Since

Since You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[Summer, 2005]

 

"I'm going out, mom!" Jinyoung shouted while wearing his shoes before going through the front door. 

"Already?" He heard his mom shouting from the kitchen. She's preparing dinner since it's already 4 in the afternoon. His mom has promised him she would make spicy stir fried octopus and Jinyoung is excited. 

But still, a child has to play. And that's what he is gonna do. Right now, his friends are waiting for him at the park where they will have a race with their bikes. Such a fun thing to do in summer. 

"They're already waiting for me!" He shouted once again before heading out. "Bye mom!"

Jinyoung skipped hurriedly down the steps of their porch and went to get his bike. He was closing their gate when he saw a van pull over and park at the house just across theirs which used to be vacant. He remembered the house having a huge FOR SALE placard posted on it. Hmm.. might be the new neighbors.

He was about to ride his bike and make his way to the park when a middle aged couple (same as his parents) got out of the car. They were talking while smiling, looking over the house in front of them. They were followed by a young boy (maybe around his age) with short and black hair. The boy is wearing a headphone, and eyes are stuck on this gameboy he's playing with. 

The boy seems not minding about his surrounding, until his dad tapped his shoulder. "So what do you think, son?" He heard. Only then did the boy took off his headphones and looked at what his dad is showing to him which is the house. He saw how the boy shrugged, before turning his head, scanning the neighborhood.

When their eyes met, Jinyoung was stucked for a moment, wondering what he'll do. Should he wave as a polite greeting or not? Will a simple smile do? Or.... Well, okay. Jinyoung doesn't need to bother, because the boy, after staring at him impassively, just turned his look away and put his headphones back again.

Guess, their new neighbor's son is not one of the friendly ones. Jinyoung doesn't need to mind.

 

 

[Summer, 2007]

 

"I don't eat muffins."

Oh, he doesn't? Stupid Jinyoung. As he held the box out, he just tried to keep his smile on his face. He doesn't want Mark to see that he was disappointed for him not accepting the muffins which he asked his mom to bake.

"Well then, you can give it to your friends." He said, pertaining to Jackson who is playing ball with Yugyeom and Bambam not too far from the bleachers.

Mark frowned on him before crouching down to tie his shoelace. "You can go and give it to them yourself." he said while still doing his shoelaces. When he was done, Mark took his backpack and called on his friends. "I'll go ahead!"

But Jinyoung ain't giving up, so he handed the box to Jaebum who was standing beside him and jogged to follow Mark. When he caught up with him, he asked. "So, what do you eat then? So I would know what to make you next time."

Mark's brows furrowed at him. This expression is a usual thing for Jinyoung to see. Mark always frowns whenever they're talking. "I prefer that you don't. You are not my mom." Then he left him.

Jinyoung scowled. "Of course I am not, idiot. I am your future husband." He said more to himself since Mark has already left and won't be able to hear it.

"Desperate." But apparently, Jaebum did. So Jinyoung just rolled his eyes and glared at his bestfriend. 

"Why are you still holding that? Just give it to those guys." He said pointing at Mark's friends who also happened to be their classmates.

 

"You know, I really don't get why and how you could still act nice towards Mark when the guy clearly hates you." Jaebum said, eating his turtle ice cream, as they were both walking their way home. "That guy is cold, not minding and rude. Only his face makes it bearable for people to interact with him. That guy is mean, Jinyoung. Can't you see that?"

"Stop saying nonsense, Jaebum." he told his bestfriend off, hitting his arm. The amount of disrespect Jaebum has, slandering Mark right in front of him. "Mark just doesn't like me. But it doesn't mean that he's mean."

"Now that is just impossible. How could anyone not like you? You're too kind and thoughtful and you don't say bad words unlike Jae, and well... me. But, my point is, you Park Jinyoung is very much likeable. In all aspects, I say. Everyone in their right mind would want to be friends with you."

"You don't have to flatter me, Jaebum. You'll still get to eat dinner at our house." He said narrowing his eyes at him. "But thanks." 

Jinyoung laughed when Jaebum wiped his cheek which he just kissed. The guy hissed, but he could see that smile he is trying to hide. His bestfriend loves him.

He put his arm around Jaebum and they continued walking. "Remember that day, it was about two years ago and we were having a bicycle race with Do Woon, Jae and Wonpil?" Jaebum nodded at him. "A cat suddenly crossed the street so I needed to swerve that's why I fell on the ground. You saw me when I fell, but you continued on riding your bike to finish the race."

"Yah! I already apologized for that and I thought this is already behind us?" Jinyoung laughed at his friends's reaction. Still guilty, he thinks, and it's funny.

"It is! I am just trying to make a point here, so listen." He just said, rubbing Jaebum's back to calm him down. "I was nearly crying that time, and really really embarrassed. I have scrapes on my elbows and knees that time and I couldn't stand properly in an instant. That is when Mark came, putting aside his gameboy, and helped me stand up."

Jinyoung smiled at the memory. He always loved thinking back to that day. How Mark looked at him with concern as he held his hand out for him to take. How Mark helped him stand up, walking him to their house and made him sit on their porch to check on his wounds. That memory is enough for him to think of Mark as a kind and warm person. Although since then, he didn't see that side of his again, Jinyoung knows he exists.

"Since then, I promised one thing."

"And what is that?" Jaebum asks him.

So he smiled. "That I will marry him someday."

 

**********

[Summer, 2019]

 

Jinyoung breathed in and smiled widely before opening the gate and walking towards the front door. Three knocks and he heard someone opening the door. Soon enough, he sees his mom, looking the same as he last saw her when his parents visited him in Seoul last year. His mom didn't age a bit. She's still beautiful.

"Jinyoung!" his mom exclaimed as she warpped him inside a warm hug. "It's good to have you back."

"Yes mom. I missed you too." Jinyoung said, hugging his mom back. "Where's dad?" 

"He is buying fish in the market for our dinner. Come on let's get inside."

"I still have my things inside the cab, mom. I'll get them first."

"Let me help you, then."

He put his arm on his mom's shoulder as they walked through the garden and to the cab which brought him here to Busan. It's been six years since he left his hometown to pursue college with Jaebum in Seoul. Now, they are both back as licensed engineers.

"You bought a lot." His mom said when he handed him two paperbags containing the goods he bought in Seoul. 

"Not too much." He closed the cab's door and it drove off. Only then did he had the time to look at the house across theirs. And only then did he see the placard posted on it.

 

"Mom, where are the Tuans?" Jinyoung asked when him and his mom were at the kitchen, eating the food his mom prepared for him.

He felt like asking, after he saw that familiar sign where FOR SALE is written. His mom just answered his question without paying any mind. She's more focused on cooking their dinner.

"The Tuans already left and went back to L.A. about three years ago. Their son Mark was the only one left here then. But now, I have heard he's putting the house on sale and is planning to head back to L.A. where his parents are since he already finished college and is already working. I've heard, but I am not sure."

Jinyoung hasn't recovered from the news yet, but his mom is on her feet and getting something from the drawers. "One of your friends gave me this about a week ago, when they learned that you will be going back home."

"Which friend? Jae? Do Woon? Wonpil?" He asked, because aside from Jaebum, he doesn't have much friends. 

"No, not them. I'm talking about that tall skinny guy who always dances even if-"

"Yugyeom." Jinyoung said, cutting his mom's sentence. 

"It must be him. He was with these two other guys you also used to hang out with back in high school."

Must be Bambam and Jackson. His mom is right, and he remembers hanging out with those guys when they were all in highschool. They all became friends and sometimes they hang out outside their house, or at the park or at the basketball court. Those were fond memories.

"Here." His mom handed him a small envelope. Jinyoung opened it, which seems to be a card. He opened it and read what was written. CLASS REUNION (Batch 2012-2013)

A reunion? This weekend? Should he go? Will Jaebum go too? Will the guys go?

Will Mark?

 

And just like that, his mind went back to that time, the last time he saw and talked to Mark.

 

Summer, 2013.

Jinyoung is walking his way to the park where he'll meet Mark. He already asked the latter, a couple of times before he agreed on meeting him. This is it. This is him taking another shot on confessing his love for Mark. It's only a month before him and Jaebum goes to Seoul where they will both finish their studies to become engineers. That is their dream even when they were still kids. And now, they're going to make it happen.

But he won't leave without doing this first. 

Jinyoung will talk to Mark. He wants to say everything once and for all, to let it all out, just in case Mark is still not taking his feelings seriously. From the time that they had met, he has made it obvious that he wants to know Mark, and to get closer to him. He has put in all his efforts just to get close to him and make him feel how much he likes him. Despite Jaebum telling how stupid he looks, Jinyoung didn't listen and just expressed his feelings freely and boldly to Mark. 

But Mark isn't an easy person to love. He is very much difficult. For seven years, Mark has done nothing but pull away, right even before he could take a step closer. Jinyoung didn't give up and just waited for the time that Mark would stop running away.

Maybe this is the right time.

As he set foot on the pathway, his eyes went straight to the dark brown haired guy seated on the bench which is under the huge ginkgo tree. The tree looks pretty with all its healthy green leaves. Suppressing his smile, Jinyoung made small and careful steps without any sound, as he approached Mark who is just staring ahead, eyes fixed on the river. Nakdong river during sunset truly is a mesmerizing sight, Jinyoung knows.

He succesfully reached the bench where Mark is seated. "Penny for your thoughts."

"God, don't surprise me like that!" Jinyoung could only laugh seeing Mark's shocked face which then turned to a disgruntled one. "How long were you there?"

"I just arrived." He then sat beside him. "Did you wait long? I did ask to meet at 6." He glanced at his wristwatch, it's only quarter to six. "You came early."

"And what's wrong with that?" Mark asked with an annoyed tone. Well what's new? Surely he'll miss Mark once he left. 

"Nothing. I just..."

"What did you call me for?" 

Jinyoung cleared his throat, looking at Mark who is glancing at him sideways. The latter has his hands on his lap, hands closed. "First of all, let me congratulate you for graduating in high school. I'll still congratulate you although you didn't do the same thing to me, but that's okay. I'm already used to you not caring towards me so, cool."

He heaved a very deep sigh before letting all his thoughts out. "In less than a month, me and Jaebum will leave and head to Seoul." He trailed off. "We will stay there until we finish college and will return here as engineers. I figured five years is going to be a very long time of not seeing you, you and your frown; of not hearing your hiss or your scoff everytime I say something which you don't like hearing which is basically everything I say." He said laughing a bit but Mark remained staring. Clearing his throat once again, Jinyoung continued. "Since that day when you helped me stand up after my stupid accident, I think I made it pretty clear that I like you, Mark. Everything which I did since that day, says the same thing. And that is me being in love with you."

Jinyoung felt like he needed to breathe again first before getting on with the rest of his confession.

"I am sorry, but since that day, you eliminated all the possibilities of me finding someone else, of me loving someone else, and me wanting to marry someone else. I am sorry but I already made up my mind and that is to marry you someday and become your husband. I will leave for now, but I will return one day. And I hope you already have an answer to this proposal of mine. Until then, I will wait."

Jinyoung is smiling, despi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter