The meeting...

Eyes wide shut

Anna still couldn’t spell any word and the same feeling she had this morning ate her all up; she was staring at the water drops sliding on his forehead trying to reach his eyes and sooner than she realized she found herself wiping them away. Her hand froze up in the air and her eyes doubled as he leaned over and kissed her. She aimlessly blinked twice but instead of breaking the kiss, she actually deepened it, taking a really good taste of his salty lips. 
They kissed like that until they ran out of air, but as soon as the spell broke, Anna quickly turned around to flee. He caught her hand pulling her into an even deeper kiss than before. She had no explanation why she couldn’t step away from him, but her math was already done: he had no idea who she was, he was Asian so definitely was there for some holiday or something, so the chances to meet each-other ever again were basically non-existent AND she had to leave in less than three hours so… why not? She had no idea when they reached such a familiar hotel room, but his body wouldn’t give her the time to tumble on that insignificant detail; she decided she will totally give in his kisses and touches, which, contrary to what she believed that ‘the first time’ would be, they felt so warm and ‘the right thing’. 
Who would’ve thought that the next day after turning 18 she’ll be… Her eyes suddenly doubled. It was so much quietness in the room. All she could hear was a heart beating. Was it hers?... No! she lowered her eyes a little and acknowledged her position: she was laying on his bare chest listening to his heart and he was playing with a strand of her hair.
‘W- What… what just happened here??’ she suddenly thought only now realizing what she’s done, discreetly looking around without moving one inch. 
He smiled – his eyes were closed and yet he could only see the silent darkness. It was so comfortable… 
All of a sudden ‘Kiki, do you love me’ started playing, breaking the silence. Anna jumped up in less than a fraction of a second, making him almost laugh. When she got up, she also took the sheet to cover herself up, but that left him totally exposed so she quickly threw it back on him, this time really stealing the brightest giggle she ever heard. He covered himself also getting up. While she quickly put back on the oversized t-shirt he found her cellphone still asking if Kiki loved him. 
“Ah, t-thank you” she quickly mumbled trying to hide her shiver when she took it from his hands. “Um… hello!” she managed to keep her posture after swiping up to take the call. 
He leaned on a corner of a nightstand to eye follow her with a smile on his face. 
“Umm.. yeah... I know… I… I am already here... I’ll be right there…” she spoke as she gathered all of her belongings, shoving them inside the large beach bag.
He quickly sat up when she dashed towards the door, but they almost hit each other because she turned around to greet him with a speedy, short bow and one whispered “I am sorry” then she got lost behind the white door.     
“Well, that’s something you don’t see every day” he spoke out loud, softly laughing. He warped the sheet tighter around his body and got out on the balcony, probably trying to catch a glimpse of Anna. He waited there, leaning on the parapet until his eyes became heavy again. He closed them hoping for the silent darkness once more. Like in an old movie, he could see his wife throwing away her wedding ring, screaming and crying. He frowned looking for his heart to calm it down with his hand. He squeezed it hard trying to breath when the woman fell again on the shattered glass and the two gunshots brought back the thud and the pain in the back of his head. His eyes were now bloodshot and if he wouldn’t still hold his heart, it felt like it was trying to rip up his chest and jump out. He stumbled back inside the room; rushed to a black handbag from under the bed. With disheveled movements he looked for something inside it and froze after a couple of seconds. He took out of the bag a small, unmarked vial. He stared at it for a while falling on his bottom. The pain in the back of his head reminded him what we were about to do, so he gathered up all of his strength to get back up. He swooped inside the bathroom, frenetically looking for the first-aid kit. He found it soon enough and smiled when he checked its insides. He took out a small syringe; filled it up with the contents of the vial and quickly injected it in his really visible right hand’s veins. He fell on the toilet seat; grabbed his head in his hands, closing his eyes. 


