Stonehead

Nephalem

Back in the present, it was just another ordinary day in Violent Crimes Department. Well, at least that’s what Kai thought when he woke up this morning to go to the station. But by the time he arrived at the station and about to sit on his desk, he notice a post-it on his monitor, saying, Interrogation Room, ASAP!

 

In confusion, Kai look at his watch. It’s only 9am, and they had a new case already? Furrowing his brows, Kai took off his jacket and headed to the interrogation room.

 

When Kai arrived at the interrogation room, he sees D.O already in there. Kai opened the door as quietly as he could and observe from the side.

 

“Mr. Lee Byung Hun. Did you just said that you had killed Mr. Oh Jon Gyu?” D.O asked while taking notes.

 

“Yes, Mr. Officer. I’ve killed Oh Jon Gyu. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to do it. But, he provoked me.” A middle aged man confessed.

 

“What did the victims do, that makes you kill him?” D.O asked.

 

“He said that I want to take his position in the company, since my proposal for an advertisement project was approved, while his proposal got rejected.”

 

“What did you hit him with?”

 

“A vase.”

 

“Could you tell me what happen at that time?” D.O asked.

 

“I was called to his office and then he started yelled at me. He said that I want to take his position, because my project proposal was accepted. He thinks that I want to make him look bad in front of the CEO. He keeps on rumbling and talking harsh words at me. Then I got angry. I grabbed a vase in his office and hit him with it. Afterwards, he fall to the floor. I panicked so I went out of the room quickly. But now, I had clearer mind and thought that I have to be responsible for what I’ve done.” Lee Byung Hun lowered his head, looking so dejected.

 

Suddenly there’s a knock on the door. Kai opened the door to see Min Kyu standing there with a young man. Min Kyu nod his head at Kai and D.O, saying, “Kai, D.O. I think you should talk to this man. It’s regarding to your new case.”

 

“Okay. We’ll take it over from here.” Kai said while D.O turned his gaze to Byung Hyun and said, “Mr. Lee Byung Hyun, we’ll investigate this case further. For the mean time, I’m afraid you have to stay in our cell, until further notice.”

 

D.O turned to Min Kyu and said, “Please take Mr. Lee Byung Hyun to the cell.”

 

“Got it, D.O.” Min Kyu said and take Byung Hyun with him.

 

After both of them left, D.O gestured for the young man to sit down.

 

“What’s your name?” D.O asked.

 

“My name is Cha Dae Wong. I’m here to turn myself in.” The young man said to D.O.

 

“What is your confession about?” D.O asked.

 

“I have killed Mr. Oh Jon Gyu.” Dae Wong stated.

 

(What?) Kai looked stunned at Dae Wong with widened eyes. (Another murderer?)

 

“Could you tell me about what had happened?” D.O asked.

 

“Yes. I’m working in Sales Promotion Department. While I was working, Mr. Oh Jon Gyu called me to meet him at his office. He said that I’m not compatible to be his rival. He also said that Park Seon Ju is his woman, not mine. Park Seon Ju is my best friend, and she once told me that Mr. Oh Jon Gyu always tried to touch her in unappropriate manner. So, when he said that statement, I was so angry. I grab the vase in his office and strike his head. Afterwards, I left his office and went home.”

 

“I see.” D.O write down Dae Wong statement.

 

“At first, I thought of ignoring the incident, but when I heard Mr. Lee Byung Hun conffessed that he killed Mr. Oh Jon Gyu, I just can’t keep silent anymore. I can’t let innocent man like him to take all the blame for what I’ve done.” Dae Wong continues. “My only regret is I can no longer protect Seon Ju from all of the bad guys out there anymore.”

 

Just when D.O was about to ask something, there’s another knock at the door.

 

“Urghh.. what now?” Kai said grumpily and headed to the door.

 

“Sorry to interrupt, you guys.” Min Kyu looked at Kai and D.O appologetically. “But there’s someone here who ask to see you.”

 

“Does it had anything to do with my case?” D.O glaring at Min Kyu and made him step backwards a bit.

 

“Err. Actually it is.” Min Kyu looks terrified of D.O. “She’s here regarding to Mr. Oh Jon Gyu’s murder.”

 

“Fine! Send her in and take Mr. Cha Dae Wong to cell.” D.O ordered.

 

Min Kyu left with Cha Dae Wong and soon afterwards, he come back with a young woman. She entered the interrogation room and sit after D.O gestured her to sit on the only chair left in the room.

 

“Name?” D.O asked in brief.

 

“Park Seon Ju.”

 

“You’re the one whom Cha Dae Wong talked about earlier!” Kai exclaimed but in an instant, he become silent after he receives death glare from D.O.

 

“Sorry.” Kai said in a low voice.

 

D.O turned his attention back to Park Seo Jun and asked, “How may I help you?”

 

“I’m here to make a confession.” Seo Jun said firmly.

 

“What? You too?” Kai said in shock and earning him another death glare from D.O. “Err… sorry.”

 

“May I finish this interrogation, or do you wish to take over?” D.O said coldly to Kai.

 

“Sorry.” Kai said and made a gesture with his hand as if he’s zipping his mouth tightly.

 

D.O didn’t say anything in his response, instead. he turned his focus back on Seo Jun who’s been fidgeting nervously. “Alright, now. Where were we? Ah, right. You’ve said that you’re here to make a confession, right?” D.O said to Seo Jun.

 

“Yes, Mr. Officer.”

 

“Okay, what confession is it?” D.O asked.

 

“I think I have killed Mr. Oh Jon Gyu.” Seo Jun stated.

 

Kai had to fought the urge to utter something over the statement, really hard. Instead he could only scream it outloud in his mind. (What the hell? Another murderer? Three people confessed in murdering one person. How could it even possible?) Kai shake his head in disbelief.

 

Meanwhile, D.O continued the investigation. “Could you tell me what happened?”

 

“I’m Mr. Oh Jon Gyu’s secretary. He asked me to come to his office, saying that he needs me to do something for him. When I came into his office, he starts to harass me. In my self-defense, I grab the vase in his office and strike his head with it.” Seo Jun explained.

 

“I see.” D.O tapped on his notebook with his pen, looking confused.

 

Kai brace himself to approach D.O and whisper, “Are you planning to make her stay in the cell too, like the other two?”

 

“What options do I had?” D.O whispers back to Kai. “All three of them confess in murdering Oh Jon Gyu. Either one of them is the murderer, or they’re all the murderer. I can’t risk releasing them just like that, after hearing their confession!”

 

“But she’s a woman.” Kai said in low voice.

 

“Just because she’s a woman, it doesn’t mean that she couldn’t be a murderer!” D.O retorted in the same manner.

 

“Urgh, whatever. Just do what you had to do.” Kai finally give in.

 

D.O turned his attention back to Park Seo Jun who didn’t utter anything during their small conversation earlier. “Ms. Park Seo Jun, since you’re confessing for a murder, I’m afraid I have to put you into the cell, until we could solve this case.” D.O explained.

 

“I understand, Mr. Officer. I had realized the consequences, since I’ve decided to make my confession.” Seo Jun nodded.

 

“Now, if you follow me,” D.O stood up and headed to the door, “I’ll take you to the cell myself.” D.O opened the door and wait for Seo Jun to stood up and walk out of the door with her, along with Kai, who’s following them from behind.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Kai slumped himself heavily on his chair, while D.O gently sit down on his.

 

“What a morning.” Kai huffed. “So, our new case is another murder?” Kai turned his gaze to D.O.

 

“As you can see.” D.O shrugged.

 

“What the hell is going on?” Kai took another huff. “How the hell is one person being killed by three person?”

 

“I know one thing for sure.” D.O turned to face Kai who sits on his side. “None of them are lying. They’re all telling the truth.”

 

“How the hell could you be so sure about it?” Kai asked. “Either one of them is lying or all of them are lying or they’re the accomplice of the real murderer.

 

“I don’t think so. I’m sure they’re telling the truth. Each one of them believed that they had killed Oh Jon Gyu.”

 

“It doesn’t make any sense at all.” Kai groaned in frustation.

 

“Since when did our cases make any sense?” D.O raised one of his brows at Kai.

 

“Damn it! You’re right.” Kai admitted grumpily. “None of our cases makes any sense at all.”

 

“By now, what do you think of it?” Kai asked D.O.

 

“I still have no idea at all, not even a bit.” D.O admitted.

 

“Damn, if you don’t have any idea about it, then who would?” Kai groaned. “Do you want to know what I think of it?”

 

“What?” D.O look at Kai curiously.

 

“I think the victim must have a stone-head. You know, his head is so hard to break that he could keep on reviving after his death, over and over again.” Kai laugh at his own lousy jokes.

 

D.O froze in his seats when he heard Kai’s statement.

 

“By the way, what’s the cause of his death?” Kai asked. “Is it blunt force trauma on his head?”

 

“No. It’s a heart attack.” D.O blurt it out. “And that’s make this case even more complicated than it seems to be.”

 

D.O pondered for a little while, trying to connect all the strings together. There’s something about Kai’s words that clicked in his mind, but he can’t seem to pin point it.

 

“Hey, D.O.” Kai asked for D.O’s attention while he’s looking at the case file. “Do you think it’s possible for someone to have a heart attack over blunt force trauma on their head?”

 

“….”

 

Since D.O didn’t utter any words, Kai continues, “As I recall, the only way for someone to have a heart attack over blunt force trauma, if they got hit or punched on their chest, not their head.”

 

“If the victim had blunt chest trauma, then it could made them having Myocardial Infarction, caused by coronary artery injury, right? Even so, it only have the chance of 2% to happens and it’s only happens in a traffic accident.” Kai added on.

 

Having no response from D.O, Kai looked up from the file. (OMG, he’s so damn cute) Kai thought when he sees D.O shocked expression with widened eyes and a slightly parted lips.

 

Kai shake off his thought and look at D.O, worried. “Yo, D.O. Are you okay? Are you feeling sick? Do you want me to take you home?” Kai asked.

 

(Please say yes.. Please say yes… Please say that you want me to take you home…) Kai wished in his mind.

 

Seeing D.O still not responding to him, Kai become more anxious.

 

“Yo, D.O! Earth calling D.O. Earth calling D.O. Are you okay?” Kai looked so worried now.

 

“Huh?” Finally D.O responds.

 

“You…!” Kai huffed a deep breath in relief. “Don’t scare me like that, okay? It’s not funny at all.” Kai pouted.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I was thinking about something.” D.O explained. “There’s something about what you’ve said earlier.”

 

“Huh?” This time, it’s Kai who got confused. “What did I say?”

 

“I feel like I’m missing something about this case, and it really ticks me off.” D.O said. “Let’s head to the advertisement company. There’s someone I need to talk to.” D.O ordered Kai and throwed his car key at Kai, who had successfully catch it.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At The Advertisement Company…

 

“Excuse me, what floor is The Sales Promotion Department?” Kai asked the receptionist as soon as they arrived at the company.

 

“May I know the purpose of your coming, sir?” The receptionist asked Kai politely.

 

“We’re police officers.” Both Kai and D.O showed their badge.

 

“I see. The Sales Promotion Department is on 19th floor, sir.” The receptionist answered. “But you have to write down your name in the guest’s list and leave your ID in exchange for visitor’s ID.”

 

“Okay. Here.” They give their ID to the receptionist and received their visitor’s ID.

 

“Thank you, sir. To get to the 19th floor, you can use elevator number 3.” The receptionist pointed at one of four elevators which located at the right side of the receptionist desk.

 

“Thanks.” Kai thanked the receptionist and head to the elevator with D.O.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After arriving on 19th floor, D.O and Kai asked to meet with any staff of Sales Promotion Department. After a while, a middle aged man came to the receptionist desk on 19th floor and greeted them.

 

“Good afternoon, I’m Kim Jong Woon.” The man introduce himself to D.O and Kai. “The receptionist said that you ask to meet with the staff of Sales Promotion Department? How may I help you?”

 

“Afternoon, Sir. I’m D.O and this is Kai. We would like to ask some questions, if you don’t mind.” D.O said.

 

“Oh, it must be in regards to Mr. Oh Jon Gyu’s incidents, right?”

 

“Yes.” D.O simply said.

 

“Okay, if you follow me, we could talk in our conference room, right these way.” Jong Woon gesturing D.O and Kai to follow him.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

In The Conference Room…

 

“Do you want something to drink? Could I get you anything?” Jong Woon asked.

 

“No thanks. We won’t take your time for too long.” D.O refuse the offer.

 

“Okay. So what do you want to know?”

 

“In the incident, who’s the first one to find Mr. Oh Jon Gyu’s corpse?” D.O asked.

 

“That would be me.”

 

“You’re the one who find him?” D.O asked to reconfirm Jong Woon’s statement.

 

“Yes, I am.

 

“Then, could you tell me what happened?”

 

“I was going to his office to get his signatures over some documents. But when I entered his office, I found him laying on the floor with his hands holding his chest.”

 

“Did he have a heart disease?”

 

“Yes, he did. He once had a heart attack, therefore he had to take his heart medicine regularly on daily basis.” Jong Woon explained. “That reminds me, in the morning, when I see him to discuss about a project, he’s having a heart attack, but after he take his medicine, he got better.”

 

“I see. Did he always carry around his heart medicine with him?” D.O asked again.

 

“Yes. He’s totally depending on his heart medicine, so he always carry it around inside a small bottle which attached with a necklace and wore it everywhere.”

 

“You mean, this small bottle?” D.O asked while showing a picture of Jon Gyu’s corpse.

 

“Yes, that’s it.” Jong Woon confirmed it firmly.

 

“Did he had any relatives?” D.O asked.

 

“His only relative is his wife, Lee Mi Sook. They didn’t have any children.”

 

“Did they get along?”

 

“They used to get along just fine, but lately… maybe not.”

 

“How’s that?”

 

“Maybe because she found out about her husband’s obessession with Ms. Park Seon Ju.” Jong Woon shrugged. “I’m not quite sure about it though, but I once heard their argument that happened inside his office, since it was so loud, for not to be heard of.”

 

“I see. Well, that would be all for now.” D.O stood up and shake hands with Jong Woon. “Thank you for your cooperation.”

 

“No problem at all, officer. If you happen to have anything else to ask me, you can call me anytime. Here’s my business card.” Jong Woon gave his business cards to D.O and Kai, before he walked them outside the department, and went back to his work.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Now what?” Kai asked when both of them are inside the car.

 

“Wait.” D.O fished out his phone from his pocket and dialled a number.

 

“Hello? Forensic Dep—”

 

“Hello, Baek?” D.O cuts off Baek Hyun’s greeting.

 

“Hey, D.O. What’s up?” Baek Hyun asked cheerfully.

 

“Do you still have Oh Jon Gyu’s belongings with you?” D.O asked impatiently.

 

“Err… yes. But which one are you talking about?”

 

“Do you see a small bottle in his belongings?”

 

“A small bottle?” Baek Hyun asked to reconfirm.

 

“Yes, it supposed to be attached with a necklace or some sort of it.”

 

“Hold on.”

 

D.O could vaguely heard Baek Hyun rummaging over a few things at the other end of the phone line. After a while, Baek Hyun back to the phone and said, “I’ve found it. What do you want me to do about it.”

 

“Please check the residual substance inside that bottle and let me know the result as soon as possible.” D.O requested.

 

“Got it. You’ll have the result on your desk, by the time you’re back at the office.”

 

“Thanks, Baek.” D.O thanked Baek Hyun and hangs up.

 

Meanwhile, Kai who’s been listening to the conversation quietly, finally asked, “So, we’re back at the office?”

 

“Yes. Step on it. I need to know the result. If my quess is correct, then we’ll finally solved this case.” D.O ordered.

 

“Yes, Sir.” Kai started the engine and drive off to the station.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At the station, D.O hastily went to his desk to check the test result from Baek Hyun. After scanning it for 5 seconds, a smile start to form at the corner of his lips.

 

D.O looked up and said, “Kai, tell Min Kyu to release our suspects and ask for an arrest warrant for Mrs. Lee Mi Sook.”

 

“On what charges?” Kai asked while he picked up his phone.

 

“For murdering her husband.” D.O smirked.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Case Closure :

 

“Hey, D.O.” Kai asked cautiously. “Do you mind telling me, what makes you think that Mrs. Lee Mi Sook is the murderer? I mean, we have 3 suspects who confessed they had killed Mr. Oh Jon Gyu, but you’re saying, none of them is guitly, but his wife?”

 

“Simple, because they’re not the murderer. They’re innocent.” D.O shrugged.

 

“What makes you so sure that they’re innocent?” Kai asked again.

 

“Stonehead.” D.O answered in brief.

 

“Huh?” Kai even looks more confused now. “Stonehead?”

 

“Yeah. Remember what you’re saying before? You’ve said it yourself. Stonehead.” D.O repeated his answer.

 

“Are you saying that all three of them hit the victim on his head, but he didn’t die of it?” Kai asked.

 

“Well, you’re the one who said that it’s only have 2% chance for someone who got hit on his head to have a heart attack, right?”

 

“Well, generally, yes. But, he was hit three times in his head. How do you explain that?” Kai asked curiously.

 

“They’re all indeed hit the victim’s head with a vase, But their confession isn’t in chronogical order.” D.O said. When D.O still see the confused looks on Kai’s face, he added, “Simply said, the order of his hitting did not the same with their confession.”

 

“First, the victim got hit on his head when he tried to harras Park Seo Jun, but he didn’t die at that time. After he passed out for a while, he got up and called for Cha Dae Wong to come to his office. Second, due to anger because he got rejected by Park Seo Jun, he blamed it on Cha Dae Wong, thinking that Cha Dae Wong is the reason why Park Seo Jun rejected him, and therefore, he got the second hit on his head. Third, after having his head being hit twice, made Mr. Oh Jon Gyu became so angry and he want vent off his steam over someone, that’s why Lee Byung Hun was called to meet him. Being provoked by the victim, Lee Byung Hun hit the victim’s head and went home.”

 

“If that’s the correct chronological order, then Lee Byung Hun is the last person who met the victims alive.” Kai stated in shock.

 

“Not quite. Afterwards, there’s another person who could have met him, because Oh Jon Gyu was still alive after the third hit on his head.” D.O said to Kai. “Keep in your mind, that Oh Jun Gyu died of heart attack, not by blunt force trauma.”

 

“Then who is his murderer? How did it happen?” Kai asked again.

 

“Medicine.”

 

 

“Huh?”

 

“As someone who’s totally depends on his medicine, Oh Jon Gyu couldn’t possibly left his medicine container be empty. And it’s confirmed by Jong Woon that the container was indeed filled with his heart medicine, right?”

 

“Uh huh. So?”

 

“So… if you were him, as a person who’s being totally dependable on your medicine, which you had cautiously made sure that your medicine was stored safely inside the container, what makes you had a heart attack?” D.O asked.

 

“Err… because I didn’t have my medicine. Because I didn’t take my medicine in time?” Kai answered.

 

“Okay, now, for the first reason. When you carry around your medicine, wrapped in your neck, would it be possible for you, not to notice that the bottle is empty?” D.O asked again. It’s impossible not to notice if you run out of your medicine, right?”

 

“Err… I guess so.”

 

“As for the second reason, you didn’t take the medicine in time.” D.O added. “As for someone who had taken the medicine regularly on a daily basis, would it be possible for you to run out your medicine, but not noticing it?”

 

“No?” Kai answered with uncertainty laced in his voice.

 

“Yes, it’s impossible, unless the victim did not take his real medicine during his heart attack, which leads him into having a heart attack.”

 

“Are you saying that his medicine was switched by someone?” Kai asked in surprise.

 

D.O nodded as his response and continues, “It was impossible to be switched by our three suspects, since the victim always wear it around his neck. Except for someone.”

 

“… His wife!” Kai practically screamed outloud.

 

“Hey, don’t be too loud, okay.” D.O scolded. “It’s not even too surprising to think about it.”

 

“So, you asked me to get an arrest warrant for Lee Mi Sook earlier, based on these facts?”

 

“Not quite. I also have evidence. I’m not the type of person who solely acts without evidence.” D.O stated firmly.

 

“There’s evidence of it?” Kai asked. “But the case file didn’t mention anything about the evidence.”

 

“Because by the time the case file was written, no one find the evidence, until it was found recently, by me.” D.O smirked in his arrogance.

 

“You found the evidence? When? I was with you all this time, but I don’t see you getting some evidence at all.” Kai protested.

 

“I have the evidence, but I didn’t have it with me earlier.”

 

“Then who has it?”

 

“Baek Hyun.”

 

“Baek Hyun?”

 

“Yes. He has it with him and I asked him to do the test result on the victim’s medicine container. As as I suspected, there were another medicine stored inside the bottle. And it’s not the victim’s medicine. It’s just some kind of gastrointestinal medicine.”

 

“It was the same medicine that Mrs. Lee Mi Sook had to take for her indigestion. Therefore, she’s the murderer.” D.O shrugged.

 

“Whoa. I would never have thought that she is the real murderer.” Kai shaked his head in disbelief.

 

“Well, Kai, we’ve all got the power in our hands to kill, but most people are afraid to use it. Despite of this fact, there are some people out there, who aren’t afraid to kill, and it’s our job to stop them.” D.O said to Kai.