Final

New Year Yearnings

New year’s eve was upon them. Joohyun woke up with a lack of warmth and an empty side of the bed. She pouted and huffed at the memory of her girlfriend who was currently on the other side of the world, 5000 miles away. She smiled upon the thought of having her favourite Canadian back to celebrate New Year’s with. Checking her phone, she jumped when it suddenly vibrated in her hand. Seeing the Canadian number appear she swiped quickly.

 

“Wan? Where are you, are you on the way to the airport?”

 

“Wow, Hyun calm down. One question at a time babe.”

 

“Sorry, I’m just excited to see you. You have been away for too long.” She huffed.

 

“It’s only been a week Hyun.” She chuckled

 

There was silence on the phone and Joohyun could sense something was up.

 

“Wan, what’s wrong? You’re being silent… just tell me.” Joohyun said being exhausted

 

“Um, Hyun. I’m really sorry babe but… my flight has been delayed and I don’t think I’m going to be back in time for New Years." Seungwan sighed hard sounding equally disappointed.

 

“It’s not your fault Wan, it’s okay, really. As long as you come back safely then I’m happy. Seriously.” Joohyun tried to sound as optimistic as possible.

 

“I know you too well to know you’re 100% fine but I’ll take your word for it babe. Make sure you have fun with the others and drink responsibly. I’ll call you when Seoul countdown starts okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

“I’m going to go back now babe, I love you. Speak to you soon.”

 

“Okay Wan, I love you too.” Joohyun slumped back on her bed and stared at the ceiling, going into the new year without my girlfriend… just great.

 

---

 

It was currently 11.30pm and the Seoul festivities had begun, channels had eyes all over the cities and people were cheering.

 

In her apartment Joohyun was ‘so called’ partying along with Sooyoung, Seulgi and Yerim. Yerim was passed out from all the drinks, Sooyoung and Seulgi were eating each other’s faces and Joohyun was on the balcony watching the roaring city alone, missing a certain hamster.

 

She checked her watch and it was 11.55, she got a call from Wendy and picked it up as soon as.

 

“Hey babe”

 

“Hey, how are you?”

 

“I’ve been better Wan-ah, just really missing you. Seulgi and Sooyoung are making me jealous with them making out.” She smiled as she heard a chuckle from the other line.

 

“Not too long Hyun, wait for me. Hey, are they starting the countdown?”

 

“Yeah they are.”

 

10

 

“Got the sparklers we got together?”

 

9

 

“I tried, but I’m honestly so scared, I need you here.”

 

8

 

Awww, I wish I could kiss that pout away.”

 

7

 

“I wish you could kiss me too, you owe me 1000 new years kisses Son Seungwan.” Joohyun teased.

 

6

 

“Hm, okay. Close your eyes for me Hyun and we’ll count together.”

 

5

 

Joohyun failed to realise the figure creeping up behind her

 

4

 

Joohyun gasped as she felt an arm wrap around her and some sprinklers be put in her hand, she felt warm and knew exactly who it was.

 

3

 

When she turned around, she saw the love of her life with the cheesiest smile on her face, she saw eyes filled with love and adoration.

 

2

 

And before she could ask anything she felt a hot breath on her lips speaking the words “Happy New Year my love.”

 

1

 

The cries, screams and cheers of others turned silent as she closed her eyes and kissed the living daylights out of the girl in front of her. They soon pulled away and kept their foreheads touching exchanging an “I Love You.”

 

Tears welled in her eyes and she was so happy she was able to start her new year off right with her soulmate wrapped around her in a back hug looking at the busy Seoul streets and jumping at the loud fireworks.

 

Before they could kiss again they were tackled by the other smiling, drunk girls who congratulated each other a happy new year and hugged until they all passed out except for a certain reunited couple who were exchanging many pecks on the lips.

 

“*kiss* 848, *kiss* 849, *kiss* 850… Hyun c’mon I gave you a New Years kiss!!” the hamster whined holding her chapped and sore lips.

 

“This is your punishment for lying to me! 150 more kisses to go babe, PECK. THOSE. LIPS. SON. SEUNGWAN!”

 

Not ideal, but it was Joohyun’s ideal way to enter the new year.