02:

No matter what
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
YEJI  

The weather is very good so Lia and I decided to go out and have a little walk. The sun is not too harsh, it's just perfectly kissing our skin warmly.

 

Lia's happily looking at the beautiful flowers and I happily watch her do that. Her smile is so priceless, I want to be able to see those precious bright smile forever if I could. She easily gets happy over simple things and that's one of the things I love about her.

 

She turned around to me and it seemed like those movie scenes where everything goes slow motion " let's go to the bridge! " she excitedly said and immediately drag me towards where she wanted to go. I didn't argue, I have no intention of saying no. I would always say yes to her.

 

We run towards the bridge, we're now pretty far away from the house. She lets go of my hand and happily spun around, giggles a bit as her dress lifts up a bit as she does that— she looks ethereal.

 

" be careful " I reminded her as I walk slowly, following her skips. 

 

I'm happy that Lia looks happy today, she's really in a good mood which puts me on a good mood as well. I would always prefer this kind of aura on Lia than her sad and pained one. Pain doesn't suit Lia, she's made to be happy and I hate the fact that a tragedy has tainted that.

 

There were kids underneath the bridge, blowing bubbles in the air and that makes Lia even more excited. Her eyes forming into a crescent-like moon and her perfectly pearl white teeth are showing as she smiles widely. It made me smile as well.

 

I could watch Lia forever without getting tired of it. If I could choose something that I have to do for the rest of my life, it would be looking at this happy looking Lia. I would trade everything I have for this sight of smiling Lia, her smile is more expensive than anything in this world for me.

 

As I watch her play around, I notice white halos starting to form around the light of the sun and slowly, my vision began to get foggy. I stopped from following Lia and immediately hold on to the railing of the bridge, turning my back away from Lia.

 

I softly grunt as I feel my eyes severely throbbing, I gripped even harder on the railing as the fear slowly builds inside me. I tried to blink my eyes, fast and strong, hoping that it would shoo away the feeling.

 

" Yeji-ah! " I hear Lia shout my name. With my still blurry vision, I turned back to her with a smile on my lips, trying to hide what's going on with me " Yeji-ah! "

 

I tried to go over where her voice is coming, if I couldn't use my eyes properly right now then I have to use my ears to come where she is. I slowly take steps towards where her voice is coming from, my hands were shaking but I still tried to look normal.

 

" Yeji-ah! " on her third shout, I started to feel anxious and scared. I can't get where she is, I feel lost. If this continues, I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to find my way towards her when she calls my name. I'm afraid to get lost.

 

I have glaucoma, it is a condition that causes damage to the eye's optic nerve and gets worse over time. My father's side has this kind of condition and it turns out that I, unfortunately, inherited it. In my case, I'm irreparable.

 

It started with the loss of my peripheral vision until my vision begins to often get foggy, I thought it was nothing so I ignored it. I didn't know it was the first stages of this condition, that it's one of the symptoms of it. 

 

I softly heaved when I felt a hug behind me, I knew it's Lia so it immediately sent relief on my heart. I didn't find her but I'm thankful she found me. I hope she could always find me when the time comes.

 

" I was calling for you " I softly whine " I asked the kids to blow more bubbles so they did! " she proudly said, showing off how she bosses around the kids we didn't even know.

 

" really? " I asked.

 

She hummed and nodded her head on my back " look! " I felt her one arm left my waist " it's beautiful, right? " she asked and I nodded my head, pretending that I could see what she's pointing at. I wish I can see what she finds beautiful but I can't right now, this blurry vision of mine could last a few more minutes before it comes back to normal. It's always like that.

 

She held my hand " touch it " she said and guided my hand towards the bubble, I felt it pop on my fingertips. 

 

One realization suddenly came up to me— I wouldn't mind permanently losing my sight if Lia would always find me if I get lost and couldn't find my way back to her, if she would guide me every time and if I could hear her voice clearly like right now.

 

It's okay if I lose my sight but I wish I will never lose my hearing because I know I won't be able to handle it if I can't hear Lia's voice ever again. If ever I permanently lose my sight at least God hopefully would spare my sense of hearing.

 

I thought my vision would go back to normal after a few minutes like it usually does but it doesn't and instead, my head started to ache and it's unbearable. I couldn't hide my pain from Lia and she quickly notices how my face change—

 

" are you okay? " she worriedly asked. I hate making her worry.

 

" yes, it's just... my head hurts so bad right now " I honestly said, giving her a weak smile.

 

I felt her caress my face and even I couldn't see her clearly, I knew how worried her eyes are right now " you should have told me earlier, let's go back now " she said.

 

I nodded my head, I wouldn't disagree on that idea. I want to just lay down or sit down and rest for now.

 

On our way back to the house, I held onto Lia's hand tightly. Walking in the field never felt so scary until now, I can't see the wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter