Chapter 1

Unknown Hybrid - Mystery Unsolved
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A new school.

New people.

A new beginning.

Kai sighs in defeat when he stands in front of the main gate. He looks at the large building in front of him, a long path leading up to the main school building. A fountain in the middle, greenery everywhere and benches to sit on. A few young individuum’s sit in the sun or under a tree, papers with them and serious faces. They seem completely focused in their own world, and no one is sitting in a pair or group. Everyone has taken their own place, sitting far from each other and Kai wondered why.

It is his first official day today. School started yesterday for everyone but he had an endless bus ride to Seoul and then to this school which lays a little bit farther away and not in the middle of the main city. It is located at the other side of the modern Han River. A bit away from the trouble of the busy main streets and mass of people who walked to and fro to their job.

Kai straightens himself. He had chosen this. He wanted to stay behind and finish his schooling here. He could have gone with the rest of his family to Germany and start a new life there. A 14-hour flight, a whole new world, new language, tradition, cuisine and people. He could have done that instead of staying in Korea but Germany is something he never thought about before. Maybe the USA, yes, but because of the current political situation and the difficulty to get a visa, his parents decided that Europe, Germany specifically would be a great new start. Kai couldn't really relate and he decided to not go with them. Hopefully, he wouldn't regret that choice all too soon. Missing his family, wasn't something new for Jongin. They had always been busy with work or other activities. Jongin loved his parents. They never ignored him or gave him a feeling of loneliness but he missed them badly anyway, whenever they had to travel and he couldn’t join them.

With a deep inhale, Kai made his way to the classrooms. He had his schedule with him and with a lot of luck, he found his first class immediately. He didn't even have to ask for help. No unnecessary conversions. God thanks.

"Everyone please welcome your new classmate, Kim Jongin." The teacher introduced, smiling down at Kai who bowed deeply in front of everyone who already sat in their respective seats.

"Yesterday we went through the rules of the school and I explained the system to everyone. You are the only one who didn't have that introduction. I will give you the guide book, it is already on your desk. Sit down and read it carefully when you have time. Today we will start easily but tomorrow we will be strict about the points and start officially with counting. I hope everyone who has studied here before has a fresh start and more luck this time around. But we all know, it is not luck but presentable manners and etiquette which leads to your fate. Go sit down now, Mr. Kim."

Sitting down on the only empty table with a thick book on the desk, Kai sighs deeply. He hates to be in the middle of attention. While the teacher had his little speech, he had to stand in the front and everyone was checking him out. He still could feel the curious eyes on him. Kai knew that he was a rarity. No one transferred to this school so late in age. This school is elementary, middle and high school in one. Probably everyone in this class had been here for years and knew what to expect and how to behave. The MEA, Manners, Etiquette and Arts School is famous for its all-around education. It is influenced by the American system but hasn't lost the Korean touch one bit. Extra activity, known as clubs and advantage classes were a must. Everyone was busy from 8 am to 7 pm and after that homework and studying was on the plan. Moreover, Kai didn't have to read the guide book to know what Mrs. Lee had been talking about.

Points.

This system was unique. His friends in his old hometown laughed about the whole thing and compared it with Hogwarts. Everyone in the country knew that the MAE School wasn't attended only by the supernatural beings but humans as well. But because it was a mixed school, the rules were stricter. At the beginning of every school year, every student had a record of 100 points. If you break the rules, be it running late for class or forgetting your homework, you lose one point. If you reached 70 points or less you are officially out. You need 75 points to pass the year but if you have even less then you will be thrown out and can't finish the year. It is hard. But if you play by the rules then it isn't impossible. Kai even heard that there are students who are exceptionally good at keeping all their points together and haven't lost more than 10. If he does need advice, he could ask one of them how they did it.

Kai did inform himself before he applied to the MEA School. He knew what was going on and even though it will be difficult, Kai is positive that he will do good. He never slacked off before; he did everything in his old school to make his parents proud and this time i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter