Chapter 2: Situation

Similarity

I’ve been dating Choi Yena for around two months. I don’t really have anything to complain, or anything to brag about, except that my girlfriend is popular. Here she’s in front of me, sipping her orange juice with her beaks resembled lips.

“So, Hyewon-sunbaenim is Chaewon-sunbaenim’s cousin?!” I said, totally shocked with the truth Yena just spitted out. Yena nods while still focusing on her orange juice.

“Hyewon asked me to not tell it to you and Minjoo at first. But since Minjoo already knew it around last month and she’s already dating Chaewon now, Hyewon thinks it won’t be a problem to tell you,” Yena explained.

“She should just tell Minjoo that Chaewon-sunbaenim also likes her?” I pout, thinking how pitiful my best friend was for being clueless.

“It won’t be fun, she said,” Yena shrugged.

I really have nothing to complain about Yena. She’s the example of perfect girlfriend, good looking, nice, fun, caring, and only have her eyes set on me. Still, I don’t think I had fallen in love with her.

Even though Yena is my girlfriend, I know she feels lonely. Her sidekick, Kang Hyewon is currently doing her internship, so Yena doesn’t have any gaming partner for a while. The popular duo are known to be a gamer, usually spending their spare time in PC cafe.

“I hope Hyewon’s identity revealed and she’ll be kicked out from the company...” Yena mumbles. Oh see, I’m right. Yena is currently thinking about Hyewon-sunbaenim.

I think I said that I’m not in love with the duck in front of me, but hearing her mumble about Hyewon-sunbaenim, I can’t help but to feel a little jealous. I know I shouldn’t, since I understand that Hyewon-sunbaenim won’t steal Yena from me.

Yena’s words makes me curious for a bit. Why she’s hoping that Hyewon-sunbaenim’s identity be revealed? What’s so special about her?

“Is Hyewon-sunbaenim someone important?” I ask. Yena widened her eyes, seems to be surprised that I don’t know Hyewon’s identity.

“She’s famous here since she’s pretty and she’s fated to be one of the heiress of Kang Family. I thought you already know it,” Yena says, “Since I’m close with her, people suddenly noticed me too. It’s not that different with Minjoo and you.”

I can feel something pierced my heart. Ah, so she was once in the same situation with me... People noticed you as “a mere friend” of pretty and popular girl. I started to sulk.

“Don’t take it wrong! I want to be with you not because we’re in same situation. I like you since the first time we met!” Yena realizes that I’m sulking, she must think it’s her fault why I’m sulking right now. Seeing her worrying face, I want to for a little.

“Did you mean since you accuse Hyewon-sunbaenim to flirt with me?” I frown at her. Yena bit her lips.

“I’m sorry... Seriously, I think you were just so cute back then and I’m jealous of Hyewon to be able to have a conversation with beautiful girls without being stuttered...” Yena starts to panic. Oh God, I never thought she’d be this cute when teased.

“So back then I was really cute,” I continue to more. It’s too fun to , so ending it quickly will be a waste.

“Noooo! No! No! It’s not like that! Yuri, you’re beautiful. The most beautiful person in my eyes! Even though others doesn’t think so, I’m always think--”

“So you think only yourself who is thinking that I’m beautiful?” I’m glaring at her.

“I-It’s not like that! Come on, Yuri! You know what I mean, right?” Yena panicked.

I can’t hold my laughter anymore. Yena’s panicked expression is just so funny.

“Why are you laughing?” Yena asks, confused with my sudden laughter.

“You’re funny,” I told her the truth. Hearing my words, Yena’s confused expression turns into a wide smile.

“Of course I am. I’m going to be your happy vitamin after all,” She said boastfully, rubbing her nose with her thumb.

 

-

 

It’s weird to find Hyewon-sunbaenim in the morning, standing in front of the classroom that the freshmen will use. She’s busy with her phone, seems to be checking something.

I approach the popular junior, thinking that I can somehow help her. I call her name, and she notices me quite quick.

“Hyewon-sunbaenim, is there something I can help you with?” I ask her. Her big eyes turns into crescent, and a smile plastered on her face.

Oh God... She’s so pretty.

“I want to give this to Yena, but I should head to the office and she’s not here yet. So I was waiting for you, hoping that you can give this to her,” She hands me a Blu-ray disc of video game. I don’t really know what the title is, but it seems to be a horror game.

“O-oh yeah, sure,” I retrieve the game and put in inside my bag.

“Thank you,” Hyewon-sunbaenim thanked me, patting my head with her hand.

Thump... thump...

“I should go now, Yuri. Please hand it to Yena,” She pulled her hand and bid me a farewell. I’m standing still, stunned by her gesture.

I’m sure that Hyewon-sunbaenim won’t steal Yena from me, but maybe... just maybe, she’s the one who will steal me away from Yena.

 

Yena happily retrieved the video game Hyewon-sunbaenim lent to her. Dang it, I become curious about Hyewon-sunbaenim after what she had done to me this morning. I really want to ask Yena about her, but I’m afraid that she’ll get an idea that I’m interested in her best friend.

I’m really interested, though.

“You’re really close with Hyewon-sunbaenim, huh?” I say, averting my gaze somewhere.

“Of course,” Yena replies.

“I wonder... why she’s always with you in campus. She’s popular, riiight? She must have a boyfriend or girlfriend...” I did my best to not be suspicious. But it seems Yena grasp the idea well.

“Even though she’s my best friend, I won’t let her to take you away from me, you know?” Yena says, squinting her eyes.

“W-what! I’m just asking whether she’s going out with someone or not,” I excuse myself. Instead of being angry, Yena let out a laugh.

“Haha, everyone asked me the same question, so I know what you’re trying to do.”

She’s weird. Why she’s laughing when she caught her girlfriend to be interested in other person.

“You’re not angry?” I ask her hesitantly.

“Of course I’m not! You’re just interested in her, right? One or two loud thumps doesn’t mean you’re in love with her,” Yena says, “Moreover, you’ll love me anyway, so why bother?”

I’m surprised that Yena can be that positive. Her lines are on a whole different level, I can’t imagine anyone saying the same line as Yena did.

“Even you ended up falling in love with her, you’ll be heartbroken and I’ll be the one who comforts you. You’ll end up with me,” Yena continues, annoying smug on her face.

“Woah, you’re so sure that I’ll be heartbroken if I fall in love with Hyewon-sunbaenim.

“I’m sure of it, Yuri. Her kindness is hurting everyone, I know it the best. And of course, I don’t want it to happen to you,” Yena suddenly become serious. Ugh, what’s wrong with the sudden atmosphere change.

“Well anyway, she has a girlfriend, so there’s no chance for you. You don’t have any choice but to stick with me,” Yena let out a big grin on her face. So annoying.

“Let’s drop the topic about Hyewon and go somewhere. It’s upsetting to have a conversation about my popular best friend with my girlfriend,” Yena ruffles my precious bangs. Quickly, I brush her hand off my bangs.

The two of us decided to hold a movie night since it’s a Friday night. Since we’re kind of broke even thought it’s still in the middle of the month, we’ll hold it on Yena’s apartment.

So here we are, in Yena’s apartment. Nothing fancy about her apartment, although it’s still can be categorized as a expensive for a student apartment. Yena doesn’t have a part time job either, so she must at least come from a well off family. Her room isn’t spacious, but it’s also not cramped either, just a right size for a single person.

We struggle for a bit to decide which movie that we’ll watch. I want to watch a horror movie, but Yena was against it. Geez, if she doesn’t want to watch horror, why she’s borrowing horror game from Hyewon-sunbaenim?

In the end, we chose a Japanese human drama movie about an employee that was fired by the company and his family. I thought the movie will be boring, but I was wrong. It’s far from funny, but I think I can relate it, somehow.

“I thought the movie will be like ‘Winter Sonata’ since it has ‘Sonata’ on the title,” Yena says after we finished the movie. I let out a chuckle upon hearing it.

“Silly, it’s not even categorized as romance when we read the synopsis,” I hit Yena’s shoulder.

“Ouch!” She’s faking her pain, I know it.

“I think it’s great for the son to be able to enrolled in music school in the end,” I mutter. Yeah, it was great.

“You don’t seem happy with the conclusion, though?” Yena asks me.

“Huh? I’m happy for him. But he reminds me of myself, I think?”

“How?”

“Yeah, I played piano in the past, but forced to quit since my parents had no money to pay for the lesson,” I said it lightly. It’s something in the past, not a really big deal. Yena falls into silence for a while.

“But, at least your parents supported you, right?” Yena is smiling at me. She’s right, my parents supported me back then, I should be grateful. I nod at her for a response.

A notification sound comes from my phone. Yena is currently in the kitchen, looking for a juice for the two of us, so I decide to check on my phone. It’s Minjoo. She’s telling me that she’s so nervous to spend a night in Chaewon-sunbaenim’s house.

“Even though she already slept with Chaewon-sunbaenim...” My eyes rolled.

A loud thump suddenly can be heard right behind me. Surprised, I turn my head to see what happened.

“S-sorry! I don’t mean to startle you! I-it’s just my hand slipped, and...” Yena tries to explain. The juice is splattered on the wooden floor.

“Are you okay?” I stand up, approaching her.

“It’s okay! The mugs here are made from plastic anyway, so it’s certainly okay, haha...” Yena said, awkwardly taking a cloth to clean the mess.

Perhaps, she heard what I just said.

Gulp.

I can feel my face becomes hotter. I’m in a similar situation with Minjoo, staying in our respective girlfriends’ house. Oh God, why suddenly I become nervous? Yena already finished cleaning up. She awkwardly sits on the sofa again, with another glass of juice.

“You said you wanted an orange juice right? Here...” Yena handed me a white mug with orange juice in it.

“You heard it?” I glance at Yena.

“Uhm... yeah... Never thought that Chaewon could be that... bold...” Yena scratches her cheek. To be honest, I’m surprised that someone flirty and full of confidence like Yena becomes very nervous when talking about a sensitive topic.

I finished the juice and stand up, reaching for my belonging. I should go home now. I can’t imagine myself in Minjoo’s situation.

“Where are you going?” Yena asks me as I grab my coat. What a dumb question.

“I’m going home, of course,” I answer.

“Wait! It’s dangerous to go home at this hour,” Yena grabs my wrist. I look at the clock on the wall, it’s still 11pm.

“Last week I got a notification that gangster activity is detected in this area. It’s dangerous to be out after 10pm,” Yena took a flyer on the coffee table and show it to me. I let out a sigh.

Ugh, now I can’t stop thinking about what will we do for the next seven hours. I bit my nail, trying to hide my nervousness. This morning, my heart thumped loudly when I was with Hyewon-sunbaenim, but the thumps is a lot louder now.

“D-don’t worry, Yuri! My mom sometimes come here, so I have an extra mattress. You can take my bed while I’ll sleep down here!” Yena pulls a mattress from below her bed.

“No! I’ll sleep on that mattress!” I’m pointing my finger at the mattress Yena just pulled.

“You shouldn’t. You’re my guest,” Yena insists. I know Yena can be stubborn, and fighting for the mattress is a waste of time.

“Okay,” I give up.

After preparing for sleep, I threw myself on Yena’s bed. As expected, the bed smells like her, soapy and refreshing. Yena turns off the light, so I’m no longer can see anything.

“...Yuri? Are you still awake?” Yena calls for me.

“...Yes?” I reply to her, telling her that I’m still awake.

“Can I ask you something?”

“...Sure.”

“Are you upset with your family condition? Like, why I didn’t born in a rich family or anything like that?” Yena asks me a really weird question.

“... Not really. Of course I was upset since I had no choice but to give up on piano. But... I love my family. They’re taking care of me and encourage me to pursue my study,” I answer her honestly. It’s not like we can choose our family anyway. I’m lucky to be born in a caring family.

“Well, I guess we’re similar, then,” Yena chuckles. After her words, the room fell into silence.

“Yuri, are you still awake?” She calls me again after a while, but this time I don’t give her any response.

“Oh, she’s already sleeping...”

I can hear a noise coming from the floor. It must be Yena’s doing. Suddenly, I feel someone caressing my hair.

“Good night, Yuri,” I hear Yena whispering softly on one of my ears.

Thump... thump... thump... thump...

I guess I won’t sleep well tonight.

 

-

 

A/N: Finally, the second chapter! Yeay! I think I wrote too much about Hyewon at the beginning of this chapter, but worry not, the next chapter will focus on the main pairing. xD

So, YenYuls relationship is pretty much different with 2Kim even though they started dating earlier. Their relationship is (supposed to be) more innocent compared to 2Kim in the last chapter of Everything. But I dont know whether Ill keep it like that or not.

 

See you later~