Chapter 14

Prince of Hearts

As they rode towards their target, Jinki couldn't help but stare at the expression of utter determination on Jonghyun's face. Jonghyun was looking straight ahead, and Jinki would have given away everything to possessed to find out what Jonghyun was thinking about. With macho toughness oozing out of his every pore, Jonghyun was really irresistible to Jinki at that moment. Once they reached their destination and tied their horses, Jinki unwound the rope around his waist and made a loop before throwing it towards the castle wall. Pulling on the snagged rope to check its strength, Jinki climbed it swiftly and stretched out his hand to Jonghyun who surprised him with his climbing skills. As Jinki started to take away everything that seemed valuable, he saw Jonghyun approaching the royal chamber, his sword unsheathed. Not knowing whether he should follow him or not, Jinki stood transfixed to that one spot, just pondering on what he should do next. Following his heart, Jinki ran after Jonghyun, only to find him pointing his sword at his captor, who was hiding behind a sheet, terror written all over his face. 

"Did you really think I would let you live, after what you did?"

"I beg of you to spare my life"

"By the time I'm finished with you, you'd be begging for the opposite"

"Who..who are you?"

Jinki gasped out loud when Jonghyun tore off his disguise and stood over his intended victim, his sword poised to strike.

"Prince Jonghyun, I swear I didn't mean to kidnap your husband. We just wanted to hold him for ransom. We weren't going to hurt him at all"

"You dared to kidnap the one I love. I demand satisfaction"

Jinki felt a shiver down his spine when he heard Jonghyun say that he wanted satisfaction. Satisfaction meant that they would duel, to the death. Though Jonghyun had never been defeated in combat, Jinki really didn't want to risk losing his husband. Silently slipping into the chamber, Jinki touched Jonghyun's shoulder to pull him away. Shocked as he felt his husband tremble with fury, he grabbed his arm and pulled him out of the room, but not before Jonghyun used his sword. The muted scream made Jinki look up, only to see that Jonghyun had slashed the man's tunic. 

"You will come to Prince Jinki's estate tomorrow evening. Bring a substitute"

Jonghyun almost growled with fury as he gazed upon the weasel-like creature who by now was sniveling. If Jinki hadn't stopped him, Jonghyun knew he would have stabbed him or slit his throat for sure. Taking the heavy sack from Jinki, Jonghyun threw it back into the chamber he had just exited, before taking his husband's hand as they walked towards their horses. It was already daybreak by the time they reached the castle, and all inhabitants had been frantically looking for them. Calling for a bath, Jonghyun escorted a tired Jinki to his chamber and his hair until he fell asleep. What he was looking forward to the most, was the duel where he would show everyone what happens if they tangled with him or someone he loved. His black mood seemed to be really obvious as even the servants stayed as far away from him as possible. The steaming water of the bath seemed to soothe him somehow, and after scrubbing his skin as hard as he could, Jonghyun retired to his chamber to get a few hours rest. It was the rule to always have a substitute, just in case something happened. Since he couldn't risk Jinki again, Taemin would have to be the substitute. Just looking at the lad's face as he fought would be more than enough motivation for Jonghyun to win. He wasn't ready to risk anyone else's safety except for his own. Something about Jinki's white face made him wish he hadn't demanded satisfaction, but it was his duty to go through with it. 

Jinki couldn't bear to think of what was going to happen. He had woken up feeling a sense of dread and wished his husband hadn't been so stupid. All Jinki could do now was to hope and pray for the best. Smiling at Taemin's solemn, serious expression, Jinki knew that he would be traveling to his estate along with them. After dining together, Jonghyun asked one of the stable hands to drive the coach to Jinki's estate as they all needed to rest a little more. They reached about the same time as his opponent, who had smartly arrived with his accomplice in the kidnapping. Since this wasn't an official duel, there were absolutely no rules which made Jonghyun doubly sure that his opponents would try anything they could to either kill him or escape with their lives. He watched Jonghyun step into the arena with his sword held high as his first opponent did the same, trembling. Closing his eyes as he heard the two sword clashing, Jinki felt the dread increasing tenfold.

Careful not to let his fury mar his style of fighting, Jonghyun kept a close eye on his opponent who kept jumping and weaving around.

"Just stay still and fight like a man"

"So that you can put your sword through me? I'd rather not"

All this jumping around made Jonghyun feel slightly dizzy, but he still endured it. Trusting his instincts to tell him where this blackguard would move next, Jonghyun quickly disarmed him. Just watching this, the weasel's substitute escaped before anyone else could help it. However, Jonghyun still kept his eyes focused on his target who was on his back by now, begging for mercy. Mercy which Jonghyun really didn't think he deserved. After all, they were fighting to the death. As Jonghyun raised his sword to deliver the final blow, he felt a hand stop him. Looking into Jinki's pleading face, Jonghyun relented a little and lowered his sword.

"Jonghyun, please don't do this. He has been punished enough. Come back home with me and let me love you as you should be loved"

Those words and the expression on Jinki's face touched Jonghyun's heart. Nodding to the cowering man to leave peacefully, Jonghyun brought Jinki's hand to his lips and kissed it, before leading him back to the carriage, followed by Taemin.

"I don't know how I've managed to live without you for so many years. All I know is that I cannot spend even a moment without you, Jinki"