Stay with me

Stay with me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: 

Please go easy on me, my first one shot after a long, long time of not having the inspiration/motivation to write! Inspired by the music video by Tove Styrke’s Sway, so if you’d like an idea of what I wanted to depict in this story, check out the video. Enjoy, and feedback is much appreciated!

——

Sweaty bodies, indecipherable voices, steady thumping of the bass, unmistakeable stench of weed and alcohol — a typical Friday night college party indeed.

Jungeun doesn’t like parties. She kind of hates them actually. It’s loud, it’s an excuse for frat boys to be even more obnoxious, and meaningful conversations are pretty non-existent as voices get drowned by the loud music. Just not her scene, that’s all.

The dance floor was damn crowded, and Jungeun gave up on trying to join her friends who were already deep into their buzz, deep into the euphoria drunk dancing can induce. She’s not really sober and she enjoys dancing, but for now, she finds too much comfort lounging around on this beat-up couch. She indulges and sinks into the softness of it, takes out her phone and starts mindlessly scrolling through social media.

“There’s a whole party out here, and you choose your phone?” Jungeun hears someone say; she wasn’t sure if it was directed at her, until she looks up and sees a really, really beautiful girl standing right in front of her. Blonde, cheeks slightly flushed, the shine of sweat evident on her exposed collar bones, curves all in the right places.

Jungeun makes eye contact, confusion obvious, her alcoholic buzz not really helping.

The blonde girl smiles, before plopping on the couch right next to her, a bit too close for comfort. Given the small distance, Jungeun can smell a combination of something sweet, something musky, with hints of alcohol emanating from the girl. It was intoxicating. Maybe she’s more inebriated than she thought.

“I’m Jinsoul,” the girl says, before knocking Jungeun’s phone off her hand, only to be replaced with a red cup. Jinsoul notices the subtle shake of Jungeun’s head, a subtle refusal, but Jinsoul raises her eyebrows at her, nudging her to take a swig. Jungeun is good at a lot of things, but refusing pretty girls — impossible.

Jinsoul smiles at her as she winces from the disgusting taste. “I’m Jungeun,” she finally quips. She wasn’t expecting to make friends nor talk to any stranger tonight, but no one can deny, misery loves company.

They don’t really talk for the next several minutes or so. Just both pairs of eyes directed towards the front, passively observing people swaying their bodies to the beat. It was almost entrancing. Jungeun can definitely tell that she’s more on the drunken end of the spectrum now; she feels sluggish, her heart is pounding, she feels a slight headache at the back of her head, but it’s overshadowed by the alcohol-induced euphoria that’s making everything move seemingly slower.

Suddenly, she feels herself being pulled up, Jinsoul’s hand firmly grasping hers. Her eyes trace their clasped hands, running them over Jinsoul’s smooth arm, to her shoulder, collarbones, her gorgeous face. Before she even knows it, Jinsoul is already leading her towards the crowd.

They’re immediately engulfed by bodies, sweat, and heat, but Jungeun’s senses are drowned in Jinsoul as their bodies get pushed together, amidst the movement of people around them. Faces, bodies, sounds around them are blurred, but Jungeun can count every eyelash the taller girl has, and they’re pressed so close, and Jinsoul is smiling, smirking at her, as she places both her hands around Jungeun’s neck, gyrating to the beat of the bass.

It felt like a blur, and she has no idea how long they danced for. With every song, Jungeun’s inhibitions are let loose, and she’s maybe enjoying it all too much. She’s worked up a sweat herself, and it’s gotten really, really hot, to the point of uncomfortable, and she’s finally getting pulled back to the world of sobriety.

She’s not sure where her confidence came from, but she knows she doesn’t want the night to end just quite yet. Jungeun places her hips firmly on the taller girl, making her still her movements for a moment.

“Let’s get out of here.”

Jinsoul locks eyes with her for a fraction of a second, maybe Jungeun saw something else there, but she’s not quite sure. A few moments later, and they’re navigating through the crowd, and out the door.

Jinsoul audibly exhales in the cold night air of New York. Jungeun feels her lips tug upwards at the sight. “It feels so good out here!” Jinsoul exclaims, eyes closed, arms out, just appreciating the lack of griminess and suffocating musk they were just in a couple minutes ago.

It kinda gets awkward, when Jungeun realizes she’s the one that asked for them to leave the party, but she hasn’t quite thought of what was to come afterwards. She’s not sure what Jinsoul wants either, and Jungeun is awfully bad at reading people. If one follows by the book, it usually progresses to two bodies entangled on some mattress somewhere, and Jungeun would be lying if she insists she didn’t want that, but she wants Jinsoul to be much more than just a messy one night stand followed by an awkward blur of morning goodbyes.

Jinsoul hasn’t said anything, and so Jungeun assumes the other girl is waiting for her to make the move. Jinsoul has made all the moves all night, it’s only fair she makes a play for once.

“Wanna grab some food?” Maybe that’s not what Jinsoul expected, and maybe that’s why she’s laughing. And it might not be Jungeun’s best attempt at making something happen after she meets someone interesting, but a grumbling stomach is imposs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter