Now Serving: Devil's Food Cake

Neo Cakes and Treats

DoJae

 

 

 

Jaehyun is known as the Valentine Boy in Neo Cakes and Treats as he was born on heart’s day. Comically, his favorite treats are chocolates. Chocolates are symbols of Valentine’s day and Jaehyun had correlated and bonded with the treat more than a baker should.  Chocolate was often called an aphrodisiac because it contains chemicals that increases the serotonin levels in the body, giving that elated or happy feeling; Jaehyun would like to believe that he, just like chocolates, make people happy.

 

Jaehyun’s love for chocolate is antithetical to Taeyong’s love for chiffon cakes; where Taeyong loved the airy and light sponge, Jaehyun dwells on the rich and decadent chocolate sponge. And although they bicker about it once in a while, they were good friends.

 

 

Chocolate cakes uses cocoa powder to impart flavor and color to the sponge. The high fat content of the sponge makes it indulgent and filling as it blends with the rich chocolate flavor. Unlike the chiffon cakes that rely on egg whites as it’s primary leavening, chocolate cakes uses chemical leavening in the form of Baking Soda and or baking powder. The leavening agent helps lift the batter as it bakes, preventing it from collapsing or caving in.

 

 

Jaehyun always greet the patrons with a dimpled smile and that had charmed quite a few customers, even getting his regulars in the shop. But there is that one person that had made him curious in a long while.

 

 

His name was Dongyoung and he pays with his credit card as he orders donuts and coffee. He would always come on Wednesday and Saturdays, order the same thing around 7pm and then promptly leave after he receives his treats. Usually, customers would stop to talk to him or any of the staffs, because they pride themselves with excellent customer service yet Dongyoung was like he couldn’t be bothered to be there.

 

 

“Regular?” Jaehyun greeted Dongyoung on a Saturday night and the said man just nodded and handed his card for Jaehyun to charge. Jaehyun scanned his order and returned the card with a smile and Dongyoung all but left the counter to stand by the pick up area without another word. After he got his order, he thanked Jaehyun then went on his way, leaving a sighing Jaehyun behind.

 

 

 

Chocolate cakes uses cocoa powder which is a by-product of making cocoa butter and chocolate making. Due to the process of fermenting the cocoa beans, natural cocoa powder are naturally acidic and it gives more complex flavor. The Dutch process cocoa has a higher pH and darker color but the process also loses some of the flavor thus, it makes it less of a chocolatier compared to the natural cocoa.

 

 

“You slipped something in my order last time” Dongyoung said as he greeted Jaehyun.

 

 

“Oh you noticed.” Jaehyun chuckled, glad that his little effort made the usually silent and stoic customer talk beyond his order and thank you’s. “How was it?” Jaehyun asked and Doyoung used for a while before looking dead straight at Jaehyun.

 

 

“Pretty ordinary, I had better.” Dongyoung replied and that made Jaehyun took offense as a baker.

 

 

“Excuse me?” Jaehyun asked and Dongyoung rolled his eyes.

 

 

“It’s not my first time eating chocolate cakes. I despise them because they all taste the same.” Dongyoung replied and Jaehyun took that as a challenge.

 

 

“I’ll make you change your mind about chocolate cake!” Jaehyun posed the challenge and that made Dongyoung raise a brow.

 

 

“Oh, and if I don’t?” Dongyoung asked back with a smirk,

 

 

“your orders are on me until I make you.” Jaehyun said and Dongyoung laughed and extended a hand.

 

 

“You get a deal.” Dongyoung said and Jaehyun smiled and shook it.

 

 

“My name is Jaehyun by the way.” Jaehyun said as he punched Dongyoung’s order.

 

 

“Call me Doyoung.” Dongyoung said and winked at him as he handed his card but Jaehyun shook his head.

 

 

“This one’s on me.” Jaehyun said and gave his order shortly.

 

 

Devil’s food cake is the antithesis of Angel Food cake where the latter mainly relies on eggwhites with no trace of oil while the former is  contains high amount of fat from butter and eggs. The type of cocoa determines the depth of flavor and the texture of the resulting cake.

 

 

It has been the third straight week that Jaehyun had given Doyoung the free stuff and both Ten and Taeyong were worried about his savings, those things aren’t cheap per se.

 

“I don’t know what I am doing wrong.” Jaehyun groaned as he taste another batch of chocolate cake and failing to meet Doyoung’s standards.

 

 

“Maybe he’s free-loading.” Yuta, who know works at the shop part time to spend time with Taeyong, commented as he took a bite of the latest creation. “These are delicious.” Yuta shrugged his shoulders then patted Jaehyun before going back to the register.

