Dark Sky

Dark Sky

There was a beeping noise coming from somewhere and it wouldn't shut up. It just kept on screaming and yelling like no one in the world was going to hear it. It went on for a minute and then all was silent again.

Byul groaned, and rolled over onto her back. She inhaled quickly and exhaled slowly. Her dark brown eyes cracked open slightly, getting adjusted to the harsh light waiting for her to wake up. The beeping started again, even more annoying than the last time.

Another groan. Lifting herself off the bed with the help of her arms, she sat up straight. The beeping became somewhat louder. Her ears followed the direction of the noise; the clock, of course.

It read 7:32 AM.


With some effort, she managed to escape the warm covers of her bed and walk over to the bathroom, the tile cool underneath her bare feet as she entered. The sunlight coming from the window was enough to light everything, but out of habit, she flicked the lights on.

The mirror greeted her. It reflected someone. Someone she once knew. Someone that she didn't cared about anymore.

She the faucet, ignoring the presence on the other side of the mirror. The water was cool and refreshing on her warm face. It did an excellent job of waking her, washing off the last remains of sleep. The toothpaste also did a great job of getting rid of that foul taste that never seemed to leave .

Feeling slightly more awake and alert than she had been when she entered the bathroom, she slugged on over to the closet, just on the other side of the bathroom wall. It wouldn't even be considered a room, just a tiny area, closed off by a wall. But it did do a splendid job of storing her clothes.

Today wasn't an important day, so the clothes she wore would not matter.

A grey long sleeved, a green t-shirt, faded jeans with multiple holes, complete with once white sneakers.

She stood there for a while, now dressed in today's attire. She wasn't doing anything like staring or thinking; she was just there. She stayed standing for a while, just letting the blood pump through her veins. With a heavy sigh, she turned and left. She was now in her bedroom.

The room wasn't much; it was big enough for a full size un-made bed, a shelf with books, and a small desk. Its presence alone was comforting. But, the other parts of the dorm room were … haunting.

She opened her door. On the other side, was the remainder of the off campus apartment that she had all to herself. To the right was the living room, which held a small couch and a good size TV. To the left was the kitchen with a built in bar separating the kitchen from the living room. And last but not least, was another door, across from her own. No one lived there yet. Maybe no one would this year.


She ignored the elevator music that accompanied her as she drifted down from the fifth floor. It neither relaxed or annoyed her. It was just there, like everything else in life.

4. 3. 2. 1. Bing. It was now 7:41 AM.


The walk was chilly and the sky was cloudy, but her dark grey hoodie did its job of protecting her against the cold. Out of habit, she exhaled slowly, watching as the little white cloud kissed her face before it drifted away – like everything else.

She sighed, unintentionally producing another white cloud. Stuffing her hands further into her jean pockets, she pushed back her brooding thoughts and continued on her way to the administrator's building.

Despite the sounds of her footsteps hitting the pavement, the birds flying by, and the occasional wave of the trees, all was peaceful and quiet. Most of the university was still asleep at this "ungodly" hour. It was 8:02 AM.

The faintest of smiles appeared before it vanished. If she were a couple of years younger, walking this very same path, she would have been disturbed at the silence. It would have bugged her, possibly annoyed her.

But things happen and people change, but life still goes on. Now, the once cheerful Moonbyul Yi enjoyed the silence and the moments of nostalgia that came with it.


The heat of the administrator's building collided with the chilly air outside. It was a fierce battle, that only lasted seconds, but there was no victor. As the automatic doors slide to a close behind Byul, the winds retreated, waiting until they could clash again.

"Good morning, Byulyi." An elderly lady behind an oak desk by the front doors politely greeted. Byul glanced in her direction and nodded politely. "Is Doyoon in?" She asked, slowing to a stop in front of the receptionist's desk.

"In his office." She gave her a small smile before returning to the papers Byul had failed to notice on her desk. Nodding her thanks, Byul began her tract to her counselor's office. "Oi! Byulyi, he might have someone in his office." The receptionist added before Byul could get very far.

"I can wait!" Byul replied without returning back. As she continued to walk further and further away from the elderly lady, Byul failed to notice a concerned gaze she was being given. 'Poor soul…'


"Okay, now that that is settled," Doyoon Cho, the counselor for sophomore's, stated to a student in his office, organizing some papers as he did so, "Housing…" He pulled out a sheet of paper much like the rest from his desk and examined it over for a certain part. "It says that you are eligible for any of the housing plans we offer here."

A student with long black hair nodded. Quickly rearranging her hands, she stated "I would prefer it if I didn't live in the centre of the student life." With a faint blush, she added, "Something quite would be nice."

Doyoon nodded as he scratched his goatee in thought. "Okay, we have some off campus apartment options that are available… Would you mind the distance?" He asked, his grey eyes peering into her brown ones.

Shaking her head, "Distance is no problem."

Nodding again, Doyoon turned to his desktop and typed in some keywords. "Keep in mind that you will be sharing this apartment with another student." He added as he continued his search.

This was already taken into consideration by the student. "Of course, you will have no problems with me, Mr. Cho."

The counselor turned away from the computer for a second to give his new student a smile. "That's what I like to hear Miss. Kim."


For the fifth time in only one minute, Byul looked up at the clock across the hall. 8:16 AM. It hadn't moved.

Slumping in the bench right beside her counselor's house, she flared her nostrils. She had become reckless having to sit around and wait—

A delicious aroma of grounded beans drifted by her nose and beckoned her to follow. Alert, Byul arose from her seat and obeyed. A few turns later, she arrived outside the staff's lounge.

The "no students" sign didn't appeal to Byul as she walked in.


"Finally…" Doyoon mumbled to himself when his computer gave him the search results he wanted. Scrolling down the page, there were enough available off campus apartments that could be counted with one hand.

"Okay, Miss Kim, I have five available apartments located off campus." Adjusting his small wire frame glasses, he leaned in closer to read the smaller text information. "Hmm… since you like peace and quiet," He glanced over to her in time to see her nod in approval. "I take it you would want a quiet roommate, keeps to themselves… "Miss Kim had no objections, his predictions were spot-on.

'Time to start narrowing it down.' Two of the four apartments available were occupied by a male, so those were off the list, seeing as the other occupant of the apartment also had to be male. One of the girl's biography stated that she "loved to party and have a good time ;)" That one was off. That left only one more…

"Okay, I've narrowed the searches down and there’s only one apartment for you. All that's left is your decision whether you want to stay there or not."


'I've tasted better.' Byul thought as she turned back to the hallway she had been waiting in.

In her opinion, the coffee wasn't strong enough. It didn't give her the kick that she craved for, something to open her eyes. 'But it'll do.' She decided as she was about a few strides away from passing her counselor's office. To wait some more.

"I look forward to meeting up with you next week and seeing how you are doing, Miss Kim." Doyoon, Byul's counselor, stated as the door swung open to meet Byul's face. The styrofoam cup she was drinking out of, broke in half due to the force of the door, slipping hot coffee onto her face, neck, and the front of her hoodie.

"Thank you, Mr. Ch—Oh my! Are you okay?! I'm so sorry, I didn't see you…" The student that Mr. Cho was assisting apologized frantically as she noticed Byul inspecting the coffee stains all over her grey hoodie.

"Yah..." Byul mumbled, without looking up. Sighing in defeat, she decided to take off the hoodie before the coffee stains seeped into her other clothes. "These stains are gonna be a pain to get off…" She mumbled under her breath as she held out the hoodie at arm's length before throwing it over her shoulder.

"Byuyi!? Are you okay, I have napkins in my office…" Doyoon trailed off as Byul ignored his help and began to walk away. "I'll come back later." She stated to Mr. Cho as she passed him.

But she noticed the student in front of her and her feet were rooted to the ground. She met her brown eyes. They were like the mirror back in her dorm. They reflected someone. Someone she once knew. Someone that she hasn’t seen for a long time. Her attention was grabbed by a mole above her left eye. A small dot. It was just there, like everything else in life.

Suddenly the room felt too warm. Before anyone of the two could notice her strange behavior she walked past the student and got out of the building the cold air cooling her cheeks.

"Why did I even come here for? Aish..."

She started walking, her feet having no destination, her mind focused only on those eyes. They reminded her of someone she had forgotten long ago. Someone hyperactive and cheerful.

Suddenly she noticed a patch of light on the pavement and looked up of the sky. It was cloudy but there was a lone string of ray among the gloomy scene. That feint smile appeared for the second time today.

Maybe today was a better day than she thought.