Like Sisters

Our Love Story: The Chobom Timeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was freezing. Their senses picked up on this first when the six women got off the plane. Waking up six hours prior in the night just to sleep some more and get here; the grogginess was rightfully there. The temperature permeated through the terminal reminding them where they are.

In the cold, but early, spring.

This time their return was not a secret. Some fans eagerly awaited their arrival out front, and the dedication made it feel just a little warmer. Seeing their fans when they come home… They all must have been waiting long. 

Head tilted down in her hoodie and hiding behind sunglasses, Chorong was in her sweatpants, falling into some steps behind her members. 

Click, snap, flash, went the camera photography. Her eyes went over them with a faint smile, receiving those letters from Pandas, fansites and familiar faces, "Thank you, thank you." Their managers made sure to keep the space between them as they walked and talked. 

Bomi had walked ahead in a sort of early delight. Not at her most energetic, but she was bright, conversing with fans like usual.  

"Omo! Don't you need it?" Bomi's voice rang out, holding a hot pack back to a Panda. 

"No, it's for you, Bomi noona. Because it's cold."

"Aw thank you!" 

 

It left something to be desired on Chorong's end. Specifically, how un-fun she felt right now. Or maybe she was just tired. 

Why did it feel a little depressing to come home to the cold after a few days in the beautiful skies, sand and sea of a foreign country? Loving before reality comes back. 

Loving before they work on their comeback, missing their fans, greeting them again… but this time, and she doesn't want to admit it herself… that this thing she's been hiding has gotten stronger. 

She's hiding what's changed in her relationship with her member; That things have changed between them. 

The feelings that sparked of last night resided in her mind. They've surely grown into adults. The time she worked hard to slow, to breathe in and out, it suddenly accelerated. And there was a part of her refusing to believe… how happy she had felt there. 

To think, they could have walked around public spaces and maybe get some looks, but otherwise there was not much to care about. They were just two people. Two women. No one had to think anything of their relationship.

And it's not the first time they've hung out like that before, just the two of them. 

In those days, it was fine… Having chicken and beer by the Han river, just the two of them, as friends. They could still hang out like that. Even still, hanging out should be fine. 

But for Chorong, another reality hit when they reached home. It hit her finally. Now, realising, what was the next step for them? What did they stop themselves from getting into by the end of that night? She wasn't ready at all to progress either. But they've never even talked about that before. 

That thing. Clothes, bodies, touching… No, no, no, no, what? This is Bomi. She can't be looking at her like that. That's… indecent. 

But lovers feel each other, kiss, make love. Friends do not. 

To accept that with Bomi, feeling something more could happen if they want this. She can't have a part of her refusing to believe in them. Still, trying to look at Bomi as if she isn't that attractive person.

 

——

 

"Good, good. Like sisters. Cool sisters. Now, looking over here…" the photographer praised as the camera made its clicks with the music pounding in the studio. 

There's been many a time when Chorong and Bomi have been mistaken for each other, but being asked for a photoshoot with just the two of them was new. 

They were being styled side by side outside of their group activities, professionally. This magazine was appreciating the two members together as their models. With their known Tom-and-Jerry chemistry, there shouldn't be anything nervous for them about this; Chorong only had to be told to relax when her movements were rigid. 

Of course. Nothing bad was going to happen. Nothing bad would happen at all. 

Going to schedules with members always gave Chorong that emotional support, and going with Bomi anywhere was bound to be fun. So then, amidst all the butterflies and cheesy grins, why did something not sit quite right in Chorong this day? 

Is… Is that weird? Like sisters huh…

"Look at each other please."

Chorong obeyed the moment and peered at Bomi, each of them safely covered in dark sunglasses. The tension that came with being less than a metre apart or even to touch Bomi's hand was ridiculous. They weren't normally like this. Chorong felt incredibly self-aware. 

It bewildered her more that it went unnoticed. 

Do they not see that? It doesn't feel like sisters. Not at all. And this is what Chorong was having to deal with. 

Sisters… What if I don't see her that way? 

The schedule was going across easily with Bomi, although it was really hard not to break into a smile at times. They had to look serious for this concept. The two members went through a few clothing changes, to show off the twin style collections that fit them well.

When she could stop and take a moment to breathe with the photos they were monitoring, Chorong wanted to sneakily call it their couple looks. Maybe in a fantastical part of her mind, Chorong could forget what these photos were being taken for. 

A staff member on the set chimed in. "You two seem really close. Like real sisters. You're not related at all?"

Chorong tried not to disentangle from the woman on her arm. 

There it is again. Being called sisters. It's odd, where it had never been so odd before. It has Chorong thinking more about it now. 

Chorong has her real sisters, so why is it that when she's with her female friends, they're referred to like real sisters? And when she's with male friends, there are those who seem to say there could be something more? Honestly, the whole of Apink are more like brothers too…

"No, even our surnames are different. It really is a miracle to have met her though…" Bomi said sheepishly, shrinking back in a laugh as Chorong made a move to punch her shoulder. A fluttery statement that Chorong would feel silly to acknowledge seriously, especially in front of these staff. That fondness she has for her. 

