Prologue

Your Own Worst Enemy

As children we learn right from wrong. That there are good people and bad people all around us. We are disciplined to never do anything bad because that would make us bad people. There are only two sides to everything; the good side or the bad side. As civilians of good nature, we should never associate ourselves to people who are on the bad side. But what if you have to do bad things for good? Are you right? Or are you wrong?

 

For 15 years, Taeyeon was a criminal in the eyes of those who encountered him. Stealing from food stands, stealing and selling car parts, and partaking in the most vicious gang in the city. To many, Taeyeon is on the bad side. But what if he only did those things for not the sake of his survival, but the survival of his younger siblings?

 

Many people would say that he should have found other means of survival. But what if he had no other choice? His parents abandoned him and his siblings at the tender age of ten and the youngest barely three years old. Are his actions justified?

 

Kim Taeyeon, now 25 years old, had not gone to school since his parents abandoned them. Elementary school was his only educational background. No college degree or high school degree. With today’s standards, part-time jobs are typically given to high school students and those who have at least attained a high school degree. Would he even be able to turn a new leaf?