 

 

“Maybe he’s right?” Taeyong said as he garnished the last of the petit fours they had to deliver the next day for an event.

 

 

“I just don’t know what is lacking.” Jaehyun sighed and cleaned his workstation with shoulders slumped and spirit down.

 

 

“Am I even getting close?” Jaehyun asked as he handed the order to Doyoung.

 

 

“Not even.” Doyoung answered and Jaehyun sighed before smiling and wishing him  a good night.

 

 

Jaehyun was beyond frustrated that he did not notice that the mug was not even his as he poured hot coffee to it.  He took a sip and was shocked to taste the rich cocoa instead of the dark coffee that he poured. It was a eureka moment for him that he had to grab his apron and his trusty mixer and whipped up a batch of his genius moment.

 

 

Devil’s food cake starts with the dry ingredients mixed with the butter instead of the usual butter being creamed with sugar. The fat cuts into the flour and shortens the gluten making  the resulting cake soft tender. Instead of milk, hot strong coffee is added to the batter to punctuate and highlight the chocolate flavor. Coffee is a good flavor booster to chocolate cake, elevating the flavor profile.

 

Jaehyun handed the order to Doyoung but to his surprise, Doyoung handed him his card. Jaehyun blinked at him but the blooming smile on Doyoung made his heart do a little jump inside his chest.

 

“It was delicious.” Doyoung said and Jaehyun could only smile back widely as he charged the usual coffee and donuts to Doyoung’s card. “Is it available?” Doyoung asked and Jaehyun grinned at him.

 

 

Go on a date with me and it’s on the house.” Jaehyun said and that made Doyoung chuckle.

 

 

“Sure.” Doyoung said and slipped a business card on the counter. “See you tomorrow Jaehyun.” Doyoung winked and Jaehyun could only wave as he held the card close to his heart.

 

 

Jaehyun was nervous as he texted the number on the card but as Doyoung responded quite quickly, his heart just did a few more summersault. Kun, a Chinese baker who shared the same shift with him that day asked if he was okay and all Jaehyun could do was sob as he showed him the text Doyoung sent him. Kun patted his back and cheered him on, even helping him prepare the special cake Jaehyun will serve to Doyoung on their date. Jaehyun’s ears turned red at the thought of Doyoung and date, gosh he must be dreaming.

 

 

But as Doyoung entered the shop in his casual clothes and made a bee-line towards Jaehyun, the younger almost had a heart attack that this was not a dream.

 

 

“Hi!” Doyoung greeted and Jaehyun almost choked on his own saliva before he could greet back.

 

 

“Do you want coffee with the cake?” Jaehyun asked and Doyoung nodded once. “Great, have a seat and I’ll prepare it.” Jaehyun said and Doyoung sat down to enjoy his coffee and cake for the first time.

 

 

Jaehyun did not take so long and was soon walking back with two cups of steaming coffee and a slice of Devil’s food cake layered  with dark chocolate ganache and pistachio cream. Doyoung’s eyes lit up as Jaehyun served it and he giddily took the fork to taste the art presented on a platter.

 

 

“This is really good.” Doyoung was excited and Jaehyun could only beam him a smile.

 

“Some say eating chocolates is like having .”  Jaehyun blurted out and his ears turned red as he realized the implication of his remark. “Please don’t hate me! I’m sorry! I am not a ert I swear!” Jaehyun quickly apologied but Doyoung just laughed at him.

 

 

“We’ll have to stick to chocolates for now. I am sure we’ll get there.” Doyoung winked at him and Jaehyun blinked at him before blushing, his ears are now red as chili peppers, and grinning at him.

 

 

“You really considered that Doyoung?” Jaehyun asked and the older nodded.

 

 

“Of course. It’s not just the chocolate though, you’re really charming.” Doyougn confessed and that compliment sent Jaehyun’s heart soaring.

 

 

“I’ glad that you liked my cake.” Jaehyun said.

 

 

“I bet you’ll taste as sweet.” Doyoung replied and Jaehyun grinned at him.

 

 

“Wanna bet on it?” Jaehyun asked and Doyoung nodded then pulled Jaehyun close to him to kiss him senseless.

 

 

“I lost, you’re sweeter.” Doyoung said nonchalantly. “I get to treat you to dinner then?” Doyoung asked and Jaehyun nodded like a puppy. “Good, now go back to work.” Doyoung pushed the younger off of his chair and Jaehyun laughed as he leaned in to kiss Doyoung before he went back to work.