Jihyo's Got Buns

Jihyo's Got Buns

She didn’t need help. She just needed people she could steal from.

---

Jihyo’s Got Buns. Unwelcome ual advances will result in your removal from the premise.

Dahyun snorted, choking a little on the yellow dust in the air before bringing her mask back up and adjusting her hat. Out of all the places she had been to, this one had the most character. It was also the smallest.

She pulled out her phone. “Pinky you ready?” A slightly distorted yes was her response.

Dahyun pushed the door open, faking a conversation with Pinky over the phone. The store looked empty, but a few moments passed before a young woman showed up from a door behind the register. She had a plastic glove on one hand, the other covered in flour.

“Welcome to Jihyo’s Got Buns! What can I get for you today?”

Dahyun stepped closer. She pulled the phone away from her ear slightly, speaking in a low voice. “I’m really sorry, I need to deal with this call first. You can finish what you were doing –” Rapid speaking came through the phone. “This might take a bit.”

“Are you sure? I wasn’t busy.”

“Tell that to your hand Jihyo-ssi, I’m pretty sure flour is still coming off.”

Jihyo just laughed, nodding and taking off her glove. “Alright, just call for me when you’re ready.”

“Thank you, I’m really sorry about this.” Pinky’s yell blasted into the bakery. “Yo can you chill out?”

“No problem, good luck with her!” Jihyo backed up, pushing the door open with her hip as she returned to the kitchen.

Dahyun turned her attention back to the store, keeping up the conversation as she did so. There were a couple tables inside separated from the rest of the store by a half wall, and a counter that went from wall to wall, with a little gate on the far-left side for the employees. There were only two doors, probably the minimum required by law. There was the large double door that she had come in from and a smaller exit door at the right end of the counter on the customer’s side. The cash register was in the center, surrounded by displays of what the bakery had to offer. Oddly enough it wasn’t the usual glass displays, but more creative methods instead. There was a little sculpture made of stacked pie slices, there was a fancy cake stand shaped like a tree, and there was even grandma’s stereotypical basket of muffins. The basket was the last display, closest to the exit door.

“I already did dude, you don’t need to keep bugging me about the bills I obviously already paid!” Dahyun started walking towards the basket.

“If I don’t then who’s supposed to remind you about the ones that you haven’t?” She could see Pinky waiting outside of the exit door.

Dahyun moved quickly, swinging the door open and shoving the basket into Pinky’s arms.

“Thanks, I owe you one.”

“No problem, I’ll leave this in the usual spot for you. Say hi to the kiddos for me.”

“I will.”

Dahyun slid her hand into Pinky’s pocket, taking out a fake plastic phone that she threw across the store, slipping her own phone into her jacket and falling back onto the ground at the same time. Pinky sprinted off.

“What the ! Get back here! Jihyo-ssi call the police!”

Jihyo came running out, rolling pin in hand. “What happened?!”

“This girl came in and stole your muffins!”

By the time Jihyo got around the counter Pinky was long gone. She stuck her head out the door in an attempt to spot the thief but there was no chance of that.

“Are you hurt?” The rolling pin was now sitting in a pocket on Jihyo’s apron, a slightly dusty but mostly clean hand being offered to Dahyun.

“I’m fine, she just shoved me and threw my… my phone.”

Dahyun would have given herself an award if she could. She looked across the store and scrambled to pick up the phone, cracked and dead.

“Geez…”

“I’m really sorry about your phone.”

“Huh?” Dahyun’s surprised face was practiced to perfection, even with just her eyes showing. “No no don’t apologize. It wasn’t your fault. I’m sorry about your muffins, I should have stopped her.”

Jihyo pressed her lips into a thin smile. “And that wasn’t your fault either. Don’t worry, they weren’t the most expensive thing to make.”

“Just one of?” Dahyun guessed.

“Sadly.” Jihyo glanced over at where the muffins used to be. “But anyways, what can I get you? It’s on the house.”

“Huh?” This time Dahyun found herself genuinely caught off guard.

“It’s the least I can do after she messed up your phone.” Jihyo smiled warmly at her. “So, what’ll it be?”

“Are you sure? You already lost money and I don’t mind –”

“It’s on the house.” Jihyo repeated. She was already moving behind the counter, sliding on a plastic glove. “Besides you look like you could use the food, you’re so pale. Stay healthy alright? The dust is terrible this time of year.”

“Umm… the inside out chocolate apple, I guess. Thank you”

---

Dubu we have to go back there. These muffins are so ing good.”

“Language! We have a child here.”

“My bad.”

“Aren’t children usually the shortest though?”

“Respect your elders, Chou Tzuyu.”

“I do respect Chaeyoung-unnie.”

“Give me back my apple.”

“I love you unnie!”

“… Fine. Love you too.”

---

Dahyun wasn’t exactly proud of stealing, but it let Tzuyu and Chaeyoung act more like the kids they were supposed to be. She was proud of that.

---

“I’ll be back soon. Don’t get into trouble while I’m gone. Door stays locked no matter what.”

“Yes unnie. Love you.”

“Why can’t you guys be like this all the time?” Chaeyoung and Tzuyu just grinned, blowing kisses as Dahyun opened the door. “Love you guys too.”

She had figured out the safest route to the bakery after five trips. A left at the gas station, two blocks down and a then a right. Go all the way down until she passed the grocery store, then cross the street and head around the corner. It wasn’t the closest, but it made Chae and Tzuyu the happiest.

This time she arrived with the crowd, and what a crowd it was. All the tables were filled, a line snaking back and forth in the store proper before going out the door. The people seemed nice enough, nobody too pushy about getting the line to move.

“Excuse me miss.” An older couple tapped her shoulder. “The line starts over there.”

“Sorry, I just need to use the restroom.” Dahyun fidgeted with the small purse she had, making eye contact with the other woman. “It’s kind of an emergency.”

“Oh! Sorry go ahead.” Dahyun nodded her thanks and quickly opened the door, smirking under her mask as she heard the question behind her. “When did Jihyo have a bathroom put it?”

“Welcome to Jihyo’s Got Buns! I’ll be with you as soon as I can!” Jihyo waved a hand over the crowd at Dahyun. She waved back to be polite. The store looked just as nice as it did whenever Dahyun came, only now it was packed. Different rolls were on display, long loafs of bread assembled into a mini Eiffel Tower, and another new basket held the same muffins that Dahyun was here for.

Dahyun scoffed under her breath. Seems like Jihyo didn’t learn from the last several times. If anything, the basket seemed even closer to the door. Probably because Jihyo accidentally nudged it a little further every time she took a muffin out. She could see Jihyo now, making her way over to the basket and filling it with fresh muffins from a baking tray. Perfect.

“Next in line please?”

As people shuffled forward Dahyun stepped through the line, heading through the small section of tables towards the displays. Close, but not too close. She just had to wait for Jihyo to place her attention elsewhere. Like on the guy at the front of the line.

“Jihyo’s got buns huh? How about you –”

“Sorry, not interested. Would you like anything from the bakery?”

“Aw come on, with a sign like that you’re asking for a good time.”

“There’s also a sign under that one telling you I’m not.” Jihyo crossed her arms.

“I’m not unwelcomed, am I? You could come hang with me.” The boy in front grinned. “I’ll take good care of you.”

Jihyo signed and reached under the counter, tossing out a tiny bun topped with a strawberry glaze. The boy grabbed at it out of reflex but ended up dropping it.

“That’s more than enough of my buns for you, sorry. Looks like you can barely even handle that much. Leave please.”

“You !”

The guy looked as if he were about to try and hop the counter, but the people behind him grabbed him before he could. He lashed out, hitting a few people as he was slammed on to the floor. Jihyo leaned over the counter, worried about her normal patrons. Heads were turning as the guy swore and tried to get up. Dahyun came over to the basket. Nobody paid her any attention, the guy on the floor getting louder and more violent. She picked up the basket and opened the door in one motion, walking out and swiftly heading around the corner.

People happened to be crossing the street and she joined them effortlessly. She hummed a little tune to herself, waving at a little old grandmother who was leaving the grocery store. She offered to help carry some of the bags for a while since they happened to be going the same way. A little while later she was waving goodbye, turning left at the dance studio, walking for a while more, and turning right at the gas station.

