Head in the Clouds

Head in the clouds

A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and at such a speed. It feels an impulsion, this is the place to go now. But the sky knows the reasons and the patterns behind all clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons.’ Richard Bach

 

It was the peak of summer and you were enjoying every minute of your holidays: the hot blazing sun warming up your skin, the sound of the sea that you could hear from your hotel room. But mostly, you enjoyed the peace and quiet of a solo holiday. You could have gone with someone, originally you had plans to go with your best friend, but you did not manage to coordinate your calendars so you did not push it and went by yourself. You had never done that before and although you were worried loneliness would get the best of you, you found it really relaxing and peaceful. But boring. GOD you were bored!

The biggest advantage of being on your own was the freedom you had in doing whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted. And that’s how you would eat lunch very late in the afternoon or stay in your bed longer than acceptable when you have spent money to be in another country for the holidays.

Right now you were on the beach, sitting on your towel, observing the sea. Nothing unusual, except it was about one o’clock in the morning and raining heavily. You had a thing for thunderstorms and your favourite ones were the ones happening at sea, where you could see the flashes of lightning on the horizon. You loved the low rumbling sound they were making, and the intensity was usually stronger then. Typically, this was something you probably would have not done if you had been with a friend, or anybody that you knew really, not a lot of people like to stay in the cold and get wet just to watch lightning strikes.

You came prepared with your raincoat over a warm jumper, your beach towel to sit on, the plastic bag to put your shoes in and the large parasol trapped between your legs to protect yourself from the rain. You had your feet buried in the sand, still slightly warm from a hot day in the sun. The whole reason storms were happening really: warm ground, cold sky and wind in-between. Simple science.

You looked away from the horizon to observe the clouds above your head, you could barely see anything in the darkness of the night, but whenever there was a flash of lightning, it was illuminating for a brief second the thick cover of clouds covering the sky, which were pouring thousands of litres on their heads.

Another flash appeared and you started counting the seconds in your head, it was something you always did as a kid, your parents told that you could calculate how far the storm really was by counting the seconds separating the light from the rumbling sound. You could not actually remember what the formula for it was, you never were good at maths, but it was a habit you did not lose.

Another flash revealed an enormous cloud that caught your attention and brought back another fond memory of your childhood. You used to imagine on car rides that the giant clouds you could see in the sky were actually buildings for people living there. This one was the town hall, this series of smaller clouds was a street of houses… You giggled at the memory and decided the big raincloud you just spotted was a massive skyscraper.

The rumbling sound from the previous lightning was finally perceptible and you realised it was not that long ago that it flashed. A sudden gust of wind nearly took your parasol away and you decided that maybe, it was time to go. The weather seemed to deteriorate rapidly so you got up on your knees, put the handle of the plastic bag around your wrist and undertook to close the parasol.

You had just managed to tie the string around it when a really bright and loud lightning strike surprised you and made you jump. You could have sworn that one did not land far from you. You got up and grabbed your towel in your hand, putting the parasol under your arm to bring it back to the place all the others were stored and turned your back to the sea to make your way out of the beach. You only walked a few metres when you thought you heard something and stopped. You wondered if you misheard the violent wind for something else and when you did not hear anything else for a few more seconds, you decided to carry on.

But the noise happened again, and this time you were pretty confident you heard a voice. You turned around to scan your surroundings, looking for the silhouette of a person on the beach, but you saw nothing.

“Over here!”

This time you were absolutely sure you heard a male’s voice calling you. You dropped the parasol on the floor and took a few steps back towards the water, scrutinizing the area. It was so dark you really struggled to see anything but eventually, you distinguished the shape of a body on the waterfront. It was a man and it seemed as if he was dragging himself away from the rough sea. Realising the emergency of the situation, you ran towards him and you reached him, you grabbed his arm to drag him away from the water. You stopped when you deemed the distance between the both of you and the sea to be enough, you let go of his hand and focused on the man you just saved.

Only to realise he was fully .

“What the hell?!” You brought your hand in front of your eyes. “Why are you ? Are you okay?” you finally asked.

The man had his face in the sand and you could see him breathing heavily, probably trying to catch his breath after the effort he must have made to swim back to the beach. You decided to run back to the spot you had dropped all your stuff and grabbed your bag with your shoes and your towel before returning to the man who was now pushing on his arms to raise himself up. The man lifted his head and his eyes met with a towel right in front of his nose.

“Please, I beg you, put that around you.” You asked and the man complied with your request. You finally turned your eyes to him and realised he was shivering cold and his lips were blue. You removed your raincoat, and proceeded to remove your jumper underneath to give it to him.

“Th… Thank you.” He managed to say with a trembling voice.

A thousand questions were popping in your head. What was he doing here? Why did he not have any clothes on? Did he have somewhere to go? Another lightning struck not far from the both of you and you decided to ask these later and focus at the current problem at hand: getting the man and yourself out of the poor weather.

“Can you walk?” you asked.

The man nodded and you started walking away towards the end of the beach, at some point you turned to check if the man was following you and you realised he was struggling to walk because of exhaustion. You reached back to him and grabbed his arm to support him.

You tried to ignore the curious look that the staff working at reception gave you when she saw two people absolutely soaked, with a man that was not even wearing shoes. You helped him to get into the elevator with you and guided him to your room, before finally making him sit on the sofa.

“I’m going to get you something to dry yourself with and a hot drink, try and rest for now.” You told him before leaving the room.

When you came back, you found him fighting to stay awake, shaking his head to make sure he would not fall asleep. You sat next to him on the sofa and handed him a dry towel after placing two steaming mugs on the coffee table.

“There you go. It’s okay you can stay here tonight, just make sure you dry yourself before falling asleep, otherwise you are going to catch death. What’s your name?” you asked.

The man turned his eyes hesitantly to you and you realised it was the first time he looked at you properly. You stared into his eyes and your heart missed a beat. Now that you were not in a rush of getting out of the rain, you had the time to observe the young man in front of you. And he was breath-taking. He had the most perfect face and body you had ever seen, his hair was outstanding with their pale colour and the light pink undertone, it reminded you of the colour of clouds in the morning when the sun is rising. He had the most adorable cheeks and you were sure to feel the need to pinch them between your fingers if he started smiling. But what was the most incredible with this man’s appearance was his eyes and you were lost in them, they were a dark grey like you had never seen on a person before. If anything it reminded you of the weather outside.

“Jimin.” the man’s voice pulled you out of your thoughts and made you jump.

“What?”

“My name.” He repeated with an amused, yet shy smile. “I am Jimin.”

“Oh right, sorry. I was distracted for a moment here.” You admitted. “I am Y/N. Are you feeling better? How did you end up in the sea?”

“I fell from the clouds.”

“Pardon?”

“I was looking down on Earth and a lightning got me by surprise so I fell on Earth. I am sorry I was in front of you, I had clothes up home but I guess they evaporated with my fall.” He explained further. Your face was frozen, utterly confused.

“I am sorry but… You make no sense.” You declared. “Are you okay? Did you hit your head on something?” You got up and took the liberty to inspect Jimin’s head, tousling his hair with your fingers.

All of a sudden, you found yourself floating in front of the man in what seemed to be a very small version of a cloud. You lost your balance and landed on it, feeling your bum getting instantly wet. Jimin had his eyes closed and was frowning intensely with concentration until finally you landed back on the sofa and the cloud disappeared in thin air. The young man opened his eyes and was panting heavily, a thin veil of sweat covering his forehead.

“I apologise, I should have started with that… Humans are not aware of our existence, although children sort of guess it before they grow up and put it on their imagination. I am part of the Sky People, I live in the clouds. What I just showed you was a cloud I created with the ambient humidity of the room. Unfortunately, I could not keep it up for longer because I am really weak but I hope you will believe me…”

Saying you were speechless would be an understatement, you were so surprised you thought you were going to pass out. When Jimin started looking worried for you, you shook your head and forced yourself to say something:

“So… You fell…”. There was no point in denying what you saw. Luckily you were an open-minded person, you never rejected the ideas of aliens, magic, ghosts or whatever, but still, witnessing something like that caught you by surprise.

“Yes, I was observing… er… the beach you were on.” Jimin blushed slightly. “And then there was that massive lightning that hit me and projected me to the ground, well actually, the sea. That’s why I was in the water when you heard me, I was trying my best to swim my way back to the beach. Which was difficult, I never swam before, I sort of float with water particles, so I used my abilities to manipulate water to bring me to solid ground but it absolutely drained all my energy…”

After Jimin’s explanation, you stayed still for a few seconds before suddenly leaning forward and grabbing your head between your hands, trying to process the crazy revelations. You could feel a headache starting and next thing you know, you find a gentle hand rubbing your back up and down.

“I am sorry to surprise you like that…” Jimin apologized sincerely. “But keep your mind and heart opened, I have heard your thoughts before falling, that is what attracted me to the beach. You believed in buildings in the Sky among the clouds as a child… And hearing an adult voicing these thoughts is so rare, I could not resist the curiosity.”

You raised your eyes and looked into his, now you understood the impression you had earlier.

“Your eyes are the colour of clouds during a storm…” You whispered.

Jimin smiled and as expected, you repressed an urge to touch his cheeks.

“I am not human, and I am not a cloud. I am something in between. I guess my eyes would reflect the weather as it currently is.” He explained.

You straightened yourself on the sofa and asked him:

“Right. So you fell. How are you going to get back up in the sky? You look exhausted.”

“As long as there are clouds in the sky, all I need is a decent amount of humidity in the air to get me back up there. But yes, I have used all my energy earlier, I won’t be able to do it until I have rested for a bit. I mean I could not even lift you for more than a few seconds and it is pouring with rain outside…”

“Okay then, you can stay here for the night and rest. You can leave whenever you feel like you have enough powers again.” You decided and Jimin smiled at you brightly at the announcement. His smile was so beautiful it blinded you. You tried to push the thought away when a pair of arms embraced you.

“Thank you Y/N! I cannot be grateful enough for your help.”

Stunned, you did not move at all while the man was hugging you, your heart was beating loudly in your chest, probably because of the surprise he gave you, and you were hoping he would not hear it, cos that’s just weird. Eventually, you cleared your throat and Jimin released you from his hold. You got up and disappeared in your room before coming back with a bathrobe. You handed it to Jimin.

“Take that, I am afraid I don’t have any clothes that would fit you, so the hotel’s bathrobe will have to do. Feel free to use the bathroom and take a shower to warm yourself up. I’ll see you in the morning.”

And with that, you disappeared in your bedroom, closing the door behind yourself. You held your hand on your heart, trying to calm down your breathing.


When you woke up in the morning, a glorious sunshine and clear blue sky greeted you. You wondered for a second if you had dreamt the events of the previous night but as soon as you stepped out of the bedroom, you found a sleeping man with pink hair floating on a cloud in the living room. Then you realised there were no clouds in the sky, Jimin was probably not going to be able to live since he said there had to be clouds for him to go back home. It got you worried for a moment, you were in the middle of summer and rain was a rare thing at this time of the year apart from the occasional storm when it gets too hot, which is what happened the day before. But how long until it rained again? Jimin clearly had energy again, he was sleeping on his own little cloud, probably made with the water he could find through the bathroom taps, but it was useless unless the weather cooled down.

Since he was probably going to be around for a bit, you decided he could not possibly live with just a bathrobe so you left the hotel as discreetly as possible and went in the town center to buy a few clothes for him. When you came back in your room, Jimin was nowhere to be found, but a quick search revealed he was in the bathtub, looking absolutely depressed, a rain cloud over his head that drenched him in water. When he noticed you, relief flushed his face and he jumped out of the bathtub to meet you. You could not help but feel touched seeing his reaction towards your presence but didn’t say anything, instead you brought something else to his attention:

“Er… Jimin? Could you make it stop raining in the bathroom? It is getting seriously wet in here…”

The man turned and realised his mistake instantly, he taped the cloud with his hand which evaporated and you witnessed the water being absorbed by Jimin’s body. He looked back at you with a smile and declared:

“When I woke up and you weren’t there, I thought you had left forever so it made me sad, and when I tried to leave myself and couldn’t because of the weather, I just got downright depressed. I am sorry I got your bathroom wet…” he apologised with the most adorable puppy face you had ever witness from someone.

You slapped yourself mentally and handed him the bag with the clothes you bought him. Jimin took it hesitantly, not knowing what to expect and took out a tee-shirt from the bag. His face lightened up instantly.

“Are these for me?!”

His eyes were opened wide and you lost yourself in the ocean blue tint they were showing today. You nodded with a smile, explaining that, since he might be there for a while given the fact it was the summertime, he could not possibly live with a bathrobe. A second later, you found yourself imprisoned in his arms again in a tight hug, you patted his back awkwardly only to realise the bathrobe was soaking wet.

“Oh sorry about that. I did not realise human clothes absorb water since I never wore any before. Funny story actually, this is how I woke up this morning! I was sleeping on my cloud as usual but the bathrobe was absorbing the water from it and eventually, it was so heavy with water and my cloud became so thin that I crashed on the floor!”

Jimin’s smile was so bright and he looked so amused that you could not help but giggle at the thought of him crash landing on the floor and waking up that way. It made the man secretly happy to see that he managed to make you laugh and you were warming up to him.

***

You spent that day on the seaside, getting to know each other. It started when Jimin’s stomach started grumbling and you realised he had not eaten since the day before, so you took him out for lunch. You got some sandwiches, nibbles and drinks from the nearby shop and sat on some large rocks next to the sea to eat.

Jimin’s excitement was contagious, he could not stop expressing his joy to be able to try Earth’s food and explained to you all the ways it differed to his way of living in the sky.

“So really, we are never hungry, all we do is drink the surrounding water, I think that if we were to eat that type of food, we would be so heavy we could not stay up in the clouds!”

“No need for violent lightning strikes to make you crash on Earth then!” You joked.

“Exactly! And the clothes, I love the way it is so smooth against the skin. I wish I could take them up with me when I go home, but again, it will get heavy and…”

“You will pay me another visit!” You finished.

You spent the next few hours like this, mostly talking about the different types of food you could find on Earth, it was a fascinating topic for Jimin and he could never ask enough questions to you about it. At some point, the topic shifted to how life was in the clouds for him and so he told you about his friends and family, what he was doing during the day…

“… So yeah, I guess nothing is ever the same every day. The place I live in changes constantly since we move alongside the motions of the wind. I have seen the whole world like this, every continent. We love observing humans, particularly children since they are so open-minded, sometimes a few of our people go down to meet them, but they grow up too quickly so they are forced to come back in the sky.”

You were listening to every one of his stories with a fascination and a curiosity you did not feel since you were a child. Jimin had told you there was some truth in what you were imagining when you thought a cloud was a castle, or another one a large valley for the people living in the clouds to walk in and dance. You were admiring his features when he was speaking; he was truly beautiful with his pearly skin that was shimmering slightly, his pink lips that kept stretching into a smile. Smile that kept making your heart skip a beat. It was really incredible the effect that this man had on you in just under 24 hours, there was definitely something magic to his presence, and you had the underlying feeling that the longer he’d stay with you, the more attached to him you would grow.


After the sun had gone down, you both went back to your hotel room and this time, knowing Jimin would be around for a while, you set up the sofa properly as a comfortable bed with a couple of pillows and a blanket. You had categorically refused when the man said he would rather sleep on his cloud like he was used to, but when you reminded him that his clothes would still absorb the water of the cloud and make him fall, he just responded he would not wear any. So you made a point at ensuring he was so comfortable he would not be tempted to go back to his habits.

You were fast asleep when something cold and soft brushed your cheek gently. You opened your eyes softly to find Jimin above you, staring at you next to your bed. You were usually the kind of person to jump scare at anything, but this had not been one of those times.

“Hey… Sorry to wake you but… The temperature has dropped a lot since it is night time and I thought you might like what I want to show you.”

You sat up in your bed, your mind still foggy with sleep. Jimin handed you your jacket and you got up to follow him. He led you to the beach you met on the previous night and you were starting to wonder what he was going to do. Could he be heading home already? You felt a pinch on your heart that you voluntarily ignored but you could not shake the disappointment. You only just met him and he was going already. You looked up in the sky and searched for the presence of clouds, but could not see any.

Jimin had been looking at you from the corner of his eyes; he still could not believe his luck to be here with you. He had not found the courage to tell you yet of the real reason he fell from the sky the night before. He took advantage of the fact you seemed lost in your thoughts to detail your features: your soft face, the way you were scrunching up your nose as you probably thought of something unpleasant… But what he liked most of all were your eyes and the way they sparkled when he told you one of his stories of the life in the clouds… He had caught you a few times today staring at him but every time he turned his face to look at you, you were shifting your eyes in the other direction, pretending to look somewhere else.

“It was too hot earlier so I couldn’t use my powers since I deal with evaporated water. But now that it has cooled down…”

You watched the man removing his shoes and taking a step into the sea, he turned over to face you and you smiled at each other. His eyes sparkled and you wondered what he was about to do. Then he raised his arms, palms facing the sky and as he lifted them, two columns made with the tiniest droplets of water, formed themselves next to him. The sight was beautiful and the moonlight was softly reflecting in the water. You opened your mouth in awe and took a step forward, as if you wanted to touch the phenomenon, but you suddenly stopped and looked around you. You were out in the open and worried someone might see this, it was dark and you were alone on the beach but it was still located in the middle of a busy town.

“You should probably stop there Jimin… I will find a spot for you to show me your magic, it is so beautiful.”

Jimin opened his hands and the water columns all spread out and started spinning around you, trapping you into a thin bubble. You were mesmerized at the sight and forgot your worries for a moment. The bubble then opened slightly to let another body join and closed again once Jimin was inside. He was staring straight into your eyes with an intense look and when your heart jumped and you gasped for air as you forgot to breathe, you decided to pay more attention to the phenomenon around you. You lifted a hand a poked a finger at the bubble, observing the water flowing around it. You let the other fingers touch the spinning droplets too and smiled at the tickling feeling this was leaving on you. 

Slowly, another hand joined next to yours and let the droplets caress the skin, you turned your face to see that Jimin was still staring at you, but he had the gentle smile of someone happy to share a moment with another person. You both turned your eyes away to look again at the hands and the next second, Jimin interlaced his fingers with yours and your heart just started beating in your chest like crazy. You felt your cheeks burning up and tried very hard not to look at him as you could feel his eyes on you once again.


It had now been a few days Jimin was trapped on Earth until the weather became more prone to clouds, and there were no signs of the situation changing anytime soon. You took the habit every evening to watch the TV on the sofa with him, before you leave for your own bed when you feel yourself dozing off. Once, Jimin even fell asleep on your shoulder and you only noticed it when the film you were watching started being really quiet and you heard a soft snore straight into your ear.

The man had finally given up on trying to sleep on his cloud after you caught him twice fully . He had tried to argue by saying he would make his ‘cloud clothes’ a bit more dense (like they should be when he is in the sky really), but you tried to explain that clearly, it was slowly evaporating the moment the sun was rising. Which always ended up in . He was now enjoying the comfort of the sofa, especially now that you had asked the hotel for more pillows and blankets.

The days were spent chatting with each other, eating some good food, and regularly taking a swim in the see as Jimin found the weather a bit too dry for his own comfort. You really enjoyed his presence with you. You could have been annoyed that someone barged into your first 'alone’ vacations, but somehow, Jimin did not make you feel that way. He was incredibly easy to live with, and you were constantly having a smile on your face. He was a ray of sunshine in your life, which is ironic considering he is living in the clouds, which usually tend to hide the sun.

“So what did you say you call this ice cream?” Jimin asked you, lifting the goblet in front of his eyes and admiring the bright blue colour of the beverage.

“It is called a slushy, it is basically shaved ice, sugar and colorant. Kids love that and I have a feeling you will to.”

“Cos I am such a sweet person?” he asked with a grin on his face. 

He had started to tease you a lot more recently and you took it as he was probably getting more comfortable with you. Ever since the two of you got really close on the beach, something had changed ever so slightly. You didn’t know if it was just in your mind or if both your behaviours had changed towards the other… But there was no point in denying that you started developing feelings for the man that were more than just friendship. You cared for his well-being and happiness, and you kept feeling your heart jumping whenever he returned the attention to you. His hand on yours when you were holding your own slushy dragged you out of your thoughts. You just had the time to see his head lowering onto the straw pocking out of your goblet as he took a long sip.

“I prefer your red slushy Y/N.” he blinded you with his sensational smile and took another sip of your ice cream without asking.

He really was comfortable with you.

“Oh I’m sorry. Do you want me to stop? Do you want to take a few sips of mine?” he offered, taking you stumped face for disappointment about him stealing your drink.

“No no! It is absolutely fine! Sorry I was completely lost in my thoughts. Here, take mine if you prefer it, I don’t mind either.” you handed him your goblet but he did not take it.

“I don’t want to take it.” He lowered his eyes and you could have sworn he was blushing slightly. “I prefer it when we share.”

Now it was your time to blush. The last couple of days, he had kept dropping phrases like these, making your heart furiously beat in your chest. You felt the heat flushing up your cheeks and the instant reflex you had to hide your embarrassment was to throw yourself onto his own straw and take a long sip. When you realised what you just did, it took you a lot of courage to look back up to him, but you were faced with the happiest face in the world, full of affection. And your heart melted in fondness.


About a week and a half after Jimin literally stormed in your life, you got into a comfortable routine with the man, but at the same time, not two days looked the same. During the daytime, if the heat was bearable for him, you would explore the surroundings together. You luckily had chosen a great holiday location in border of the sea and between mountains, so you were not lacking options. One day you would have a look around the neighbouring cities, the next you would do a hike in one of the mountains, some of them even had hidden historical buildings to visit. Sometimes you would just take a stroll at the seaside or lay on the beach for a few hours. You generally chose not to do the last option as you found Jimin’s bare chest extremely attractive and therefore distracting. And also he was not dealing with the heat too well so that was a good excuse.

Today you were climbing the highest mountain of the area. As usual, Jimin was a sweetheart and took on the mission to hold everything he could so you would not have to, although you were absolutely fine with having your own bag. He was checking on you every ten minutes, offering you his hand when there was a steep rock to climb, and made his water bottle available to you whenever he felt like you could be thirsty. Sometimes, he would use his powers to make you both float in order to reach a more difficult area without effort. In these moments, he would grab your hand and pull you in his arms before you felt being lifted up in the air. You loved every time he was doing that, finding the comfort of his arms incomparable.

When you finally reached the top, you found a nice shaded area under a tree and set up a thin blanket to sit on underneath. It was on the edge of the mountain so you could see very far down the mountain. You both leaned against the tree, next to each other, and you took a sip of your water, offering your bottle to share afterwards. Jimin gladly accepted it and after quenching his thirst, he decided to lie his head down on your lap and closed his eyes as if he was about to take a nap. You were surprised for half a second, Jimin’s clinginess was starting to become a habit to you and if at first you were uncomfortable with it, you were now craving it and embracing all the moments he was willing to be close to you. But the sword of Damocles was hanging above your heads and the thought that he could be gone tomorrow was constantly in the back of your mind. 

Jimin is the funniest, warmest, caring individual you have ever met and you were struggling to believe how lucky you got to meet him. Selfishly, you wanted him to stay with you, but you knew he belonged in the sky so you kept it for yourself.

“If I climb a mountain high enough to be above the clouds, will I be able to meet you?” 

The sound of your voice surprised the man lying on your lap and he opened his eyes to look at you. You were admiring the horizon and it reminded you of the few occasions you were high enough on a mountain to be above the clouds. You shared that thought with him, to make him understand why the sudden question, and he responded with a hint of sadness:

“I would be able to see you, but you wouldn’t… I don’t appear in my human forms when I am in the clouds, or at least I am not visible to the human eyes…”.

Understanding where he was coming from, you let your thoughts wander.

“Is that the way you see the world? Everything looks so small from here. It is so beautiful; it must feel so incredible to see everything that happens on Earth! There is so much to look at.”

Jimin took a second to think about it and for a minute he got distracted since you started his hair and it felt amazing. Eventually he remembered you asked him a question and tried to respond to the best of his abilities. It was quite difficult for him to phrase exactly what he felt, looking above the world:

“It is an incredible feeling yes, but it is so very lonely…” He let that thought sink in for a second before continuing. “There are not a lot of us and we are so spread out throughout the world that we do not get to meet each other often.”

He stopped and seemed to be debating on whether or not he should be carrying on opening up to you about it. But eventually he concluded:

“Our species tend to observe the humans a lot for that reason. But when I heard you for the first time, you were already an adult and you caught my attention. I could not stop looking at you…”

You turned red when you understood the implications of Jimin’s revelations. He had been observing you for a while. Could it be why he seemed to know you so well? You came to the decision of not investigating it any further. You were getting attached to him enough as it was.

***

One evening, you and Jimin were watching a film as usual on the sofa. You had ordered takeaway food for dinner and the leftovers were still sitting on the coffee table in front of you. You were sitting on the floor, your back leaning against the man’s legs. You were comfortably wrapped in a blanket that usually served as bed sheets for Jimin’s 'bed’ and halfway through the film, Jimin started whining to you.

“Y/N… I’m cold…”

“There is another blanket behind you Jiminnie.” you told him, using his new nickname by the same occasion.

The man twisted on his seat and found the object you told him of. He grabbed it and opened it on his legs. You heard him sighing heavily and settling down after a few minutes but then, moments later, he became agitated again and suddenly your back lost the support of his legs as he retreated them when he decided to lie down on the sofa instead.

“Are you going to try and sleep now?” you asked him, a bit confused.

Jimin shivered and stared at you intensely, a hesitating look in his eyes. But then, a newly found resolve seemed to appear and he opened his arm up with the blanket like an invitation to join him said:

“I can’t get any warmer. Lend me your body heat Y/N.”

Stumped, you giggled.

“That sounds like an excuse for cuddles Jimin, I know what you’re like.”

“Fine. It is an excuse.” He admitted too quickly. “Can you come in my arms? I want to hold you.”

You turned around to look at him and was surprised to see a pink blush tinting his adorable cheeks. A small smile appeared on your lips and you resisted the growing temptation to with difficulties. Finally, after what seemed like forever to Jimin, you got up from the floor and joined him on the sofa, propping yourself against his body. Instantly, he closed his arm around yours in an embrace and snuggled his head in the crook of your neck. You could feel his steady breathing against yours and felt at peace straight away. Being in his arms was the best feeling ever and Jimin was thinking exactly the same at this point, regretting he did not ask before.

You fell asleep in each other’s arms that night and woke up very late in the morning. Neither of you knew that you had both woken up at some point in the morning, but because you were both so comfortable in the other’s embrace, you did not dare move in the fear of waking them up. So you stayed still and fell back asleep.

After that, it naturally became a second nature to snuggle up in Jimin’s arms instantly whenever the two of you would be sitting comfortably. None of you said it out loud, but you were both feeling so much happier now that you were significantly closer. There was a frustration you felt in keeping your emotions for you since you were too scared to do anything about them, Jimin was going to leave and it was crazy enough to think that he could share the same feelings as you when you were both from very different places.

Until one night, after you had left the sofa to fall asleep on your own bed, you got woken up in the middle of the night by Jimin discreetly trying to enter your bed. You don’t know why you didn’t show him you were awake, but it made you smile to see how delicate he was trying to be. You waited a short moment, curious to see how he was going to try and sneak his arm under your head, but eventually you gave up pretending you were still asleep, deciding it was torture for him. You lifted your head and curled up in his arms, entangling your legs with his, trying to be as close to him as possible. You buried your head in his chest, fighting the sudden need you had to lift your lips to his and kiss him. Instead, you focused all your energy on listening to his beating heart. However, Jimin did not look like he wanted to hold himself back and, as he had his arms around you, he started caressing the top of your hair gently, placing soft kisses on top of your forehead. Your heart was beating like crazy and if Jimin had carried on doing this, you doubted you could have stopped yourself from confessing to him.

You were not sure how long had passed until you woke up again, but it was still dark in your bedroom and you could barely discern Jimin’s figure next to the window, looking outside. Then a flash of light and a rumbling sound surprised you and your heart sunk instantly. Jimin turned around and noticed you were awake.

“It’s raining.” He told you, simply.

And you both knew what it meant.


You were both standing on the beach you first met on, rain was pouring from the sky and unlike two weeks ago, you did not take an umbrella to look at the storm. Instead you accepted your fate of getting soaked and within minutes, that is exactly how you were. Jimin had not bothered getting dressed at all, eventually, he would need to lose all of the clothes he was wearing or he would never manage to fly back into the clouds.

The wind was blowing very strongly and you raised your arm to protect your face from the rain. Jimin was looking up to the sky, observing the dark clouds covering it and when a lightning fell nearby, you swore you saw him speak to something. There was nothing visible so you guessed that he might be able to see his friends or family and speak to them from where he was. You felt a lump in your throat, realising this was definitely the end, Jimin was going back home, and you would never see him again. Part of you regretted you did not tell him about how you felt, but the other part decided it was for the best. 

Jimin, on the other hand, was internally debating on what to do next. He had no choice but leaving now, it had been a bit more than two weeks since he arrived and he had never spent that much time away from the clouds. He could feel his energy and powers getting weaker day by day so he could not take a chance of staying another two weeks in the blazing sun. But he did not want to get away from you, although he never told you explicitly about his feelings for you, it was impossible that you did not notice his affection for you. And gradually you responded to his affection but you were never the one to take the first step in getting closer to him. Jimin was scared he was misreading the signs and did not want to compromise your relationship. However, as to prove him wrong, you surprised him when you appeared next to him and grabbed his hand in yours.

“You should not wait any longer.” you spoke so quietly Jimin barely heard you.

His heart sank at those words, were you encouraging him to leave? He turned his eyes to you only to see your face hidden behind a curtain of hair. A second later, he got rid of all his clothes and was floating in the air. The bottom half of his body had already turned back into millions of droplets of water and he summoned all the courage he could to grab both your hands into his.

“Y/N…" 

He raised one hand to push away the hair that was hiding your face to him and discovered that you were now in tears. It would have been impossible for anybody to differentiate the rain from the tears on your cheeks, but he could tell. Water was his thing. His heart clenched when he realised you were just as hurt as him, but you were trying very hard to hide it. He cupped your face in both his hands and rubbed your cheeks with his thumbs to wipe away the tears. You looked up and saw a small smile stretching his lips, the tears he had just wiped away started floating and gravitating around the both of you.

Jimin approached even closer to you until you felt his chest pressing against yours, you had never been that close to each other facing this way and even the wind was struggling to get in between. You raised your arms and wrapped them around his body, you could feel the sleeves of your jumper getting wetter with the condensation of water where Jimin’s legs should have been. A gust of wind surprised the two of you and you felt the man slipping in your arms slightly. He was getting closer to be a cloud since the wind was getting control of his moves again. Jimin had spent a lot of time in the last two weeks explaining how he visited the world but had no control over where he was going since it was the wind’s choice. You held him tighter, eager to keep him with you just a little bit longer and when Jimin noticed it, he threw away all the caution he was trying to keep and decided to just go for it.

He cupped your face into his right hand while the left one was getting tangled with the hair on the back of your neck. He stared at you right in the eyes and you felt your face burning, surprised at the unexpected move from the man. He had been getting closer to you everyday but he had never breached the line you both unconsciously drew. He was now so close to you that you could feel his breathing against your lips and it sent shivers down your spine.

"Y/N… I was not planning on telling you at all since I was never sure on how felt. But these tears have confirmed a great deal… It was not a coincidence that I fell on Earth where you were. I heard your voice resonating in the sky that night and got curious about it, and when I saw you, I fell instantly for you. And I don’t mean a physical fall because we both know that happened anyway… But my feelings. I mean…”

Jimin was getting mixed up in his explanations and you could not help but let a small giggle escape your lips. He smiled back and continued:

“My point is, I was looking at you from the sky and leaned too far so I got hit by a lightning bolt. And it was the best thing that could ever happen.”

Your heart seemed like it was about to explode and finally, you leaned towards him to meet his lips and his eyes opened wide when he felt them brush against his. But as you had never been so close to kiss, another strong gust of wind blew and you felt his body disappear between your fingers.

You opened your eyes, and saw that he was gone.


Several months flew by and before you knew it, the leaves had started to fall of the trees, decorating the horizon with rich shades of red, orange and yellow. Your holidays finished a few days after Jimin disappeared and once you got back home, you threw yourself back into the routine of work and your normal life.

Jimin was never far in your thoughts, unlike your holiday location, the place you lived was a lot colder and therefore, you had clouds nearly every day, especially now that winter was approaching. You could not help but wonder if Jimin was watching over you from there and hoping a storm would happen to precipitate him down on Earth. Once, you took a couple of days off to travel to the closest mountain to where you lived and climbed so high you ended up above the clouds. You enjoyed the scenery as you thought this was the kind of view Jimin was observing every day. That day, you spent a lot of time speaking in the air, hoping your words would reach the clouds, and hopefully the man of your thoughts.

Today you had decided to keep yourself busy and went on a hike to the nearest forest so you could take pictures of the beautiful colours of the trees during this season. This forest was one of your favourite to go to since it had a stream running through it. You were dressed warmly since the weather was pretty wet with a pair of boots and a warm fluffy raincoat. You took photos for three hours until you decided you should be going shortly as the weather was threatening. You started packing your stuff when a drop of rain fell onto your hand, followed by another one. The following minute, you were running as fast as you possibly could, considering the trees’ roots sticking out of the ground and tried to find shelter.

You spotted a hut on the other side of the river and ran along until you found a bridge that you crossed with no hesitation. When you finally reached your goal, you removed your hood from your face and took a minute to catch your breath. The rain was pouring heavily on top of the roof and it was so loud that you thought you imagined the sudden loud splashing sound coming from the outside. You peaked your head out of the shelter to have a quick look at your surroundings but saw nothing, so you retreated back into your shelter.

That’s when you heard a voice, or at least you thought you did. The sound of the rain was absolutely deafening and you pushed your doubt away, you must have definitely imagined it.

“Y/N I SWEAR MY IS FREEZING.”

Now there was no doubt anymore.

That was Jimin’s voice, you were sure of it. Without further debate, you ran outside and scanned the area, searching for the man you missed for so many months.

“Over here!” He called you when he realised you could not see him. 

You turned around and finally spotted the man down the riverside. He was trying to hide behind a bush but was still attempting to make himself visible so you would see him. Both your face and his lit up when you saw each other and you ran towards him, braving the rain. You were about a meter away from him when you realised the reason why he had not rushed out of the river to greet you. Like the first time you met all those months ago, the man was completely , but luckily this time he fell into a river and did not drown into the water. It did not stop you and you completely ignored the fact he was to throw yourself in his arms.

The both of you giggled and the brightest smiles were displayed on your faces, you had your arms thrown around his neck while he had his around your hips, hugging you as tightly as possible. He snuggled his face in your neck and took a big breath, getting your scent engraved in his head. Oh how much he had missed it.

You interrupted the hugging session when you realised that he would be freezing in the water so you ped your coat and handed it to him. Jimin put it on straight away as he followed you out of the water. Luckily, it was a long coat so it was covering him up to the middle of his legs. You grabbed his hand and led him to the shelter to get away from the water and when you arrived, he pushed you gently inside and against the wall before imprisoning your face between his hands. His lips landed on yours softly and he kissed you like you had dreamed so many times after he disappeared. Except it was so much better in reality, his cold lips were contrasting so much to your warm ones which made the sensation incredible. Your heart had given up on trying to stay calm and seemed to have stopped altogether. The way he was moving them slowly against yours, firmly but not overwhelming, had you feeling lightheaded. What you did not realise was that Jimin was getting lost in your touch just as much as you and could not stop kissing you.

In the end, you separated to get some air, and you looked at each other, your faces red from either excitement or embarrassment. You were certainly the happiest you had been in a while, and this unexpected reunion had everything to do with it.

“I can’t believe you are here…!”

“I am sorry it took so long beautiful… I knew where to come ever since my friends heard you on that mountain a couple of months ago. But the damn wind kept taking me to the wrong places and there was nothing I could do.” Jimin punctuated every end of sentence with a kiss on your lips, or your cheek, or your forehead. He did not seem to be able to get enough of you.

“And then, I arrived in the area a few days ago and it was so cloudy but the bloody rain would not come!”

More kisses onto your face and you laughed while responding to his affection. You pushed him away slightly and looked at him straight in the eyes, intimidating him slightly, wondering what you were going to do.

“I know this comes a bit late but…” You swallowed and took a deep breath. “I love you Jimin, could you please stay with me?”

The purest smile illuminated the man’s face and he grabbed you in his arms, spinning you around and laughing loudly.

“Of course I’d want to Y/N. I love you too!”