[Saida] Courage

Happy Pill

Dahyun was wrapped up tight in her hoodie, making sure the strings were pulled extra tight. It may have hindered her vision and given her a little bit of a headache, but that’s exactly how she wanted it. As little contact with the outside world as possible – her only connection to it in the form of Sana sitting at her side, the poor girl’s arm losing all circulation as it was squeezed by a terrified Dahyun.

As they neared the peak of the ride, Dahyun made sure to say her prayers to everyone she knew and loved. At least now if she didn’t make it, Sana would still be able to carry on her dying wish.

The nose of their car began to straighten out and Dahyun could feel the end of her life fast approaching. She clenched her eyes shut, ready to let everything go, even Sana's arm, but as if her prayers had been answered there was a sudden stop. Dahyun had no idea what was happening. All she felt was gravity’s pull, willing them in the opposite direction as if telling them this was a bad idea. Maybe this was God's way of letting Dahyun have her life flash before her eyes. It was too bad she couldn't think of anything besides Sana, the love of her life she wanted to spend every waking moment with, even her last.

That was her last thought before the drop.

It took Dahyun by surprise, her pale skin growing paler which each twist and turn. The rollercoaster took them up and down and… all around? Dahyun couldn’t really tell at that point. Her mind had turned off and her throbbing head wouldn’t have allowed her to care anyways. She could tell that Sana was having the time of her life, unable to comprehend how her lungs hadn’t already burst with how loud she was. If they had, Dahyun wouldn't have had much hope in her dying wish being carried on anymore, but she couldn't even bear to think about that. All she could do was hope her girlfriend was enjoying herself while continuing to cling on for dear life.

After what felt like ages, the ride finally began to slow down as they neared the end. The only real sign being the whine Sana emitted once she realized it too. But after the whining, came a giggle, followed by a tight squeeze from the girl beside her.

“Dahyun? You can open your eyes now~”

“No. Not until it stops moving.”

Dahyun nuzzled herself deeper into Sana’s torso.

“Baby you’re so brave. I really didn’t think you’d come on here with me.”

“I–I–It’s okay. It wasn't the worst. I kinda... enjoyed it.” Dahyun lied, causing the older girl to gasp in surprise.

“You did?!” Sana broke their hug to look at her, in fear that maybe her girlfriend had been replaced while they were in the air.

“Of course, couldn’t you tell?”

Sana was baffled, worried if she should take poor Dahyun to the psychiatrist at this point.

“It’s because you were here with me.” A smile broke through the hole in her hoodie. It was hard for Sana to not attack her with a hug after that.

The restraints lifted and they were finally free to exit the vehicle, but the couple just stayed there, relishing in the feeling as they both sat there a little longer in the embrace of each other. Here was a girl who hated rollercoasters more than anything, but she was still willing to put her life on the line for her girlfriend’s enjoyment.

And there was nothing more romantic to Sana than that.

After some time (while surprisingly not getting kicked out), the new passengers had all settled in their seats and the restraints came back down. The machinery around them began roaring back to life, about to take them on another joyride. 

“We’re going again?!” Dahyun asked, fearfully clutching onto her girlfriend’s arm again.

“I can tell them to stop. We don’t have to go if you don’t want to.”

But after some quiet deliberation, Dahyun surrendered herself to her girlfriend's happiness. 

“No. Don’t.” Dahyun pulled down Sana's raised arm and placed their held hands into her lap before they could grab anyone's attention. “I’d… I’d love to go.”

“What was that?!” Sana shouted, the noises from the ride making it hard to hear. "If you really want to leave you're gonna have to be louder!"

“I said I’d love to!” Dahyun screamed back, clutching the girl until her knuckles turned white, the machine whirring to life as they began climbing upwards again.

Mishearing Dahyun's words as I love you, Sana blushed at the girl's sudden confession. But of course Sana responded in the only way she knew how, by squeezing Dahyun as tight as possible and screaming in her ear, “I love you too!"

Dahyun merely rolled her eyes as she tightened the straps of her hoodie once more.

The praying, the life flashing, Dahyun experienced it all just like she had the first time around, only this time, she came to find it was all just a little bit less scary than the last.


"You give me courage"