end

tender, slow steps
Please log in to read the full chapter

tender, slow steps

 

 

 

 

 

*at a cafe near campus*

 

 

 

It was Sunday morning. Yu Jeongyeon had exchanged shifts with a coworker. There weren't too many patrons in the cafe, save for some senior citizens here for the 5-8am special. Most students were still sleeping off their Saturday party, or nursing a headache for those unfortunate enough to have a Sunday class, or across town at the cheap 24-hr diner after a night out that never ended. But - in the corner, there was someone new. At least, new to Jeongyeon.

 

"Hey, who's that girl in the corner?" Jeongyeon asked her coworker, Jihyo.

 

"Mm, I don't know actually, but she always comes in around this time."

 

Jeongyeon nodded, interjecting Jihyo's course of action to deliver a vanilla latte to said girl.

 

"I got it." Jeongyeon smiled innocently at Jihyo, who just shook her head with a tender gaze at Jeongyeon's retreating back.

 

"One vanilla latte," said Jeongyeon, a little too hoppy to just be congenial.

 

The girl rose her head, met Jeongyeon's eyes, smiled in a way that was definitely congenial, lowered her head, returned to what looked like homework.

 

Jeongyeon couldn't say she wasn't disappointed, however she found a new piece of information, tucked into the corner margin of a notebook, which, at the time, she wasn't sure she would ever use.

 

The girl's name was Mina.

 

From then on, Jeongyeon's schedule contained a new shift, which, at the time, was for reasons inexplicable to even her.

 

/

 

*a month later*

 

 

 

"One vanilla latte," said Jeongyeon, with a voice more comfortable than before.

 

Mina rose her head, smiled. "Thank you."

 

It was nearly imperceptible, but Jeongyeon heard it. Her smile was a little brighter that day, etched onto her face until she faded away, into her dreams.

 

/

 

*a week later*

 

 

 

Jeongyeon made a mistake today, made a fool of herself, really.

 

"Thank you," Mina had said.

 

"You're welcome, Mina." She ran away before she could see Mina's response, which was at first confused, then full of endearment, peering at her own notebook.

 

/

 

*a week after that*

 

 

 

Jeongyeon's head was lowered as she served Mina her drink. She made Mina's vanilla latte herself today, worked extra hard to perfect the leaf design on top. She almost cowered away from serving altogether, but Jihyo pushed her ahead.

 

"Thank you, Jeongyeon."

 

Jeongyeon's head shot up, looking a picture of that fish phrase she couldn't remember at the moment.

 

Mina chuckled, ges

Please log in to read the full chapter