Everybody wants to know. Everybody is watching. Chorong sighed. 

Perhaps it was weird to think… The more she sees Bomi and her as how similar they are, how comfortable they are, she wonders if what she sees in Bomi is right. 

She doesn't have much time to think on it though, because then Bomi left her, hopping off heels to get changed for the next concept. Some of their own familiar staff came into view, whirling them away. 

"Look at you glow! I barely have any work to do," their close stylist cooed to handle Chorong once more, ushering her to the back. "See, I knew it. That's the face of a person in love."

Chorong just smiled non-commitally. "Uhh. Perhaps do you think we're like sisters because we look the same?" 

"You and Bomi?" The stylist touched up, about to whisk Chorong off again. "There's a lot that's similar, but after I've known you, I believe your personalities are pretty different." 

We're very similar… But, no, we're really so different!

Chorong agreed. Maybe, trying to believe in what made them more different, so it wouldn't dawn on her how sister-like they were taken to be. 

Their different attraction styles. The hobbies they take. The kind of space they like. Their difference in confidence, where Chorong leads in the group, but Bomi seems to lead when they're alone, initiating the affection that Chorong leans into. 

And with that affection… hoping it would not make a relationship like theirs turn into that weird in-between. Between best friends and lovers. Between kisses… and more.

 

——

 

When something couldn't be solved quickly, Bomi could feel a bit out of the loop. Their group had always been pretty good at communicating. She and Chorong are pretty good at communicating, and it is in both of their natures to be straightforward. However, Chorong does have those moments.

Rather than being something frustrating, it worried Bomi first. Chorong acting weird… since returning to Korea. Thinking, and not telling. 

 

The Apink members were out having dinner with their dance team. It was a surprise that their teacher organised a birthday cake at this time, for a belated birthday celebration with Chorong —"Oh, you shouldn't have!"— Chorong was so touched by it.

Bomi had been sitting next to Chorong throughout the dinner, and that would be an experience enough to warm Bomi up for a while. Just doing things together has always been her favourite. Even in the littlest of things.

Between being immersed in other conversation, Chorong would take her attention off momentarily just to help put food on Bomi's plate and make sure she was eating well. She was so caring in those motherly ways with her members, and Bomi loves that. It was really quite baby of her. 

Before the members could head up the final elevator home, Bomi proposed a game of rock-paper-scissors to decide who would stop by the convenience store for them. "To fill up on snacks. Ice cream," she whispered, out of their manager's earshot. 

"Okay, good call!" Hayoung joined, and it didn't take long for the rest to follow. 

It was Bomi who suggested it but she would only end up grinning funny and rubbing her neck. What were her odds with losing at this? Bomi's sad cheeks were squished as the girls split to the elevator, except for Chorong who smiled and didn't join them. 

Chorong stayed. 

"Feeling pity for me?" Bomi said hopefully.

"You could say that," Chorong chuckled. "Not because it's you, but because I wouldn't want the loser to be lonely, Bbom-ah." 

The two entered the convenience store, taking a pack of ice cream pops into their basket and a few other things before heading back up to the dorm. Bomi looped the plastic bag over one arm, so she could hold the popsicle she opened in one hand, and hold Chorong's warm hand in the other. 

"You shouldn't be so greedy with that," Chorong said when Bomi almost fumbled with the setup she had. Bomi just gleamed proudly. 

"But I like it! I've already opened this ice cream, and you're already with me. My two favourite things," Bomi said, and Chorong laughed at that. "I'm not letting go of either."

 

Bomi was feeling happy with the evening's events, but also a little out of it now that they were alone and together again; where thoughts fly. Wondering, how to start that talk. 

Waiting on other members to wash up first, meant options to pass the time. The two unnies unpacked the items into the fridge, and by the time Bomi obediently finished the rest of her ice cream on the couch, Chorong was all about done with the dishwasher. 

Chorong was patting her hands on a towel when Bomi returned beside her, no plan in mind; in moments they might share for seemingly no reason at all. Chorong smiled and brushed a lock of Bomi's hair back, touching her ear gently. 

The warmth of their holding hands earlier not forgotten, the sudden touch made Bomi miss their closeness even more lately. Chorong seemed to fall into it too. 

"The members aren't here," Chorong whispered. "A kiss should be every day, right? We haven't, today." 

A toothy grin lit up Bomi's face. "Oh? So who's going to do the honours?"

"Bbom-ah, come on…" 

At the gentle command, Bomi's fingers reached to the back of Chorong's head, and she gingerly went over Chorong's pouting lips with her own, brushing them together. Soft and heartfelt, feeling clean baby-like skin. Delightful, enough to make the younger forget the moment of their busy lives in a fuzz. 

And in a moment too s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter