Kim Jisoo | Chaeng

Truth Be Told

 

A ridiculously wide smile was still plastered on my face while I drive. Everytime I wear if off, I just remember a tiny bit from our date and it's back. Wait... would I really call it a date? I can't even tell if she swings like that. Maybe she's just a really sweet person.

 

 

I parked and went straight to my unit. When I locked the main door, I fished out my phone in an instant and smiled when I saw a notification; a message from none other than the girl who continues to occupy my mind.

 

 

She said she got home safely and instead of replying, my lazy ass called her instead.

 

 

"Hey, I just got home." I said after her 'hello'.

 

 

"Good then. For a second I was worried you wouldn't know how to drive a car too." 

 

 

I scoffed at her remark. "Yah!" I retorted and Lisa cut me off by laughing her usual annoying laugh. The laugh that I think I'll get addicted to. I rolled my eyes and I let myself fall into my comfortable bed. I smiled, imagining she would see it as I closed my eyes.

 

 

"Goodnight, dork." I finally said after a short pause and feeling defeated by my tiredness.

 

 

"Goodnight... dorkiest dork." Lisa chuckled and as I hear the line beep, I dozed off not even changing my clothes.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

I made an early weekend surprise visit at Chaeyoung's after a few unanswered calls from the girl. It's been days and I can't help but get worried, and feel a little bit guilty because I've been busy with something else... or someone, rather.

 

 

I wasn't surprise when she was awake at five in the morning though, because we have the same body clock. When she opened the door, she just scrunched her nose like she knows she can't get rid of me and offered me to come, like the usual. It's funny how we know each other so well. Like she knows I'll be visiting her anytime soon when she doesn't answer my calls and vice versa... and we both know too that we can never get rid of each other no matter how cranky or irritated we get.

 

 

She plops her body on the couch like a sulking kid still on her pajamas and I prepared our usual coffee. Good thing I bought some snacks. Why the hell her place is empty? 'Empty' for this girl right here means 'no food', and that kind of bothers me.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

"Chaeng... Chaeng!"

 

 

"Yah! Park Chaeyoung!" I called her out again and this time, she flinched and I finally got her attention.

 

 

"W-What?" She stuttered, eyes anywhere else but mine as she sips her coffee, feigning ignorance on how she was literally spacing out for minutes.

 

 

"What's wrong with you? Do you need to rest?"

 

 

"N-No. Just... a lot of things in my mind right now."

 

 

"Like what? Like Jennie Kim?" I had the urge to tease her a little to keep the air lighter but I was surprised when she was choking on her own hot latte.

 

 

"Y-Yah! Drink this! Quickly!" She obliged and took few sips of the water. I waited for her to get a stable breathing as her hand lightly caressed her chest.

 

 

"Are you seriously stressed over her? I could take over that task for a few days or weeks. Just tell me, Chae."

 

 

"N-No... it's fine, Jis. I can handle it. Just... I just need to breathe?" She chuckled and find myself smiling at her innocence. She was always hard-working from the very first day I met her and that didn't change, even a tiny bit. But as her bestfriend, I don't like the idea of her pushing way past her limits for work.

 

 

"Then... what about a date at the park, yeah?" I suggested. Chaeyoung was hesistant but liking the idea.

 

 

"What park?"

 

 

"Park Chaeyoung!" I cracked a lousy joke but her scoff was still followed by a smile as she rolled her eyes.

 

 

"Whatever! That better be good, Kim Jisoo." She said as she finished her coffee, not wearing the smile off. She then stood up and went to her room to prepare and have a shower.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

"Chaeng... it's hot. I want ice cream. Please!" I begged as I regret coming here at this hour just after our lunch. We should've come just before the sun sets.

 

 

"Aish... look at you complaining. This was your idea!"

 

 

"Well... this heat wasn't in the plan!"

 

 

"Jinjja... fine! What flavor do you want?" Chaeyoung asked while she drags me to an ice cream stand.

 

 

"Strawberry!"

 

 

Chaeyoung chuckled at my enthusiasm. I just missed how she always spoil me, even though I'm the one who intends to make her feel better.

 

 

She bought one too with the same flavor and she beams at me. We settled at the bench with a nice shade with the view of few people walking around. One thing that was good in going at this hour was there are only few people, and few noise.

 

 

"I'm happy. I missed this... thanks, idiot." Chaeyoung's sudden honesty surprised me a little but I couldn't be more happier.

 

 

"You mean... you missed taking care of your unnie?" I teased.

 

 

"Kind of. I should be the pediatrician instead." Chaeyoung chuckled at her remark.

 

 

"Yah! Definitely not. Your hands were made for cutting and sewing people."

 

 

"Yah! That sounds sadistic, you idiot!" Chaeyoung can't help but laugh and I joined her.

 

 

"And your brain was made to guide the cutting and sewing or whatever... can't you just go back, Jis?" I sensed her sincere plea and I can't help but feel sorry for the girl. It made me want to come back but I wasn't sure if I was ready. I don't want to make a promise that I can't commit to, especially with Chaeyoung.

 

 

The silence I gave made her uneasy and the way she blinked a few times showed how it made her re-think her words.

 

 

"Jisoo... I-." 

 

 

"Chae... it's fine." I gave her a reassuring smile and continued. "I missed it too, you know? I invested my time and efforts to be that kind of doctor I always had in mind... and above all of those, I greatly missed working with you. So... I'm sort of...getting there? I mean, I can't promise anything right now but..." As I trailed off, Chaeyoung spoke.

 

 

"I get it, Jisoo. I'll wait." She beamed at me once more and I gave the same brightness back. With that, I didn't feel the need to explain anything further, and that exactly what Chaeyoung's words were for.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

 

After a slight stroll in the park and a lot of complaining, banters, and more ice creams, both of us decided to have dinner and probably spend the rest of the night at our favorite chicken and beer restaurant.

 

 

"Ugh! It smells niice already!" I said.

 

 

"You always say that when we go here." Chaeyoung said while a catch a glimpse of her rolling her eyes as she scan the menu.

 

 

I giggled as to why she always looks at the menu everytime we went here when we literally memorized all of it by heart.

 

 

"Yah... why do you still look at the menu?"

 

 

"Why not? I just want to."

 

 

"Aish... you're weird in your own ways, Dr. Park." I commented and waved at the waitress to get our orders.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

"Okay, Park Chaeyoung, just spill it." I said, getting rather impatient with how she always make detours just to avoid being on the hot seat.

 

 

"W-What do you mean?"

 

 

"Something's bothering you and both of us know you can't escape talking about it."

 

 

Chaeyoung released a defeated sigh and chugged her beer straight from the bottle. "Fine." She finally answered with her serious tone.

 

 

"It's just work, Jisoo. Dr. Choi keeps getting on my nerves,and you know how I don't show that I'm irritated or mad. I never get mad, you know that right?" Chaeyoung waited for my agreement and I just nodded and let her continue.

 

 

"I know I said I'll wait for you to get back, and that's a huge thing to keep me on track... but it just sucks you know? Not having you there makes me fully aware how insecure and arrogant their asses are. Let's just say that I'm not having the best time there anymore." She gave me a weak smile and I felt so sorry for my bestfriend. I felt selfish.

 

 

"I'm sor-.."

 

 

"Nope." Chaeyoung slightly raised her hand to stop me. "Just saying, Jis. I don't mean to make you feel guilty or anything. Just... it feels nice to let it out. Thanks." She smiled widely and held her bottle high, inviting me for a 'cheers'.

 

 

"For our asses!" She said seriously and foolishly that it made me laugh but her facade and bottle at hand didn't waver until I clanked bottles with her.

 

 

"For our asses!" I said back with the same enthusiasm and she finally laughed along with me.

 

 

"Anyways... what have you been up to, huh? Kim Jisoo?" Chaeyoung asked with a playful smirk.

 

 

"Well...uh..." I played with my fingers, tapping them on the bottle while I searched for words in my head.

 

 

"I knew it."

 

 

"What? I wasn't even finished!"

 

 

'I know you so well that I could tell you're playing around again!"

 

 

My eyes widen at the accusation. "What?! No! Well... I'm seeing a girl but that's just one! I mean, just her!" I felt stupid trying to defend myself but I caught Chaeyoung's serious face; her brows suddenly furrowed.

 

 

"What do you mean seeing a girl?" She asked without any hint of teasing in her eyes and voice.

 

 

"Not seeing like dating, Chae. Just hanging out... and I find her fun to be with. I'm really comfortable with her."

 

 

"Like you are with me?"

 

 

The question surprised me a little but I still answered it. "N-No. Of course not. You're my bestfriend, Chae. Nothing will change that." I smiled at her but I didn't receive it back. Instead, she just turned her face down, this time she's the one tapping her bottle with her fingers. She took a deep breath before looking straight at me as she spoke.

 

 

"Someone's gonna take you away for real this time?" She then said with her weak voice, it sounds almost like a whisper.

 

 

I was speechless. With those innocent orbs staring into my soul, asking me that kind of question with longing and fear at the same time. What is this, Chaeyoung?

 

 

Is she... jealous? Over-protective? This is something new from her. Before, she just scolds me upfront when I didn't even had the chance to explain myself and keeps telling me to stop playing around. But I'm not anymore, so what's the problem?

 

 

Is the alcohol taking effect on her now? But this is Chaeyoung we're talking about. She drinks alcohol like she's just drinking juice. I bet she can even still operate a surgery with how sober she is right now.

 

 

"Chaeng... what's... wrong?" To be honest, I didn't know why I even ask. I just didn't know what to say. She was just staring at me like she wanted me to say something.

 

 

"Jisoo..."

 

 

"...your face... is fucking hilarious!"

 

 

Aish! This girl!

 

 

"Y-Yah! Chaeyoung-ah!" I complained. I should've known! This girl can't even breathe properly with the way she laughed.

 

 

"Why, Jis? You think I'm falling for you now?"

 

 

I scoffed. "Ha! Your straight ass wouldn't even dare."

 

 

"Oh really? Try me."

 

 

I snickered at the idea. So this is how she wants to play huh? "Okay, Dr. Park. I dare you-..."

 

 

This was beyond all Chaeyoung's pranks on me. My eyes widen when she suddenly stood up to reach my face and crashed her lips on mine.

 

 

She kissed me with a little intensity, with a little taste of her tongue. To be reallly fucking honest, Chaeyoung's a good kisser and I didn't know why I sort of kissed her back.

 

 

She pulled away and lingered for a second with an inch distance, then she sat down again like nothing happened until I saw a sly smirk upon those lips.

 

 

"You responded like a good girl. Still wanna bet, Dr. Kim?"

 

 

"Y-Yah... when did you-...are you really-.." My mind has a lot of questions that my mouth can't obviously handle. When was she this bold and aggressive?

 

 

"Easy, Jis...wanna do it again instead?"

 

 

I just stared at her in confusion. "Yah- seriously... what have you done to my bestfriend?"

 

 

She then chuckled whilst staring at the bottle of her beer like it's the most interesting thing in the world... but her smile fell and turned serious when she faced me. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I am so fucking tired of you calling me 'bestfriend', Kim Jisoo."