She fished out the key on her necklace, letting herself in. The flat was one of many abandoned buildings in the neighborhood, repurposed by her own efforts into something livable. The room was sparse but clean and a decently sized bed took up one corner while a table was in the other, a guitar and countless sketchpads on it. Chaeyoung and Tzuyu were nowhere to be seen.

Dahyun put the basket down, reaching for the guitar and placing her fingers in the way Tzuyu showed her, strumming three times. The girls came out of hiding.

“Thank you Dubs!” Arms held her tightly, she squeezed right back.

“I’ll take your coat unnie. We have some water if you want.”

“Thanks,” Dahyun stood on her toes to pat Tzuyu’s head. “Go eat. I’ll join you guys in a bit.”

---

They were still kids after all, but something or someone had to keep the world out or else they wouldn’t be for long. Dahyun was more than willing to be that someone.

---

It was late but Chaeyoung had said she was hungry. And Dahyun would sooner die than let Chaeyoung, or Tzuyu for that matter, go to sleep hungry again. She considered her options. The stores closest to the house were definitely closed by now and wandering their neighborhood at this time of night was not the best idea. So Dahyun found herself closing in on the bakery yet again. She had never come at night and could only hope it was either still open or easy to break in to.

The curtains were drawn, and the welcome sign was flipped over but the lights were still on. Dahyun crept up to the side door slowly, on the lookout for anyone nearby. The displays were all put away except for the basket, which had a cover on top. All of the tables save for one were cleaned up, their chairs flipped on top. Jihyo and some other person were seated at the table nearest the front door, papers strewn between them.

“But you need to do something about this! It’s been months of the exact same thing over and over!”

“I told you to just drop it. Please.” Jihyo was slumped over the papers, a hand propping up her head as she read through them all. Dahyun slowly pushed the door open. Neither of them saw anything.

“Jihyo listen to me, you can just call the police. You would recognize the girl, wouldn’t you?”

“I would. But we aren’t calling the cops.”

“What is wrong with you?! Those stupid muffins cost you a fortune to make and you’re just letting them walk out the door!”

Dahyun stopped with her hand inches away from the basket. The escalating argument should have been her cue to get the hell out with the food, but something held her back. She glanced quickly at the couple while moving to hide herself, and not a moment too soon.

Jihyo snapped her gaze to the basket and then to the person in front of her, her voice going cold. “Those stupid muffins are the only thing I have from grandma, or did you forget? And I know exactly what I’m doing with them.”

“What do you mean?” Dahyun was thinking the same thing.

“It’s not your problem. Leave it alone.”

“Wait,” Realization filled the voice. “You’re not serious, are you? Why would you let her take them?!”

What?

“You wouldn’t understand, now leave please. I’m trying to get through all this.”

“She’s just some bum, you don’t need to help her.”

“She isn’t a bum.” Jihyo slammed her pen down, but the woman just continued.

“It’s her own fault that she’s on the street, not yours.”

“That doesn’t mean I can’t help!”

“You should take care of yourself first.”

“And what do you know about taking care of me?”

“I’m your mother. Of course, I would know.”

“I’m doing a better job of taking care of myself than you ever have!” She stood up so fast her chair was shoved backwards.  “Now leave!”

“Excuse me?”

“Get the hell out. We’re done.”

“Don’t you dare speak to me like tha –”

“GET OUT!”

Silence fell in the bakery. Dahyun knew she couldn’t be heard but felt the urge to hold her breath anyways. Eventually she heard the scraping of the chair on the floor and the door swinging open.

“Don’t even think about coming home.”

“Last time I checked; my apartment is under my name. I don’t know about any other home you’re talking about.”

The door finally slammed shut. Jihyo was left alone at the table, a shuddering sigh escaping her. The scribbling of her pen filled the empty air and Dahyun slowly breathed out.  She was honestly a little embarrassed – or even ashamed – that she had sat in on the entire private conversation. But more than that she was confused. Why was Jihyo defending her?

“You can join me if you want.” Dahyun flinched at the weary tone in Jihyo’s voice. Never mind the fact that Jihyo knew she was there. “I could use some company.”