Anna as soon as she exited the room realized she was actually inside her hotel. She rolled around a couple of times to understand on what floor was she, then quickly climbed down two more stories to reach her room. She was shaking and her eyes were burning. She took a deep breath, praying that her inside feelings would stay invisible and won’t show on the outside too. She opened the door.
“Are you insane?!!” Veronica snapped as soon as she saw her.
“I’m sorry! I lost track of time!” Anna rushed to throw her bag inside the luggage Veronica was already packing. “Did she… did she realized I was missing?” she tried to not give her friend an opportunity to ask something else.
“No. I told her you’re with your monthly pains… but…” Veronica grabbed her hands to face her. “Was it worth it?”
“W-w-what?...” Anna blushed as if she was Bashful from Snow White.
“Oh my God!!” Veronica yelled. “Are you serious?!!” 
“About what?” their teacher entered the room. 
“Umm… oh…” Anna almost lost it.
“Nothing…” Veronica smiled. “She’s so slow in packing and I got a little angry” she said nudging her. 
“C’mon! let’s go!” the teacher said inspecting the room.  

***


Class 12-A, the classroom was filled with tall, pretty young girls and merely 2 boys, all of them listening to their teacher or even lively attending the talk about the last summer’s camp. 
Every time someone mentioned the words ‘last summer’ or even simple ‘summer’ Anna’s heart would shake and shutter and throw a soft pink shade on her cheeks. No matter how many times Veronica and her friends would try to find out why she never gave up her secret and always set up this seriousness of hers to the ‘being older and more responsible from now on’ theory – she was indeed the oldest in her class and the smartest, close to a nerd actually… well, ok, this image was also due to the big, casual glasses and baggy clothes she always wore. Even though she was seated in the first bench, facing the entrance, she was doodling something on her notebook trying to keep her head away from the discussion, only throwing a smile or approval when she felt Veronica’s eyes on her. 
The bell rang. 
“Finally!” Veronica skipped .
“Oh, come on! Am I that boring?” the form master laughed out loud, playfully smacking Veronica’s head.       
“Oh, no, not at all!!” Veronica quickly denied it, waving her hands.
She seemed like a quite opposite person from the one last summer – her clothes were still tight showing off her body, but the makeup was almost absent, just a reddish lipstick and mascara.
“It’s just that this was our last class and I’m starving!” she smiled widely. “Can’t wait to get back home and eat…”
“No, really?” the teacher crossed her arms on the chest, and they all knew they were about to get in trouble. “So it was true, then, huh?” 
“W-what do you mean? Veronica’s babbled and her classmates exchanged looks. 
“You all fled last English class, didn’t you?!” 
“Oh… umm… yeah…” Veronica couldn’t find her words so Anna came to her aid:
“Yes… but we did wait for 35 minutes before leaving…”
“Did you now?” the teacher pierced her eyes. “That’s why he couldn’t find any of you at merely 12:15…”
“Yeah well…” it was Anna’s time to lose her words.
“HE?” Veronica interfered. “He as in a male teacher?” she brightly smiled. “As in handsome, young, tall… male teacher?” she kept on grinning. 
“All of the above” the teacher ruffled Veronica’s hair, then turning to Anna: “Don’t let it happen again or I’ll have you responsible for it! Got it?” she pocked Anna’s head, with a triumphal smile on her face.
Anna simply nodded and smiled back.
“Ah! That was close!” Veronica sighed after the teacher left the classroom. 
“Yeah…” Anna replied.
“But then again, we might get a reason to stop skipping English now…” Veronica’s excitement started to spread throughout the entire room.
“Do you trust her?”  Anna cooled her off.   “She’s like 60… even a 50s’ would look young for her” she enjoyed seeing her desk mate face drop. She couldn’t chuckle on her joy for long because the bell announced the beginning of the class and the doorknob already turned. 
For an unknown reason, her heart started skipping beats, turning her left arm numb. 
“Are you ok?” Veronica noticed her rubbing her arm. 
“Umm… I guess so…” she meant to whisper back when the door opened.
They all sat up, greeting. 
Two hot tears sliced Anna’s cheeks while her hands automatically grabbed the edge of the desk – the two dark-brown, almond eyes stared at her as lost as they were exactly one month, 2 weeks and three days ago.