? I don’t know how to describe it, we practically grew up together. There wasn’t a big aha moment, but everything just fell into place so easily.” 

 

His fingers trace the edges of the sketchbook, eyes fond from the reveries, “You know, a lot of kids found Jin a little odd growing up, with his strange abilities and all. But he never cared about what they thought, was always fine with being himself. And I admired him so much for that, still do. I always felt like I could just be me around him, my silly flawed self. It feels like home when I’m with him.” 

 

Jungkook is stunned. What do you say to that, to the perfect kind of love that everyone yearns for and isn’t even sure that it exists. Finally, he looks at Namjoon and speaks sincerely, “You guys are really meant for each other. I’m happy for you.” 

 

“Yeah, maybe it’s fate. Jin would know. Although you know what he always says-“

 

“Hmm?”

 

“That you have to help fate out a bit, to nudge it in the right direction.” Namjoon eyes him earnestly, “If you like him, then give it a chance, don’t be afraid to show your feelings. You were once a visitor to Halaina too, visitors do sometimes end up sticking around.” 

 

Jungkook cards through his damp hair, and feels Namjoon’s words soak into his mind. They’re hopeful, comforting him more than he’d like to admit. Yet something else trills in his heart, something frustrating and unsure. Moments later, in his own small bedroom, with Namjoon snoring faintly behind the closed door, Jungkook allows his mind to finally wander freely. Fragments of images flash and mix, of lips ruddy from kisses, and long fingers tracing along the curves of his torso, teasing a flame within. When his hand slides down to palm himself in the dark, Jungkook wonders, with eyes screwed shut, if Taehyung can hear him through the thin wall separating them. He grunts at the thought, and bites his lip to snuff out a muffled moan. Cold moonlight slants through the window and mottles his vision, as all the jumbled thoughts culminate into a silent , then are no more.