Her Promises

The World is Ugly (But You're Beautiful To Me)

The truth is, Eunbi hadn’t thought that through.

She hadn’t thought about the amount of Sojung’s scent that would be stuck on her and she hadn’t thought her parents could end up meeting the alpha if she walked her home. No, Eunbi, drowning in that comforting smell and warmth, hadn’t thought about any of that.

Now, at her doorstep, realization slowly sank on her brain as she heard someone’s footsteps approach the front door of her house.

She wanted to tell Sojung to back off, go take her bus back, or something, but she wasn’t fast enough and Daein was already opening the door, facing her sister holding a female alpha’s hand and smelling nothing like herself. Eunbi observed, with her stomach starting to churn, the look in her brother’s eyes go from confused to wary to simply disbelief.

His eyes got cold and she knew he had noticed—of course he had.

“What’s happening here?” Daein asked with a tone unable to disguise the hard edges of his words.

“Oppa, this is—I mean, um…” Eunbi opened , but the boy squinted his eyes at Sojung, paying no attention to the omega.

“Who are you?”

“I’m Kim Sojung, nice to meet you,” the alpha’s voice was firm but Eunbi could tell by the way her fingers tightened around hers that she was growing anxious, with, obviously, reason. So much for first impressions.

Eunbi unconsciously pressed her body against Sojung’s arms and tried to not flinch at the way Daein inwardly growled.

“Eunbi, what are you doing?” His voice was low, careful, but oozing aggressiveness.

“I’m just—oppa, just stop looking like that! You’re making me nervous,” Eunbi whined, hopeful that if she resorted to acting like her tiny, whiny self, the boy before them would relax a little.

“What? I’m making you nervous? You’re the one who shows up with a female alpha and I’m the one making you nervous?” Daein’s voice uncomfortably raised and Sojung took a step forward, putting herself between the siblings, which... proved itself the wrong thing to do. Daein looked at her with a scowl, “and what do you think you’re doing?”

“Please, don’t speak like that to Eunbi, she doesn’t deserve…”

“And when did I ask you for your opinion?” The beta hissed and Eunbi closed her eyes. She should’ve thought this through. All of this situation was on her. “She’s my ing sister and you’re—whatever the you are, you have no right to say anything here.”

“Daein!” Eunbi gaped. “Don’t be an ! You don’t even know her!”

“I don’t need to know any female alphas, Jung Eunbi, and you—"

“What’s happening out there?”

Oh, . Eunbi’s eyes widened and it was impossible to stop the dread that ran down her spine. Her mother approached the door and Daein promptly made way for the older woman to look at the two girls. It didn’t take half a second to Daein to point at Sojung and hiss, “Eunbi arrived with a female alpha.”

The omega really tried to not growl at the way he kept saying ‘female alpha’. Besides, what the hell had happened with her brother, talking as if she was freaking five and done something naughty. Regardless of the situation, she had hoped her brother to at least take some of that so called beta calmness, and think for a bit. Eunbi didn’t take him to say such impulsive and hurtful things.

Anger and disappointment were coiling inside her as her mother’s eyes widened, finally understanding the situation. The woman growled, “a what?!” and, in the blink of an eye, her mother and her brother were looking at the both teenagers bearing their teeth.

Sojung let go of Eunbi’s hand and for a moment the omega feared she’d take off, turn her back and never look at Eunbi again. But she was instead left to swallow down the knot on when the alpha contradicted her expectations.

Sojung bowed down. “I’m sorry, Mrs. Jung. I’m—I’m Kim Sojung and I’m Eunbi’s classmate. We spent the day working on an assignment and I… I just walked her home, because…”

“I don’t care,” her mom spat, putting a hand over her sternum. “Go away and—”

“Mom!” Eunbi cried and finally she had their attention. “Stop this! Stop being so rude to someone who did nothing to deserve this!” Her outburst got her family members looking shocked at her. Sojung mumbled something, but the omega didn’t listen and continued, “you guys don’t even know anything and are already assuming just—just because she’s an alpha. I won’t accept anyone, especially my own family, acting like—like feral beasts! You are not a bunch of wolves that had their territory invaded. Stop bearing your teeth and a-apologize to Sojung-eonni.”

The omega sniffled, highly aware of Sojung’s eyes on her. She didn’t have the courage to look at the alpha, though, opting to glare at her mother and brother, uncaring of how disrespectful she just was. Eunbi for sure wasn’t one to talk back like this, especially since she despised being in trouble, but it wasn’t like she was on her normal mindset.

At the moment her family acted on their primitive instincts, showing nothing but contempt to her al—to Sojung, something inside her brain snapped. A flush of thoughts to protect and defend flooded her mind and even when Sojung gently tugged on her hand, trying to catch her attention, the omega kept on glaring at her family.

Eunbi could almost feel the way they took a step back as her eyes narrowed. “You aren’t going to apologize?” Her tone sounded different to her own ears. It wasn’t like the cry she had just let out, no, it was something calmer, but equally furious. It made her feel weird, uncertain and confused about herself, but her brain didn’t seem able to focus on that now, and so she asked one more time. “Are you going to apologize or not?”

“Eunbi.”

Sojung’s voice right on her ear made her turn her head up. There was a strange mixture of feelings on the alpha’s face, feelings these that she couldn’t understand fully. What the omega could understand, however, was the way Sojung’s scent harshly increased. A similar aroma to that she had so greedily inhaled moments before embraced her, gently willing her muscles to relax and her fingers to release a little of the pressure she put on Sojung’s hand.

The alpha carefully said, “I don’t need apologies, Eunbi. I’m not hurt. Seriously,” she added as Eunbi opened to protest. “Take a deep breath for me, would you? You’re shaking again.”

The omega blinked slowly, eyes falling to Sojung’s lips and their graceful movements. “I’m okay,” she finally muttered, voice sounding recognizable to her ears once more. “They are the ones—”

“I don’t care, really,” Sojung reassured her and offered the omega a small smile. It looked as real as the situation allowed. The taller girl looked at the stunned mother and son in front of her and deeply bowed. “I’m sorry I caused distress. I can guarantee that I only brought Eunbi because it was late. We also had no choice over this assignment, so please don’t blame her for this situation.”

“Eonni!”

“Since Eunbi is home, I’ll go,” she finished, uncaring of the protest, and turned to quickly bow to Eunbi. It looked stiff, sad and maybe Eunbi was overthinking it, but it was painful. So, so painful.

When Sojung’s eyes met hers, she thanked Eunbi and it felt like a dagger was twisted in her heart. Sojung should not be thanking her for anything. The alpha gave her the best day of her life, saved her and cared enough to take the bus and get Eunbi home. How could she be thanking her? “I’ll leave now, Eunbi. Rest-rest well.”

None of her relatives said a word to the alpha as she bowed once again and glanced at Eunbi before making her way towards the bus stop.

Eunbi wanted to run after her, she wanted to be pulled into those arms and make sure Sojung wasn’t deeply hurt by this pathetic ordeal, or that at least she knew that Eunbi didn’t agree with one word that was said. Eunbi needed Sojung to know that, but before she could do as she pleased, a strong hand grabbed her forearm and dragged her inside the house.

With a startled protest, she heard the door be shut behind her mother. Eunbi glowered at her brother and pulled her arm free of his hold. The surprise had bled out from him and her mother. Now, there was only pure bafflement and anger painted on their faces.

“What do you think you were doing, Jung Eunbi! Have you lost your mind? Do you even know—”

“ What?” The omega growled so threateningly that the boy before her cut his words short. Omegas, by nature, aren’t supposed to be aggressive, except under specific situations that Eunbi deliberately ignored at the moment, so she wasn’t sure if Daein snapped his lips shut by surprise or if her voice managed to carry out how livid she was. “And what do you even know, Daein. What do you know about anything? You—you two have never met eonni, have never talked to her, properly looked at her, and you started acting like irrational animals because of her rank!”

“She’s a—”

“So, what?!”

“Jung Eunbi,” her mother’s voice resounded strong and clear, but she wasn’t shaken by it, no. There was so much disbelief and fury piling up inside her that what once made her lower her head and do as she was told only served to anger her further. “You’re clearly not yourself right now. Go to your room and we will talk about this later.”

The omega couldn’t help but scoffing. “Of course, I’m not myself right now. You two managed to say the most preconceived, hurtful words to someone I hold dear and you expect me to calmly tell you that this is okay? That you are right and that you’ve done nothing wrong?”

Daein opened his mouth and pathetically mumbled, “she’s an alpha.”

“Oh my God, and you think I haven’t noticed that?” Eunbi groaned and turned to her mother before the woman could added anything. “Tell me, what do you know about female alphas other than the sensationalists stories that come up in those bloody programs you watch, mom? Have you ever met one? Have you—” she choked and closed her eyes. Eunbi had not noticed the wetness burning them and the omega didn’t want to cry in front of them. I can’t show signs of weakness. Opening her eyelids, she hoped the tears weren’t pooling as much as she thought they were. “You know what, whatever. Eonni is gone and I can’t even phantom how much you guys hurt her. I just hope she doesn’t take any of these-these stupidly, ignorant and bigoted words to her heart. I hope…” I hope she doesn’t hate me, her mind whimpered. She couldn’t take this anymore. “I’m going to my room,” Eunbi clenched her jaw as she threw one last glare to her family, “do whatever the you two want.”

Ignoring the angry calls of her mother, she stomped her way towards her room. Eunbi locked the door behind her and as she took in where she was, what had happened and how strongly she smelled like Kim Sojung, she crumbled to the floor. Eunbi rested her back on the door, drawing her knees closer to her and hugging them. Her backpack was still on place and it was uncomfortable, but she did not move.

Eunbi felt drained, angry and sad.

She had no pleasure in fighting, especially with her brother who was nothing but loved by her, but the truth was, she couldn’t find an ounce of regret inside her. Even if she wished to feel remorseful, go down the stairs and apologize to make it all easier to deal with in the morning, she couldn’t do it. Sojung deserved so much better than that and she had no regrets of saying what she said.

Eunbi pressed her face between her knees, willing her breaths to acquire an even pace, and wondered what Sojung was thinking of her now.

The prospection of being hated by the older filled her with such a painful fear that a broken whimper escaped her lips. The omega had no idea when or how she had grown that attached to Sojung, but it was real, and she didn’t know if she had any strength to fight against the marvelous feeling that it was to scent the alpha.

Cheeks flushing, she inhaled sharply, purposely taking in more of that citric and calming aroma into her. Kim Sojung had every right to hate her now, though, the alpha had taken care of her and the only thing she got in return was hatred.

Hell, Eunbi even thought Sojung was better off without her, now. The omega felt the first tear slip after a long minute and soon after came much more. Thick, sorrowful tears falling on her lap, over her high-waisted shorts.

There was a hesitant rapping on her door at some point, but she didn’t answer. Eunbi just remained still, crushed between the weight of her words and the vision of the alpha bowing to her mother. The knocks continued for some time, but after a few minutes of unresponsiveness, they stopped. Eunbi muffled a sob on her legs.

She had no notion of how much time had passed when her cell phone beeped from inside her backpack.

Heaving a shaky sigh, she thought of ignoring that just as she did with the knocks, but the dull pain on her hip bones and lumbar made her stand up and carry the backpack to the bed with her. The omega kicked her shoes away, plopped herself down on the mattress and opened the pocket that guarded her mobile.

Eunbi blinked quickly, trying to pry the tears away and properly read the notifications, but before she could succeed on that, her screen flared white with the name of Kim Sojung and the warning of a call being received.

Her eyes widened and, for a second, Eunbi was paralyzed. It didn’t take long, though, her trembling thumb pressed “Accept” without hesitation. The omega slowly pressed her phone to her ear and let out a shaky “hello”.

“Eunbi—are you crying?”

To hear Sojung’s voice made her choke out a sob.

“N-no,” she poorly lied. “No, I’m not, eonni.”

“I…” Sojung hesitated.

Maybe she’s calling to tell me this was all a mistake and that she doesn’t want to see me ever again, she thought and closed her eyes, maybe, maybe, maybe.

“I just wanted to know if you were okay.”

Eunbi let out a huffed laugh. “If I’m okay? Eonni, I wasn’t the one who heard those things.”

“You did listen to them, even if they weren’t directed at you,” the alpha gently corrected, “and you… you looked so crushed by it. I…”

As Sojung trailed off, Eunbi sobbed, “suh-sorry.”

“… what?”

Eunbi’s face scrunched up with the new knot on . “I—I know it wasn’t my place, but I just felt so bad. You took care of me, made those s go away and brought me home and you—you had to listen to that. I’m so sorry, eonni. I puh-promise I’ll never put you through something like that again, so, please,” the omega sobbed, and she couldn’t even understand why the words were flooding out like that. She was just so scared, so terrified that… that Sojung would leave her. “Please,” she pleaded, “don’t—”

“Princess, listen to me.”

Her whimpering halted at the sound of Sojung’s voice. It was that tone again, the tone she used to pull Eunbi out of that shock hours before. It didn’t have the same effect, since Sojung wasn’t near her with her warm hands and careful hugs, but it still made the omega shakingly inhale. “Am l-listening.”

“Great,” the smile on the alpha’s voice made her shoulders relax. “I’m calling to see if you are okay, not to blame you for anything. It wasn’t your fault and I definitely don’t see it as you putting me in that situation. And, no, you shouldn’t apologize for anything. Princess, I… I go through that a lot, you know? I know how people see me, I was born like this. I won’t lie and say that it doesn’t affect me at all, but… but especially after seeing you so fiercely defend me, I don’t feel bad. Not even a little. So, you shouldn’t either, okay?”

Eunbi could listen to those words, but she wasn’t sure she could understand them. “Eo-eonni?”

Sojung sighed, “ I was so worried to leave you as you looked so sad, but I thought that with your family reacting that bad, it was for the best. I’m truly sorry, sugar.”

“W-why are you apologizing,” Eunbi asked, running a hand over her cheeks to dry them. “Don’t apologize, eonni—not your fault.”

“Still, I felt uneasy. This is not right. Leaving you like that… I feel sincerely sorry.”

Eunbi couldn’t believe in what she was listening, so she stayed silent until Sojung lightly chuckled.

“I suppose your silly mind thought I’d be angry at you, didn’t it?”

A small pouted that was certainly hearable through her voice came up, “I’m not silly.”

“Don’t be sad, princess. I’m going to tell you once more: I’m not angry and I don’t blame you for anything. Please, believe me.”

The omega inhaled. She did believe Sojung, blindly so. It would be a little worrisome if she had thought about it, but her mind didn’t bother with that. The alpha was there, telling her that it was okay, and she sounded like she wasn’t mad—that was everything Eunbi needed to know.

“Feeling calmer?”

“Yes,” she quietly answered.

“Then I’m happy. You should rest now, Eunbi-yah. Have you taken a shower yet?”

“No,” she mumbled. “Don’t want to.”

“Huh? Why not?”

Her cheeks burned. “Your scent.”

There was a pregnant pause and the omega almost regretted the whole phone call when a content sigh invaded her ears. “Go take a shower, princess. If… if you want, tomorrow I can arrange more of it for you.”

Eyes widening, Eunbi couldn’t help the words that escaped , “are you saying that we can—we can scent again?”

An embarrassed cough was heard from the other side. “That’s it, if you want to.”

“Yes! I-I do,” she blurted and reveled on the amused chuckle Sojung let out. “Thanks, eonni,” Eunbi whispered and she could hear the smile on Sojung’s voice when she answered.

“I’m the one who should thank you, princess.”



The next day, Eunbi woke up earlier and headed to school without exchanging one word with her family. It was awkward, and her father had certainly become aware of the situation as he had not spared her one look.

It was for the better, though, she didn’t want to talk to them even if the weight of the fight was starting to wear her off. She was, albeit sad because of her family, anxious, maybe even excited, to see Sojung.

The two of them had agreed on meeting by the school gates before the classes started. Looking back, Eunbi was extremely embarrassed of her behavior. She had acted as if scenting Sojung was such an urgency that the alpha proposed to be waiting for her at the bus stop at six am. Eunbi had quickly refused it, saying that a few minutes before class was more than enough and blushing furiously with the thought of having a whole hour with Sojung.

But, even if she had reduced the time they’d spend together, she was sure she’d had Sojung’s scent all over her during class. Eunbi felt like this was a big thing, after all, her friends would be able to sniff the alpha on her from meters away. Sadly, or not, after what happened on the previous night, Eunbi couldn’t bring herself to carry much.

Eunbi had her heart hammering her ribcage when she approached the school grounds. It was indeed too early and just a few students walked by. It was hard to not sight Sojung as soon as she turned the corner and it was even harder to not paralyze when the alpha’s eyes fell over her.

The alpha was leaning back on a wall, the skirt of her uniform gently moving under the wind’s touch. Her hair wasn’t tied up instead falling straight on her shoulders. She looked gorgeous like always.

Sojung looked at her for a second before offering the omega a small smile and it was like all her worries were washed away. They walked towards each other, meeting a few steps later. The alpha asked her how she was doing and with a non-committal hum, she said she was okay.

They stood there for one awkward second and Eunbi wondered if it was better to not do anything, to just walk to her class and pretend nothing happened, but, then, as light as a feather, Sojung’s hand landed on her waist, successfully making her look up at the alpha’s eyes. A silent question played on them and Eunbi didn’t see any reason to keep running away from it.

The omega took a step forward and it was all it took for Sojung to wrap her into a tight embrace. Eunbi immediately snuggled her head on the crook of the alpha’s neck, nuzzling her nose on the skin and inhaling that so wonderful scent.

“Eunbi-yah,” Sojung softly called her, “are you truly okay?”

Voice a little muffled, Eunbi answered, “maybe. Maybe not. I’m… I’m confused, eonni.”

“Okay. That’s okay. Confused is good enough for me.”

Eunbi pulled away at that, slightly frowning. “What do you mean?”

“I mean that…” Sojung looked in her eyes. “Being who I am, very few people ever gave me the benefit of the doubt; very few defended me and—and even less allowed me to get as close as you have. ‘Confused’ is more than enough to me because it means you won’t leave. At least not now.”

The only thing that stopped Eunbi from promptly reassuring Sojung that she’d never leave was the rawness in her eyes, was how she looked hurt and hopeful at the same time. Eunbi settled for a gentle smile. “Don’t worry, eonni. I don’t plan to leave; not now… not ever.”

And the smile on Sojung’s face was worth everything she had been through. “Isn’t that too strong of a promise, princess?”

Eunbi shrugged sheepishly. “I’m not saying anything absurd, though. I’m not leaving because of your rank, I’m not leaving because of what people say. I’m not leaving, eonni. I’m confused, yes, but that’s about… feelings that I haven’t quite understand yet. But about being by your side?” Eunbi grinned. “Nah, about that, I’m as certain as I can be.”

The alpha tried to shrink her smile, but it proved itself useless. Sojung couldn’t stop smiling at those words. “I hope you keep your promise, then.”

“Isn’t that what princesses do?”