Alone No More

Would You Lie With Me (And Just Forget the World?)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Momo used to sleep alone.

 

Back in the early days of her childhood where she was alone in the comfort of their ancestral home. Glow in the dark stickers littered her ceiling like her very own galaxy in the sky, constellations of different sorts dimly twinkling against the darkness.

 

She loves the feeling of calmness her room brings. Moonlight flooding the floor, crickets playing their melodies in the backyard, and a few fireflies randomly blinking their lights. The wind bringing a gentle breeze which makes little Momo shiver. She hugs her stuffed toys tighter and the blanket embraces her whole body. She is home and she is happy.

 

-

 

Momo used to sleep alone

 

But not anymore

 

At least not immediately.

 

Momo is on her third year in college taking up Communication. Since her home is far away from the university, her parents decided that it is better if she gets an apartment. She, together with her best friend Yoo Jeongyeon, and Jeongyeon’s younger cousin Son Chaeyoung set out to find an apartment. Luckily, Jeongyeon’s classmate Park Jihyo is also looking for roommates that will fill the 6-person capacity of this new place she found on the bulletin board. The landlord only rented the place for a maximum of 6 but is actually big enough to fit up to 9 people. Three rooms separated by walls, a small kitchen area, and one bathroom.

 

Room #1 is where Jihyo and Chaeyoung sleeps as both of them are usually the ones working on late night projects or graveyard shifts. Jihyo is a nursing student while Chaeyoung, an Arts major, gets her inspiration in the wee hours of the night. Their room is the second largest with a double-deck bed and Chaeyoung occupying the upper bunker.

 

The second room is for Kim Dahyun, a Music Major and Chaeyoung’s best friend since elementary days, and Chou Tzuyu, a transferee from another school who majors in English. Dahyun got included due to the her desire to be independent especially now that she is in college. Good thing her parents are really understanding so she joined Chaeyoung.

 

Tzuyu on the other hand, got into the fray thanks to that fateful moment where she’s also looking for a place to stay since she decided to transfer to Seoul’s most prestigious university. Upon checking the boards for any postings, the only ad left was immediately taken by a stranger in the personality of Jihyo. Jihyo, being her usual angelic self, saw how the younger student stared at her which prompted her to talk with Tzuyu. They eventually worked out an agreement so she joins the nurse. As Dahyun isn’t very picky on who her roommate will be, she was paired with Tzuyu which also works out for both of them since they’re classmates in one of Dahyun’s minor subjects.

 

The last room is for Momo and Jeongyeon. Compared to the other rooms, the room is relatively small, providing only one Queen-sized bed. Being best friends of how many years has its perks, one being is you can sleep beside your best friend without any problems or issues. Such is the case with Jeongyeon and Momo. As Momo is used to sleeping alone, she’s a pretty jerky sleeper and would sometimes hog Jeongyeon’s space in her sleep. Other times, Momo would accidentally hug Jeongyeon, thinking the other girl is her pillow. The short haired girl does not mind but come morning, Momo does not remember any of it.

 

Now Momo sleeps with another person beside her. It’s cool actually, at least for Momo since she and Jeongyeon talk about a lot of things before sleeping. Being the ever friendly person in the duo, Momo knows a lot of people around the campus. Add in the fact that she’s part of the school’s dance troupe and is also star dancer, Momo is sure to greet at least one person from the hallway, not surprising for a communication student as Jeongyeon once put it.

 

Jeongyeon, the elder of the two, is a Biology student currently on her last year in college. Much like any student taking up a Science-related course, she aims to study further and become a doctor. On regular occasions, they would talk about their day, with specifications varying from Momo’s training in the studio, the latest happenings in the school and whatnot, and with Jeongyeon’s long time crush on her lab partner (Momo always, always , teases Jeongyeon that she is her love partner. Jeongyeon isn’t having any of it) Im Nayeon - Biology student, stage actress, campus crush. Jeongyeon has had her eyes on the other girl ever since she saw her in the lab, clad in all white, waiting. At first, she was starstruck with the other girl but after a few subject meetings, consultations, and study sessions, she got to know her a bit more, intensifying Jeongyeon’s liking towards Nayeon. Maybe it’s also a good thing that she became her lab partner.

 

-

 

Momo used to sleep alone

 

Not anymore

 

At least, not with a friend or a face she knows.

 

It happens after one of those designated study nights. Momo left her keys that day in her hurry earlier in the morning. It’s not too late but Momo knows that Jeongyeon always goes home earlier than her. Momo knocks twice on the door and waits for Jeongyeon to open the door. That’s when she met her .

 

She’s about the same height as Momo, with hair freely flowing above her shoulder, skin as fair as a sheet of silk (and probably as smooth too), lips as red as rubies. Momo flinches a bit, unfamiliar with the face that welcomes her into their small apartment. The other girl smiles and bows at her before leaving Momo and the door open.

 

Curious (and most probably interested) as to who that person is, she goes inside the unit. There, she sees the couch occupied by the mystery girl as she reads The Lord of the Rings. Seated in front of her is Jeongyeon sitting cross-legged, engrossed in a debate with a more familiar face - Im Nayeon’s. Both girls are debating whether Sweeney Todd is the better musical than The Nightmare Before Christmas (Momo thinks that it should be Phantom of the Opera but she does not want to get involved), ignoring the pile of books and crumpled paper around them. Im Nayeon, THE Im Nayeon is in their apartment and is casually taking (!!) with Jeongyeon.

 

“Hey Jeong, I’m home!” Momo happily greets her roommate as she makes her presence known. She gives a sly grin at Jeongyeon and the other girl shooting imaginary lasers straight towards Momo, an understanding cue that they will have a talk about this and Momo isn’t one to miss a single detail.  

 

Jeongyeon stands to introduce her companions. “Mo! Glad that you’re here! This is Nayeon, my lab partner. We’re here to finish some reports for next week,” Nayeon offers her a smile and a hand, prompting Momo to do the same. “Nayeon, this is Momo, my best friend and also my roommate.”

 

“Nice to meet you, Momo!” Nayeon cheerily greets through her pearly white teeth while shaking hands.

 

“And you too! I’ve heard a lot of things about you thanks to Jeongyeon!” Momo casually teases, side-eyeing Jeongyeon which earns her a stabbing glare from the elder girl, as if to say I will deal with you later and you will not like it .

 

“What kind of things has she told you about me?” Nayeon dramatically acts shocked. “Is Jeongyeon backstabbing me?” a dramatic pose for exaggerated effect. Momo laughs, Jeongyeon stays silent.

 

“Don’t worry Nayeon,” assures Momo, smiling. “Jeongie here does not talk ill of people unless they really piss her off.” she finishes with a tap on Jeongyeon’s shoulder, the other girl breathes at this and smiles as her best friend and her lab mate laughs once more.

 

Not a few moments pass, Momo can’t help but look behind Nayeon where the other girl is sitting, still engrossed in the book she’s reading. Jeongyeon follows her gaze and connects the dots. She gives her friend a nudge to snap her out of her hypnosis.

 

“Mina!” She calls out the other girl, catching her attention before standing up next to Nayeon. The girl, Mina, bows like she did earlier before smiling at Momo. “This is Mina, a fellow Biology student and our groupmate,” Jeongyeon gestures towards Mina. “And Mina, I think you already met Momo.”

 

“Nice to meet you, Momo,” she cutely smiles while their hands shake. Momo, on the other hand, is obviously stunned as she sm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter