005

Min-Night Trip
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Back in the Gangnam District, a loud frustrated and deep groan came out of a man’s throat as the leader of the Knight-Light Racing Group and owner of Midnight Moon Club slammed the office tabletop with his closed fist; the surface cracked upon impact while his teeth tightly clenched from the overwhelming stress he was feeling.


 

“Julius, what in the bloody hell did you do!?” The man screeched into the phone upon finding out about the information he has been receiving from one of s.


 

[ “My apologies. I thought it was the best course of action to claim our victory, Alexander.” ] Julius said, his voice strained in midst of justifying his actions.


 

“That’s unacceptable and you know that!”


 

[ “We did everything we could, but we somehow got out-driven by these brats--” ]


 

“Not another word.”


 

[ “Alex--” ]


 

“NOT. ANOTHER. WORD.”


 

[ “...” ]


 

“Don’t you dare talk back to me, especially when you’re at fault!” The man snarled, veins bulging out slightly from his broad forehead. “Bring me the details upon Leon’s and Cyrus’ conditions from the hospital. Immediately.”


 

[ “As you wish.” ] Julius sighed quietly. [ “Anything else?” ]


 

“Get your damn car into the shop to get it fixed.” He then gruffed. “Kindly take a hike while at it. Piss off, will you?”


 

[ “...Again my apologies, boss.” ]


 

When the call ended, Alexander was furious upon finding out his orders didn’t go through to the Knight-Light members especially when Julius, out of all people, would do something this brazen and reckless to secure their victory.


 

It wasn't easier for the man to deal with as a surge of headaches are coming at his way, throbbing in pain all around his skull from the stress he was experiencing. Alexander knew he needed to get to his back-up plans, and he has to act swiftly before his master plan will fall apart.


 

As he sat down on his high office chair while pulling out his phone from his right hand he was holding, staring blankly at the screen of Julius' contact information blaring through the LED lights, he wondered on how he can proceed with his master plan: to overtake the underground racing scene as the king.


 

He leaned back against the chair as his head tilted upward, closing his eyes for a moment to let everything sinking into his consciousness.


 

There must be something he can do to come back from the blunder.


 

Then, an idea popped into his mind as he opened a list of outsourcing contracts he has acquired in his smartphone. Perhaps he’d get what he wants through under-handed means.


 

A sinister smile crept onto his face as he pressed his selected contact, leaving him waiting in a first few ringtones before the call finally came through.


 

[ “Kang Hyewon of the Kwangbae Hotline speaking,” ] A feminine voice greeted, awaiting the caller to respond. [ “How may I help you?” ]


 

“I have a job for you, Miss Kang,” Alexander ordered as he opened his laptop, greeted him with the data files of his contacts before him as he typed a search query into the keyboard. “I recall you owe me a favor here,” he continued on while reminding the operator of a past deal he has made with her. “Must you forget about my generous ‘gift’ I brought to you a while back, dear?”


 

[ “... How could I ever forget?” ] The woman muttered, disgusted with the caller’s deceptive ways. [ “There’s always a catch when it comes with you and your definition of generosity, sir.” ]


 

“Don’t look harshly behind my actions. We’re going by the rules here.” Alexander jested, shaking his head at the apprehensive tone the contact has spoken with.


 

“I’ve called you for this job because the rest of my men are unreliable,” he started while eyeing on the contact profile page from the display screen. “Given with your past history and records of accomplishments as a formidable racer, I think you’re perfectly suitable in fulfilling a favor for me--


 

“I need you to get Red Devil of the IZ*ONE Racing Group out of the race.”


 

[ “...Look here, I’m trying to retire from street racing.” ] Hyewon sighed. [ “And you have the nerve of wanting me to risk my reputation into jeopardy?!” ]


 

“No need to worry, dear. Your reputation will be safe,” Alexander stated calmly, reassuring the caller from going through a state of distress in her voice. “In fact, I went as far as to provide you a car of your own; an exact model of your current Audi R8 V10, only it is modified from both exterior and interior structure for high peak performance.”


 

[ “I don’t need your help to invest in a new car. I’m satisfied with mine.” ]


 

“Oh, really?” he asked, an eyebrow raised while his voice feigned in wonder-- as though mocking the woman for showing defiance. “Did I mention your current car is impounded at the Gangnam District pound lot?”


 

[ “Are you serious? You stole my only car!” ]


 

“It isn’t stealing when it’s part of our contractual terms, dear one.”


 

[ “Contract? Why haven’t I remembered anything about it!” ]


 

“You accepting my ‘gift’ when you’re in dire need is my legal form of contract.”


 

[ “...Tch. You really made sure you get what you want.” ]


 

“I’m glad we’re on the same page.” The man smirked, proud of his brilliant mind and foresight into making his master plan going on the motion. “The keys have already arrived in your mailbox, you won’t have trouble getting into the vehicle.”


 

[ “How very kind of you.” ] Hyewon responded dryly.


 

“Of course,” he quipped, feeling pleased with himself for having an upper hand from the deal. “All you have to do is follow what I tell you to do, and I will make sure everything will go smoothly. You can trust me, I am a man of his word.”


 

[ “...To go as far as to dig up my past and using my connections to my friends as your leverage, you’re despicable. I will never trust you, not like I have a choice anyway.” ]


 

“Whichever makes you sleep easier at night, dear Hyewon.” Alexander hummed while typing up a draft into his laptop, containing a set of instructions for the woman to read and follow later on. “I will have to let you go for now, but do keep in touch.” He concluded before ending the call, effectively hanging up the phone before the latter had a chance to say anything back to him.


 

“Remember, I have my eyes on you.” The man then whispered as his facial expression darkened, slowly putting the phone down on his side before letting out a laugh, gradually from a low chuckle to a burst of manic laughter bellowing from his stomach.


 

Oh, how it felt so good, to have and gain control the people he has the reins of underneath his fingertips, he glanced over to a side table containing all the chess pieces aligned impeccably in the chessboard he has set up. He went up from his chair, reaching his hand over and moved a white pawn forward by two spaces: a sign of a clear offensive as an opening strategy.


 

All he has to do now was to send out his written orders to Hyewon, pouring himself a glass of red wine, and witness everything that unfolds before him.


 

///


 

"! What am I gonna do now!?"


 

A series of cursing escaped from Hyewon's lips as she slammed her work phone onto the table, apparently flustered-- no, deeply frustrated upon the cluster she got dragged into by the most devious and egotistical man she has ever encountered in her life.


 

Kang Hyewon sank herself into her seat, grabbing her head with both of her hands as she looks down, feeling utterly hopeless upon her predicament. For someone who is known through reputation to be fearless, calm, and cunning through her driving skills, she felt humiliated in knowing she got caught herself into trouble with someone who is both powerful and influential in investments she has received through donations in her organization.


 

It was something that she wouldn’t want to end up in.


 

Ever since she left the street racing scene and parted ways with the IZ*ONE Racing Group over a year ago, she was on her way to establish her own business as a hotline center for those that are seeking for an outlet to rant about anything that has happened to them in their lives. It was a concept that was the equivalent of striking a mass gold mine in the darkest depths of a large cave.


 

As someone who bottles up her inner feelings to herself, expressing stoically around the public eye, Hyewon understands the significance of the people in South Korea going

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter